NFL Off Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Big 12 media days, and the Big 10 media days are coming up. I think like, today?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
An ESPN panel of coaches and execs ranked their top qbs in the post 78 era and their list was interesting.

They panel voted and their votes were indexed across ten ballots. Everyone involved were SB winners during their tenures.

1. Brady: 86 index, highest 1st, lowest 6th
2. Peyton: 80 index, highest 1st, lowest 5th
3. Montana: 78 index, highest 1st, lowest 9th
4. Elway: 66 index, highest 1st, lowest 8th
5. Rodgers: 56 index, highest 3rd, lowest NR
6. Favre: 49 index, highest 4th, lowest NR
T Marino: Highest 3rd, lowest NR
8. Young: 44 index, highest 2nd, lowest NR
9. Brees: 40 index, highest 4, lowest NR
10. Fouts: 22 index, highest 4, lowest NR

Not considered: Bradshaw and a number of stars at the position prior to 78.

If I had to use the list I'd rank them: Montana, Brady, Peyton, Young, Marino, Rodgers, Brees, Elway, Favre, Fouts.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Wonder if Colin Kaepernick will ever work in the NFL again? Maybe as a career backup.

"He is a cancer in the club house." is the sports cliche to explain why somebody good is not kept on the team. Often because they complain about the owner they play for who doesn't care about winning.

That does not apply to Kaepernick, he sucks actually.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
In what way is Elway better than Rodgers? I'm not talking about what could have been, but what was.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
In what way is Elway better than Rodgers? I'm not talking about what could have been, but what was.
Beats the stew out of me. I dropped him down in that list. I suspect they were considering what a greatly diminished Elway did with the right team and coaching at the end. But I'm not sure you could have coached him into that play absent the diminishing.

Here's the list again, with theirs on the left and mine on the right. How would you rank them?

1. Brady------Montana
2. Peyton----Brady
3. Montana--Peyton
4. Elway-----Young
5. Rodgers--Marino
6. Favre------Rodgers
T Marino-----Brees
8. Young-----Elway
9. Brees-----Favre
10. Fouts---Fouts

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
1. Brady: 86 index, highest 1st, lowest 6th
2. Peyton: 80 index, highest 1st, lowest 5th
3. Montana: 78 index, highest 1st, lowest 9th
4. Elway: 66 index, highest 1st, lowest 8th
5. Rodgers: 56 index, highest 3rd, lowest NR
6. Favre: 49 index, highest 4th, lowest NR
T Marino: Highest 3rd, lowest NR
8. Young: 44 index, highest 2nd, lowest NR
9. Brees: 40 index, highest 4, lowest NR
10. Fouts: 22 index, highest 4, lowest NR

Everyone on the list won a Super Bowl except for Marino and Fouts.

Not considered: Bradshaw and a number of stars at the position prior to 78.

View attachment 25872

Bradshaw has as many Super Bowl rings as Favre, Marino, Rodgers, Young, Brees, and Fouts COMBINED.

Bradshaw has as many Super Bowl rings as Peyton Manning and John Elway COMBINED.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
...Bradshaw has as many Super Bowl rings as Favre, Marino, Rodgers, Young, Brees, and Fouts COMBINED.

Bradshaw has as many Super Bowl rings as Peyton Manning and John Elway COMBINED.
I think he has as many interceptions as all those combined also though. :D

Maybe not Elway and Favre. :think:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Everyone on the list won a Super Bowl except for Marino and Fouts.
Correct.

Bradshaw has as many Super Bowl rings as Favre, Marino, Rodgers, Young, Brees, and Fouts COMBINED.
Yet only a Steelers fan would compare him to any of those.

Same answer.

Why? A big game player to be sure. On the whole though? Let's compare him to the weakest on that list.

Career Stats

Terry - Fouts:
Cmp% 51.9 - 58.8
TD% 5.4 - 4.5
Int% 5.4 - 4.3
Rtng: 70.9 - 80.2

Judged by their performance Dan is the better choice. Judged by their team? Different story. If we only judge by the SB performance then he makes it in. But then, so do Plunkett, Simms, Aikman, and the sure fire HOFer, Jake Delohomme.

So then...

Brees, their second weakest:

Terry - Brees
Cmp% 51.9 - 66.6
TD% 5.4 - 5.3
Int% 5.4 - 2.5
Rtng 70.9 - 96.3

How about my second weakest?

Terry - Favre
Cmp% 51.9 - 62
TD% 5.4 - 5.0
Int% 5.4 - 3.3
Rtng 70.9 - 86

Terry really looks a lot like more like Tebow than Montana.

Tebow
Cmp% 47.9
TD% 4.7
Int% 2.5
Rtng 75.3

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
A big game player to be sure.

Yes...he was great in the big games.

What's more important, a great game in September, or a great game in January?

Bradshaw's Super Bowl ratings:

Super Bowl IX - 108.0
Super Bowl X - 122.5
Super Bowl XIII - 119.2
Super Bowl XIV - 101.9

Now let's look at Elway's Super Bowl ratings:

Super Bowl XXI - 83.6
Super Bowl XXII - 36.8
Super Bowl XXIV - 19.4
Super Bowl XXXII - 51.9
Super Bowl XXXIII - 99.2

Tom Brady has played in seven Super Bowls, and only has three games over 100.0, and his highest (110.2) is lower than two of Bradshaw's.

In Peyton Manning's four Super Bowls, his highest rating was 88.5. He had 56.5 in one of them.

Only Joe Montana was better than Bradshaw in Super Bowls. However, Bradshaw was better than everyone else on your list in Super Bowls.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Beats the stew out of me. I dropped him down in that list. I suspect they were considering what a greatly diminished Elway did with the right team and coaching at the end. But I'm not sure you could have coached him into that play absent the diminishing.

Elway's 2 best years were at the end when he could not go any more. At his level any way. So yes. His numbers are down right mediocre. It is why players like Robin Yount are not discussed when talking about GOATs. They played a long time. And Yount was statistically better at hitting than Elway at passing. He hit .285 for his career. Elways' efficiency rating is 78 for his career. I love the guy. He is like Bo Jackson in a passing offense where they don't hand him the ball.

Here's the list again, with theirs on the left and mine on the right. How would you rank them?

I'll give it some thought. Based on numbers and having watched them play.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yes...he was great in the big games.

What's more important, a great game in September, or a great game in January?
How good you are shouldn't be determined by isolating on four games. Even if those four were your best effort and on the biggest stage. It should matter, but it can't matter more than everything else or we should just keep stats on SBs and, again, Jake Delhomme is in the Hall.

Super Bowl IX - 108.0
9 passes for 96 yds and 1 TD, 0 ints and a 64% pass comp. The rating is great, but he didn't do much to get it. Maybe there should be a minimum number of passes attempted.

Super Bowl X - 122.5
9 of 19 and a completion under 50%. 209 yds abd 2 TDs in that one though. So he had a couple of big connections while largely not throwing the ball where it should be. Those home runs brought up his average. It's also what we tend to remember about him.

Super Bowl XIII - 119.2
A great game. Over 300 yds, 4 TD to only 1 Int and he aired it out 30 times. His accuracy was still suspect (56.6% comp%) but he got it done.

Super Bowl XIV - 101.9
His most accurate big game, over 66% comp and just over 300 yds. But he also threw more picks than tds in that game, with 3 Ints against 2 tds.

Now let's look at Elway's Super Bowl ratings:

Super Bowl XXI - 83.6
Over 300 yds, 1 td to 1 int and a pass comp of 59%. An okay performance.

Super Bowl XXII - 36.8
Horrible game. He was moving the ball down field a little (257 yds) but couldn't get it in the end zone. They sat on his routes and picked his bones.

Super Bowl XXIV - 19.4
Same scenario except he wasn't even moving the ball. That Niner defense ate him alive.

Super Bowl XXXII - 51.9
He wasn't an asset in that one. 0 tds against a pick. Little yardage. That one is one reason his RB belonged in the HOF. Now they don't get to that game without Elway, who had a really good game against your Steelers to make it.

Super Bowl XXXIII - 99.2
Terrific game. Moved the ball well and gave it to his backs to punch the thing in close. Ran for a td. Nice way to go out.

Tom Brady has played in seven Super Bowls, and only has three games over 100.0, and his highest (110.2) is lower than two of Bradshaw's.
Brady's first ring was a lot like Bradshaws first. A team gimme as Tom barely threw over a hundred yards. His reputation gets some cumulative weight it doesn't deserve on the strength of team play and his HOF kicker. But what Brady grew into later is undeniable.

Seattle? He throws into the teeth of one of the best all around defenses I've seen against the pass. 328 yds, 4 td against 2 ints and a 74% comp in route to a 100+ rating.

In Peyton Manning's four Super Bowls, his highest rating was 88.5. He had 56.5 in one of them.
The low number coming in his last season, when the wheels had fallen off. And he still managed to rally the team, beating Tom Brady's Pats to get there, throwing 2 tds against 0 picks. Remarkable really.

Only Joe Montana was better than Bradshaw in Super Bowls.
Joe was and is the greatest to play the position. His lowest SB rating was higher than most people's best.

However, Bradshaw was better than everyone else on your list in Super Bowls.
Again, the list isn't greatest play in SBs, supra. And Bradshaw got a couple of bounces, as did Brady.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Now if you look at playoff performance summed, forget the regular season and go for averages on the strength of playing in elimination games against the best teams to see whose game translated best it looks like this:

1. Montana, 102.8
2. Brees, 100.7
3. Rodgers, 99.4
4. Brady, 89
5. Peyton, 87.4
6. Favre, 86.3
7. Young, 85.8
8. Bradshaw, 83
9. Elway, 79.7
X. Marino, 77.1

Fouts, 70 falls out of 10th and your boy cracks into the top ten.

Would other modern qbs who've won SBs do well in this approach, say with a minimum of 10 playoff games under their belt?

Warner, 102.8
Wilson, 94.1
Flacco, 88.6
Aikman, 88.3
Eli, 87.4
Ben, 84.3

Adjusted list:

1. Montana/Warner, 102.8
3. Brees, 100.7
4. Rodgers, 99.4
5. Wilson, 94.1
6. Brady, 89.0
7. Flacco, 88.6
8. Aikman, 88.3
9., Peyton/Eli, 87.4

If you take out Peyton's couple after his body broke (and counting the SB against Seattle where we saw it) he jumps up the list significanty (89.4) passing Brady for 6th)

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
1. Montana, 102.8
2. Brees, 100.7
3. Rodgers, 99.4
4. Brady, 89
5. Peyton, 87.4
6. Favre, 86.3
7. Young, 85.8
8. Bradshaw, 83
9. Elway, 79.7
X. Marino, 77.1

Fouts, 70 falls out of 10th and your boy cracks into the top ten.

It's about time Bradshaw got some respect. :chuckle:

Montana was the best ever. The above list with him #1 is yet another reason why he was the best.

However, in Montana's 23 postseason games, his highest rating was 147.6...not enough to crack the Postseason Top 10

In Bradshaw's 19 postseason games, he had a rating of 158.3 in a 1976 game against the 11-3 Colts. Good enough for #1 all-time.

Top 10 single game highest QB rating in postseason NFL history:

158.3 - Terry Bradshaw, Peyton Manning, Don Meredith
155.8 - Jim Plunkett
154.1 - Kurt Warner
153.8 - David Woodley
152.2 - Mark Rypien
152.1 - Charlie Conerly (1956)
150.9 - Phil Simms (Super Bowl record)
150.8 - Jeff Hostetler

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I don't understand why the QB rating is capped at 158.3

If a QB goes 40 for 40, with 500 yards, and 7 TD's...he get's a 158.3 rating, which is the same rating a QB gets for going 14 of 18, 264 yards, and 3 TD's.

How does that make sense?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I still don't understand the 158.3 cap.

In 2013 Nick Foles was 22 of 28, 406 yards, and 7 TD's.

How is Foles' stats not better than: 14 of 18, 264 yards, and 3 TD's ?

Yet both QB's got a 158.3 rating.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
BTW, Peyton Manning is the most recent QB to achieve a 0.0 QB rating.

He did it on November 15, 2015 against the Chiefs. Manning was 5 for 20, 35 yards, 0 TD's, and 4 INT's.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
It's about time Bradshaw got some respect. :chuckle:

Montana was the best ever. The above list with him #1 is yet another reason why he was the best.

However, in Montana's 23 postseason games, his highest rating was 147.6...not enough to crack the Postseason Top 10

In Bradshaw's 19 postseason games, he had a rating of 158.3 in a 1976 game against the 11-3 Colts. Good enough for #1 all-time.

Top 10 single game highest QB rating in postseason NFL history:

158.3 - Terry Bradshaw, Peyton Manning, Don Meredith
155.8 - Jim Plunkett
154.1 - Kurt Warner
153.8 - David Woodley
152.2 - Mark Rypien
152.1 - Charlie Conerly (1956)
150.9 - Phil Simms (Super Bowl record)
150.8 - Jeff Hostetler
But Tom Brady has probably plyed in twice as many post season games than the other jokers

Status
Not open for further replies.