Not open for further replies.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Tonight's game:

Atl @ NO
Line: Atl 3.5
Split: 79/21 Atl
ESPN's Predictor has it 60/40 Atlanta manages.
Pick: There's just no reason to buck the trend. Atlanta enters a 7 point favorite on my board. Falcons.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
10. Pittsburgh: if Ben is under center they're much higher. Without him I'm nervous putting them here, but you can't overlook the talent and determination they're displaying. This is no brittle Dallas. 7th against scoring, defensively, with only three teams having a fg advantage in that category. Offensively it's hard to tell, given how their averages were compiled. On paper they're just outside the top ten. Encouragingly, they're 5th in rushing average, which should take some of the pressure off of Vick. And Vick, rust and a little age notwithstanding, can find a way to beat you.

The Big Ten is on a high point (cyclical) for talent right now. They will continue to restock with physical players that play in cold temps of November, December, and January.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Big Ten is on a high point (cyclical) for talent right now. They will be restocking as they have been recently.

Le'Veon Bell could be the best NFL running back to ever come out of the Big Ten.

Then again, it's not like the Big Ten has a storied history of NFL running backs.

Off the top of my head: Eddie George, Archie Griffin

Granite

Hall of Fame
Tonight's game:

Atl @ NO
Line: Atl 3.5
Split: 79/21 Atl
ESPN's Predictor has it 60/40 Atlanta manages.
Pick: There's just no reason to buck the trend. Atlanta enters a 7 point favorite on my board. Falcons.

I agreed. Proving yet again I can't pick a Thursday nighter to save my life.:bang:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Le'Veon Bell could be the best NFL running back to ever come out of the Big Ten.

Then again, it's not like the Big Ten has a storied history of NFL running backs.

Off the top of my head: Eddie George, Archie Griffin

The average career for a running back in the NFL is only about 5 years. And the way the Big Ten uses them, it makes it worse. A bunch have had short careers. Like Larry Johnson and Beanie Wells. Eddie George's long career seems to be the exception.

I won't count Franco Harris as a Big Ten running back like the Big Ten Network does. I like watching their football coverage, but they say dumb things like that. Or including Nebraska in their history. Uh, no.

The Steelers, Patriots, even the hapless Browns are going to watch this Saturday's game between Penn State and Ohio State. I am not sold on Hackenberg. He is too soft, and that is bottom line. He impresses in workouts like Andrew Luck and John Elway, but folds like a wet towel when a DE is in his face. What will he do when JJ Watt is coming his direction? I think the Steelers pass on him.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I agreed. Proving yet again I can't pick a Thursday nighter to save my life.:bang:

When picking, sometimes you have to look at the handicappers stats and not just the standard stuff. New Orleans has beaten the Falcons in New Orleans 8 of 10 games (recent history) in New Orleans.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
It could be worse. I'd picked the Saints to pull another "back against the wall" upset on my gut pick for the ESPN game then literally talked myself into the loss. :mmph:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
I guess Town has his picks set for Sunday, do you guys have a non-monetary pool or contest, keeping weekly and season predictions ? who is in it and what are the records ?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I guess Town has his picks set for Sunday, do you guys have a non-monetary pool or contest, keeping weekly and season predictions ? who is in it and what are the records ?
Too much on the plate to do more than quick pick and hope.

Cin is a fg favorite over Buf. in Buf. The action is split 79/81 in favor of the visiting Bengals. What makes this game dangerous is the same thing that made the Saints game dangerous. You have a team at home that really needs the win against a visitor that doesn't. I'll take the Bengals to not behave like the Bengals of old and send the Bills into the ropes.

Chi @ Det a fg dog with action split 56/44 Det. They're both bad but the Lions are bound to win one and this might be their best shot at something. Reluctantly, I'll take the team I berate weekly and take the Lions.

Den @ Cle in a game just about everyone knows they should win, but the question is can they win by the 4.5 line Vegas has in mind. The money says yes by a 74/26 margin. I'll take it as well, because how many of those games can the journeyman have and how many against this good an offense. Conversely, Peyton is due.

Mia @ Ten? Say it ain't so. Anyway, the line on this dog is the Titans and 3. Given the upheaval in Miami it's hard to see their ship righted anytime soon. Or maybe they'll do for their new coach what SF once did for Singletary...but I wouldn't count on it. Titans.

KC @ Min with the home team a 3.5 fav and the money split 74/26 in support of the line. With Charles out the lion's share of the offense falls on the uninspiring shoulders of Alex Smith, who has managed five tds to date against 3 ints. I'm going with the Vikings.

Was @ Jets with the Jets a 5.5 and a 65/35 thumbs up from the money. Washington is a team that can beat anyone on a given day, but not consistently. So I hate them. The Jets have put together the 12 most productive offense and the stingiest defense on points. The only concern here is that Washington has an anemic offense (with troubling bursts of competence) but a tough enough defense to make the 5.5 bothersome. I'll walk gingerly out on that limb but hate myself for it. Jets.

Ariz@ Pit in a game I hate worse than Washington's offense. Arz is a 3.5 fav and the money is on board 73/27. Absent a wake up game by Vick it's asking too much of the Steelers D.

Hou @ Jac with the visitors a half point favorite. :plain: Oh who cares? I'll go with the Texans to get it done with defense and take home a rare win.

Car @Sea with the Hawks a 6.5 favorite against the visitor and the money split evenly between them. It's the line, mostly, and the less than impressive play from under center for Seattle. That's the woeful narrative in the air, only Wilson hasn't been awful. He just hasn't been that productive in the td department. His rating is a hair from the 100 plus club. The real problem in Seattle is the lack of a beastly running game. I don't like this line and I'm taking the lesser Panthers to put a scare into Seattle and keep it close. Give me Carolina.

SD @ GB? The favorite is a 9.5 no brainer with 65/35 of the money along for the ride. That's a lot of points, but it's the Pack at home and Rodgers is a bad man at home. Sure. I'll take the preposterous points...and watch them run it to death and a four point margin. No, I'm sticking...Green Bay.

Bal @ SF with the troubled Ravens a fg favorite over the home team. Money? 52/48 with the line. I'll take the Ravens to salvage a little pride and win by closer to six.

NE @ Indy for the revenge bowl? The Pats are a 7.5 favorite with 80/20 of the betting public nodding sagely. I'm going to play for the points upset here and say Indy finds a way to keep it from being that embarrassing. More of a three to six point loss. And if they can keep it within a fg, who knows?

Gia @ Phi with Philly a 3.5 favorite and the split coming in at 63/37 for a Giant's upset. :think: Now I'm going to be contrarian. I like Philly to keep themselves in the conversation with a much needed win.

So that's me and the seat of my pants this week. :eek:

Granite

Hall of Fame
I think San Diego keeps it a lot closer than people expect. And I don't believe in Philly.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
How many people had Landry Jones and Martavis Bryant in their fantasy lineups today?

If somehow you did, you got a lot of points from the two of them.

Granite

Hall of Fame
The Steelers and their dog torturing QB had no business winning that game. Pretty annoyed with Arizona right now.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Too much on the plate to do more than quick pick and hope.

Going in 0-1
Cin is a fg favorite over Buf. in Buf. The action is split 79/81 in favor of the visiting Bengals. What makes this game dangerous is the same thing that made the Saints game dangerous. You have a team at home that really needs the win against a visitor that doesn't. I'll take the Bengals to not behave like the Bengals of old and send the Bills into the ropes.
BAM 1-1 :D

Mia @ Ten? Say it ain't so. Anyway, the line on this dog is the Titans and 3. Given the upheaval in Miami it's hard to see their ship righted anytime soon. Or maybe they'll do for their new coach what SF once did for Singletary...but I wouldn't count on it. Titans.
Son of a gun, they did. :mmph: 1-2

KC @ Min with the home team a 3.5 fav and the money split 74/26 in support of the line. With Charles out the lion's share of the offense falls on the uninspiring shoulders of Alex Smith, who has managed five tds to date against 3 ints. I'm going with the Vikings.
BAM 2-2

Was @ Jets with the Jets a 5.5 and a 65/35 thumbs up from the money. Washington is a team that can beat anyone on a given day, but not consistently. So I hate them. The Jets have put together the 12 most productive offense and the stingiest defense on points. The only concern here is that Washington has an anemic offense (with troubling bursts of competence) but a tough enough defense to make the 5.5 bothersome. I'll walk gingerly out on that limb but hate myself for it. Jets.
3-2

Ariz@ Pit in a game I hate worse than Washington's offense. Arz is a 3.5 fav and the money is on board 73/27. Absent a wake up game by Vick it's asking too much of the Steelers D.
Ah, man. Another one I talked myself out of. Had it closer, but I just couldn't trust Vick. Didn't realize I wouldn't have to. :mmph: 3-3

Hou @ Jac with the visitors a half point favorite. :plain: Oh who cares? I'll go with the Texans to get it done with defense and take home a rare win.
Thank you, Houston. 4-3

Den @ Cle in a game just about everyone knows they should win, but the question is can they win by the 4.5 line Vegas has in mind. The money says yes by a 74/26 margin. I'll take it as well, because how many of those games can the journeyman have and how many against this good an offense. Conversely, Peyton is due.
Speaking of, this one is going to overtime. Manning looked weak early, but his wrs have been popping up and dropping balls that should have had this one over. Sanders will be out for the OT.

A Denver win, but not by enough. :mmph: 4-4

Chi @ Det a fg dog with action split 56/44 Det. They're both bad but the Lions are bound to win one and this might be their best shot at something. Reluctantly, I'll take the team I berate weekly and take the Lions.
Nice day by the beleaguered Stafford, over 300 yds, 4 td to 1 int. But there's no denying the will to not win...and this one is going to overtime. Apparently no one wants to win this game. Still ongoing.
Finally. 5-4

Car @Sea with the Hawks a 6.5 favorite against the visitor and the money split evenly between them. It's the line, mostly, and the less than impressive play from under center for Seattle. That's the woeful narrative in the air, only Wilson hasn't been awful. He just hasn't been that productive in the td department. His rating is a hair from the 100 plus club. The real problem in Seattle is the lack of a beastly running game. I don't like this line and I'm taking the lesser Panthers to put a scare into Seattle and keep it close. Give me Carolina.
6-4

SD @ GB? The favorite is a 9.5 no brainer with 65/35 of the money along for the ride. That's a lot of points, but it's the Pack at home and Rodgers is a bad man at home. Sure. I'll take the preposterous points...and watch them run it to death and a four point margin. No, I'm sticking...Green Bay.
Ah, man...shouldn't have taken the preposterous points. :eek: 6-5

Bal @ SF with the troubled Ravens a fg favorite over the home team. Money? 52/48 with the line. I'll take the Ravens to salvage a little pride and win by closer to six.
The Ravens are done. 6-6

To put this week in perspective, that 6-6 is holding as the average in ESPN's contest. Really awful week. Come on, Colts. Keep it close. :thumb:

NE @ Indy for the revenge bowl? The Pats are a 7.5 favorite with 80/20 of the betting public nodding sagely. I'm going to play for the points upset here and say Indy finds a way to keep it from being that embarrassing. More of a three to six point loss. And if they can keep it within a fg, who knows?
7-6

Gia @ Phi with Philly a 3.5 favorite and the split coming in at 63/37 for a Giant's upset. :think: Now I'm going to be contrarian. I like Philly to keep themselves in the conversation with a much needed win.
8-6 And this week I'll take it.

Last edited:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Steelers and their dog torturing QB had no business winning that game. Pretty annoyed with Arizona right now.

Yes, but now we have a QB literally named after Tom Landry.

The rest of the AFC knows they do not want to face a healthy Steelers team in the playoffs.

When healthy, the Steelers are just as good as any team in the AFC.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Yes, but now we have a QB literally named after Tom Landry.

The rest of the AFC knows they do not want to face a healthy Steelers team in the playoffs.

When healthy, the Steelers are just as good as any team in the AFC.

I was hoping they'd have the decency to flush their season along with two other teams in their division. Well, if it's them and the Jets in a round-one matchup, anything can happen. They just refuse to go away.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Can you imagine being a Dallas Cowboy's fan, naming your son "Landry" after Tom Landry, and then your son is QB for the team that beat Tom Landry twice in the Super Bowl?

Talk about irony.

7570208.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.