NBA 2016-17

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
One other thing I'd like to mention.

The Penguins won their 5th Cup on the road in Nashville the other night. All 5 of the Penguins Cups have come on the road.

The Nashville fans were the most disrespectful, white trash, low lives, I have ever seen.

The Pens previously won in Minneapolis, Chicago, Detroit, and San Jose. In each city, the fans applauded when the Stanley Cup was presented to the Pens.

In Nashville, they booed, and threw things onto the ice. NBC couldn't even do their live post-game show because the Nashville fans were screaming "get the @#&* out of Nashville".

Carrie Underwood, Keith Urban, Luke Bryan, Garth Brooks, Vince Gill, Kelly Clarkson, and all the other Country stars at the game couldn't help the fact that Nashville is nothing but white trash.

Even in Liberal San Jose, Detroit, Chicago, and Minneapolis they had class.

All this did was make me hate the Tennessee Titans and Country music more than I used to.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Like I told TH, I have a new respect for Kerr. However, I think Gregg Popovich is Liberal trash. I used to like the Spurs, but not anymore. I loved it when the Warriors swept them.
I like both of them, though I don't agree with both of them on any number of things. Pop is just that grandpa. The one who figures it's time to largely forget about self-editing. He's going to tell you exactly what he thinks about anything you ask him. Why not? What can you do to him at this point? Life is his game now and he's going to travel and palm when he feels like it. Blow your dad-blasted whistle til your face implodes. He's not listening to it. :chuckle:

Do you know why they call it "FiveThirityEight"?
:think: It's the number of the shadow lords of our unseen world government?

It takes its name from the number of electors in the Electoral College.
Or that one.

It's definitely one of those. :plain:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
A poll of the greatest teams in NBA history.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.merc...panel-warriors-xxx-greatest-team-of-all-time/

Sent from my SM-G920V using TOL mobile app
I agree with the first two picks (though you could use the 87 Lakers as easily, not much real difference) and have said so before, but I'd put that 86 Celtic team at third and your Warriors right there with them. I'd be happy to see those guys go at it. I think GS is a lot like that Celtics team in that it has a couple of dominant pieces and a lot of surrounding talent and role play.

I'm more inclined to keep it between the era lines, having given this some thought, some of it with you. I don't think there's anyone playing better in this era than your guys. So give them their due.

I'd still like the in era competition we were talking about. I think they'd win more often than not, but I'd like to see the match ups.

The Berean

I agree there really is no "right" answer, TH. Basketball has changed so much in terms of style, strategy, tactics, pace of play, defensive rules, etc. Also with these types of debates there is a clear bias towards more modern teams. The Pre Bird/Magic eras rarely get mentioned. How do we adjust for quality of play? How do we even define what quality of play is?

Another major factor is the 3 point shot. Steph Curry is called the greatest long range and 3 point shooter in NBA history. Now, I suppose that is literally true but IMO that is greatly overstated. The 3 point line didn't arrive until 1979 and for at for over a decade at least most reams didn't focus on it. Larry Bird once led the NBA with 82 3-point shots made. Last season Curry made 402 3-point shots. If Bird played today I think he would make more than 82 3-points. And think of the players before 1979? Pistol Pete Maravich was an incredible shooter. Can you imagine how many 3 -pointers he could make today? Pistol Pete's final NBA season was the first season with the 3-point shot. Pistol Pete made 10 of 15 3-pointers.

On the flip side those great 80's teams were not designed to defend the 3-point shot. How would they react to suddenly playing a team takes like 25-30 3-point shots per game? How would they react to being forced to spread the floor on defense to over the 3-point line. How easy would it be for Robert Parish or a 38-39 year old Kareem to chase Kevin Durant all over the floor? It would be kind of like taking a great Dead Ball era baseball team and have them face a PED team with a bunch of 40 more hitters.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Conventional NBA wisdom is based on a set of assumptions about how the game is played, and those, in turn, are based on what has worked best in the past. Don’t shoot 3-pointers off the dribble. Don’t throw 60-foot alley-oops. Don’t play JaVale McGee. Yet each time the Warriors add some new theatricality to their game, like the transition 3-pointer or the pull-up 3 or a propensity for 30-foot alley-oops to JaVale in traffic, they aren’t just stunting on the league; they’re exploiting its assumptions.

Whose assumptions? Interesting.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Larry Bird once led the NBA with 82 3-point shots made. Last season Curry made 402 3-point shots.

The 3-point shooting has changed the game drastically.

Cleveland made 25 3-pointers in Game 4.

In the 1986 NBA Finals, the Celtics made a total of 12 3-pointers for the entire 6 games of the Finals. (Bird -7, DJ-2, and Ainge -3)

The Warriors and Cav's had a combined seven players with 12 or more made 3-pointers in just 5 games.

The Warriors made 71 3-pointers in the series, and the Cav's made 66.