NBA 2016-17

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The Cav's signed Derrick Williams today.

That gives Cleveland 8 Lottery players on their roster.

It also means Cleveland has the #1 (Kyrie Irving), #2 (Williams), and #4 pick (Tristan Thompson) of the 2011 draft.

Can the Cav's beat the Warriors again this year?

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

The Berean

It also means Cleveland has the #1 (Kyrie Irving), #2 (Williams), and #4 pick (Tristan Thompson) of the 2011 draft.

As of today, the Warriors would beat the Cavs in five games IMO. But June is still a long way off. This Warrior team is stronger than last year's team but will not match the 73-9 W-L record from last season. I'd be happy with a 70-12 W-L season. The Warriors currently have a +13.2 point differential which would shatter the NBA record by 1 point. That's huge.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
GS was better last year and lost. Atlanta is better than NE and lost. It happens.

The Cubs got it done after showing how good they are over 162 games.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame

Sure, but to my mind the question is how likely was it that they won the thing last year? I think they got help from injuries and I'm less than sure you get the same result with those teams in a given year. Cleveland knew that and went looking for help. GS didn't have to, but they got one of the top five players in the NBA to help get even better and to have insurance against a similar outcome if one of their other bigs is hamstrung.

I think this is GS's to lose, but the Cavs did improve and there's time to shake all of this out. Could be a heck of a series, provided these two don't look past everyone else and get caught stumbling by a hot team...as unlikely as it seems.

The Berean

So, it's the Golden State Warriors vs the Cleveland Cavilers for the NBA title for the third straight year. I got the Warriors winning this in five games. :first:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I got the Warriors winning this in five games. :first:

They should have done it last year.

13392816_1371529126206995_1326490156_n.jpg

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Unrelated, but this was also on the first page of google images.

rousey.jpg

Feel free to laugh at the girl who had never actually been punched before.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I want payback for last season! :deadhorse:
That's not how you spell playback. :eek:

The match-up everyone saw coming is finally here. And it's on a channel I get. :D

I'd like for this to look like a more regular edition of the Celtics/Lakers rivalry. Given I'm a Celtic's fan that puts me in the Cavs corner.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I want payback for last season! :deadhorse:

Kevin Durant will be the difference.

Of his 38 points tonight, it appeared to me that half of those points were uncontested dunks.

If Durant can continue to dunk at will.....it will be over in four games.

Kevin Durant will single-handedly give you your payback (even though he wasn't there last year).

The Berean

One win down, three to go. Seriously, the series should be over quickly. The Warriors are just far superior to the Cavilers, simple as that. And the Warriors have won 27 of their last 28 games.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
One win down, three to go. Seriously, the series should be over quickly. The Warriors are just far superior to the Cavilers, simple as that. And the Warriors have won 27 of their last 28 games.
Right now it looks like a) the Cavs need to play better D than they did last night and b) they have to pay attention to the handle. Way too many turnovers on Cleveland's side of it. Thompson has to perform on the boards the way he should, Korver needs to remind someone that he's a shooter, and in general the non big three for the Cavs need to step up.

Correct any of the correctable bits and it's closer. Correct all of them and its a series. Don't and it's over early.

All that said, last year the Warriors won their first two by 15 and 33, respectively. So the sky is a long way from falling on the returning champs.

The Berean

Right now it looks like a) the Cavs need to play better D than they did last night and b) they have to pay attention to the handle. Way too many turnovers on Cleveland's side of it. Thompson has to perform on the boards the way he should, Korver needs to remind someone that he's a shooter, and in general the non big three for the Cavs need to step up.

Correct any of the correctable bits and it's closer. Correct all of them and its a series. Don't and it's over early.

All that said, last year the Warriors won their first two by 15 and 33, respectively. So the sky is a long way from falling on the returning champs.
I don't think last year has any bearing on these Finals for the following reasons:

1) Kevin Durant wasn't not on the Warriors last season.

2) Last the season the Warriors were a bit drained from chasing 73 wins. This was clearly evident as they lost five playoff games entering the NBA Finals. This year they have yet to lose and they look much more relaxed and focused without the drama of chasing 73 wins.

3) Injuries. Last season Steph Curry was not 100% in the postseason due to the seriously sprained knee. He couldn't drive or "stop on a dime" like he was used to. Then in the finals the Warriors lost Andrew Bogut, their only solid big man. This postseason Zaza Pachulia and JaVale McGee have been solid down in the post.

Despite all this last season the Warriors did have a 3-1 series lead and had Draymond Green not been suspended for game 5 IMO the Warriors close out the Cavs in 5 games. To their credit, I give the Cavs major props for playing hard on every ball those last three games and winning the NBA title in perhaps the greatest upset in NBA Finals history. What the Cavs did was amazing and I am glad they were able to finally break Cleveland's 52 year pro sports title drought.

But this season the Warriors are heads and shoulders above the Cavs.

1) The Warriors won 16 more games than the Cavs.

2) The Warriors had an 11.6 point differential to the Cavs 3.1. The Warriors point differential is the 4th highest in NBA history. The NBA record is 12.3 by the 1971-72 Los Angeles Lakers. When Durant was injured in March and missed 6 weeks the Warriors had an absurd 12.8 point differential. Had Durant not missed those six weeks the Warriors likely break the Lakers' record.

3) Offensive Rating- The Warriors were #1 in offensive rating. The Cavs were #3.

4) Defensive Rating- The Warriors were #2 in defensive rating just a hair behind the Spurs. The Cavs were #21 in defensive rating.

The problem the Cavs have is that their defense is just not very good compared to the Warriors offense. In the Warriors we are literally seeing one of the greatest teams in NBA history. The Cavs are not one of the greatest teams in NBA history. It's as simple as that really. If both teams play to their potential the Warriors are simply superior. And all the available objective evidence shows this.