NBA 2015-16

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Of course not. I'm a Warriors fan but they are not the 1995-96 Chicago Bulls. That Bulls team never lost focus (only a little in the Finals) or let a team blow them out like this. At times the Warriors lose focus and get lazy on defense. Michael Jordan would never let his team get lazy ever. He'd literally slap his teammates in the face if they did. I was a little peeved that yesterday Steph said, "We are the greatest show on Earth." Gee, Steph, maybe win the title then run your mouth.

I can accept a loss as long as they put in good effort. But to lose like this?! I am not a happy camper right now. :madmad:

However, the Bulls didn't have nowhere near the competition the Warriors do.

This year's Spurs and Thunder are better than any teams Jordan's Bulls ever faced. Basically, the Bulls had a cakewalk to the Finals each year, and then their biggest challenge was Stockton and Malone's Jazz.

Stockton and Malone's Jazz would have been lucky to finish in 5th place in this year's Western Conference.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Maybe that Curry-James match up shouldn't be penciled in just yet.

You know me and Cleveland.

However, maybe this could be the year.

I'm 52 years old, the city has won ZERO championships in my lifetime.

I tell everyone, if Cleveland ever wins a championship, whether it's the Browns, Indians, or Cavaliers....GO THERE!!!, Go to Cleveland....It will be bigger than Carnival, Mardi Gras, and Octoberfest combined.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I don't really care for hockey, but I watch it if the Penguins are in the playoffs.

Right now the Pens are tied with the Lighting in the Eastern Finals, and winning 3-2 in the third period of Game 5, but I keep switching back to the Thunder/Warriors game even though it's a blowout.

Hockey is just so boring.

john w

Hall of Fame

I tell everyone, if Cleveland ever wins a championship, whether it's the Browns, Indians, or Cavaliers....GO THERE!!!, Go to Cleveland....It will be bigger than Carnival, Mardi Gras, and Octoberfest combined.
You commenting, on sports, you weakling, scrawny push over, little arms/chin, weasel/ wimp? Good one, Craigie pie, the spineless wimp.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You commenting, on sports, you weakling, scrawny push over, little arms/chin, weasel/ wimp? Good one, Craigie pie, the spineless wimp.

Let it go John.

Take a tip from Nick M.

Leave your theology behind when you come to the sports thread.

The Berean

I love when you post all the near misses and choke jobs Cleveland sports teams have had since 1964. :chuckle:

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
I love when you post all the near misses and choke jobs Cleveland sports teams had had since 1964. :chuckle:

Part of me is rooting for them to make it to the Finals this year and lose, and part of me is rooting for them to finally shake the curse.

I'm 1.5 hours away from Cleveland, and the only NBA games I have ever gone to were in Cleveland, so in a very weird kinda way, they're my NBA team.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hey Berean, check out this pic of me at the NBA store in New York City:

I'm taller than Allen Iverson (6'-1"), but smaller than Lebron (6'-8"), and a lot smaller than Yao Ming (7'-6")

View attachment 24281

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Modell fired Paul Brown-father of the modern NFL, he ran off Jim Brown-Babe Ruth of football, moved the team, then won 2 Super Bowls. I sort of felt sorry for them. That was a weaker 30 for 30. Compared to things like Laetnner, Duke lacrosse, and the fab five.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
However, the Bulls didn't have nowhere near the competition the Warriors do.

This year's Spurs and Thunder are better than any teams Jordan's Bulls ever faced. Basically, the Bulls had a cakewalk to the Finals each year, and then their biggest challenge was Stockton and Malone's Jazz.

Stockton and Malone's Jazz would have been lucky to finish in 5th place in this year's Western Conference.
Using the Elo rating system to take a look at the all time NBA teams you'll find that Jordan's Bulls hold half of the top ten spots. I don't think there's a team with their mental toughness playing today, including the transitioning Spurs. They had to get past a great Pistons team, defeat a couple of all time Jazz teams, excellent Spurs teams, a formidable Suns and Lakers, sporadically dangerous Sonics, Trail Blazers, a few terrific Rocket's as well. Heck, the Pacers could light you up and the Nicks could bruise you underneath. There's a lot of extraordinary physical talent in the NBA today, but not nearly as much mental toughness. I think Jordan would love bringing his Bulls into this playpen.

tetelestai

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
They had to get past a great Pistons team,

That Piston's team was on their way out, they had just been to three straight NBA Finals, and had won the last two.

defeat a couple of all time Jazz teams,

Like I said, those Jazz teams would have been lucky to finish 5th in the West this year.

excellent Spurs teams,

Bulls never had to play the Spurs, and Duncan wasn't drafted until 1997.

a formidable Suns and Lakers,

Nah, Lakers were washed up, and the Suns had one good year with Barkley.

sporadically dangerous Sonics, Trail Blazers, a few terrific Rocket's as well.

Nope.

Schrempf was overrated, Drexler was a one man show, and the Rockets only won because Jordan sat out two years.

Heck, the Pacers could light you up and the Nicks could bruise you underneath.

Again, if those Pacers or those Nicks were in the West this year, they would have been lucky to be the #8 seed.

There's a lot of extraordinary physical talent in the NBA today, but not nearly as much mental toughness. I think Jordan would love bringing his Bulls into this playpen.

I see Jordan more as a Tiger Woods. Neither had any competition.

Look at Jack Nicklaus, he had to compete against Arnold Palmer, Gary Player, Lee Trevino, Johnny Miller, Billy Clasper, Raymond Floyd, Gene Littler, Tom Watson, Ben Crenshaw, Hale Irwin, Tom Kite, and Greg Norman.

Casper, Floyd, Miller, Palmer, Player, Trevino and Watson are in the Hall of Fame, and have 40 major championships amongst them.

Tiger has competed against hardly any Hall of Famers, and nowhere near six men with 40 majors.

Yet, to this day, Nicklaus has more majors than anyone else. Nicklaus is by far the greatest golfer ever.

Jordan and the Bulls are like Tiger Woods. No competition made Jordan and the Bulls appear great, just like Tiger.

john w

Hall of Fame
Let it go John.

Take a tip from Nick M.

Leave your theology behind when you come to the sports thread.

Request denied, girlie "man."

"Hockey is just so boring."-Craigie

It's boring to you, creme puff, because you're a skinny twit, and the only sport you probably ever played, weasel, was beach volley ball, or curling. I played hockey in high school, and, unlike you, weak boy, I still have my teeth.

john w

Hall of Fame
Hey Berean, check out this pic of me at the NBA store in New York City:

I'm taller than Allen Iverson (6'-1"), but smaller than Lebron (6'-8"), and a lot smaller than Yao Ming (7'-6")

View attachment 24281

The punk thinks he is a big boy, and he is so stupid, to post a pic, that shows how much of a twitty, little arms/chin, weasel looking, soft boy he is. Cute, Craigie...real cute. And it's doctored- a "glamour shot." Look at that sullen looking, frowning, twig like "frame." Little Craigie, indeed. You're a joke, clown. Lift some weights-do something, instead of being a rat all day, holed up, posting on TOL all day long, to satisfy your obsession.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
That Piston's team was on their way out, they had just been to three straight NBA Finals, and had won the last two.
They were on their way out but had just won a championship. :plain: They were on their way out for the same reason most teams failed to win a ring during the Jordan era.

Like I said, those Jazz teams would have been lucky to finish 5th in the West this year.
I know you said it, but it's still crazy. Some of those are ranked within the top teams of all time.

Bulls never had to play the Spurs, and Duncan wasn't drafted until 1997.
Duncan, great as he has been, is still the second best big man the Spurs have had, behind David Robinson, who was around for a while before Duncan arrived, as were the Spurs.

Else, it's the Bulls fault they fielded great teams but still didn't get to the Bulls in the finals? . . . consider that as part of the competition rebuttal.

Nah, Lakers were washed up, and the Suns had one good year with Barkley.
The Lakers had a .620 winning percentage in the 90s. And the 90 team was terrific. The fact is the NBA fielded challengers throughout the Bulls run. They were a great team. So much so that even with their best player out they challenged for a run.

Schrempf was overrated, Drexler was a one man show, and the Rockets only won because Jordan sat out two years.
You must not have watched much basketball in the 90s. The Rockets were great with Olajuwon. Your problem is you have it backwards. The Bulls didn't win because they lacked great competition. They won in spite of it and lessened how some people saw those teams. The 89 Pistons are counted a top all time team and that team was sent to the lockers by the emerging Bulls. They were broken by them. Really extraordinary teams had that happen again and again. The Jazz, with two of the top 50 players of all time on their roster were beaten into second place status by Jordan and Pippen, along with great supporting parameter shooting from people like Paxton and Kerr.

I see Jordan more as a Tiger Woods. Neither had any competition.
You're in a minority in that opinion. Again, five of the top ten all time teams are Bulls teams.

Look at Jack Nicklaus, he had to compete against Arnold Palmer, Gary Player, Lee Trevino, Johnny Miller, Billy Clasper, Raymond Floyd, Gene Littler, Tom Watson, Ben Crenshaw, Hale Irwin, Tom Kite, and Greg Norman.
I'm not arguing about Tiger, though in his prime he was better than nearly all of the men you mention and all you have to do is watch the film to see it.

Yet, to this day, Nicklaus has more majors than anyone else. Nicklaus is by far the greatest golfer ever.
He's the standard, but if Tiger had stayed mentally and physically healthy I think he'd have challenged on the point.

Jordan and the Bulls are like Tiger Woods. No competition made Jordan and the Bulls appear great, just like Tiger.
No authoritative source studying the sport will concur with that backwards read in, though you're entitled to your prejudice on the point. :cheers:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I wonder how the NBA brass feels about the potential for an OKC vs Toronto final?

Well, the ranking powers had these four teams among the top five in the league and it's looking like it now. The Cavs are tied 2-2 and GS is down 1-2 and looking to tie.

Wow. :idunno:

SaulToPaul 2

I watched the first half last night. The game is way too frenetic, every possession is a semi-fast break with teams jacking up threes with 15 seconds left on the shot clock.

I guess I am too old school.