NARAL hosts 'Screw Abstinence Party'

allsmiles

yeah, I think it might be some sort of subconscious attachment thing. I was raised in a conservative home, grew up thinking Reagan was godlike... you know. Things change.

Ninjashadow

allsmiles said:
But it's not very sexy, now is it? :chuckle:

Touche.

However, contraceptives are not always reliable and the NARAL people know this. I honestly think they they hope that someone gets pregnant from it and then has an abortion, you know, to support NARAL's cause. It's a conspiracy.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
allsmiles said:
yeah, I think it might be some sort of subconscious attachment thing. I was raised in a conservative home, grew up thinking Reagan was godlike... you know. Things change.

Things change, like the men you sleep with?

Pepper

Ninjashadow said:
Touche.

However, contraceptives are not always reliable and the NARAL people know this. I honestly think they they hope that someone gets pregnant from it and then has an abortion, you know, to support NARAL's cause. It's a conspiracy.

Ok, just because someone is pro-choice, doesn't mean they're like "YAY!!! Make more babies so you can kill more babies!!!!!" They just believe in a woman's right to choice should she find herself pregnant. I'm sure NARAL people know this that's why they're saying teach abstinence as well as safe sex. If it was a conspiracy to have more people get abortions, they wouldn't be trying to support safe sex, now would they? They'd want people to have unprotected sex. People who are pro-choice are not as vile as pro-lifers seem to think. Not just "here's a condom, now go have sex". Just because safe sex is taught doesn't mean that people aren't being told that abstinence is the only way to be 100% safe. I went to a catholic high school and we had a part of our health & wellness class that was about sex. They definitely said that abstinence was the only 100% way to be safe. But we were also taught about the proper use of contraception and the risks of unsafe sex. Even the risks of safe sex. Teaching only abstinence and not teach safe sex doesn't make any sense. That's like putting a loaded gun in front of a kid and saying "Don't play with this", but not teaching him proper gun safety or telling him what the risks of playing with that gun are. If the kid is taught proper gun safety and told what the risks are, he's less likely to get hurt. Abstinence needs to be taught in conjunction with safe sex and the risks of sexual activity.

Shimei said:
Things change, like the men you sleep with?

smiles doesn't sleep with men.

Ninjashadow

Pepper said:
Ok, just because someone is pro-choice, doesn't mean they're like "YAY!!! Make more babies so you can kill more babies!!!!!" They just believe in a woman's right to choice should she find herself pregnant. I'm sure NARAL people know this that's why they're saying teach abstinence as well as safe sex. If it was a conspiracy to have more people get abortions, they wouldn't be trying to support safe sex, now would they? They'd want people to have unprotected sex. People who are pro-choice are not as vile as pro-lifers seem to think. Not just "here's a condom, now go have sex". Just because safe sex is taught doesn't mean that people aren't being told that abstinence is the only way to be 100% safe. I went to a catholic high school and we had a part of our health & wellness class that was about sex. They definitely said that abstinence was the only 100% way to be safe. But we were also taught about the proper use of contraception and the risks of unsafe sex. Even the risks of safe sex. Teaching only abstinence and not teach safe sex doesn't make any sense. That's like putting a loaded gun in front of a kid and saying "Don't play with this", but not teaching him proper gun safety or telling him what the risks of playing with that gun are. If the kid is taught proper gun safety and told what the risks are, he's less likely to get hurt. Abstinence needs to be taught in conjunction with safe sex and the risks of sexual activity.

I just found it ironic that a group that supports abortion also supports getting that point. It comes across as "Go have sex with whomever and if you get pregnant, no big deal. You can just kill the baby!"

firechyld

So, the point of this party is to have sex, which can lead to pregnancy. This group is a pro-abortion group....

I really, REALLY doubt that the point of the party is to have sex. If it was a sex-on-premises event, there'd be even more outrage. Trust me, you'd have heard.

My guess is this is tongue-in-cheek falling flat on an audience who isn't prepared to have a sense of humour on this topic. *shrug* They can't really be blamed for that. It's funny, but it's not exactly in the best of taste. Then again, I don't know much about NARAL... they say they're a Pro-Choice group. How pro-choice are they?