Morals in Modern-Day Society

Quincy

The media that connected us over the 150 years has a lot to do with who we are becoming as well. Radio, TV, and now the internet have all been taken over by advertisers trying to sell us stiff, unceasingly. And they lie to us to do that, all the time. They tell us we are not OK until we have whatever they sell. And they tell us this so incessantly, and so unremittingly, that we believe it. So we become a society in which having the money to buy stuff has become of utmost importance. Especially now that we can longer provide these things for ourselves. And this obsession with having money so we can buy stuff certainly does corrupt us, ethically and morally.

Yea, no doubt. The world around us here is full of materialistic types who love to try and make you think that you're lesser than them...... but won't always be if you just buy these swag headphones, bro!

They should watch Johnny Cash's music video, of his cover of the song Hurt and think about it really hard.

I'm glad to see you back around here and posting a bit, Quincy. I always enjoy reading your posts.

Maybe I've finally gotten over my sense of adventure and realized I'm not immortal, and won't be so inconsistent (or gravely injured) anymore :chuckle: ...... but then again, I only have one life to do all the things! :jawdrop:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
The elder generation(s) of adults also tend to think of the younger as equal parts clueless and decadent.

even as a kid i realized that most of my peers were morons

of course, i grew up in the sixties and seventies when most of the ones getting attention were

csuguy

Morals are a necessity of society - without which society will crumble and burn. I think the question is not whether there is room for it in modern society, but rather how much more depraved can modern society become before it falls into turmoil?

PureX

Morals are a necessity of society - without which society will crumble and burn. I think the question is not whether there is room for it in modern society, but rather how much more depraved can modern society become before it falls into turmoil?
I think technology is distracting us, as well as separating us from our own ecological existence. And if that's not bad enough, it's also being used by those who seek to control us to divide us from each other, and from our connection to the Divine Universal Good.

As a result, the quality of our lives is falling even though we have all these amazing technological wonders that should be making our lives so much better.

I fear for our collective future.

PureX

It isn't "morals" that our society is lacking, it's ethical awareness. Our technology has far outstripped our ethical consciousness, so that we are using all this new technology basically only to serve our greed.