Modern Day Parables

iouae

I have a bunch of tools I do not use any more. I never had a problem selling such things before, but now it seems that young men stay away from working with their hands. Perhaps by Spring I can get rid of a lot of it. I have also been giving away things. I am surprised at how much trouble it is to give away paintings and other such things.

It would be great if there were a local building where one could sell for next to nothing unwanted stuff, and buy for next to nothing other's stuff. They could do the same with tinned food about to expire etc. There is an empty building near us which could be used, but the owners would consider this trouble.

I love tools because try doing a job without the right tool. I presume you have duplicate tools.

And I have many stored paintings which I inherited, but I prefer blank walls. Inheriting stuff can be a problem because you don't want it, but you think it disrespectful to throw it away.

clefty

There was a motorist who was driving down the street on the wrong side, going through red lights, and making random U-turns.

When finally stopped by the police they asked the motorist “what’s going on?”

“Oh the laws dont exist anymore” Was his answer with a grin.

“What’s that again?” asked the officers.

“Didn’t you read in the paper that there was this one dude who kept all the street laws so perfectly the cops pulled him over just because. Turns out they shot and killed the guy...I guess they couldn’t get enough tickets from him.” The driver concluded with a laugh.

“What’s that got to do with the way you are driving?” The police insisted.

“Well the paper did say the dude drove so perfectly all the laws were fulfilled.”

iouae

There was a motorist who was driving down the street on the wrong side, going through red lights, and making random U-turns.

When finally stopped by the police they asked the motorist “what’s going on?”

“Oh the laws dont exist anymore” Was his answer with a grin.

“What’s that again?” asked the officers.

“Didn’t you read in the paper that there was this one dude who kept all the street laws so perfectly the cops pulled him over just because. Turns out they shot and killed the guy...I guess they couldn’t get enough tickets from him.” The driver concluded with a laugh.

“What’s that got to do with the way you are driving?” The police insisted.

“Well the paper did say the dude drove so perfectly all the laws were fulfilled.”

Wonderful!

iouae

There is a troop of baboons living on the southern tip of Africa. Houses have encroached on their habitat. The City of Cape Town pays a Contractor to keep them away from the houses. Baboons which raid houses are labelled as "bad" and are earmarked for culling.

The trouble is that all baboons will raid houses given half a chance. Another problem is that in baboon society, males are evicted from the troop when they get old enough to compete with the Alpha male for females. So these "dispersing males" move away from the troop and the baboon monitors, and end up wandering the suburbs and raiding houses. So they especially, are earmarked for culling. Over 50 baboons have been culled in the last few years.

So what is labelled as "bad" behaviour (viz. raiding houses) is really normal baboon behaviour. Why would a smart baboon spend the whole day lifting rocks to look for insects, or chew on pine cones for seeds, when in a few minutes they can find a day's food in a dirt bin, or someone's kitchen?

So we have "bad" baboons which raid a lot, and "good" baboons who raid seldom. The baboons sleep close to houses, but in the morning, monitors shoot paintballs at the troop, and the "good" baboons comply with the monitors and run into the bush to forage. The "bad" baboons circle back and when monitors are not looking, return to the suburbs to raid houses.

This is a parable for humans. A "good" human is one who complies with God's will. A "bad" human being is one who will not comply with God's will. The concept of "good" and "evil" is purely in the eye of the Beholder.