ECT Modern boredom and the historic issue of Jesus as Messiah

Interplanner

One reason I do not stop posting here at TOL is that the D'ist issue is extremely close to, and recapitulating of, the same messianic issue of Jesus in 1st century Judea.

Call it boring if you want. I find it engrossing and compelling.

I find it remarkable that one of largest and best documented calamities of antiquity, which happened to take place right where Jesus cleansed the Temple and raised Lazarus, is treated with disgust and disdain by D'ists. So are people interested in it.

Today Tam bludgeoned me with her immense logic by saying that the Roman legions which surrounded Jerusalem in 67 WERE Jesus. So of course I'm disqualified from further comment.

If you want to escape modern boredom, read Acts 10x and some good histories of the Jewish revolt of the 7th decade and then evaluate D'ism. I don't know where it is going, but the situation currently is eerie at best--how similar D'ism's pugnaciousness about basic Biblical information and study is to the background of Judaism in the 1st century. It's like time-travel to encounter it.

Interplanner

Quote Originally Posted by SaulToPaul View Post
What little bit he does read from the good book, he doesn't believe. He has replaced the Holy Ghost as teacher with commentaries.

Hi and as good of an answer that describes him , and here I thought that he was reading Greek books on GRAMMAR !!

dan p

I am only interested in hearing STP about once in 3 months since me makes such ignorant remarks like the above.

If he has something agreeable and positive to say, I'd be glad to agree. Phil 4:9 etc. Since he never does, I doubt he has the peace or spirit of Christ.

SaulToPaul 2

Quote Originally Posted by SaulToPaul View Post
What little bit he does read from the good book, he doesn't believe. He has replaced the Holy Ghost as teacher with commentaries.

Hi and as good of an answer that describes him , and here I thought that he was reading Greek books on GRAMMAR !!

dan p

I am only interested in hearing STP about once in 3 months since me makes such ignorant remarks like the above.

If he has something agreeable and positive to say, I'd be glad to agree. Phil 4:9 etc. Since he never does, I doubt he has the peace or spirit of Christ.

huh?

Interplanner

Dispensationalism. Kind of a mouthful.

That is the system that believes there are actually 2 separate kinds of programs running in the Bible since Gen 12, one in which the most important thing God has to do is give Israel land. The other program is to 'save' people through Christ. The two are hopeless disconnected and D'ism does not generally see that Christ fulfilled all things; ie that everything in Judaism was a shadow or illustration of what was coming in Christ.

In my view, everything about Judaism was fulfilled in Christ and paradoxically, in rejecting that in the 1st century, the Judaizers set themselves on a collision course with Rome, fighting Rome hopelessly, and ruined their country. This paradox was prophesied in Dan 9: Israel would be ruined, says the angel, but Messiah would accomplish everything that matters about redemption and salvation.

SaulToPaul 2

Dispensationalism. Kind of a mouthful.

That is the system that believes there are actually 2 separate kinds of programs running in the Bible since Gen 12, one in which the most important thing God has to do is give Israel land. The other program is to 'save' people through Christ. The two are hopeless disconnected and D'ism does not generally see that Christ fulfilled all things; ie that everything in Judaism was a shadow or illustration of what was coming in Christ.

In my view, everything about Judaism was fulfilled in Christ and paradoxically, in rejecting that in the 1st century, the Judaizers set themselves on a collision course with Rome, fighting Rome hopelessly, and ruined their country. This paradox was prophesied in Dan 9: Israel would be ruined, says the angel, but Messiah would accomplish everything that matters about redemption and salvation.

Inaccurate summary.

Interplanner

Nang,
it sounds like D'ism is a delusion from the last line. Do you have further thoughts on that. I would agree. It's sort of like Judaism is doing a 360 (restarting) and not one person in D'ism seems to know.