Miss USA says to love the terrorists..

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
God will deal with the terrorists. It is not the job of Christians to fight the world's battles.

No, you are right. It is not the job of Christians, as Christians, to fight terrorists. But it is the job of responsible people to fight terrorists. And it is the job of Christians to be responsible people. And indeed to be more responsible than those in the world and not to shy away from these responsibilities in the face of danger, hard work and challenge. Because frankly all this pacifism nonsense is little more than an excuse for cowardice.

Buzzword

No, you are right. It is not the job of Christians, as Christians, to fight terrorists. But it is the job of responsible people to fight terrorists. And it is the job of Christians to be responsible people. And indeed to be more responsible than those in the world and not to shy away from these responsibilities in the face of danger, hard work and challenge. Because frankly all this pacifism nonsense is little more than an excuse for cowardice.

Why do you separate what we do "as Christians" from anything else we do?

Or does "turn the other cheek" not fit with your apparently militaristic worldview?

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Pretty sure terrorists fall under "your enemies," "those who persecute you," and "thy neighbor," so Christ commanded us to love them, pray for them, and also love them.
This is the stupidest thing anyone could say. Clearly you are determined to make Jesus' words sound utterly ridiculous.

The Sermon on the Mount had nothing to do with what we should do if someone tries to kill us or the people we love.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Or does "turn the other cheek" not fit with your apparently militaristic worldview?

Slightly surprised you would ask this question. The kingdom of God is not of this world. That is why we do not fight for our religion and the Muslims do. The kingdom of God would not benefit from having more territory which is nominally called Christian.

Pacifism is a political philosophy, not a Christian ethic. Remember all those horrible lefty Christians who keep telling you that being capitalist is against Christianity? Remember all those horrible righty Christians who keep telling you that you can't be a lefty and a Christian?

Why would being responsible for the safety of your family and your nation be regarded as militaristic? It sounds to me like your argument is just emotion.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
He didn't.

He made the point that there is no extra compulsion on Christians to kill terrorists as compared with the compulsion on other people.

Turn the other cheek is not an edict directed at the armed forces. That would be stupid.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You know who they are don't you? Those timid drivers who walking pace slowly roll up to the traffic lights even though they are green, hoping that they won't have to go through them. And they hope that they will turn red before they get there so that they don't have to make a decision on how fast to drive through and so as to ensure that they have a completely open passage in front of them with right of way when the lights turn green again. And you are behind them and you are forced to slow down and wait with them when you could easily have gone straight through.

What exactly is it that the driver was scared of? Let me tell you. He was scared of confrontation. He was scared the lights might change while he was crossing the junction and that some other faster car might rush ahead and bump into him. So he went timidly forward and in so doing actually invited other drivers to rush ahead of him and thus raised the risk of an accident occurring by many times.

But don't let me make unwarranted assumptions. Perhaps he wasn't scared at all. Perhaps his only concern was not other road users but just getting caught by the traffic camera so instead of doing what he was supposed to do, which was to drive normally and confidently across the junction, he slowed down so as to avoid a fine.

In both cases he was being criminally selfish. You know the kind I am talking about. Perhaps you, yes, you, the one reading this now, are this person.

And this is what pacifists are doing with our lives and the lives of their compatriots. They sit down and do nothing and wait for their enemies to tell them what to do, making life as difficult as possible for those who are focused on dealing with the enemies, whoever they may be. This, they call loving their enemies. Yes, they are right about that.

Word based mystic

So many either have forgotten or dismiss the power of prayer.
We pray for deliverance of evil (before) it happens.
We pray that temptation will not overtake us (before) the temptation arrives
Do we really believe our prayers can be answered???
We partner with God and His desires and will in prayer.
Those of us Who do not pray the above things Actually don't believe the above things.

Your action in praying proves you believe the above things.

Does Love desire the rescue and salvation of our enemies from the kingdom of darkness??

Knowing that I am born again and heading to heaven I would give my life for my enemies in the opportunity they would come closer to the revelation of Gods Love and salvation.
I would put myself in front of a bullet of someone being shot that did not Have Gods salvation (so they may have more time to encounter Gods salvation).
That is what Jesus did are we to do less.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

And this is what pacifists are doing with our lives and the lives of their compatriots. They sit down and do nothing and wait for their enemies to tell them what to do, making life as difficult as possible for those who are focused on dealing with the enemies, whoever they may be. This, they call loving their enemies. Yes, they are right about that.
Yeppers.

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
You've obviously never driven in Southern California. :)

True, but I haven't walked there either!

But more to the point, I have driven in Paris. Have you driven there?

Yes. You pray that someone else will put their life at risk to save yours.

Exactly. You pray that the light will turn red before you get there and you do all you can to make sure it is.

Sure, but only by other people. Never ourselves.

Of course. So long as it doesn't involve any actual action or risk on our part. And so long as it is understood that everything we pray for and everything we stand for is the will of God and that we ourselves can do no wrong at all because we are the holy ones, the born again ones.

Those of us Who do not pray the above things Actually don't believe the above things.

That is true. Most people act according to their deepest held beliefs (which is often not what they profess to believe).
Could it be that since your advice is not to act at all, does this imply that you have no beliefs at all?

Does Love desire the rescue and salvation of our enemies from the kingdom of darkness??

So long as it doesn't lead you to think for the slightest moment about your friends and family, I don't suppose you care where it comes from.

Knowing that I am born again and heading to heaven I would give my life for my enemies in the opportunity they would come closer to the revelation of Gods Love and salvation.

Again, I daresay this is very fine so long as you never have to consider giving up your life for your friends, family or compatriots.

I would put myself in front of a bullet of someone being shot that did not Have Gods salvation (so they may have more time to encounter Gods salvation).

And it's highly commendable that you would do this for your enemies and not once in an entire post even consider your friends family or compatriots. It is obviously these that you really hate and the reason why most of us will ignore you in return.

I have a slight question over whether Jesus would endorse your attitude.

Last edited:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
True, but I haven't walked there either!

But more to the point, I have driven in Paris. Have you driven there?

No I haven't, but more to my point, I do think your analogy is rather broad-brushed.

In both cases he was being criminally selfish. You know the kind I am talking about. Perhaps you, yes, you, the one reading this now, are this person.

Non-militarism isn't the same as pacifism. Pacifism isn't the same as cowardice. These are complex ideas that can't be reduced to what you think goes on in the mind of timid drivers.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No they haven't.

And yet evil still happens.

And yet temptation still overtakes us.

Absolutely.
But we recognize that prayer is not one's personal magic wand.
Sometimes the answer to one's prayer request is "no".

Sure. But it does't mean your requests will be granted.

When our prayer is not granted, we still believe God does grant prayer (just not all of them).

Sure.

Does love desire that we let others terrorize us?

Lovely sentiment, but it can't happen.
No one is assured of an extension to their life.
Not to mention that every one that a terrorist kills may also be in need of accepting Christ. How do you propose to extend the lives of those the terrorist want to murder?

LESS is all one can do. If anyone could do as Jesus did, then it was not necessary to send Jesus.

Word based mystic

starting in the 6th and 7th century Irish christians sent missionaries to Scotland/pictland, gaul/france, wales, england,germanic tribes and many other countries.

The initial waves of missionaries to these pagan enemies were mostly martyred. Later the impact of the martyrs as well as the new irish missionaries laid a foundation for christianity to flourish.
What is different in our Christian approach to muslims or any other groups that don't know the truth of Christ?

I am not talking politics here. But an innate unction of desire to rescue and save the lost (especially those that are enemies).

Where is your heart. Is the words of your mouth fear based or blood lust desires. Seeking revenge for past and future atrocities?

bybee

No they haven't.

And yet evil still happens.

And yet temptation still overtakes us.

Absolutely.
But we recognize that prayer is not one's personal magic wand.
Sometimes the answer to one's prayer request is "no".

Sure. But it does't mean your requests will be granted.

When our prayer is not granted, we still believe God does grant prayer (just not all of them).

Sure.

Does love desire that we let others terrorize us?

Lovely sentiment, but it can't happen.
No one is assured of an extension to their life.
Not to mention that every one that a terrorist kills may also be in need of accepting Christ. How do you propose to extend the lives of those the terrorist want to murder?

LESS is all one can do. If anyone could do as Jesus did, then it was not necessary to send Jesus.

Oh Boy!!! This is Post of the Day, Month and Year for me!!!
You have expressed my sentiments exactly!
Amen Sister!
As usual a cogent, thoughtful statement.

bybee

starting in the 6th and 7th century Irish christians sent missionaries to Scotland/pictland, gaul/france, wales, england,germanic tribes and many other countries.

The initial waves of missionaries to these pagan enemies were mostly martyred. Later the impact of the martyrs as well as the new irish missionaries laid a foundation for christianity to flourish.
What is different in our Christian approach to muslims or any other groups that don't know the truth of Christ?

I am not talking politics here. But an innate unction of desire to rescue and save the lost (especially those that are enemies).

Where is your heart. Is the words of your mouth fear based or blood lust desires. Seeking revenge for past and future atrocities?

You pathetic pile of mush!
There is no thought of revenge. But there is the duty and the right to protect oneself and one's loved ones from the depravity and barbarism that is the endemic in extreme terroristic behavior.
We are not allowed to commit suicide.

republicanchick

[oh my, i was hoping YOU were still in your 20's, so you had time to change your "fox news" jargon. please change the channel. try it for a day. you seem to have a fox news solution to every problem in the history of mankind. and the future. you spark conversations, for sure -

OK, I will stop watching Fox.

++

republicanchick

The context. They are warmongers and police statists. The Bible is too libertarian for them;)

it seems a lot of posters here have this dire need to feel superior to... everyone.

I have watched Fox for a LONG time and I see nothing of what u r talking about. Many times their commentators speak of or their guests speak of war not being desirable.

but you must feel superior... so feel superior.

see how that works when you answer to Christ (who is God) in the End

He who is not part of the solution is part of the problem

+

Word based mystic

Tambora We now have the Holy Spirit within us and the scriptures to keep us in line on what we ask and pray for. So yes we can and are expected to do Jesus works.

These are basics Tambora. You are looking through worldly and political lenses not scriptural and Spirit led love.

John 14:12 Very truly I tell you, whoever believes in me will do the works I have been doing, and they will do even greater things than these, because I am going to the Father.

You are thinking with a political/earthly mind tambora. My discussion is how The Spirit of God can change the atmosphere through prayer.

James 4:3 When you ask, you do not receive, because you ask with wrong motives, that you may spend what you get on your pleasures.

Matthew 21:21-22 And Jesus answered and said to them, "Truly I say to you, if you have faith and do not doubt, you will not only do what was done to the fig tree, but even if you say to this mountain, 'Be taken up and cast into the sea,' it will happen. 22"And all things you ask in prayer, believing, you will receive."

Luke 6:27-37. 27 "But I say to you that hear, Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, 28 bless those who curse you, pray for those who abuse you. 29 To him who strikes you on the cheek, offer the other also; and from him who takes away your coat do not withhold even your shirt. 30 Give to every one who begs from you; and of him who takes away your goods do not ask them again. 31 And as you wish that men would do to you, do so to them. 32 "If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners love those who love them. 33 And if you do good to those who do good to you, what credit is that to you? For even sinners do the same. 34 And if you lend to those from whom you hope to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners, to receive as much again. 35 But love your enemies, and do good, and lend, expecting nothing in return; and your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High; for he is kind to the ungrateful and the selfish. 36 Be merciful, even as your Father is merciful.

If you truly know the fathers love you would not be so quick to nuke people straight to hell.

your comment "does love desire we let others terrorize us" Is that just a condescending thought process to ignore Scripture and release our own desire to shed blood.

John 15:13 Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one's life for one's friends.

Do you hate your enemies or will you look at each person on earth through Gods eyes of love and desire for them. What is Gods desire and will for the Lost??
Is it for you to take up the method of the jihadists and kill all that threaten you??