Militarized Police

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Yet another abuse and
the police being prosecuted.

Town's pile continues to grow.
You mean your own pile continues to be mistaken by you for the rule. Again, there's a way to establish rules and confusing a couple of burning fields with an agricultural certainty isn't that. :nono:

journey

The police make millions of good and professional contacts every day. There is a tiny number of incidents involving misconduct.

shagster01

The police make millions of good and professional contacts every day. There is a tiny number of incidents involving misconduct.

Criminals pass hundreds of houses a day without bothering them too. There are a tiny amount of houses they actually break in to.

So no problem, right?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
THall thinks that if he has a handful or a hundred examples of a thing he has a rule, even against the sort of numbers you note. THall is wrong, as usual and absent a better model rooted in verifiable data to establish his point.

Daniel1611

The police don't need tanks, body armor and machine guns to patrol my neighborhood. Militarized police is a terrible idea. Most of the Founding Fathers didn't even want a standing army, much less a militarized police force.

THall

THall thinks that if he has a handful or a hundred examples of a thing he has a rule, even against the sort of numbers you note. THall is wrong, as usual and absent a better model rooted in verifiable data to establish his point.

I work with policeman every day.
You don't. When 1/3 of them
brag about their unconstitutional
exploits, we have a problem.
Only about 1 out of 50 give
two hoots about the constitution
and not violating people's rights.

You are either clueless or a liar
or both.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I work with policeman every day.
Most of them? :rolleyes:

You don't.
And while I spent a great deal of time with and around them and while one of my best and oldest friends is a policeman the difference between our exposures is statistically negligible when approaching the issue of establishing a rule on the matter as an objective proposition. Which is to say neither of our anecdotal experiences is remotely sufficient to establish more than our individual biases.

When 1/3 of them
brag about their unconstitutional
exploits, we have a problem.
If true (and I have no reason not to suspect your impression, memory or honesty) it would still at best signify that your limited area of exposure has a seriously large minority of officers in need of another occupation.

Only about 1 out of 50 give
two hoots about the constitution
and not violating people's rights.
I think that even were that true you'd still have the same problem I noted prior.

You are either clueless or a liar or both.
No, I'm simply well educated, indicated by my understanding of how one goes about establishing a statistical rule. Your lack of understanding that establishes at least one anecdotal that were I you would parlay into a profound national ignorance. :plain:

THall

Most of them? :rolleyes:

And while I spent a great deal of time with and around them and while one of my best and oldest friends is a policeman the difference between our exposures is statistically negligible when approaching the issue of establishing a rule on the matter as an objective proposition. Which is to say neither of our anecdotal experiences is remotely sufficient to establish more than our individual biases.

If true (and I have no reason not to suspect your impression, memory or honesty) it would still at best signify that your limited area of exposure has a seriously large minority of officers in need of another occupation.

I think that even were that true you'd still have the same problem I noted prior.

No, I'm simply well educated, indicated by my understanding of how one goes about establishing a statistical rule. Your lack of understanding that establishes at least one anecdotal that were I you would parlay into a profound national ignorance. :plain:

People are dying of ebola
in Africa, and here at Tol
our resident lawyer contracts
constipation of the brain and
diarrhea of the mouth simultaneously.

And yet more evidence to prove
Town is the Queen of denial.

A sheriff's deputy in Washington kills
a man with his taser. Only cost the
department $600,000.000.

And the code of silence lives on.

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/today...00-to-family-of-man-tased-by-sheriffs-deputy/

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
People are dying of ebola
in Africa, and here at Tol
our resident lawyer contracts
constipation of the brain and
diarrhea of the mouth simultaneously.
I understand you haven't much else left to do, being called on factual and methodological deficiency. I'm mostly surprised that your posts don't consist in their entirety of epithets.

And yet more evidence to prove
Town is the Queen of denial.
To the contrary, I can't deny your overwhelming inability to argue the point, rooted no doubt in your apparent ignorance of the means by which you could attempt it.

THall

I understand you haven't much else left to do, being called on factual and methodological deficiency. I'm mostly surprised that your posts don't consist in their entirety of epithets.

To the contrary, I can't deny your overwhelming inability to argue the point, rooted no doubt in your apparent ignorance of the means by which you could attempt it.

Because facts and overwhelming
evidence don't matter to you.

More evidence you will deny.

http://www.infowars.com/24-cops-and...-sent-to-loot-a-75-year-olds-retirement-fund/

fool

Hall of Fame

The "data" is part of the problem, in a system where the police police the police how do we know were getting the data and not the swept under the rug sugar coated version?

To point, studies of body cameras on cops show huge reductions in complaints of misconduct, I suppose one could posit that drunks, crackheads and other assorted idiots are better behaved when cops have cameras but I can't help thinking that the introduction of an objective witness in the form of a camera has some tempering effect on the cops behavior.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Because facts and overwhelming
evidence don't matter to you.

More evidence you will deny.
Evidence matters most of all. But you're confusing a variety of anecdotes with something they simply don't add up to. That's not how it's done.

Now you can look like a mistaken fellow with a suspicion driven by anecdotes that invite a larger analysis, note the error and begin that very thing or you can hold on tight and continue as you are. It's no great matter to me which you choose, though the latter would offer far more entertainment value, on the whole.

:e4e:

THall

The "data" is part of the problem, in a system where the police police the police how do we know were getting the data and not the swept under the rug sugar coated version?

To point, studies of body cameras on cops show huge reductions in complaints of misconduct, I suppose one could posit that drunks, crackheads and other assorted idiots are better behaved when cops have cameras but I can't help thinking that the introduction of an objective witness in the form of a camera has some tempering effect on the cops behavior.

Exactly.
All points the nutter town
will never address directly,
it does not fit his immoral
legalistic narrative.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
We also live in a society where countless individuals are tasked and/or task themselves as public watchdogs and where litigation isn't exactly a last resort in the collective mindset.

I think that's human nature, but it doesn't really sustain the charges being thrown out as representative by THgall, now does it.

:e4e:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

WATCH: Upstate New York sheriff's deputy slaps man who did not want car searched
Sgt. Shawn Glans of the Saratoga County Sheriff's Office has been suspended following the ugly incident in the town of Halfmoon. Glans, a cop for 27 years, confronted the man and his friend after he noticed a .22-caliber rifle in the backseat of their car.

Warning - language:

cop slaps man for refusing search