Mexicans are Dumb and Will Destroy America?

PyramidHead

I'll give another example of how black people have managed to get on my bad side:

Once, I applied for a state job. The interviewer was a black lady. One of the exam questions was as follows: "What would you do if someone used a racial slur?" My answer: "Wait...like, if someone else used a racial slur at me?" Apparently, it's possible that a poor black person might use a racial slur against a white guy.

I didn't get that job. :noid:

That was your answer to the question? Another question? The right answer, whether you think it or not, is to reprimand or report them, even if you wouldn't do it. I don't think anybody would look at your questionable response and say 'well that's exactly the answer we were looking for', black or not.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
That was your answer to the question? Another question? The right answer, whether you think it or not, is to reprimand or report them, even if you wouldn't do it. I don't think anybody would look at your questionable response and say 'well that's exactly the answer we were looking for', black or not.

Oh. Well, I did give an answer after. Basically, I said: "Uh...I'd ignore it and keep talking?" That's a good point, though.

Still. Really?

Black people using racial slurs at me actually is an issue which has to be brought up on a job interview? C'mon. I'm sure how you can see why that doesn't exactly make me all giddy about a future in which there are more blacks and less whites.

A future in which black pop-culture apparently is the dominant pop-culture? A culture in which apparently nobody knows how to pronounce the letter "r"? A culture in which people listen to music which isn't actually music? A culture in which it's apparently OK to use the "n" word...if you're black, but you actually get asked on a job interview, if you're white, what you'd do if a black person used a racial slur at you?

Hip hip hooray...?

And that's just black people. Mexicans annoy me even more, if that's possible. :mmph:

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Trad, instead of responding to your points, I'm going to say that I can admire your bluntness and that you have developed a thick skin, in a good way.

Because what you're saying is pretentious

Saying Trad is being pretentious is like saying the Pope is being Catholic. :chuckle:

PyramidHead

My daughter in law is Mexican also...Which makes my Grandson low IQ'ed I guess. :think:

Someone forgot to tell him that though; at 18 mos. of age he's a little whiz at finding what he wants on his Mama's Ipad. :chuckle:

Hate to sound stereotypical, but many latinos I know (Mexican, El Salvadorian, Honduran, whatever) tend to work very very hard, both at their jobs and on household tasks, and especially raising their children. This one Honduran guy I lived by for a bit would fix my car for free so he could teach his 13 year old son some stuff.

And that's pretty awesome, maybe my little homie can learn how to in 17 ;) but he's merely a newborn as of right now

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Black people using racial slurs at me actually is an issue which has to be brought up on a job interview? C'mon. I'm sure how you can see why that doesn't exactly make me all giddy about a future in which there are more blacks and less whites.

you-are-a-cracker.jpg

keypurr

Strictly speaking, I don't think that his claim is racist. It sounds racist, but in the strictest sense, it's not racist. The claim isn't that all Mexicans are stupid and are likely to destroy America, or that Mexicans genetically are predisposed to be stupid and destroy America.

What he seems to be saying is that the vast majority of the Mexicans who are immigrating to America are stupid. This seems plausible: immigrants tend to be poor, and poor people tend to be stupid. Like tends to generate like. Poor, stupid parents tend to beget poor, stupid children.

So if you have an influx of poor, stupid, unskilled people (Mexican or otherwise) into the country, people who are likely to generate poor, stupid, unskilled children...how can this not have serious consequences for the country?

I think that his analysis is just spot on. He should have stood his ground.

I agree with you trad. I do not think he is a racist, he is just stating facts about the majority. They are no different than the others who came here to restart their lives. They have to start at the bottom and work their way into the culture like our forefathers did.

PyramidHead

Oh. Well, I did give an answer after. Basically, I said: "Uh...I'd ignore it and keep talking?" That's a good point, though.

Still. Really?

A future in which black pop-culture apparently is the dominant pop-culture? A culture in which apparently nobody knows how to pronounce the letter "r"? A culture in which people listen to music which isn't actually music? A culture in which it's apparently OK to use the "n" word...if you're black, but you actually get asked on a job interview, if you're white, what you'd do if a black person used a racial slur at you?

Hip hip hooray...?

And that's just black people. Mexicans annoy me even more, if that's possible. :mmph:

Dude, chill out, it's a liability thing because it's a state job. Racism in your workforce can look bad, and your answer didn't make it clear to them you weren't the type to casually use the n-word. You're over-thinking it

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Hate to sound stereotypical, but many latinos I know (Mexican, El Salvadorian, Honduran, whatever) tend to work very very hard, both at their jobs and on household tasks, and especially raising their children. This one Honduran guy I lived by for a bit would fix my car for free so he could teach his 13 year old son some stuff.

That's been my experience with my In-Laws as well...Very hard working, family oriented, and conscientious people. :idunno:

And that's pretty awesome, maybe my little homie can learn how to in 17 ;) but he's merely a newborn as of right now

:thumb:

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Dude, chill out, it's a liability thing because it's a state job. Racism in your workforce can look bad, and your answer didn't make it clear to them you weren't the type to casually use the n-word. You're over-thinking it

I am a white guy from the South. I use the n-word all the time. Usually in the privacy of my own home either with similar-minded people or people who aren't likely to make a fuss about it.

Also, that's another thing. I use the n-word. A lot.

So what? If you're a black person, chances are, I'm not going to go out of my way to make your life more difficult. I'm not going to join the police force just so that I can profile you, pull you over and engage in wanton beatings.

I just like using the n-word. It's a fun word to use. It amuses me. Why is that a big deal, so long as I'm not using it at you (in anger or otherwise)?

Another reason I don't enjoy a multi-cultural society. I have to be racially sensitive. If you're a white guy and you use the n-word once in front of the wrong audience? You're career is over. :nono:

PyramidHead

I am a white guy from the South. I use the n-word all the time. Usually in the privacy of my own home either with similar-minded people or people who aren't likely to make a fuss about it.

Also, that's another thing. I use the n-word. A lot.

So what? If you're a black person, chances are, I'm not going to go out of my way to make your life more difficult. I'm not going to join the police force just so that I can profile you, pull you over and engage in wanton beatings.

I just like using the n-word. It's a fun word to use. It amuses me. Why is that a big deal, so long as I'm not using it at you (in anger or otherwise)?

Another reason I don't enjoy a multi-cultural society. I have to be racially sensitive. :nono:

I don't think you understand the significance of that word to black culture. and let's not get caught up in the trivia of n-er and n-a, because I'm not going to go there with you. I don't think you or I could imagine the cultural differences between a white family and a black family, and that's why integration is all the more important. I think you should slow down with that word, because it gives you an idea of a black person in your mind, the type you hate least. The one with the 7 kids with his pants almost at his ankles at the welfare office. But then, you use this word to describe black folk in general, and somewhere in your mind it becomes twisted, and you can no longer differentiate between a young man from a broken home in an area with a high concentration of poverty and a young man born and raised in the suburbs, going to school, holding a good job, just because of the way he looks.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
With all due respect, AnnaBenedetti, I don't think that anything that I've said in the course of this thread should be offensive to your family members. Unless their parents/grandparents/etc. were unskilled, had low IQs and/or were poor. And even then, they really shouldn't be offended. At no point did I say that Mexicans are inferior as human beings because of this. :idunno:

What he seems to be saying is that the vast majority of the Mexicans who are immigrating to America are stupid. This seems plausible: immigrants tend to be poor, and poor people tend to be stupid. Like tends to generate like. Poor, stupid parents tend to beget poor, stupid children.

So if you have an influx of poor, stupid, unskilled people (Mexican or otherwise) into the country, people who are likely to generate poor, stupid, unskilled children...how can this not have serious consequences for the country?

I think that his analysis is just spot on

That's offensive.

I am aware of this. This is why you don't see me talking like that any more. :idunno:
You just did in this post, regarding blacks. Oh, BTW, Trad, I also have someone in my extended family who's black.

The "racism" that I referenced in the other thread simply isn't the racism that I espoused under the screen name "Apologist." Back then, I expressed admiration for Adolf Hitler, the Nazis and the holocaust and hatred for the Jews.

It's really not like that nowadays. I've renounced that.
Publicly? Where?

Today, it's more of a practical racism. I probably shouldn't do this, but I tend to use racial slurs in private...mainly because I find it personally amusing, and it tends to get an amusing reaction from friends of mine. Not to mention that I tend to avoid certain people. If I see a poorly dressed black person or hispanic (you know the kind of dress I'm talking about) headed my way...I'm crossing the street.

And when I see a black person or a Mexican (or even an Asian) doing his/her job poorly, failing to speak English properly (or worse, not speaking English), displaying a marked lack of intelligence (which is pretty often), or when I see a billboard or other sales labels in a non-English language, etc...suffice to say, I feel a marked frustration that I have to share this country with so many people who aren't of my culture/ethnicity. For obvious reasons. Obvious practical reasons.

Is much (if not all of this) a fault on my part? Probably. But we all have our crosses to bear, and so much more reason for you to pray for me.
That's disgusting, you know that? Do you realize that?

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
I don't think you understand the significance of that word to black culture. and let's not get caught up in the trivia of n-er and n-a, because I'm not going to go there with you. I don't think you or I could imagine the cultural differences between a white family and a black family, and that's why integration is all the more important. I think you should slow down with that word, because it gives you an idea of a black person in your mind, the type you hate least. The one with the 7 kids with his pants almost at his ankles at the welfare office. But then, you use this word to describe black folk in general, and somewhere in your mind it becomes twisted, and you can no longer differentiate between a young man from a broken home in an area with a high concentration of poverty and a young man born and raised in the suburbs, going to school, holding a good job, just because of the way he looks.

Pyramidhead: there may or may not be good reasons why black people might be offended at my using the n-word. The point is that it's because of the black people that I have to care. The fact that I actually have to care is a massive inconvenience to me.

Seriously consider this: if/when I get an academic career, letting the n-word slip on the wrong occassion in front of the wrong audience actually might mean the end of said career.

You may or may not think that it's justified. But that's not my point. I'm just saying: more black people isn't really something that would be convenient for me. More black people = more people who might take offense at me = greater chance of me getting fired in the future because I accidentally let the n-word slip that one time.

PyramidHead

Pyramidhead: there may or may not be good reasons why black people might be offended at my using the n-word. The point is that it's because of the black people that I have to care. The fact that I actually have to care is a massive inconvenience to me.

Seriously consider this: if/when I get an academic career, letting the n-word slip on the wrong occassion in front of the wrong audience actually might mean the end of said career.

You may or may not think that it's justified. But that's not my point. I'm just saying: more black people isn't really something that would be convenient for me. More black people = more people who might take offense at me = greater chance of me getting fired in the future because I accidentally let the n-word slip that one time.

So the problem you suffer from is that society occasionally requires that you show empathy?

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
That's offensive.

You wouldn't be offended if I weren't talking about Mexicans. If I were talking about white trailor trash, most people wouldn't bat an eye: "Those trailor trash...poor, dumb and uneducated. Poor kids...they'll turn out just like their parents."

You just did in this post, regarding blacks. Oh, BTW, Trad, I also have someone in my extended family who's black.

I wish him/her the best. :idunno:

Publicly? Where?

I don't remember.

That's disgusting, you know that? Do you realize that?

As I said, more reason for you to pray for me. :idunno:

PyramidHead

Among other things, yes. This is a massive inconvenience for me. :idunno:

Is there some sort of holy text you hold dear, with any sort of figures a Catholic may hold dear, that has anything to say about empathy, or the consequences of a lack thereof?

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Is there some sort of holy text you hold dear, with any sort of figures a Catholic may hold dear, that has anything to say about empathy, or the consequences of a lack thereof?

I never said that I shouldn't show empathy. I'm just saying: it don't come easy, and I don't like the fact that society requires so danged much of it, and that there's such high stakes on it.

Suppose I randomly let the n-word slip. Let the word be as offensive as it may be. Is the end of my (presumed) career really proportionate to my using the word?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
You wouldn't be offended if I weren't talking about Mexicans. If I were talking about white trailor trash, most people wouldn't bat an eye: "Those trailor trash...poor, dumb and uneducated. Poor kids...they'll turn out just like their parents."

Actually, yes I would. You shouldn't be talking about anyone that way. It's wrong. If you were actually showing concern for their well-being, then acknowledging they were poor or disadvantaged or marginalized would be done with empathy, not disdain and condescension.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Actually, yes I would. You shouldn't be talking about anyone that way. It's wrong. If you were actually showing concern for their well-being, then acknowledging they were poor or disadvantaged or marginalized would be done with empathy, not disdain and condescension.

There's a distinction to be made here:

1. If you're just talking about the fact, I think it's silly to be outraged that someone says that it's true. Rocket scientists probably don't tend to come from trailor parks. Just saying.

2. But however we express it, we should show concern/empathy and without disdain/condescension. You're definitely right about this, and I tend to fail big time at it. It's just not something that comes natural to me. I'm just not that kind of guy. :idunno: