McDonald's

musterion

They're hurtin' bad, numbers are down again, franchisees are spooked but the company seems to be in denial.

McD's corporate owned stores are reportedly better managed and maintained than franchises. What, if anything, could franchises do to recover their lost market share? I say three things:

1. Find whoever trains Chik-Fil-A employees to be so pleasant and train McD's employees to be the same, or else.

2. Keep the place spotless at all times. Especially the can and the self-serve condiment bar.

3. Make McD's worth bringing the family to again. Deliver the absolute highest quality for the lowest possible price. Simplify the menu. Variety is nice but if the variety is bleh, it won't help (if it did, the Dollar Menu would be pointless). Do a select handful of menu items better than anyone else does them. Kinda like this used to be:

Z9XL

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
simple menu
target young and old
clean
friendly

that will bring them back

I will always remember taking my kids to mcdonalds on a saturday morning to give their mom a break

it was like going to a baseball game

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
They're hurtin' bad, numbers are down again, franchisees are spooked but the company seems to be in denial.

McD's corporate owned stores are reportedly better managed and maintained than franchises. What, if anything, could franchises do to recover their lost market share? I say three things:

1. Find whoever trains Chik-Fil-A employees to be so pleasant and train McD's employees to be the same, or else.

2. Keep the place spotless at all times. Especially the can and the self-serve condiment bar.

3. Make McD's worth bringing the family to again. Deliver the absolute highest quality for the lowest possible price. Simplify the menu. Variety is nice but if the variety is bleh, it won't help (if it did, the Dollar Menu would be pointless). Do a select handful of menu items better than anyone else does them. Kinda like this used to be:

Z9XL

I have been hearing about McDonald's decline for a few years now. I usually like Burger King or Taco Bell (I know, I know. Not good for me. My wife tells me that all the time!).

But I did go to McDonald's recently to pick up a grilled chicken sandwich. It was horrible!

The bun was really strange and tasted that way as well. It actually looked like a piece of plastic that was shined up and reflected the light.

I am never going back, that's for sure.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Cold food with an attitude, and they don't know whats wrong?
The attitude might come from the fact that the company these kids (and the elderly) who work for is in a free-fall slide.

Makes for a lot of bad feelings and discouragement. When I feel the same way I always have to guard against projecting my pain onto others and making sure everyone else feels miserable as well.

I am guessing that something like that is causing the bad attitudes to be spread to the customers.

Daniel1611

Every time I eat McDonalds food I say "never again". Then I do it again. I don't eat it often but I do keep going back.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
The attitude might come from the fact that the company these kids (and the elderly) who work for is in a free-fall slide.

Makes for a lot of bad feelings and discouragement. When I feel the same way I always have to guard against projecting my pain onto others and making sure everyone else feels miserable as well.

I am guessing that something like that is causing the bad attitudes to be spread to the customers.

The attitude should be that they agreed to work there and customers are doing them a favor by coming there and as such should drop it when they clock in.

If they wouldnt eat it, they shouldn't serve it to someone else.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
The attitude should be that they agreed to work there and customers are doing them a favor by coming there and as such should drop it when they clock in.

If they wouldnt eat it, they shouldn't serve it to someone else.
It would be a pretty good thing if they would, for sure.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
my guess is they are top heavy
too many at headquarters pushing their part of the menu
they need to cut really deep

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
my guess is they are top heavy
too many at headquarters pushing their part of the menu
they need to cut really deep
I disagree. I think they need to let their employees speak up and suggest helpful changes on their level.

Top-down tyranny does not work, in fast food businesses or in nations.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
last count in 2013
145 items on the menu
how much stuff must be on hand for that?
how does an employee get familiar with that?
how does the customer read the menu?

musterion

Cold food with an attitude, and they don't know whats wrong?

Maybe it's just my area of N.C. but my local McD's has pretty good food (it is what it is but the new steakhouse sirloin burger is darn good) and the staff are generally pleasant enough...that is, they're not surly and don't seem to resent you coming in. I know it's not like that at most franchises, though.

musterion

Every time I eat McDonalds food I say "never again". Then I do it again. I don't eat it often but I do keep going back.

Their salads are as good as any fast food joint's. Better than Chik-Fil-A's salads (which aren't terrible by any stretch).

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
My problem is the changes I didn't ask for that take away from why I ever went there. And it was never for good food, it was for fast food and price. McCafe? What Lean/Six idiot thought that was a good idea to sell coffee like Starbucks at an overpriced amount?

The counter is now very short and they are slower and have fewer people.

It is strange that they think they know more than Ray Croc on how to have more sales than all the others combined. That is how far they have dropped.

Low profit margin = high sales volume = high profits.

High profit margin = low sales volume = low profits.

Daniel1611

Their salads are as good as any fast food joint's. Better than Chik-Fil-A's salads (which aren't terrible by any stretch).

If I even go to McDonalds, its for a big Mac. Although I could try a salad...with big Mac sauce. And a hamburger Patty.