Matthew 12:40

Status
Not open for further replies.

rstrats

clefty,
re: "This is the topic here - your 'commonality' here..."

I don't see where it provides examples where a daytime or a night time was said to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could have occured. What do you have in mind?

clefty

clefty,
re: "This is the topic here - your 'commonality' here..."

I don't see where it provides examples where a daytime or a night time was said to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could have occured. What do you have in mind?

What was the “3 days and 3 nights” idiom? The rabbinic view was, “A complete or incomplete day.” Jewish Encyclopedia, v.4, p. 475 “In Jewish communal life part of a day is at times reckoned as one day; e.g., the day of the funeral, even when it takes place late in the afternoon, is counted as the 1st of the 7 days of mourning; a short time in the morning of the 7th day is counted as the 7th day; circumcision takes place on the 8th day, even though on the 1st day only a few minutes remained after the birth of the child, these being counted as oneday.” The boy was circumcised when he was more like 7 days old.

Jerusalem Talmud Shabbath ix.3 “A day and night are as portions of time and the portion asthe whole of it.” JFB Commentary Mt.12:40 “The period He was to lie in the grave is here expressed in round numbers, according to the Jewish way of speaking, which was to regard any part of a day, however small, included within a period of days, as a full day. (ref 1Sm.30:12, 13; Est 4:16; 5:1; Mt 27:63, 64.)” 3 days and 3 nights wasn’t literally 72 hours. Again, 72 hours was inclusively “4 days ago” in Acts 10.

https://bibletopicexpo.wordpress.com...sive-counting/

there is more

hope this helped...

I remain more interested in the 3x3 dead or alive...when it starts counting and when it ends but do not wish to derail your thread...

rstrats

clefty,
re: "https://bibletopicexpo.wordpress.com...sive-counting/ ...hope this helped...?"

I'm afraid it hasn't. Neither the link nor your comments provide examples where a daytime or a night time was said to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could have occurred. Again, why do you think that they do?

re: "I remain more interested in the 3x3 dead or alive...when it starts counting and when it ends but do not wish to derail your thread..."

Hence my suggestion that you start a new topic to discuss your interest.

clefty

clefty,
re: "https://bibletopicexpo.wordpress.com...sive-counting/ ...hope this helped...?"

I'm afraid it hasn't. Neither the link nor your comments provide examples where a daytime or a night time was said to be involved with an event when no part of a daytime or no part of a night time could have occurred. Again, why do you think that they do?

re: "I remain more interested in the 3x3 dead or alive...when it starts counting and when it ends but do not wish to derail your thread..."

Hence my suggestion that you start a new topic to discuss your interest.

ok

rstrats

And again, that "someone new" needs to be someone who believes the crucifixion took place on the 6th day of the week with a 1st day of the week resurrection, and who thinks that the "heart of the earth" is referring to the tomb, and who tries to explain the lack of a 3rd night by saying that the Messiah was employing common figure of speech/colloquial language of the period.

marke

Whenever the three days and three nights of Matthew 12:40 is brought up in a “discussion” with 6th day crucifixion folks, they frequently argue that it is a common Jewish idiom for counting any part of a day as a whole day. I wonder if anyone has documentation that shows that a phrase stating a certain number of days, as well as a certain number of nights was ever used in the first century or before when it absolutely didn’t include at least parts of the specified number of days and at least parts of the specified number of nights?
Poor students of the Bible incorrectly believe Jesus was crucified on a Friday and rose the following Sunday. That is not what happened.

rstrats

Post 426 should be changed from "... when no part of the night time and/or no part of the daytime could have occurred" to "...when no part of a night time or no part of a daytime could have occurred".

Status
Not open for further replies.