Matt 1:21 He Shall save His People

beloved57

A Promise !

Matt 1:21

21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Faith always takes God at His Word, His Word of Promise ! Now what is the Word of Promise here as to whom Jesus Christ shall save ? Its limited to His People, and not the whole World without exception !

To teach that Salvation is conditioned upon man and not solely upon the Word of Promise, then we become false teachers !

Now who are they ? His People, It is all sinners that He was made a curse for Gal 3:13-14

13 Christ hath redeemed us from the curse of the law, being made a curse for us: for it is written, Cursed is every one that hangeth on a tree:

14 That the blessing of Abraham might come on the Gentiles through Jesus Christ; that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.

For these are they that He bore the penalty of God's broken Law, His People, The Chosen Seed of Abraham !

Last edited:

beloved57

For the transgression of my people was he stricken !

Isa 53:8

8 He was taken from prison and from judgment: and who shall declare his generation? for he was cut off out of the land of the living: for the transgression of my people was he stricken.

This verse among others is a solemn testimony of limited or particular atonement, stating who it was Christ died for specifically, and that He died only for a chosen people ! This is also confirmed in Matt 1:21

21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name Jesus: for he shall save his people from their sins.

The bible has not ever at anytime taught that Christ died for everyone in the World without exception, that is a product of false teaching instigated by the devil ! Also Isa 53:5 still refers to Vs 8 which reads:

5 But he was wounded for our transgressions, he was bruised for our iniquities: the chastisement of our peace was upon him; and with his stripes we are healed.

So does Vs 6

6 All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

And so Paul preached a Gospel pointing out that Christ died for our sins, according to the scripture. What scripture ? Why for one Isa 53:8. God's People or Christ's People. Paul was encouraged to stay in Corinth and preach the Word, Why ? Acts 18:9-10

9 Then spake the Lord to Paul in the night by a vision, Be not afraid, but speak, and hold not thy peace:

10 For I am with thee, and no man shall set on thee to hurt thee: for I have much people in this city.

Yes, the Gospel that Paul preached was that Christ died for a specific people, and to preach otherwise results in the Apostle's denunciation of Gal 1:8-9

8 But though we, or an angel from heaven, preach any other gospel unto you than that which we have preached unto you, let him be accursed.

9 As we said before, so say I now again, if any man preach any other gospel unto you than that ye have received, let him be accursed.

Anyone preaching that Christ died for everyone without exception falls under this category of preaching another Gospel. But what about the many scriptures that use the word world ? Thats is no contradiction because the word world does describe any aggregation of Particulars !

Or any gathering of particulars into a whole Like Jn 11:52

52 And not for that nation only, but that also he should gather together in one the children of God that were scattered abroad.

Yes, that Gathering together is a Whole World. The Children of God are gathered together, What Children of God ? These Rom 9:8

8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.

All the Children of Promise is the World Jesus came to save and died for !

Last edited:

beloved57

He shall see His Seed !

Isa 53:10

10 Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hand.

Now who shall see His Seed ? Why it is the one whose Soul is being made an offering for sin, which is Christ 2 Cor 5:21, and as reward or outcome unto Him,He shall see His Seed !

John Gill says of seeing His Seed this:

or, "a seed"; a spiritual seed and offspring; a large number of souls, that shall be born again, of incorruptible seed, as the fruit of his sufferings and death; see ( John 12:24 ) , this he presently began to see after his resurrection from the dead, and ascension to heaven; when great numbers were converted among the Jews, and after that multitudes in the Gentile world, and more or less in all ages; ever since has he had a seed to serve him; and so he will in the latter day, and to the end of time:

God has showed Him that He shall as a reward for making His Soul an Offering for sin, that He will have a Numerous Offspring [Spiritual]

This Seed will serve Him Ps 22:30

A seed shall serve him; it shall be accounted to the Lord for a generation.

Remember when Jesus made the comment here in Jn 12:26,24

If any man serve me, let him follow me; and where I am, there shall also my servant be: if any man serve me, him will my Father honour.

Thats His Seed ! They shall serve and follow Him because He have His Soul and Offering for sin, theirs. Its also them here in Vs 24 of the same

24 Verily, verily, I say unto you, Except a corn of wheat fall into the ground and die, it abideth alone: but if it die, it bringeth forth much fruit.

The fruit brought forth as the result of His death is the same as the Seed He saw here Isa 53:10 !

Last edited:

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
The context of 'His people' in Mat 1:21 is the literal descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

Mat 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Mat_2:6 And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Juda, art not the least among the princes of Juda: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel.

Luk 1:68 Blessed be the Lord God of Israel; for he hath visited and redeemed his people,
Luk 1:69 And hath raised up an horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David;
Luk 1:70 As he spake by the mouth of his holy prophets, which have been since the world began:
Luk 1:71 That we should be saved from our enemies, and from the hand of all that hate us;
Luk 1:72 To perform the mercy promised to our fathers, and to remember his holy covenant;
Luk 1:73 The oath which he sware to our father Abraham,

beloved57

The context of 'His people' in Mat 1:21 is the literal descendants of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

Mat 1:21 And she shall bring forth a son, and thou shalt call his name JESUS: for he shall save his people from their sins.

Mat_2:6 And thou Bethlehem, in the land of Juda, art not the least among the princes of Juda: for out of thee shall come a Governor, that shall rule my people Israel.

Luk 1:68 Blessed be the Lord God of Israel; for he hath visited and redeemed his people,
Luk 1:69 And hath raised up an horn of salvation for us in the house of his servant David;
Luk 1:70 As he spake by the mouth of his holy prophets, which have been since the world began:
Luk 1:71 That we should be saved from our enemies, and from the hand of all that hate us;
Luk 1:72 To perform the mercy promised to our fathers, and to remember his holy covenant;
Luk 1:73 The oath which he sware to our father Abraham,

No it's not the physical descendants of Abraham, Rom 9:6-8 you are a false witness !

Posted from the TOL App!

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
No it's not the physical descendants of Abraham, Rom 9:6-8 you are a false witness !

Posted from the TOL App!

You've got the context wrong again.

Rom 9:3 For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh:
Rom 9:4 Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the promises;
Rom 9:5 Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen.
Rom 9:6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:
Rom 9:7 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.
Rom 9:8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.

The context is Israel of the flesh, the blood kinsmen of Paul, who received the law and the promises, who are descendants of the fathers, from whose flesh Christ came.

But, then he says that not all Israelites of the flesh are children of GOD, but only those of Israel of the flesh who believe the promises.
Yet, those who are of Israel and believe are still descended by blood from Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

He doesn't speak of the Gentile believers until this verse:

Rom 9:24 Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

Before this he is strictly speaking of literal Israel of the flesh and simply makes a distinction between believing Israelites and non-believing Israelites. Gentile believers are not Israelites.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Rom 9:3 For I could wish that myself were accursed from Christ for my brethren, my kinsmen according to the flesh:
Rom 9:4 Who are Israelites; to whom pertaineth the adoption, and the glory, and the covenants, and the giving of the law, and the service of God, and the promises;
Rom 9:5 Whose are the fathers, and of whom as concerning the flesh Christ came, who is over all, God blessed for ever. Amen.
Rom 9:6 Not as though the word of God hath taken none effect. For they are not all Israel, which are of Israel:
Rom 9:7 Neither, because they are the seed of Abraham, are they all children: but, In Isaac shall thy seed be called.
Rom 9:8 That is, They which are the children of the flesh, these are not the children of God: but the children of the promise are counted for the seed.

The context is Israel of the flesh, the blood kinsmen of Paul, who received the law and the promises, who are descendants of the fathers, from whose flesh Christ came.

But, then he says that not all Israelites of the flesh are children of GOD, but only those of Israel of the flesh who believe the promises.
Yet, those who are of Israel and believe are still descended by blood from Abraham, Isaac and Jacob.

Rom 9:24 Even us, whom he hath called, not of the Jews only, but also of the Gentiles?

Before this he is strictly speaking of literal Israel of the flesh and simply makes a distinction between believing Israelites and non-believing Israelites. Gentile believers are not Israelites.
Yeppers.
Well said.

beloved57

You are trusting in the flesh ! :)

Posted from the TOL App!

beloved57

He shall see His Seed ! 2

Now to help understand this Seed of His, lets look at Ps 89:1-4

I will sing of the mercies of the Lord for ever: with my mouth will I make known thy faithfulness to all generations.

2 For I have said, Mercy shall be built up for ever: thy faithfulness shalt thou establish in the very heavens.

3 I have made a covenant with my chosen, I have sworn unto David my servant,

4 Thy seed will I establish for ever, and build up thy throne to all generations. Selah.

Here we have David as a Type of Christ, and God in Covenant with Him [Christ] by that we mean the Everlasting Covenant Heb 13:20

20 Now the God of peace, that brought again from the dead our Lord Jesus, that great shepherd of the sheep, through the blood of the everlasting covenant,

And one of the promises to Christ, for having had His Soul made an offering for sin Isa 53:10

10 Yet it pleased the Lord to bruise him; he hath put him to grief: when thou shalt make his soul an offering for sin, he shall see his seed, he shall prolong his days, and the pleasure of the Lord shall prosper in his hand.

One of the Promises are, in regards to the Seed He sees, That His seed shall be Established forever ! And of course that is one of the things He see's when it is written of a consequential reward for His giving His Soul an Offering for sin in the Covenantal agreement of the Everlasting Covenant.

That His Seed, or Offspring should be established forever. The word establish kuwn means:

I.to be firm, be stable, be established
A.
(Niphal)
i.
to be set up, be established, be fixed
a.
to be firmly established

b.
to be established, be stable, be secure, be enduring

c.
to be fixed, be securely determined

ii.
to be directed aright, be fixed aright, be steadfast (moral sense)

Thats why Paul could tell True believers this Rom 16:25

Now to him that is of power to stablish you according to my gospel, and the preaching of Jesus Christ, according to the revelation of the mystery, which was kept secret since the world began,

That word stablish stērizō means:

I.
to make stable, place firmly, set fast, fix

II.
to strengthen, make firm

III.
to render constant, confirm, one's mind

The Roman Believers had an interest in being the Seed of David, Paul at the out set indicates the same Rom 1:1-3

Paul, a servant of Jesus Christ, called to be an apostle, separated unto the gospel of God,

2 (Which he had promised afore by his prophets in the holy scriptures,)

3 Concerning his Son Jesus Christ our Lord, which was made of the seed of David according to the flesh;

Paul told Timothy a Gentile Pastor this 2 Tim 2:8

Remember that Jesus Christ of the seed of David was raised from the dead according to my gospel:

History has it that Timothy's Father was a Greek man, though his Mother and Grand Mother were jews !

Timothy being a Gentile had not been circumcised Acts 16:1-3 !

Nevertheless, Timothy and all Gentile Believers as well as jewish believers were of that Seed of David to be Established, more scriptures to that effect 2 Thess 3:3

3 But the Lord is faithful, who shall stablish you, and keep you from evil.

This God's Faithfulness looks back to Ps 89:1-4

I will sing of the mercies of the Lord for ever: with my mouth will I make known thy faithfulness to all generations.

2 For I have said, Mercy shall be built up for ever: thy faithfulness shalt thou establish in the very heavens.

3 I have made a covenant with my chosen, I have sworn unto David my servant,

4 Thy seed will I establish for ever, and build up thy throne to all generations. Selah.

All True Believers regardless of ethnicity are of the Seed of David, as well as the Seed of Abraham Gal 3:29 !

The Believer being established is due to God's Faithfulness to David, which is Christ Ps 89:4 !

This is what Christ sees of His Seed Isa 53:10

Last edited:

chair

Come on, you know perfectly well that "his people" were the Jews of his time. Christianity was a Jewish cult at first, certainly in the time of Jesus.

You can pretend all you want that you are the new "true Jews" (TM), but even you know that is nonsense.

beloved57

chair

Come on, you know perfectly well that "his people" were the Jews of his time.

I know thats a lie and you trust in the flesh, furthermore please review with me posts 23 and 29 and explain the points I have made so I know you understand them, though you may not agree with them !

beloved57

A Saviour gives Repentance to those He saves !

A Saviour gives Repentance to those He saves !

Folks, the Christ of the scripture saves His People from their sins, as such a Saviour, He gives them He saves repentance, He turns them to God, whom they had foresaken Isa 53:6

All we like sheep have gone astray; we have turned every one to his own way; and the Lord hath laid on him the iniquity of us all.

Its the Saviors Job to turn them back to God. Peter wrote of the effects of Christ's death 1 Pet 2:24-25

24 Who his own self bare our sins in his own body on the tree, that we, being dead to sins, should live unto righteousness: by whose stripes ye were healed.

25 For ye were as sheep going astray; but are now returned unto the Shepherd and Bishop of your souls.

1 Pet 3:18

18 For Christ also hath once suffered for sins [died for our sins], the just for the unjust, that he might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh, but quickened by the Spirit:

Jeremiah wrote of this repentance Jer 31:18-19

18 I have surely heard Ephraim bemoaning himself thus; Thou hast chastised me, and I was chastised, as a bullock unaccustomed to the yoke: turn thou me, and I shall be turned; for thou art the Lord my God.

19 Surely after that I was turned, I repented; and after that I was instructed, I smote upon my thigh: I was ashamed, yea, even confounded, because I did bear the reproach of my youth.

Jesus blesses His People that He died for by turning them from their iniquties as stated here Acts 3:26

Unto you first God, having raised up his Son Jesus, sent him to bless you, in turning away every one of you from his iniquities.

So He was raised and Exalted to give repentance to Israel, His Elect Acts 5:31

31 Him hath God exalted with his right hand to be a Prince and a Saviour, for to give repentance to Israel, and forgiveness of sins.

This is in accordance with God's Promise Isa 45:17

But Israel shall be saved in the Lord with an everlasting salvation: ye shall not be ashamed nor confounded world without end.

The Repentance that Christ gives is unto Salvation ! 2 Cor 7:10

10 For godly sorrow worketh repentance to salvation not to be repented of: but the sorrow of the world worketh death.

Thats what Jeremiah means Jer 31:18-19

18 I have surely heard Ephraim bemoaning himself thus; Thou hast chastised me, and I was chastised, as a bullock unaccustomed to the yoke: turn thou me, and I shall be turned; for thou art the Lord my God.

19 Surely after that I was turned, I repented; and after that I was instructed, I smote upon my thigh: I was ashamed, yea, even confounded, because I did bear the reproach of my youth.

If Jesus is Our Saviour, then He must have given us Repentance, that actually turns us or returns us back to God !

If that doesn't happen, then He was not your Saviour !

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
chair

I know thats a lie and you trust in the flesh, furthermore please review with me posts 23 and 29 and explain the points I have made so I know you understand them, though you may not agree with them !

Matthew, Mark, Luke, and John---Who were they written/referring to?

Jerry Shugart

Why, it is none other than those scripture that scripture declares that He died for their sins 1 Cor 15:3

3 For I delivered unto you first of all that which I also received, how that Christ died for our sins according to the scriptures;

Therefore the OUR SINS here are the His People of Matt 1:21 ! Who can deny that ?

"But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man" (Heb.2:9).​

beloved57

"But we see Jesus, who was made a little lower than the angels for the suffering of death, crowned with glory and honour; that he by the grace of God should taste death for every man" (Heb.2:9).​

That's Israel the Elect !

Posted from the TOL App!

beloved57

He shall save His Church from their sins !

He shall save His Church from their sins !

His People are the same ones that constitute His Church. For instance the word people, the greek word laos :

I.
a people, people group, tribe, nation, all those who are of the same stock and language

II.
of a great part of the population gathered together anywhere

And the word Church ekklēsia means:

I.a gathering of citizens called out from their homes into some public place, an assembly
A.
an assembly of the people convened at the public place of the council for the purpose of deliberating

B.
the assembly of the Israelites

C.
any gathering or throng of men assembled by chance, tumultuously

D.
in a Christian sense

For He and His People, His Church are One Eph 5:30-32

For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.

31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.

Heb 2:11

11 For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren,

32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

The Church or His Church,comprised of both jew and gentile, Paul says that they are members of His Body, of His flesh, and of His Bones !

Notice the word flesh Vs 30, remember in Heb 2:14

14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

15 And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

16 For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.

And so when He came to earth, He came to identify with His People the Church, The Seed of Abraham, He came specifically to make propitiation for their sins Vs 17

17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.

The brethren here has nothing to do with ethnicity, it has to do with Him being the Firstborn of them as in Rom 8:29

29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

It has to do with them being sanctified by Him, Heb 2:11

11 For both he that sanctifieth and they who are sanctified are all of one: for which cause he is not ashamed to call them brethren,

All them He sanctified are His Brethren, People. Now did He not sanctify His Church ? Eph 5:25-26

25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it [The Church] with the washing of water by the word,

Nanja

His People are the same ones that constitute His Church. For instance the word people, the greek word laos :

I.
a people, people group, tribe, nation, all those who are of the same stock and language

II.
of a great part of the population gathered together anywhere

And the word Church ekklēsia means:

I.a gathering of citizens called out from their homes into some public place, an assembly
A.
an assembly of the people convened at the public place of the council for the purpose of deliberating

B.
the assembly of the Israelites

C.
any gathering or throng of men assembled by chance, tumultuously

D.
in a Christian sense

For He and His People, His Church are One Eph 5:30-32

For we are members of his body, of his flesh, and of his bones.

31 For this cause shall a man leave his father and mother, and shall be joined unto his wife, and they two shall be one flesh.

Heb 2:11

32 This is a great mystery: but I speak concerning Christ and the church.

The Church or His Church,comprised of both jew and gentile, Paul says that they are members of His Body, of His flesh, and of His Bones !

Notice the word flesh Vs 30, remember in Heb 2:14

14 Forasmuch then as the children are partakers of flesh and blood, he also himself likewise took part of the same; that through death he might destroy him that had the power of death, that is, the devil;

15 And deliver them who through fear of death were all their lifetime subject to bondage.

16 For verily he took not on him the nature of angels; but he took on him the seed of Abraham.

And so when He came to earth, He came to identify with His People the Church, The Seed of Abraham, He came specifically to make propitiation for their sins Vs 17

17 Wherefore in all things it behoved him to be made like unto his brethren, that he might be a merciful and faithful high priest in things pertaining to God, to make reconciliation for the sins of the people.

The brethren here has nothing to do with ethnicity, it has to do with Him being the Firstborn of them as in Rom 8:29

29 For whom he did foreknow, he also did predestinate to be conformed to the image of his Son, that he might be the firstborn among many brethren.

It has to do with them being sanctified by Him, Heb 2:11

All them He sanctified are His Brethren, People. Now did He not sanctify His Church ? Eph 5:25-26

25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;

26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it [The Church] with the washing of water by the word,

TY! God's Glorious Truths are so edifying to His People!

When Mat. 1:21 speaks of Christ coming to save His People from their sins,
it applies only to the ones God foreknew before the foundation of the world;
an exclusive people He had chosen Eph. 1:4 and predestinated Eph. 1:5,11
to be conformed to the Image of His Son: They are the "world" of John 3:16;
the "world" which Christ gives Spiritual Life to. And also, these were already
sanctified, set apart and cleansed in God's Purpose, even before they were
conceived in the womb and physically born: Just as God intimately knew
Jeremiah before he was born Jer. 1:5, likewise He knows each one He has
chosen in Christ: The only ones He loved and gave His Life for Eph. 5:25-26.

~~~~~

beloved57

nanja

also, these were already
sanctified, set apart and cleansed in God's Purpose, even before they were
conceived in the womb and physically born: Just as God intimately knew
Jeremiah before he was born Jer. 1:5, likewise He knows each one He has
chosen in Christ: The only ones He loved and gave His Life for Eph. 5:25-26.

Yes, we were set apart in the purpose of God before the foundation.

I am sure you know about the thread I made on Eternal Sanctification ?

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=75513