Marital Abuse....an Excellent Article

This was a very refreshing article to read....I'm blessed to have a wonderful Christian husband....we've been married almost 41 years....but I know many women who are suffering greatly in horrible marriages and their church does NOTHING to help them. If you happen to be in that situation ~ I'd recommend checking out this support group ~

https://www.christianpost.com/livin...-to-leave.html?clickType=link-more-in-section

honestal

At the risk of starting off with a very controversial post :unsure::

Although I believe very much in living by, and believing, every word of God...

There are times when common sense, or my heart :rolleyes:, tells me that the common understanding of what God's word teaches just can't be right:

Example #1--If I refuse to surrender myself to God He will burn me forever, and ever, and ever, and ever. A million years from now I'll still be writhing in unbearable pain... with no end ever to come. :cry: That just can't be true.

Example #2--An abused woman must remain married to her abusive husband--as long as he doesn't commit adultery. :cry:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
At the risk of starting off with a very controversial post :unsure::

Although I believe very much in living by, and believing, every word of God...

There are times when common sense, or my heart :rolleyes:, tells me that the common understanding of what God's word teaches just can't be right:

Example #1--If I refuse to surrender myself to God He will burn me forever, and ever, and ever, and ever. A million years from now I'll still be writhing in unbearable pain... with no end ever to come. :cry: That just can't be true.
Why not?
Example #2--An abused woman must remain married to her abusive husband--as long as he doesn't commit adultery. :cry:
Cite?

honestal

Why not?

Cite?
Hi ok (nice to meet you),

I'm sure you're well aware that there are many different denominations, with many different beliefs, yet all claiming their beliefs are based on the Bible. Surely they can't all be right. Which of course means someone's understanding of what the Bible teaches has to be wrong.

I don't think I can cite a specific verse to support a woman not having to stay in an abusive marriage.

Do you believe she has to stay--no matter how abusive her husband is?

Did you read the article Bible believer started out this thread with?

honestal

It really troubles me that so many Christian men insist that a woman has to stay in an abusive marriage.

And no--my son blowing farts :eek: isn't grounds for my daughter-in-law leaving.

But hitting her most certainly would be!!!

No woman has to tolerate being hit, being threatened, or being intimidated (or a number of other abusive things). :mad:

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
I don't think I can cite a specific verse to support a woman not having to stay in an abusive marriage.
I can. First Corinthians 7:15 - "But if the unbeliever departs, let him depart; a brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases."

A husband is supposed to protect his wife. If the husband is abusing her then he has already left his role as her husband. She is "not under bondage" in such a case.

Last edited:

ok doser

I can. First Corinthians 7:15 - "But if the unbeliever departs, let him depart; a brother or a sister is not under bondage in such cases."

A husband is supposed to protect his wife. If the husband is abusing her then he has already left his role as her husband. She us "not under bondage" in such a case.
I've been meaning to come back to this - I don't have very good coverage where I am right now - going between two bars on 4G and 3G (ugh).

When I discuss this I discuss it in the context of a Christian marriage - a marriage between two members of the body - a marriage made in God, a husband and wife joined into one flesh by God.

Not interested in those "marriages" of the unequally yoked.
Not interested in those "marriages" of unbelievers.

honestal

And so with the caveats that I stated in post 11,

Yes. They are one flesh in Christ.

I did.
I'm sorry ok doser, but you're VERY mixed-up if think an abusive husband and his abused wife are one flesh. :eek:

You're greatly misapplying Scripture. Example:

God said, "You are a holy people." {Deuteronomy 7:6}

When those people turned their back on God and started behaving like the ungodly nations around them, they were no longer "a holy people."

Likewise in this case. It's ludicrous to apply that Scripture--"they shall be one flesh"--to an abusive husband and his abused wife. :cry:

Last edited:

ok doser

I'm sorry ok doser, but you're VERY mixed-up if think an abusive husband and his abused wife are one flesh. :eek:
The characteristic of being joined as one flesh in God has nothing to do with abuse in a relationship regardless of who is the abuser and who is the abused. Members of the body who are joined as one flesh in God are joined in that manner till death do them part.

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
When I discuss this I discuss it in the context of a Christian marriage - a marriage between two members of the body - a marriage made in God, a husband and wife joined into one flesh by God.
So am I. When a Christian husband is abusing his Christian wife then he has already left his role as her husband. She is "not under bondage" in such a case. He has already "left" her. She is therefore free to go her own way.

Last edited:

ok doser

So am I. When a Christian husband is abusing his Christian wife then he has already left his role as her husband. She us "not under bondage" in such a case. He has already "left" her. She is therefore free to go her own way.
I understand your argument but I wonder where you draw the line, especially considering that the article linked to in the OP dealt with emotional abuse and not physical abuse.

Who is the abuser in this scenario?

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
It takes two to tango. I'm not talking about a violent criminal, you should run away from violent criminals for sure, husband or not, but other than that, and other than infidelity, it takes two to tango.