ECT Mad finds itself in the trash by applying simple logic

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Just to be fair and fully transparent, AndyC is coming from a Charismatic/Pentecostal background. Therefore, his perspective will be influenced by that "Belief system."

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
His mercy is towards those who don't deserve it, but seek it. That was the whole point of Paul's argument.
That was NOT Paul's whole point but we'll save that for later.

However, it had to be according to God's covenant.
You keep sounding like a dispensationalist! You replace the word "dispensation" with "covenant" but otherwise, you have the principle of it down pat.

I'm amazed that you are so narrow minded and dull that you cannot understand this.
Those who live in glass houses....

God could not show forgiveness if it conflicted with the demand of the law, as this would mean that he would violate his own word, and cease to be God.
God has exalted his word above his name, and so if he violated his word, his name is worthless.
Christ's death on the cross paid the debt of any God wishes to forgive. The righteous debands of the Law (a.k.a. justice) is therefore met and the Law is no longer needed and in fact was taken out of the way having been nailed to that cross.

When you read the old testament you actually see God showing compassion to people, simply because he had no covenant with them.
That is NOT the reason God show compassion to people in the Old Testament! Good greif man! Do you think God needs the Law to be righteous? Do you really think that God is subject to the Law or that His righteousness it contingent upon it? You need to think this through a little more thoroughly.

If a man sins outside the law, He's is not subject to the judgement of the law, is he?
Now THIS is what Paul's whole point is! The Law is gone; nailed to the cross and satified by the death of God the Son. It has nothing to say to those who are in Him.

Classic example of this Rahab the prostitute. She wasn't under the law, and so wasn't subject to it's condemnation. However, because she knew she was judged as a Canaanite, she helped the spies in order to save her own life. And God honored her word, which you would have to see as faith.

Obviously it wasn't the sacrificial system that removed her sin, and she was subject to the law, and so what was reason for her to have faith?
What was the basis for her to be forgiven while under a covenant where there was no forgiveness?

So far you are embarrassing yourself something rotten, and I'm only glad that so far no other madists has stooped as low as you with responses like yours.

Under the old covenant there was only the physical life that was guaranteed. The adulteress went to the grave condemned as an adulteress.
There's no time to respond to the rest in detail. I would like it if you'd answer my question though...

Do you actually believe that everyone after Moses and prior to the cross went to Hell? If not, how did they avoid it?

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Good post. I liked that you used the term: "God the Son." I always use the Title. Everybody ought to.

Now, if we could just get Andy to answer the question I asked, we could move the discussion along.
I don't understand people who act as if they are frightened by the logical implications of their own beliefs, especially when the whole discussion is supposedly about the application of simple logic, as the title of this thread clearly states. The OP presented what was supposedly the logical implication of our beliefs and we all jumped at the chance to explain what the misunderstanding was. Had the OP presented a logically sound argument that follows from our beliefs, we would have all jumped at the chance to acknowledge it and would have explained why the conclusion is nothing to be worried about or ashamed of. But, when the tables get turned around, the reaction is to run away and ignore it. I just don't get it.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
Now, if we could just get Andy to answer the question I asked, we could move the discussion along.
I don't understand people who act as if they are frightened by the logical implications of their own beliefs, especially when the whole discussion is supposedly about the application of simple logic, as the title of this thread clearly states. The OP presented what was supposedly the logical implication of our beliefs and we all jumped at the chance to explain what the misunderstanding was. Had the OP presented a logically sound argument that follows from our beliefs, we would have all jumped at the chance to acknowledge it and would have explained why the conclusion is nothing to be worried about or ashamed of. But, when the tables get turned around, the reaction is to run away and ignore it. I just don't get it.

Well said.

andyc

That was NOT Paul's whole point but we'll save that for later.

You keep sounding like a dispensationalist! You replace the word "dispensation" with "covenant" but otherwise, you have the principle of it down pat.

I understand the dispensations in the bible, but I'm not a dispensationalist in the modern sense of what it describes.

Christ's death on the cross paid the debt of any God wishes to forgive. The righteous debands of the Law (a.k.a. justice) is therefore met and the Law is no longer needed and in fact was taken out of the way having been nailed to that cross.

The forgiveness was not available until Christ came.

That is NOT the reason God show compassion to people in the Old Testament! Good greif man! Do you think God needs the Law to be righteous?

The law reveals his righteousness.

Do you really think that God is subject to the Law

Absolutely yes!
Do you really think that God could give a promise to people, and not follow through with it when the criteria was met?
Is God a God of his word or isn't he?

or that His righteousness it contingent upon it? You need to think this through a little more thoroughly.

God has exalted his word above his name. And so if he denies his own word, he denies himself.

Now THIS is what Paul's whole point is! The Law is gone; nailed to the cross and satified by the death of God the Son. It has nothing to say to those who are in Him.

OK

There's no time to respond to the rest in detail. I would like it if you'd answer my question though...

Do you actually believe that everyone after Moses and prior to the cross went to Hell? If not, how did they avoid it?

Of course not.

Those who broke a law that was punishable by death, went to the grave condemned. Similar to a person on death row is going to the grave condemned. Whether those condemned in this world will go to heaven or hell, is for God to judge.

andyc

I don't understand people who act as if they are frightened by the logical implications of their own beliefs, especially when the whole discussion is supposedly about the application of simple logic, as the title of this thread clearly states.

Why would I be frightened?

The OP presented what was supposedly the logical implication of our beliefs and we all jumped at the chance to explain what the misunderstanding was.

So far no madists has explained what the forgiveness was based on in Luke 7.
I've started to give up, but then again there is no response to this for you guys.

Had the OP presented a logically sound argument that follows from our beliefs, we would have all jumped at the chance to acknowledge it and would have explained why the conclusion is nothing to be worried about or ashamed of. But, when the tables get turned around, the reaction is to run away and ignore it. I just don't get it.

Well just answer the question and put us all out of misery.

But to whom little is forgiven, the same loves little." Then He said to her, "Your sins are forgiven." And those who sat at the table with Him began to say to themselves, "Who is this who even forgives sins?" Then He said to the woman, "Your faith has saved you. Go in peace."

What? her faith saved her? Faith in what?
What's the basis for sins to be forgiven if the sinner is under condemnation from the law, and Jesus is supposed to be a law enforcer?

Go!

andyc

So far only one madist has tried to offer some kind of answer to the fact that a woman's many sins were forgiven on a basis other than the law of Moses, which madists think she was tied to, and Jesus was supposed to be enforcing.

Lighthouse said that God could just forgive her because......... well........because he's God. Although there are consequences to sin according to the law, God just randomly negated his own word simply because he felt like it at that moment.
You see, if this becomes the view of all maddists, and there really is no other view to take unless you accept that Jesus was ministering grace, not law, well then that ends the thread. You're admitting that God is not a God of his word.
If God can just forgive a woman's many sins even if it violates his own word, then he can just forgive everyones sins for no other reason than the fact he is God and can do what he wants.