LMOHM Comes to America

lovemeorhateme

It's finally happening! After years of saying that I would come and visit the USA, this June I will be crossing the pond in a flying tin can to land in Chicago. I'll be staying with a friend there for two weeks and look forward to experiencing this great country of yours first hand.

I was just wondering if there are any places you recommend I see or things you recommend I do whilst in the US? Also, if any TOLers are interested in meeting me then please do let me know. It would be great to see some of you!

:cheers:

elohiym

Great! How mobile will you be? Are you planning to travel the country or stay close to Chicago?

lovemeorhateme

Great! How mobile will you be? Are you planning to travel the country or stay close to Chicago?

I would love to take the time to travel a bit while I'm in the US though a lot of that depends on finances. I don't drive so won't be hiring a car, hence I will be having to rely on planes to get around. I'd certainly love to experience more of the US than just one city!

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Rent a car and drive (there is no better way to see the US than on a good ole fashioned road trip).

Note which side of the road we Americans' drive on:

car-driving_2504156b.jpg

elohiym

I would love to take the time to travel a bit while I'm in the US though a lot of that depends on finances. I don't drive so won't be hiring a car, hence I will be having to rely on planes to get around. I'd certainly love to experience more of the US than just one city!

How much time do you have and what's your budget? There are so many things to do in the U.S., even in just Chicago. I'm on the west coast.

brewmama

Florida beaches (Atlantic side)

New Orleans is fun

California coastal cities are nice, although expensive

Santa Fe NM and Tucson Arizona are definitely worth seeing- VERY different than England!

Rocky Mountains (I'm near Denver if you go there), but Montana and Idaho are also nice.

South Dakota has some beautiful areas

New England can be nice, but maybe not that different than home.

Oh, and the Smoky Mountains are beautiful

lovemeorhateme

How much time do you have and what's your budget? There are so many things to do in the U.S., even in just Chicago. I'm on the west coast.

I'll be there from the 23rd June to the 8th July so I'll have two weeks. As for the budget, I'll be able to work that out properly in April. I should be able to afford a couple of cheap journeys out there.

elohiym

I will certainly give it some consideration. I'm vaguely familiar with the rules of baseball thought it's something most of us know little about in the UK. I guess it could all be part of the cultural experience?

:D

As long as you're in Chicago, you should see the Cubs. Cheap entertainment. American tradition. Get a hotdog and a beer (if you drink) ... and make sure to snap a picture of you playing Yank for us. :)

lovemeorhateme

Rent a car and drive (there is no better way to see the US than on a good ole fashioned road trip).

Note which side of the road we Americans' drive on:

car-driving_2504156b.jpg

If only I had a drivers licence. Alas, I don't drive and rely on public transport here. Thankfully the train service is fairly good here so I can commute easily. I also happen to be a big fan of trains and plan on taking a couple of train journeys whilst I'm in the US.

You drive on the wrong side, of course. When I was in Hungary a couple of weeks ago it was the first time I'd been to a country where they drive on the right. It felt really weird in the front of a taxi sitting on what would be the drivers side in the UK!

lovemeorhateme

Florida beaches (Atlantic side)

New Orleans is fun

California coastal cities are nice, although expensive

Santa Fe NM and Tucson Arizona are definitely worth seeing- VERY different than England!

Rocky Mountains (I'm near Denver if you go there), but Montana and Idaho are also nice.

South Dakota has some beautiful areas

New England can be nice, but maybe not that different than home.

Oh, and the Smoky Mountains are beautiful

Thanks for the recommendations. I'll look some of these places up and consider visiting one or two if I am able to.

lovemeorhateme

As long as you're in Chicago, you should see the Cubs. Cheap entertainment. American tradition. Get a hotdog and a beer (if you drink) ... and make sure to snap a picture of you playing Yank for us. :)

I may just have to do that. I'm happy to go for some American traditions, and a hot dog and a beer sounds good to me! I already planned on trying out some American beer while I'm out there. I'll have my camera at the ready. :)

elohiym

I'll be there from the 23rd June to the 8th July so I'll have two weeks.

The Cubs will be playing the Reds on the 4th, 5th and 6th of July. If you go on the fourth of July it will probably be even more entertaining: that's U.S. Independence Day.

As for the budget, I'll be able to work that out properly in April. I should be able to afford a couple of cheap journeys out there.

Let us know the states you plan to visit as you decide. You may end up meeting some of us. :)

elohiym

I may just have to do that. I'm happy to go for some American traditions, and a hot dog and a beer sounds good to me! I already planned on trying out some American beer while I'm out there. I'll have my camera at the ready. :)

Looking forward to seeing some pics.

When I was in England, I tried bangers and mash. :)

And the beer overseas seemed better to me, especially the Swiss and German brews. :idunno:

elohiym

Good American beers for you to try while you're here.... :think:

Fat Tire is pretty good. Maybe others will make recommendations.

brewmama

If you're looking for beer, be sure and make it a microbrewery- we have tons of them, and they are the best!