lighthouse's SPOTD 4-9-05

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lovejoy

Your liver will love you. Did you know that you can get varicose veins in your esophagus from alcoholic liver damage?!

Lovejoy

Not until I just made it up!

No, it is a real condition. It royally stinks, though. It is kind of fatal without some pretty funky therapy.

Lovejoy

Outside of alcohol toxicity (which is the most obvious), you get peptic ulcer disease, heart disease, and several cancers. You have to differentiate between the results of a single overdose versus chronic abuse, though. Your liver is usually the first victim, and that can lead to complete (polysystem) failure. I would have to say the most common is heart disease, with gastritis, pancreatitis, and esaphogeal cancers in there somewhere. Sepsis usually comes with perforation of the alimentary canal (which can happen with gastritis) or with hematological or liver problems connected with the alcohol. Frankly, the most common problems with alcohol are social and psychological.

Ninjashadow

The one that I was trying to think of (the name just came to me) was psorosis (did I spell that right?) Where does that fall?

Lovejoy

Hmm, I assume you are talking about cirrhosis, which is liver disease. That is the worst problem that is directly connected with alcoholism, and is actually the one that causes the esophageal varisces (since it causes massive hypertension, blows blood vessels everywhere).

Lovejoy

lighthouse said:
"p-s-o-r-i-a-s-i-s"
Yeah, but that is a skin condition. I am not sure how that would be involved with alcoholism, although you do get a little yellow with cirrhosis.

Ninjashadow

Lovejoy said:
Hmm, I assume you are talking about cirrhosis, which is liver disease. That is the worst problem that is directly connected with alcoholism, and is actually the one that causes the esophageal varisces (since it causes massive hypertension, blows blood vessels everywhere).

This is the one that I was talking about, LJ. Thanks! :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.