Lifting thread

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ
Do you have a link?
There's tons of content. Search arm wrestling, devon larratt, that'll bring up some of his past matches to get an idea of the heavy weight class of the sport.

His last big match was kind of anticlimactic. (Skip ahead to about 10:00 for the first action.)

We're thinking Levan will be a way bigger challenge, and Mr. Larratt might even be the underdog. Should be interesting regardless.

Idolater

... Unlike the WWF or WWE which is toned down for family friendly consumption, elite arm wrestling is extremely vulgar and not suitable for family friendly entertainment, although I haven't seen any promotion or approval of Pride agenda in arm wrestling, so compare that with Disney.
I just want to make clear, that any arm wrestling link that I post, this is your warning. I will not ever guarantee any arm wrestling content is family friendly, absolutely no way.

If I ever do certify such, it will be because I have carefully inspected it from start to finish myself, so that I can verify as an eye witness.

Now ... lifting, and diet.

LIFTING & DIET
@Jefferson @ffreeloader et al., tomorrow is a big day, and tonight is a big night. Tomorrow I'm going to attempt to lift 260 LBS five times. Tonight, the plan is that I am going to eat two big starchy suppers before I retire for the night, to get a good night's sleep. My performance tomorrow will be a test of the muscles' ability overnight to store fuel in the form of glycogen, after eating a lot of starch for supper.

My diet this week Jefferson was fasts from waking to sleeping on Monday, Tuesday, and Thursday (yesterday), and fasting today (Friday) up until a little while from now when I'll begin eating my first big starchy supper, which is ready to go, just cooling at the moment.

On Wednesday, when I did eat, I ate at least and about two LBS of beef, a 50-50 mix of 93% and 85% supermarket ground (minced). And nothing else besides non-caloric seasonings. I ate zero calories the other days.

So I'm going to see tomorrow if all goes according to plan, whether I'm stronger, weaker, or about the same.

And then we'll go from there.

Idolater

I anticipate something like two or three reps, the way I feel now, in the first set. Meaning I don't feel strong. If that happens, knowing that it's caused by my diet this week, I'm not sure what my next move is, for today. I'm almost ready to start, will update as information becomes available.

Canonical deadlift
260 LBS
1. 5 +1*, **
2. 4 +1

Whew. It took discipline to stop at four, because I really wanted to do a fifth rep, and I could have done the fifth rep, and earned the right to try another set of 260 LBS today, but I honestly felt like, I'm pretty sure I couldn't then do another rep, which means that the fourth rep was truly just a "+1", and my rule for now is that 0rnr is only for the first set, not the second or any other.

So, I am stronger than I thought I was going to be, based on how I felt beforehand. But obviously the general trend with my strength is down. I still earned the right to work with 270 LBS next week, and here's my performance the last time I worked with that weight:
270 LBS
1. [5 +2+ (two or maybe more; at least two more)]
2. [4 +1-2]

Is there anything I can do between now and next week, to get better performance than this? I'm thinking if I really do this week, start eating starch-heavy suppers on Wednesday and on Thursday, rather than just on Friday like this past week.

* New nomenclature; the number after the rep count will be preceded by a "+" and this will mean "number of (estimated) reps in reserve (rir /rnr)". So basically "+1" means I think I could do just only one more rep.

** Note on first set; felt a lot of tension in my lower back (erectors), and in my lats (upper back, especially the sides), like I was doing a "1RM" ("one-rep-max" or the most weight you can do for only one rep) but I was able to keep doing the reps, it just kept feeling like I was doing my max weight.

Last edited:

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
I anticipate something like two or three reps, the way I feel now, in the first set. Meaning I don't feel strong.
Have you ever felt physically off, even weak, but still set a new personal record?

I did that several times when I used to sprint hills. I later found out that I was sapping my adrenal glands and was "over-training."

But I still don't understand how I was able to set new personal bests several times while feeling weak. Weird.

Idolater

Have you ever felt physically off, even weak, but still set a new personal record?

I did that several times when I used to sprint hills. I later found out that I was sapping my adrenal glands and was "over-training."

But I still don't understand how I was able to set new personal bests several times while feeling weak. Weird.
I just think that how you feel is on one side, and what you can do is on the other, and sometimes they coincide, and sometimes they don't, and there's never any reason to expect any rhyme or reason for it. They're just two separate things.

The lesson I take from this, is that it's OK to recognize how you feel, but don't hang too much on it. When I was pulling 260 LBS yesterday, I was just focused on my form, something I know how to do, right in the moment. How I felt before starting the lift became irrelevant, compared to how I felt actually doing the lift, and I'm guessing that was similar to your experience when you were sprinting hills.

idk. :)

Idolater

Caffeine is a PED (performance enhancing drug). I know this because I'm on forums with people who don't think PEDs are inherently immoral or unethical or anything; just dangerous, like guns, and fast cars, and certain breeds of dog; analogically.

They don't necessarily think cocaine or liquor or anabolic (muscle building) steroids are automatically wrong and should all be always avoided. They instead try to balance using PEDs with their other life goals. They try to fit it into their life. They want to make their life work, while they're able to take PEDs.

Many of them are patently gigantic with gigantic arms and muscles.

So I, just to come clean, if I haven't been open enough about this prior; I am on caffeine. I haven't been trying to hide it, but I wanted you to know, that caffeine is considered, by many people who use PEDs, to be a PED (caffeine, the chemical molecular substance, is a PED*) itself.

Caffeine is naturally found in both coffee and chocolate. If you ingest either coffee or chocolate, you use PEDs.

==
Plan today
Canonical deadlift
270 LBS
1.** 5 +1
2. 5 +0***

==
Notes
* In professional competitions HGH (human growth hormone) is considered a PED, along with taking testosterone. Which is confusing, since both are naturally found in the body, so they're really not "drugs" which is literally what PEDs are. But they're basically considered PEDs.

( Which is contrasted with creatine, and even with food; which are both performance enhancing (the PE part of PED), but creatine and food are not considered PEDs. )

** It's always encouraging when I'm doing a weight where I'm not sure, based on history, whether I'll be able to complete one five-rep set. When I do, I've earned the right to bump up next week's weight by another 10 LBS. Banana.

*** Definitely stronger than last week,**** banana. What happened here was that when pulling the 5th rep, I thought I'd be able to do one more after that, but once I started to pull it, I realized that I could not pull another one with good form, so it changed during the 5th rep to a "+0" instead of a "+1".

**** With 10 LBS less on the bar, I pulled the same rep and set pattern as this week, ergo, I'm stronger this week.*****

***** I fasted this week one meal each day until Friday. On Friday I ate all three meals. And now I'm stronger than last week, when I fasted for three whole days, and I fasted from carbs for five straight days (Sunday evening to Friday evening). Eating food makes you stronger (i.e. it enhances your performance).

Last edited:

Jefferson

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Caffeine is a PED (performance enhancing drug). I know this because I'm on forums with people who don't think PEDs are inherently immoral or unethical or anything; just dangerous, like guns, and fast cars, and certain breeds of dog; analogically.
Came across a study a couple of months ago that showed coffee loses its effects after drinking it for 7 straight days, then regains its effects after abstaining for 7 days. Lost that link. Should have saved it.

Idolater

Came across a study a couple of months ago that showed coffee loses its effects after drinking it for 7 straight days, then regains its effects after abstaining for 7 days. Lost that link. Should have saved it.
Interesting. So like you build up a tolerance to it, but withdrawal is pretty quick.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Came across some weight training guru who teaches lifting heavy weights, like you mentioned, but only 1 day per week. He has studies that show how micro-tears in muscles from lifting, need rest more than anything else for recuperation and strength building.
:unsure: *Meh* He's right but taking it kind of weird...You can take a day or two off a week, that's just good policy.

Workout days though, you hit different muscle groups on different days. The effect is the same....A week between heavy sessions on each muscle group but you work out all week. ;)

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I threw away my weights and now only do body weight exercises like military burpees, planking, push-ups, bear crawls and crab walks.

I haven't had a single injury since I made the switch.

;) That's where I'm at now....I spent my time power lifting with a 405# bench press and 515# squat back when I was in my 40's...I decided the injuries weren't worth the pump.

Idolater

Last three times at 290 LBS (most recent first):

290 LBS canonical deadlift
1. 4 +0 (AMRAP)

1. 5
2. 4 +1

1. 5
2. 5
3. 4 +1-2

I have been getting progressively weaker as I've been trimming inches off my waist, and my performance at 290 LBS has been the most clear indicator of that.

In preparation to lift this week, I began eating Thursday morning and continued eating through tonight and I'm probably going to eat breakfast tomorrow before lifting too. This is the earliest in the week I've begun to eat in preparation to lift on Saturdays.

What I mean by "begin" eating is that I fasted three whole days this week, including all day Tuesday and Wednesday (60-hour fast). With breakfast on Thursday I began to eat in preparation to lift tomorrow.

I expect, based on previous weeks, that I'm going to get my five reps in the first set. I don't hope, I don't wish; I expect it to happen. I only wonder if I'll get another five in the second set or not.

Could be wrong. We'll see. I just have a feeling this week ...

Idolater

First things first.

290 LBS Canonical deadlift
1. 5 +0 (aka & iow AMRAP; as many reps as possible)
2. 3 +1

So: stronger than last time with 290 LBS. Banana. But stronger than last week? Inconclusive. Possibly. But I'm confident in saying I'm not weaker than last week. And that is the most important goal of mine, is to at least preserve strength while I simultaneously reduce my waist size.

Was day 2 the hardest again?
The more I do it, the more I'm going to just say the second day is different. It's not harder, not easier, just different. Different feeling. I'm reading that I need to be careful with electrolytes getting beyond like two days straight, so I'm trying to figure out that one.

And, here's a current video of Mr. Devon Larratt updating us on his physical condition and plans for his future, after getting stomped by Mr. Levan Saginashvili. Interesting that he aims to arm wrestle for the rest of his life. He's just planning on competing at a lighter weight, so it sounds like he's retiring from peak competition (like super heavy weight).

Who can beat Levan? Idunno.

Idolater

It's been like two months since I did 300 LBS on the bar, and here's what that looked like:
300 LBS
1. 5, 0 rnr
2. 2, 1 rnr (I'm pretty sure I could not have done a 4th rep without form failure)
Looking forward to tomorrow.

[Edit.
Reason for posting this is to show that the last time I did 300 LBS I advanced to 310 LBS the following week (did five reps in the first set). Compared to the last time (before last week) I did 290 LBS, when I couldn't even do five reps of that, and had to de-load the following week instead of advance to 300 LBS, like I was able to do last week.

So it looks like I'm recovering strength that I lost when I first started experimenting with fasting. I was fasting at the wrong time of week before. I should have been fasting after lifting, not before lifting.]

Last edited:

Idolater

Canonical deadlift
300 LBS
1. 1 +0 (AMRAP)

Whoops. Well, I stumbled upon my one-rep-max 1RM today.

It's nice to get this opportunity occasionally, it's never the direct plan for me to test my 1RM. A 1RM is just such a borderline dangerous exercise. Your blood pressure spikes a lot.

==
The last time I attempted 300 LBS as I showed in the previous post, I did five reps. Now today I did only one. So I'm definitely still weaker today than I was like two months ago.

==
This week, I fasted once for 84 straight hours, and then another fast for 36 hours. Since last week I was able to do five reps of 290 LBS, it's difficult to say how I compare to last week in terms of strength, but I think this is weaker than last week. I think that's a conservative estimation, not a wild guess.

So, I think therefore that doing an 84 hour fast, and a separate 36 hour fast, is not good for my strength. I couldn't make up for these fasts even to just maintain my strength, let alone grow it, week-over-week.

I'll drop /de-load the weight now down to 240 LBS and do some lighter weight, more volume, and focus on form more, rather than on, by contrast, over-exerting a 1RM.

Canonical deadlift
240 LBS
1. 5 +0 (AMRAP)

All right I'm done. I really borderline overloaded my lower back on that 300 LB 1RM, and while it didn't hurt doing 240 LBS, it felt way less precise and I misjudged how many more reps I was going to be able to do. iow I should have stopped at four reps, since AMRAP protocol in this program only applies to the first set of the workout. I just didn't recognize clearly that I was doing an AMRAP set there, until it was already too late.

==
What did I learn? In order to do an 84 hour fast, plus a separate 36 hour fast during a week, I have to sacrifice some strength. So I've gone too far. Doing a 60 hour fast, plus a separate 36 hour fast, during one week still enables me to at least, preserve my strength, and I still haven't ruled out that I can get stronger with a 60 hour plus a 36 hour fast.

The above applies when I break the fast no later than the morning before the day of lifting. (I've already shown that if I break the fast the day of lifting, that I definitely lose strength.)

Last edited:

Idolater

My biggest enemy was my ego telling me to keep going when I should have stopped.
There's never any shame in stopping. As we've agreed to before, even if we just skip, and do no sets and lift no weights that day, we're still only just a week behind. Injury, leads to months of lost progress. It's always a smart bet to stop rather than continue if it means risking injury.

But I hear you, about that competitive spirit, always wanting to push limits. I feel that. That's part of why my program is what it is, because I am coming from a program where I featured AMRAP sets exclusively. Every workout consisted only of AMRAP sets (all sets to failure). As I've related that program led me to one injury and a few different times where I overloaded my back so much that I was crippled for some part of a week.

I haven't been inconvenienced like that with this new program once. I've designed in safety better, it's just systematically more difficult to injure myself in this program.

Today I was really surprised to be so weak. Reminds me of when we were talking about whether how we feel before a workout corresponds with how we wind up performing that workout. I said that it doesn't seem to correlate much at all.

Today, and even last night, I was feeling strong, I was really looking forward to the workout. I was hoping I could do the five reps in that first set (300 LBS). But when it came time to perform, I was way off. Further confirmation that there's no way to tell ahead of time how I'm going to perform, based on how I feel. I just have to lift and see.