Libertarianism and property rights

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
In general, no you can not.
Pretty much you can. Whether or not that contract is legally binding and enforceable is a separate matter. There are contracts that cannot be legally entered such as a minor signing for a loan.

And abortion and slavery. What else do you have? An appeal to authority is not going ton convince me that liberty should be taken away without people being harmed.
None the less, courts traditionally support HOA's. You can protest it all you want, you can rant on social media all you want but if you don't honor the terms of the HOA contract that you signed, you can lose your house. ANd/or rack up an impressive amount of legal fees.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
There is no point. My neighbor is not a building inspector.
I never said anything about your neighbor being a building inspector. Here, read it again:

Originally Posted by shagster01
It is not the job of anyone to protect me from myself.

Sure it is. If you work on a job site and your ladder is improperly secured it is my job to stop the work until your ladder is properly secured. Even if you are at home, making sure your ladder is properly secured is my job as a good neighbor. Would you rather not have anybody protect you from yourself and end up in the hospital for six months and spend the rest of your life permanently disabled or have somebody watch your back? Does your family have any say in you being safe?

Where did I say anything about your neighbor being a building inspector. I was correcting your erroneous statement that it is not anybodies job to protect you from yourself.

shagster01

I never said anything about your neighbor being a building inspector. Here, read it again:

Originally Posted by shagster01
It is not the job of anyone to protect me from myself.

Sure it is. If you work on a job site and your ladder is improperly secured it is my job to stop the work until your ladder is properly secured. Even if you are at home, making sure your ladder is properly secured is my job as a good neighbor. Would you rather not have anybody protect you from yourself and end up in the hospital for six months and spend the rest of your life permanently disabled or have somebody watch your back? Does your family have any say in you being safe?

Where did I say anything about your neighbor being a building inspector. I was correcting your erroneous statement that it is not anybodies job to protect you from yourself.

I suppose it's your job to go around knocking cigarettes and big macs out of peoples hands too. Those kill more people than faulty ladders.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
I suppose it's your job to go around knocking cigarettes and big macs out of peoples hands too. Those kill more people than faulty ladders.
And you still miss the point. There are people whose job it is to protect you from yourself. They are frequently called Safety Nazis but their job is to force you to work in a safe manor so you don't get hurt.

I have knocked cigarets out of friends hands. What can I say, they are a friend and I care about them.

shagster01

And you still miss the point. There are people whose job it is to protect you from yourself. They are frequently called Safety Nazis but their job is to force you to work in a safe manor so you don't get hurt.

No. Their job is to make sure the company doesn't get hurt.

I have knocked cigarets out of friends hands. What can I say, they are a friend and I care about them.

I bet you're really fun to hang out with.

Nimrod

ACW needs to do the work. He needs to tell us why Murray Rothbard is wrong, and then maybe we can talk.

shagster01

And how do they do that? By making you work safely, by protecting you from yourself.

Do you understand the difference between your own private property and a work site? Private time and on the job?

It is nobody's job to protect me from myself at my house on my own time.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Do you understand the difference between your own private property and a work site? Private time and on the job?

It is nobody's job to protect me from myself at my house on my own time.
If your ladder slips and you fall, are your legs more broken if it happens on a job site or at home? It may be your families job to protect you at home for no other reason than that they love you and need you to be healthy.

shagster01

If your ladder slips and you fall, are your legs more broken if it happens on a job site or at home? It may be your families job to protect you at home for no other reason than that they love you and need you to be healthy.

I have no problems with my family looking out for me. It is their property too and my wife and I have entered into a partnership in life to help and support each other. But that is a free choice I have made with her. It is how we have decided to live.

But it is not my neighbor's nor the governments job.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
I have no problems with my family looking out for me. It is their property too and my wife and I have entered into a partnership in life to help and support each other. But that is a free choice I have made with her. It is how we have decided to live.

But it is not my neighbor's nor the governments job.

Then you'd be ok if after your neighbor saw you fall off a ladder that you hadn't securely positioned he didn't call for medical assistance? (After all, it's not your neighbor's responsibility to look out for you).

shagster01

Then you'd be ok if after your neighbor saw you fall off a ladder that you hadn't securely positioned he didn't call for medical assistance? (After all, it's not your neighbor's responsibility to look out for you).

Yes. He'd be a jerk for that, but he has a right to be. I don't believe in legislating good will. You either have it or you don't. But what does this have to do with building inspection?

Preferably I'd have no neighbor to begin with. I'm in the beginning stages of buying farmland surrounded by about 800 acres of corn and hay grass fields, so he probably won't see me anyway.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior

Yes. He'd be a jerk for that,

Why? Your well being isn't his responsibility. How dare you call someone who was minding his own business a jerk.

...but he has a right to be. I don't believe in legislating good will.

Obviously you're not familiar with Good Samaritan laws:

A person is not obligated by law to do first aid in most states, not unless it's part of a job description. However, some states will consider it an act of negligence though, if a person doesn't at least call for help.
http://definitions.uslegal.com/g/good-samaritans/

You either have it or you don't. But what does this have to do with building inspection?

It goes with your "Leave me alone, mind your own business, I can do anything with my property that I want" attitude of yours.

Preferably I'd have no neighbor to begin with. I'm in the beginning stages of buying farmland surrounded by about 800 acres of corn and hay grass pot fields, so he probably won't see me anyway.

Fixed that for ya.

Nimrod

Well, first of all, starving to death a deformed baby is murder.
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3942920&postcount=460

That's the basis for that barbarian's view of "property rights", need I say more?

It also said "whether or not a parent has a moral rather than a legally enforceable obligation to keep his child alive is a completely separate question"

The question is property rights. Not moral obligations. Can you see a difference? (Probably not)

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
ACW needs to do the work. He needs to tell us why Murray Rothbard is wrong, and then maybe we can talk.

Well, first of all, starving to death a deformed baby is murder.
http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=3942920&postcount=460

That's the basis for that barbarian's view of "property rights", need I say more?

It also said "whether or not a parent has a moral rather than a legally enforceable obligation to keep his child alive is a completely separate question"

The question is property rights. Not moral obligations. Can you see a difference? (Probably not)

The infamous Libertarian disclaimer: "Even though I don't want a law prohibiting it, I'm personally against it."

Every law is based on someone's morals.

Now that we discussed that sick degenerate's views on starving deformed babies to death, let's talk about other types of property rights that you Libertarians believe in.

Nimrod

The infamous Libertarian disclaimer: "Even though I don't want a law prohibiting it, I'm personally against it."

Every law is based on someone's morals.

Now that we discussed that sick degenerate's views on starving deformed babies to death, let's talk about other types of property rights that you Libertarians believe in.

We libertarians do not want government as a forced religion on the people.

I like what Murray said afterwords. "in a libertarian society the existence of a free baby market will bring such "neglect" down to a minimum."

There will never be a time, this side of heaven, where abortion will stop. Once you make it illegal, the people will go to the black market.

The Libertarian government will reduce it to a minimum because of the free market it provides.

I claim, it is impossible to stop abortions from happening. Best to reduce it to the minimum.