Libertarianism and property rights

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Minarchism (also known as minimal statism) is a political philosophy and a form of libertarianism. It is variously defined by sources. In the strictest sense, it holds that states ought to exist (as opposed to anarchy), that their only legitimate function is the protection of individuals from aggression, theft, breach of contract, and fraud, and that the only legitimate governmental institutions are the military, police, and courts. In the broadest sense, it also includes fire departments, prisons, the executive, and legislatures as legitimate government functions.[1][2][3] Such states are generally called night-watchman states.

Minarchists argue that the state has no authority to use its monopoly of force to interfere with free transactions between people, and see the state's sole responsibility as ensuring that contracts between private individuals and property are protected, through a system of law courts and enforcement. Minarchists generally believe a laissez-faire approach to the economy will most likely lead to economic prosperity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minarchism

Same ole stench as Libertarianism, just a minor change in details (i.e. you don't want to privatize police and fire depts., but you're both against "aggression" being used against anything that consenting parties engage in. (drugs, deviant sex, etc.).

That's ACW....Our resident Wikipedia Scholar....Shallow research for a shallow individual. :juggle:

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
That's ACW....Our resident Wikipedia Scholar....Shallow research for a shallow individual. :juggle:

I always encourage those who differ with the information written in my posts to refute it.

Tell us about minarchism Tom. I wouldn't want anyone to get the false impression that you're anyway tied in with the nutcase Libertarian movement.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
I always encourage those who differ with the information written in my posts to refute it.

Tell us about minarchism Tom. I wouldn't want anyone to get the false impression that you're anyway tied in with the nutcase Libertarian movement.

You're the only nutcase here.

....And being as how I am indeed for less/smaller government I don't suppose I can escape from being tied to the party itself. It's really not that big a deal to me I just don't like it being assumed that I am an Anarchist.

shagster01

(The things I learn on TOL. I always thought that shag, like most dopers do, still lives in his mother's basement).

You think most of the 100,000,000 Americans that have enjoyed the refer live in their parents basement?

You're catching on shag, the thread is about private property. Now if you would like to share what you think you should be able to do with or on your own property that is currently illegal, please do.

You should be able to do anything that does not directly harm others.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Nah...Just not to you.

While you're here Tom:

"....tell us what you can and can't do with your property (i.e. land and dwellings on it).

Let's talk about things like building and fire codes and eminent domain as well."

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote: Originally posted by aCultureWarrior
You're catching on shag, the thread is about private property. Now if you would like to share what you think you should be able to do with or on your own property that is currently illegal, please do.

You should be able to do anything that does not directly harm others.

Hence the reason behind building and health codes. Now if you want to harm yourself, it doesn't take a faulty building to do that (as we've seen with the lifestyle that you currently live).

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
While you're here Tom:

"....tell us what you can and can't do with your property (i.e. land and dwellings on it).

Let's talk about things like building and fire codes and eminent domain as well."

Are you going to be pretending to be a Building Inspector for this thread?....Just wondering. :plain:

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Are you going to be pretending to be a Building Inspector for this thread?....Just wondering. :plain:

Why yes I am Tom. This building is currently infested with the notorious "Libertarian cockroach" and I'm trying to exterminate them.

roach_be_gone_flash_page_by_ravensdreams-d3ard5j.jpg

Not that this latest exchange hasn't been fun Tom...

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
No. It's minority report policing. Let's bust the guy before anyone was hurt on the assumption they theoretically could be.

No assumptions or theories here shag, your godless doctrine has proven to be harmful to individuals, families, and entire communities and nations.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Why yes I am Tom. This building is currently infested with the notorious "Libertarian cockroach" and I'm trying to exterminate them.

roach_be_gone_flash_page_by_ravensdreams-d3ard5j.jpg

Not that this latest exchange hasn't been fun Tom...

Give up...They are smarter than you. :listen:

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
It is not the job of anyone to protect me from myself.
Sure it is. If you work on a job site and your ladder is improperly secured it is my job to stop the work until your ladder is properly secured. Even if you are at home, making sure your ladder is properly secured is my job as a good neighbor. Would you rather not have anybody protect you from yourself and end up in the hospital for six months and spend the rest of your life permanently disabled or have somebody watch your back? Does your family have any say in you being safe?

shagster01

Sure it is. If you work on a job site and your ladder is improperly secured it is my job to stop the work until your ladder is properly secured. Even if you are at home, making sure your ladder is properly secured is my job as a good neighbor. Would you rather not have anybody protect you from yourself and end up in the hospital for six months and spend the rest of your life permanently disabled or have somebody watch your back? Does your family have any say in you being safe?

I might ask for my neighbors help. He better not just be hanging around inspecting my work though.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I would disagree. People can enter into any contract they wish.

In general, no you can not.

Courts have repeatedly ruled in favor of HOA's
And abortion and slavery. What else do you have? An appeal to authority is not going ton convince me that liberty should be taken away without people being harmed.