Knight - Theology Online and Internet Ads, Ads, and Illegal Activity

daqq

Shalom.

Why would I not say anything when you say I am not a Member? I have been a Member since I was a child. This is not justifying oneself. I can see who the Members are. Do you know if you can see yourself in the list of Members? If you can then you are a Member. Have I ever paid? Yes. That is not what made me a Member.

Shalom.

Jacob

Yes, I should have said "subscriber", and therefore you are right and I am wrong.
Poor ignorant me. :chuckle:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Shalom.

Today is Rishon, 12-3.

It is my computer. No one else is using my computer.

I was also shown a Planned Parenthood Ad and an ad to find out who the next President is going to be. Plus one about using my email and another about removing ads.

Shalom.

Jacob
Welcome to the world of advertisements. They've been around a long time and they aren't going to go away.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
Who instructed you? Do an internet search for "how to block ads" and see what you yourself can do about it. You could ask for help from someone too.

It is the responsibility of the website. My understanding is that there is law about this. But that would include the presumption that there can be ads on websites, which contradicts what I was instructed and indicates a difficulty in understanding and / or practice. It was on the computer, and the internet is to be used for fighting crime, not selling or advertising things. Ads are not allowed.

Shalom.

Jacob

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
No owner of any discussion site has to provide you or anyone else with an ad blocker.
And when you signed up to be a member of TOL you agreed to the conditions of abiding by whatever rules and conditions of the owner's specifications.

That should not stand in the way of due process.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That should not stand in the way of due process.
No one is forced to remain at TOL.
It's was your choice to join with the agreement stated, and you did.
YOU can remedy your displeasure of TOL yourself, right here and now.
If being a member on a site that has random ads upsets you, then you have the choice to no longer participate here.
The choice is yours, it's waiting for you to decide.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
No one is forced to remain at TOL.
It's was your choice to join with the agreement stated, and you did.
YOU can remedy your displeasure of TOL yourself, right here and now.
If being a member on a site that has random ads upsets you, then you have the choice to no longer participate here.
The choice is yours, it's waiting for you to decide.

I do not know what you are talking about.

I am not displeased with Theology Online. I do not know why anyone would think that I am. The laws about the use of ads on the internet in the United States of America may or may not have changed, I do not know. But responsibility for a website cannot be attributed to more than a website owner except as governed by law which would not allow for selling women even by the use of ads. Also, I am a citizen of the United States of America and I believe that ads picturing women should not be used to spy on people in our land who are not citizens of the United States of America. If you understand what I mean then you know more than I do.

Shalom.

Jacob

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I do not know what you are talking about.
I'll try to make it even clearer to you.

TOL has random ads.
Has for years.
If you do not like the random ads .......... don't use TOL that YOU ALREADY KNOW uses random ads.

YOU, Jacob, can make your decision right here and now.
Use TOL with random ads, or don't use TOL with random ads.
Easy peasy.
What's your hold up?

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
I'll try to make it even clearer to you.

TOL has random ads.
Has for years.
If you do not like the random ads .......... don't use TOL that YOU ALREADY KNOW uses random ads.

YOU, Jacob, can make your decision right here and now.
Use TOL with random ads, or don't use TOL with random ads.
Easy peasy.
What's your hold up?

that the ads are or are not random ads; what is the technicality of saying that they are random ads? when I called the people who were proving the ads (not targeted, personalized) they did not know what to do or what I was talking about. They do not take responsibility, and the options for ads do not allow a person to choose which is also different from no ads on the internet or advertizing based on internet usage (cookies or not, even that cookies are not for this). Deciding to not allow a company to provide you with ads is not always something you can do as a user. To choose no ads when ads aren't allowed does what exactly?

Were you saying that the .com is one kind of website or internet address for websites that are discussion sites? As opposed to Theology Online being a business and / or engaged in commerce?

Some ads I have been asked to provide feedback on, specifically to select why I do not want to see the ad. Other ads do not allow a person to choose that they do not want to see it. I do not have sound on my computer. It used to be that videos or audio would play, sometimes without the user (myself) having any control over it even after it turns (turned) on. Inappropriate! Inappropriate ads if video and / or audio can be considered ads?!

Theology Online does not tell people better websites to go to. I do not see myself parting with Theology Online, especially over a matter of United States Law. I do not abandon lifelong ministry, specifically on this website, on account of someone saying I should run from a website because of the ads (on it, associated with it). Instead of leaving, make it better! If there is a problem, tell us what it is! Freedom of speech does not permit selling women or injuring men's minds, bodies, brains, or eyes, through the use of suggestive and illicit material. If Theology Online is not responsible for www.theologyonline.com, then someone else is.

Why would I be making a decision right here and now at your suggestion? What decision? Why are you asking me to make a decision or telling me that I can? I do not even know what decision you are telling me to make, wanting me to make, or asking me if I would make. If there are random ads, how do you turn them off? What do you mean, uses random ads? When it was something desired maybe to pay for operating, function, or other costs?

If you know that something is wrong or bad you should either say something about it, do something about it, or do nothing about it (ignore the problem).

Shalom.

Jacob

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Shalom.

Today is Rishon, 12-3.

It is my computer. No one else is using my computer.

I was also shown a Planned Parenthood Ad and an ad to find out who the next President is going to be. Plus one about using my email and another about removing ads.

Shalom.

Jacob
Problem solved:

http://theologyonline.com/showthread.php?p=5194711#post5194711

If you will not install an ad blocker, then you will have to deal with the ads that appear on the site. If you see truly offensive ads, send PM to Knight with a screenshot of the ad and he can deal with the situation. Don't click the ad as it will only inform the ad provider of your, er, "interest" and you will just see more. You can also let Google know what topics are of interest and not of interest and the ads you see will be more relevant:

https://adssettings.google.com/authenticated
http://optout.aboutads.info/#!/

Google's AdWords and AdSense features provides a means for site admins to block ads from ad services that are putting up offensive ads.

Also, since you are not a paying subscriber (See the Why? link in my sig below), these ads are a means of some small revenue for the site's owner to use for keeping things running smoothly. Try not to deny the laborer his means of living for your benefit.

AMR

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Enter:

http://theologyonline.com

Then, try:

https://theologyonline.com

The difference is that the Chatbox plugin is not secure and thus anyone using the first link above will see a "Not Secure" indicator in their web browser's URL bar.

The second url is secure, but you will not be able to see the Chatbox content...at least when using Chrome. That said, viewing the Chatbox Archive is possible when using the secure https:// prefixed link above.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
I always thought that ads were based on your browsing history and are not necessarily ads intentionally accepted by Knight. In other words, check your browsing history when you start to see questionable ads.