Jesus is God

Jesus is God

• Total voters

Right Divider

Body part
Jesus is the Christ (Messiah), which means anointed one.
Who is the God, thy God who anointed Jesus and who are all of the fellows of Jesus that Jesus is above?

Psalm 45:6-7
6 Thy throne, O God, is for ever and ever: the sceptre of thy kingdom is a right sceptre.
7 Thou lovest righteousness, and hatest wickedness: therefore God, thy God, hath anointed thee with the oil of gladness above thy fellows.

If Jesus is God, why would it matter to God whether Jesus loves righteousness and hates wickedness?
Because Jesus is fully God and fully man.

Right Divider

Body part
I am still waiting for someone, anyone, to provide scripture that says that God came as a man, instead of merely repeating the extra-Biblical doctrines that the church teaches.
1Ti 3:16 KJV And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
@NWL are you or are you not a Jehovah's Witness?

ANYTHING apart from a straight unambiguous denial will be assumed to be an answer in the affirmative and will end any involvment I have with you. I do not debate theology with cultists.

God's Truth

Jesus said both Jesus and the Father would make their abode with man, but never tells how they would do it.

John 14:23
23 Jesus answered and said unto him, If a man love me, he will keep my words: and my Father will love him, and we will come unto him, and make our abode with him.[/JESUS]

You seem quite sure of that, do you have any verses to back that statement up?

We are only given one Spirit when we are baptized.

We are baptized with the Holy Spirit, we are not baptized with Spirits.

Matthew 3:11 "I baptize you with water for repentance. But after me comes one who is more powerful than I, whose sandals I am not worthy to carry. He will baptize you with the Holy Spirit and fire.

Ephesians 4:4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called;

Ephesians 2:18 For through Him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit.

Jesus says he himself will live in the saved.

2 Corinthians 13:5 Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you--unless, of course, you fail the test?

Romans 8:9 You, however, are not in the realm of the flesh but are in the realm of the Spirit, if indeed the Spirit of God lives in you. And if anyone does not have the Spirit of Christ, they do not belong to Christ.

Galatians 4:6
And because you are sons, God sent the Spirit of His Son into our hearts, crying out, “Abba, Father!”

Ephesians 3:17
so that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and grounded in love,

John 17:23 I in themand you in me—

John 17:26I have made you known to them, and will continue to make you known in order that the love you have for me may be in them and that I myself may be in them.”

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
@NWL are you or are you not a Jehovah's Witness?

ANYTHING apart from a straight unambiguous denial will be assumed to be an answer in the affirmative and will end any involvment I have with you. I do not debate theology with cultists.

Yes he is.

God's Truth

genuineoriginal

God is Spirit.

John 4:24 For God is Spirit,

The Holy Spirit is the Spirit of God.

Romans 8:14 For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God.

1 Corinthians 3:16 Don't you know that you yourselves are God's temple and that God's Spirit lives in you?

2 Corinthians 6:16What agreement is there between the temple of God and idols? For we are the temple of the living God. As God has said: "I will live with them and walk among them, and I will be their God, and they will be my people."

Romans 8:9 You, however, are controlled not by the sinful nature but by the Spirit, if the Spirit of God lives in you.

Ephesians 2:22 And in him you too are being built together to become a dwelling in which God lives by his Spirit.

Jesus is Spirit.

2 Corinthians 3:17 Now the Lord is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom.

2 Corinthians 3:18 And we, who with unveiled faces all reflect the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into His image with intensifying glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit.

Jesus lives in the saved.

2 Corinthians 13:5Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you--unless, of course, you fail the test?

John 14:23 Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him.

I have proven with scripture that God is Spirit, and there is only one divine Spirit, and Jesus is the Spirit, and they are all one and the same.

genuineoriginal

1Ti 3:16 KJV And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifest in the flesh, justified in the Spirit, seen of angels, preached unto the Gentiles, believed on in the world, received up into glory.
Congratulations, you have found a verse that was altered by Trinitarians after the First Council of Nicaea in 325 declared that Jesus was God.
The verse was also altered after the First Council of Constantinople in 381 declared the the Holy Ghost was also God.

Here is a modern translation created from Greek documents before the verse was altered by Trinitarians:

1 Timothy 3:16 NIV
16 Beyond all question, the mystery from which true godliness springs is great:
He appeared in the flesh,
was vindicated by the Spirit,[a]
was seen by angels,
was preached among the nations,
was believed on in the world,
was taken up in glory.​

PS: The translators of the NIV are Trinitarians who would have loved to have included "God" in the verse but were too honest to do so.

genuineoriginal

We are only given one Spirit.
You seem quite sure of that, do you have any verses to back that statement up?
Ephesians 4:4 There is one body and one Spirit, just as you were called to one hope when you were called;

Ephesians 2:18 For through Him we both have access to the Father by one Spirit.
When Paul says "one Spirit" in that verse, he is saying that there is not a Spirit given to Gentile believers and a different Spirit given to Jewish believers, but that the same Spirit given to the Jewish believers is the same Spirit given to the Gentile believers.

Ephesians 2:14-18
14 For he is our peace, who hath made both one, and hath broken down the middle wall of partition between us;
15 Having abolished in his flesh the enmity, even the law of commandments contained in ordinances; for to make in himself of twain one new man, so making peace;
16 And that he might reconcile both unto God in one body by the cross, having slain the enmity thereby:
17 And came and preached peace to you which were afar off, and to them that were nigh.
18 For through him we both have access by one Spirit unto the Father.

The reason I asked if we are only given one spirit is that there are several mentions of the seven spirits of God.
Look at this verse and count how many spirits are given to the man described:

Isaiah 11:2
2 And the spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord;

I count either 4 or 7.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Congratulations, you have found a verse that was altered by Trinitarians after the First Council of Nicaea in 325 declared that Jesus was God.
The verse was also altered after the First Council of Constantinople in 381 declared the the Holy Ghost was also God.

Here is a modern translation created from Greek documents before the verse was altered by Trinitarians:

was seen by angels,
was taken up in glory.​

PS: The translators of the NIV are Trinitarians who would have loved to have included "God" in the verse but were too honest to do so.

Nope

From CARM.org
​​​​​​ [h=1]Did the Council of Nicea invent the Deity of Jesus?[/h]
by Ryan Turner

The council of Nicea (325 A.D.) was not the first Christian creed and was not the first time Christians affirmed the Divinity of Jesus. In fact, Jesus was believed to be God by the earliest Christians as seen in Paul (1 Cor. 8:6 [40-55 A.D.]; Phil. 2:5-11 [40-60 A.D.]; 1 Cor. 1:2; 16:22 [40-60 A.D.]) and taught by Jesus in the Gospels: Mark (Mk. 2:5-11 [55-70 A.D.]), Matthew (Mt. 2:2; 28:9 [60-80 A.D.]), Luke ([60-80 A.D.]), and John (John 5:18; 14:9; cf. John 20:28 [90-100 A.D.]). Also, Hebrews and Revelation. [h=3]325 A.D. - Creed #3[/h]
The Council of Nicea occurred in 325 A.D. in which the following creed was adopted

We believe in one God, the Father, the Almighty, maker of heaven and earth, of all that is, seen and unseen.

We believe in one Lord, Jesus Christ, the only Son of God, eternally begotten of the Father, God from God, Light from Light, true God from true God, begotten, not made, of one Being with the Father. Through him all things were made. For us and for our salvation he came down from heaven: by the power of the Holy Spirit he became incarnate from the Virgin Mary, and was made man. For our sake he was crucified under Pontius Pilate; he suffered death and was buried. On the third day he rose again in accordance with the Scriptures; he ascended into heaven and is seated at the right hand of the Father. He will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead, and his kingdom will have no end.

We believe in the Holy Spirit, the Lord, the giver of life, who proceeds from the Father. With the Father and the Son he is worshiped and glorified. He has spoken through the Prophets. We believe in one holy catholic and apostolic Church. We acknowledge one baptism for the forgiveness of sins. We look for the resurrection of the dead, and the life of the world to come. Amen.

The most controversial parts about Jesus are underlined. They include the fact that Jesus is (1) the only or unique Son of God, (2) God from God or God the Son sent by God the Father, (3) begotten, not made The simple fact is that Jesus was not first beleived to be divine at the Council of Nicea. In fact, from the beginnings of the Christian movement, we see that Jesus was already believed to be Divine. [h=3]40-55 A.D. - Creed #2[/h]
The Council of Nicea was not the first creed. In 55 A.D., Paul records and adapts an early Jewish creed, but Christianizes it, Paul states,

"4 Therefore concerning the eating of things sacrificed to idols, we know that there is no such thing as an idol in the world, and that there is no God but one. 5 For even if there are so-called gods whether in heaven or on earth, as indeed there are many gods and many lords, 6 yet for us there is but one God, the Father, from whom are all things and we exist for Him; and one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we exist through Him."

Remarkably, Paul takes the Jewish statement of faith called the Shema and applies it to Jesus. The Shema states, ""Hear, O Israel! The LORD is our God, the LORD is one!" Paul says, "yet for us there is but one God...and one Lord, Jesus Christ... (1 Cor. 8:6)."Every Orthodox Jewish person is supposed to recite the Shema daily. This is the theme verse for Judaism which held to monotheism or the idea that there is only one God.

By Paul including Jesus within the Divine Identity of God as expressed in the Shema, he is essentially saying that Jesus is God. In essence, Jesus created all things as Paul states in 1 Corinthians 8:6b, "one Lord, Jesus Christ, by whom are all things, and we exist through Him." Jesus is seen as the Creator just like the council of Nicea says. So, already the notion of Jeus being God and being the Creator are taught by Paul in 55 A.D. [h=3]40-60 A.D. - Creed #1[/h]
However, 1 Corinthians 8:4-6 is not all that Paul had to say about Jesus. In Philippians 2:6-11 Paul records the following early Christian hymn,

"5 Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, 6 who, although [1] He existed in the form of God, [2] did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, 7 but [3] emptied Himself, [4] taking the form of a bond-servant, and [5] being made in the likeness of men. 8 [6] Being found in appearance as a man, [7] He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. 9 For this reason also, [8] God highly exalted Him, and [9] bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, 10 [10] so that at the name of Jesus EVERY KNEE WILL BOW, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, 11 [12] and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father."

This passage is considered to be a hymn that pre-dates Paul. Paul wrote Philippians around 60 A.D., but he records this hymn which has to date earlier that 60 A.D. This passage says Jesus existed in the form of God or that He was God.

When the passage speaks of Jesus being "made" in the likeness of men it is talking not about Jesus coming into existence by creation (which the Council of Nicea rejects), but taking on human flesh. In other words, the hymn is saying that Jesus pre-existed in heaven and he was "made" or "took on" human flesh.

genuineoriginal

I have proven with scripture that God is Spirit, and there is only one divine Spirit, and Jesus is the Spirit, and they are all one and the same.
Which one of the seven Spirits of God is the only divine Spirit?

Revelation 3:1
1 And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

"NIV"

Why am I not surprised...

Putting that aside for a moment, let's assume that, for the sake of your argument, that the text was in fact changed.

Has what was said changed significantly enough that it no longer says practically the same thing? For example, if I said originally, "The rock is hard," but someone came along and recounted what I said, but in doing so changed what I said to, "that is a hard rock," was what was said completely different, or do both statements say pretty much the same thing?

Compare the NIV with the NKJV, or even the Wescott-Hort.

Is what was said significantly different, or were things simply reworded to make what was said clearer, more "modern" and easier for the common person to understand?

Here's the WH, btw:

16και ομολογουμενως μεγα εστιν το της ευσεβειας μυστηριον ος εφανερωθη εν σαρκι εδικαιωθη εν πνευματι ωφθη αγγελοις εκηρυχθη εν εθνεσιν επιστευθη εν κοσμω ανελημφθη εν δοξη

and the NKJV:

And without controversy great is the mystery of godliness: God was manifested in the flesh, Justified in the Spirit, Seen by angels, Preached among the Gentiles, Believed on in the world, Received up in glory. - 1 Timothy 3:16 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/...6&version=NKJV

was seen by angels,
was taken up in glory.​

Who is "He" referring to, GO?

Jesus?

God?

Someone else?

Once again, you've ignored the context in favor of your a priori belief that the Bible does not teach that Jesus is God.

Look at the verse immediately prior to verse 16. Who is it talking about?

God.

Therefore, "He" in verse 16 (NIV) is talking about God.

Which is exactly what the NKJV and the WH and the KJV say.

So, really, all that's changed is the wording, not the inherent meaning.

In other words, you're making a mountain out of a molehill, and rejecting what the Bible clearly teaches simply because your Bible words it differently than another version, which facilitates your a priori belief that Jesus is not God, even though it doesn't really, because God's word is robust enough and redundant enough that a simple re-wording won't change what is being said.

So, how about instead of complaining about how a verse is worded, you look at what the verse actually says, in context, and forego your a priori belief that God did not come in the flesh and dwell among us, which is exactly what John 1;1 and 14 say, that the Word who is God became flesh and tabernacled among us, and just accept that that's what the Bible teaches?

Right Divider

Body part

was seen by angels,
was taken up in glory.​

The Greek text from which the KJB was translated has the word THEOS there.... to translating it GOD is exactly correct. Sorry again that you don't like the truth.

genuineoriginal

Nope

From CARM.org
​​​​​​ [h=1]Did the Council of Nicea invent the Deity of Jesus?[/h]
No, the Council of Nicea did not invent the Deity of Jesus.
They declared that Jesus was the same being as God the Father, which is a teaching that is never found in the Bible.
The way they came to that conclusion was by acting in violation of Paul's warnings to Timothy.

1 Timothy 6:4-5
4 He is proud, knowing nothing, but doting about questions and strifes of words, whereof cometh envy, strife, railings, evil surmisings,
5 Perverse disputings of men of corrupt minds, and destitute of the truth, supposing that gain is godliness: from such withdraw thyself.

From Wikipedia:
Much of the debate hinged on the difference between being "born" or "created" and being "begotten". Arians saw these as essentially the same; followers of Alexander did not. The exact meaning of many of the words used in the debates at Nicaea were still unclear to speakers of other languages. Greek words like "essence" (ousia), "substance" (hypostasis), "nature" (physis), "person" (prosopon) bore a variety of meanings drawn from pre-Christian philosophers, which could not but entail misunderstandings until they were cleared up. The word homoousia, in particular, was initially disliked by many bishops because of its associations with Gnostic heretics (who used it in their theology), and because their heresies had been condemned at the 264–268 Synods of Antioch.​

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
As far as I am concerned those who deny the deity of Jesus Christ deny the faith itself and cannot, in any meaningful way, call themselves a Christian.

To rightly be considered a Christian one must minimally believe the following...
  • God exists and is the Creator of all things and He is perfect, holy, and just.
  • We, having willfully done evil things and rebelled against God, who is the source of life, deserve death.
  • Because God loves us, He provided for Himself a propitiation (an atoning sacrifice) by becoming a man whom we call Jesus Christ.
  • Jesus, being the Creator God Himself and therefore innocent of any sin, willingly bore the sins of the world and died on our behalf.
  • Jesus rose from the dead.
  • If you confess with you mouth, the Lord Jesus Christ (i.e. openly acknowledge your need of a savior and that He is that Savior) and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, YOU WILL BE SAVED.
Those who deny even one of the above points remove themselves from the faith and stand in danger of enduring Hell in payment of their own sin debt.

God's Truth

When Paul says "one Spirit" in that verse, he is saying that there is not a Spirit given to Gentile believers and a different Spirit given to Jewish believers, but that the same Spirit given to the Jewish believers is the same Spirit given to the Gentile believers.

What you say doesn't change the fact that there is only one divine Spirit.

The reason I asked if we are only given one spirit is that there are several mentions of the seven spirits of God.
Look at this verse and count how many spirits are given to the man described:

Isaiah 11:2
2 And the spirit of the Lord shall rest upon him, the spirit of wisdom and understanding, the spirit of counsel and might, the spirit of knowledge and of the fear of the Lord;

I count either 4 or 7.

The scriptures I gave said there is only one Spirit.

The seven spirits of God are not given to live in us.

The seven spirits of God are the angels over the churches during the laying of the foundation.

The Spirit is the Spirit of wisdom, understanding, counsel, knowledge, and to those who fear the Lord.

Same one and only divine Spirit.

God's Truth

Which one of the seven Spirits of God is the only divine Spirit?

Revelation 3:1
1 And unto the angel of the church in Sardis write; These things saith he that hath the seven Spirits of God, and the seven stars; I know thy works, that thou hast a name that thou livest, and art dead.

The seven spirits of God are the angels over the churches in the New Testament times.

Again, we are only given the Spirit of God when we are saved, and it is Jesus' Spirit.

Hebrews 1:14 Are not all angels ministering spirits sent to serve those who will inherit salvation?

Revelation 1:20
This is the mystery of the seven stars you saw in My right hand and of the seven golden lampstands: The seven stars are the angels of the seven churches, and the seven lampstands are the seven churches.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
As far as I am concerned those who deny the deity of Jesus Christ deny the faith itself and cannot, in any meaningful way, call themselves a Christian.

To rightly be considered a Christian one must minimally believe the following...
  • God exists and is the Creator of all things and He is perfect, holy, and just.
  • We, having willfully done evil things and rebelled against God, who is the source of life, deserve death.
  • Because God loves us, He provided for Himself a propitiation (an atoning sacrifice) by becoming a man whom we call Jesus Christ.
  • Jesus, being the Creator God Himself and therefore innocent of any sin, willingly bore the sins of the world and died on our behalf.
  • If you confess with you mouth, the Lord Jesus Christ (i.e. openly acknowledge your need of a savior and that He is that Savior) and believe in your heart that God raised Him from the dead, YOU WILL BE SAVED.
Those who deny even one of the above points remove themselves from the faith and stand in danger of enduring Hell in payment of their own sin debt.

:first:

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

:thumb: