It's All Buddha

ShadowMaid

Originally posted by beanieboy

I see.
So you are angry at OTHER sinners.
But are more forgiving of yourself.

Beanieboy, I don't understand how you get these idea's.

Although, yes, I am NOW angry at myself. I'm angry because I always thought debating was usless, and now I'm not prepared to debate with you. I'm angry because I never used to think I had to work hard to be more like Jesus. And now all I have to defend myself is what I think is in the Bible.

But that doesn't mean that I don't believe. I do believe homo's should be put to death. Shouldn't we try to be more like God and do what He would do?

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

For example, I love smoking. I like the way it feels.
Good thing, since you'll be experiencing your fair share of it. :devil:

beanieboy

Originally posted by ShadowMaid

Beanieboy, I don't understand how you get these idea's.

Although, yes, I am NOW angry at myself. I'm angry because I always thought debating was usless, and now I'm not prepared to debate with you. I'm angry because I never used to think I had to work hard to be more like Jesus. And now all I have to defend myself is what I think is in the Bible.

But that doesn't mean that I don't believe. I do believe homo's should be put to death. Shouldn't we try to be more like God and do what He would do?

God killed entire cities.
Shouldn't you be out killing heathens, to be more like God?

beanieboy

Originally posted by Poly

Good thing, since you'll be experiencing your fair share of it. :devil:

Sweetie, how many times do I have to say this?
We aren't on the paths to the same place.

I would suggest you take out your map.
I think you made a wrong turn at Albaquerque

beanieboy

Btw, don't be angry because now you have to think, and support your ideas, or question what you are taught.
If anything, it will make you stronger in your beliefs.
It will make you understand better.
Ask God to guide you.

And remember that the Jewish scholars always debated the Torah and writings. We are given a mind to reason and understand. You are shedding your childish ways. Welcome to adulthood.:)

Should we try to be more like God?
Definitely.

:thumb:

What that means, well, that's what you have to learn.
Good luck.

ShadowMaid

God killed entire cities.
Shouldn't you be out killing heathens, to be more like God?

It may be for the same reason you aren't going out and killing heathens. But I think I'm not out killing heathen for a different reason.

BChristianK

Wickwoman said:
You’ve heard the saying: “it’s all good.” There are things that happen to us and we judge them constantly as good or bad. The first key: they do not happen TO us, they just happen. The second key: they are neither good nor bad, they just are.
It depends a great deal as to what you mean exactly by “they.” You said that they are those things that happen that we judge as either good or bad.

Now it is true that some things happen that are neither good nor bad. A plane arrives late, that ‘s bad for the guy on the plane who needs to get to a meeting and will now be late to that meeting. It is good for the guy who left a meeting late and, were it not for the delay of the plane, would not be able to get back home to his family.

So there are some things that are neither good or bad, they just are.

However, there are also some things that I think we can accurately identify as bad.

The senseless beating of a homosexual to death by some very angry students outside of Laramie Wyoming is not, in my opinion, just somethin’ that happened.

It can be said rightly that this was bad, and that it happened to that young man.

Would you disagree?
Do you see how that is an important qualification to your statement?

Now you said:
This is a Buddhist way of thinking about the things that arise that we would judge as good or bad: “it’s all buddha.” For all that happens is part of the whole. The good parts of us, the bad parts of us, are all part of our essence. Without the experiences that shape us – good and bad – we would not be the people we are today. Without the experiences that will come along today and tomorrow, we would not be the people we are to be in the future.
Ah, here again are elements I can agree with. To start with the agreement, there is the story of Joseph, who was sold into slavery, made the scapegoat of a setup, thrown into prison, came out of prison to become the second most powerful man in the largest and most powerful kingdom on the earth at that time, and finally brought drought relief to his father and his brothers who had sold him into slavery.

His statement when he finally confronted his brother was, "As for you, you meant evil against me, but God meant it for good in order to bring about this present result, to preserve many people alive.

It is true that all things work together for the good of those who love God and are called according to His purpose. And in many ways the things we judge ignorantly as bad are really seminal moments in our lives shaping us to be the people God intends for us to be.

I hear the doomsday messages of some religions today and think to myself lately, “it’s all buddha.” I am not alarmed at the growth of “sin.” When I see the world, I see the evolution of humanity towards an ever higher awareness of the earth, ourselves, and of God.
I am assuming by Buddha you mean “teaching.” That it is all “teaching.”
For, if I am correct, that is what the word "buddha" means. I don’t think that “the Buddha” would claim that everthing was him. But I know that Balder can inform us better here. So I agree that, to a great degree, everything is teaching.
God’s purposes will not be thwarted. His redemptive plan will be realized regardless of those who turn against him. So I also, don’t pay much attention to doomsday messages. In fact, I don’t really see a whole lot of doomsday messages in the word. I see apocalypse, which really means revealing or uncovering. I do see times of tribulation but those are all temporary and passing and the end of tribulation is the beginning of the goal of redemption.

But I am alarmed at sin, namely my own. I have enough trouble being alarmed at my own sin to pay an inordinant amount of attention to anyone elses. I see that the track that my sin would have me follow is the same track that the world, with its sin, is on, and the end is destruction, for sin is destined to be destroyed. The only hope is not to “live without resistance” to it, but to battle against it.

Were those students to battle against their own hatred, perhaps a young man would still be alive….

Grace and Peace

P.S. Haven’t seen you in awhile, hope everything was ok..

Duder

Over 750 post club
You’ve heard the saying: “it’s all good.” There are things that happen to us and we judge them constantly as good or bad. The first key: they do not happen TO us, they just happen. The second key: they are neither good nor bad, they just are.

This is a Buddhist way of thinking about the things that arise that we would judge as good or bad: “it’s all buddha.” For all that happens is part of the whole. The good parts of us, the bad parts of us, are all part of our essence. Without the experiences that shape us – good and bad – we would not be the people we are today. Without the experiences that will come along today and tomorrow, we would not be the people we are to be in the future.

It’s about living without resistance to what comes along, surrendering to our lives with appreciation for things as they are, appreciating every moment as part of a the greater whole that is our life.

I hear the doomsday messages of some religions today and think to myself lately, “it’s all buddha.” I am not alarmed at the growth of “sin.” When I see the world, I see the evolution of humanity towards an ever higher awareness of the earth, ourselves, and of God.

Wickwoman -

I would like to introduce you to a writer named Alan Watts (1923 - 1973). Watts was highly educated in religion, philosophy and the arts, and his passion was to explain as best he could the insights of the east in terms that the western mind could grasp. He did this in a very warm, conversational and sometimes funny style, and I think you would take great pleasure in reading The Book on the Taboo Against Knowing Who You Are to start.

Alan Watts had a lot to say about your insight that "it's all good". Ultimately, he would have agreed with you. But while a world divided into good and bad is an illusory world, it is still an important world. It's the one we find ourselves in, and people of action who love life will have to deal with the problem of evil - it won't just "meditate away".

God, Brahman or the Ultimate Self put evil here to give us something to resist! With evil present, "the game is afoot". Now there are stakes that make life interesting. And that, according to Watt's and his interpretation of eastern wisdom, is the point of life - for both you and the Ultimate Self to have interesting experiences.

When an enlightened person discovers that evil is but one pole of an illusory continuum, he loses the absurd belief that evil must be eradicated. Of course evil must be resisted, but to wipe it out is not only impossible, it would also end the game!

It is good for an enlightened person to fight injustice, but he does so with a sly wink at his enemy - a wink that says "I see the Buddha hiding in you, you old rascal!"

Buddhism is about the middle way. It does not want to destroy evil by "meditating it away" - nor does it want to destroy evil by taking an ultimately serious stand against it. It would have us fight evil AS A GAME. The point is, it is NOT serious. It is PLAY, this whole Maya business - and when you know it is play, then you become a more effective player.

Originally posted by Balder:
Just don't tell the cranky old Zen masters that it's all Buddha. Whenever they see the Buddha on the road, they want to kill him. If everything is Buddha, we'd have quite a mess...

Just kiddin', wick!

Thanks for shedding a little radiance in here!

Peace out the revolution,

Balder

I think we're saying the same thing in different ways, eh?

beanieboy

It may be for the same reason you aren't going out and killing heathens. But I think I'm not out killing heathen for a different reason.

But couldn't one argue:
God killed whole villages.
I'm going to go kill whole villages of heathens, because I want to be like God?

On Fire

But couldn't one argue:
God killed whole villages.
I'm going to go kill whole villages of heathens, because I want to be like God?

:kookoo: :freak: :kookoo: :freak: :kookoo: :freak: :kookoo: :freak: :kookoo: :freak: :kookoo: :freak: :kookoo: :freak: :kookoo: :freak: :kookoo: :freak: :kookoo: :freak: :kookoo: :freak: :kookoo: :freak: :kookoo: :freak: :kookoo: :freak: :kookoo: :freak: :kookoo: :freak: :kookoo: :freak: :kookoo: :freak: :kookoo: :freak: :kookoo: :freak: :kookoo: :freak: :kookoo: :freak: :kookoo: :freak: :kookoo: :freak:

beanieboy

According to Buddhism, one is to see Buddha in everyone.
But that isn't different than what Christ taught. He said to turn the other cheek, and return evil with kindness, to love and bless your enemies.

Why? Because God loves everyone. God loved us when we were still sinners, and we need to show that love to one another. If you tell someone, "You are going to hell! Have a nice life!" you have given them no hope, no out, just condemnation.

It's not how Christ was. Christ loved the Prostitute, and said nothing unkind to her. He loved the adultress, and said nothing unkind to her. He saw the goodness in them. Sure, we all do bad things, but deep down, we all possess the ability to be good.

Paul killed Christians, and look at him.

JoyfulRook

There is a parable about a man that owed a huge debt.
He was forgiven the debt, and went on his way.
He then came to another man who owed him a small debt. He refused to forgive the debt.
When the first man found this out, he said, "I forgave you a large debt, and you cannot forgive the small debt in another. So because you have not forgiven the small debt, I will not forgive your large debt."

What does that mean, exactly?

Under the Kingdom Plan you had to forgive to be forgiven. Under the Body of Christ you forgive BECAUSE HE has forgiven your, but do not forgive those who have not repented (like you). BTW: There are no drugs or Ciggs in hell, :devil:

JoyfulRook

It's all, like, good wicky! Like, Peace out dude, I think i'm gonna, like, fall over from that overdose, dude! But, like, Listen to this dude, it's like all profound, dude, It's all, like, Buhda, dude... :rolleyes:

beanieboy

Originally posted by Dread Helm

Under the Kingdom Plan you had to forgive to be forgiven. Under the Body of Christ you forgive BECAUSE HE has forgiven your, but do not forgive those who have not repented (like you). BTW: There are no drugs or Ciggs in hell, :devil:

And there are cigs and drugs in heaven?
I'm not sure why you even bring that up.

So, according to your belief, the point Jesus was making is that you only have to forgive if someone is sorry.
Interesting.

So, Jesus cried out, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do," and God said back, "Fat chance. It isn't like they are even sorry."

servent101

Wickwoman
This is a Buddhist way of thinking about the things that arise that we would judge as good or bad: “it’s all Buddha.” For all that happens is part of the whole. The good parts of us, the bad parts of us, are all part of our essence. Without the experiences that shape us – good and bad – we would not be the people we are today. Without the experiences that will come along today and tomorrow, we would not be the people we are to be in the future.

It’s about living without resistance to what comes along, surrendering to our lives with appreciation for things as they are, appreciating every moment as part of a the greater whole that is our life.

I hear the doomsday messages of some religions today and think to myself lately, “it’s all Buddha.” I am not alarmed at the growth of “sin.” When I see the world, I see the evolution of humanity towards an ever higher awareness of the earth, ourselves, and of God.

People who teach this - then go and do remarkable things to call people to become more companionate, charitable, peaceful - but a lot of people read these things then use it as an excuse to watch the soap operas on TV, let their neighbor live in hell, drive by people in need - to escape reality and live in their own little world, void of compassion for anyone - seeking their own happiness, and failing miserably at that.

People do learn from their own mistakes, and people do get hurt when they are not watching out for the evil in the world - to take steps to prevent bad things from happening to them. When we have an attitude of All is Buddha - if it increases our ability to do good - then that is what it is meant for - so we can do more, accomplish more to better the human race, though this is not the case for people who take an individual approach to the writings - without guidance it is easy to make mistakes.

With Christ's Love

Servent101

beanieboy

Buddhists are never to live passively.
You are to live actively, and giving freely.

I was reading this interesting book where the guy was talking about giving. A friend was over, and asked if he could have some juice, after opening the fridge. The man thought, if i say yes, I will have less juice for me. And then he thought, it's just juice. I can walk across the street and buy more.

It's like that. We think of it as good or bad. If you drink my juice, it is good for you, and bad for me. It should just be an offer with no judgement attached.

It's just juice, not a gallon of your blood.