It's All Buddha

On Fire

Originally posted by beanieboy

Buddhists are never to live passively.
You are to live actively, and giving freely.

I was reading this interesting book where the guy was talking about giving. A friend was over, and asked if he could have some juice, after opening the fridge. The man thought, if i say yes, I will have less juice for me. And then he thought, it's just juice. I can walk across the street and buy more.

It's like that. We think of it as good or bad. If you drink my juice, it is good for you, and bad for me. It should just be an offer with no judgement attached.

It's just juice, not a gallon of your blood.

Ya know....you should start your own religion! Beanieism, or Beanites, or Cliches-a-Plenty.

Christine

According to Buddhism, one is to see Buddha in everyone.
But that isn't different than what Christ taught. He said to turn the other cheek, and return evil with kindness, to love and bless your enemies.
"Turn the other cheek" was directed at a different dispensation.

It's not how Christ was. Christ loved the Prostitute, and said nothing unkind to her. He loved the adultress, and said nothing unkind to her. He saw the goodness in them. Sure, we all do bad things, but deep down, we all possess the ability to be good.
Unlike you, he told them to repent of their sins.

Paul killed Christians, and look at him.
He repented. He didn't continuing persecuting believers upon being saved.

wickwoman

Thanks Beanieboy, Balder and Purex and anyone else I missed, for your kind comments.

To everyone else: There is no necessity to judge which bad events will turn out good in the end and which will not. For that matter, you, as a human being, do not have the foresight to do so. Example: Jesus’ crucifixion looked like a terrible event to the human beings who were there. And there were probably some followers who did not see him in his resurrected state (if this actually happened). They could have gone on and on about how terrible it was that he was crucified, however, they were incapable of knowing what the future held and how an entire religion that lasted for thousands of years would be founded on this person Jesus Christ.

As for those with bad intentions who commit what appears to be evil, they will receive their reward. However, this does not preclude the fact that all will work together for good. And, by no means, does the “it’s all Buddha” philosophy encourage wrong acts. However, it points to the truth of the matter: “all things work together for good.” Just because you do not see the end result does not mean that the end will not be good.

And how could anyone who acknowledges that even some things that look terrible on the surface do turn out good in the end, protest that there are other things that absolutely will not? How can a human being truly know the difference? Unless you have the ability to look into the future to the end of time, then you cannot predict that ALL things will not work together for good.

This is not condoning “evil.” It is giving up resistance to the whole of existence or the Tao, doing what you can to change your own world, and trusting the universe to handle the rest.

BChristianK

Wickwoman
There is no necessity to judge which bad events will turn out good in the end and which will not. For that matter, you, as a human being, do not have the foresight to do so.
Agreed, but does that make such things good in and of themselves? You mentioned the crucifixion. Was that a good thing to do to someone? Should Pilate and the Sanhedrin be commended for this action because it all turned out good in the end?

I agree that some bad things lead to the good, but that doesn’t make the bad thing good.

Some good things came out of the murder of Matthew Shepherd, a lot of dialog was sparked about hate crimes, but that doesn’t make the students who killed Matthew shepherd commendable or innocent of guilt.

We appear to agree in your next statement.
As for those with bad intentions who commit what appears to be evil, they will receive their reward. However, this does not preclude the fact that all will work together for good.
So we are about 85% on the same page, where I disagree with you is in the next statement.

And how could anyone who acknowledges that even some things that look terrible on the surface do turn out good in the end, protest that there are other things that absolutely will not? How can a human being truly know the difference? Unless you have the ability to look into the future to the end of time, then you cannot predict that ALL things will not work together for good.
This will probably sound nitpicky but I think it is an important nitpick. Some things, are truly wrong, not just wrong on the surface. Those things can still be used toward an end of the ultimate good, but they are still wrong.

Now you are right that as human being we cannot look to into the eschaton and know for certain which things happened for the ultimate good and which did not, but we can still look and see things like the brutal rape, enslavement and murder of women in Sudan as evil and wrong.

Now you finally say:
This is not condoning “evil.” It is giving up resistance to the whole of existence or the Tao, doing what you can to change your own world, and trusting the universe to handle the rest.
the concept of trusting the universe is one that I have always found a little strange. It is a bit off topic, but as I consider the universe to be the sum of all things in the cosmos, I don’t place much trust in it as an entity with a collective consciousness.

My toilet bowl, my toothbrush and my dirty socks are all a part of the universe, and I don’t place a lot of trust in the vast accumulations of toilet bowls, toothbrushes and dirty socks, along with everything else in universe, to work things out.

I’d rather put my trust in a God Who’s composition is totally devoid of toilet bowls and dirty socks.

Perhaps I will start a thread on the alleged sovereignty of the universe.

:D

Grace and Peace

Cyrus of Persia

Re: Re: It's All Buddha

Re: Re: It's All Buddha

Originally posted by ShadowMaid

Well, I'm not going to let homo's into my house. I'm not about to let homo's talk to my siblings. I'm not about to let a druggie offer them drugs, and I'm not about to support putting them in a corrupt school.

Do you also forbid your kids to interact with people who are gluttons, ShadowMaid?

Cyrus of Persia

I'm angry because there shouldn't be such thing as homo's... but there is. I'm angry because there shouldn't be such thing as sexual intercourse out of marriage... but there is. God abhors these sins, and I abhor them also.

Should there be people who love to eat too much?

Cyrus of Persia

Originally posted by Dread Helm

Actually when your a Christian God blots out your sins, and covers it with "CHRISTIAN" so even if you sin, youre no longer a "Sinner".

So it's ok to be gay who is Christian, and not ok to be gay who is non-Christian?

It's ok to be glutton who is Christian, and not ok to be glutton who is non-Christian?

Christine

Re: Re: Re: It's All Buddha

Re: Re: Re: It's All Buddha

Originally posted by Cyrus of Persia

Do you also forbid your kids to interact with people who are gluttons, ShadowMaid?
I'm not ShadowMiad, but allow me to express my opinion. :) Gluttony is, of course a sin, but it is far worse than sodomy. Why? Gluttons only hurt themselves, but sodomites often molest children and hurt others. So, my answer would be, yes, I would allow my children to interact with gluttons.

Christine

So, if I kill 100 people, then stop, I am no longer a murderer?

Interesting.
I did not say that. If someone murdered 100 people, upon salvation, God would help them to stop murdering. However, they would still have to answer to the leagal authorities for their crimes and face the penalty.

On Fire

Interesting.

Remove your head from your posterior.

If you kill 100 people then stop you are still a murder and will spend the rest of your life in prison (or, better yet, suffer the death penalty).

If you kill 100 people then stop and receive Jesus Christ you are a redeemed murder and will spend the rest of your life in prison (or, better yet, suffer the death penalty) but you will also go to heaven.

On Fire

Originally posted by Christine

I did not say that. If someone murdered 100 people, upon salvation, God would help them to stop murdering. However, they would still have to answer to the leagal authorities for their crimes and face the penalty.

Exactly.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

Kill? I doubt you can even hit. I'll bet you can "thlap thomebody thilly though".

beanieboy

Originally posted by wickwoman
As for those with bad intentions who commit what appears to be evil, they will receive their reward.

I agree.
My human behavior often wants to get revenge. This place is like a Petri dish that just makes you want to return evil with evil.

But really, it helps me see what true ugliness is, and know that I don't want to be like that, especially don't like it when I see it displayed in myself.

But it teaches me kindness, not out of example, but out of being forced into it.
It teaches me that evil returns evil and continues an endless chain, but kindness breaks the evil.

And I believe that being angry, being sad enough to lash out at other people and claim that you are being loving, is, in itself, its own punishment. It separates you from others, and so, from God.

It's just hard to keep remembering that. Thanks for the string around the finger.:)

beanieboy

Originally posted by Christine

Unlike Paul....

Cyrus of Persia

I do believe homo's should be put to death. Shouldn't we try to be more like God and do what He would do?

I do believe that rebellious children who kick their parents should be put to death (Ex 21:15)

I do believe that anyone who does any work in day of Sabbath, should be put to death (Ex 31:14)

I do believe that anyone who ever drinks blood, should be put to death (Lv 17:14)

I do believe that anyone who sleeps with his wife during menstruation should be put to death (Lv 18:19,29; 20:18)

I do believe that anyone who is commiting adultery should be put to death (Lv 20:10)

I do believe that anyone who mocks God's name (whatever in home, or in public, in TV, in Radio, in Internet, etc) should be put to death (Lv 24:16)

I hope, ShadowMaid, that you believe the same.

P.S. I also believe what is written in Rm 6:23 that everyone who sins is worthy of death. Even YOU and ME.

beanieboy

And there are cigs and drugs in heaven?
I'm not sure why you even bring that up.

So, according to your belief, the point Jesus was making is that you only have to forgive if someone is sorry.
Interesting.

So, Jesus cried out, "Father, forgive them, for they know not what they do," and God said back, "Fat chance. It isn't like they are even sorry."

Anyone going to take this one?

beanieboy

Originally posted by Cyrus of Persia

As does Poly one day before God's judgement seat.

Before. I think she believes she will be on the judgement throne.
"Move over, pops. Let me show you how it's done.
You - Off with your head, bwah hah hah"

(Shiver)