Israel approves 20 year prison terms for stone throwers

PureX

I very much agree with this. Having followed the Israeli news for several years now, this is a much needed disincentive.
I predict that it will "disincentivize" no one. In fact, I predict that it will incentiviize even more real terrorists when Israel starts locking up 9-year-old Palestinian kids for 20 years for throwing stones. Not to mention making Israelis look petty, vindictive, and foolish in the process.
Most of the rock throwers are terrorists.
Most of the rock-throwers are children.
It must be like swarms of ants in your house. It's not like going to the pub - which you don't have to do. You can avoid going to the pub. You can't avoid travelling on roads.
That's what happens when you occupy someone else's land. If you don't like being bit by ants, you shouldn't build your house on an anthill.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

If you call about 18 year olds "children" - actually its common practise for muslims over there to do to jews. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palestinian_stone-throwing
They are taught to do so from childhood, but most there participate in it.

attachment.php

Those arent "children"

User Name

Greatest poster ever
Banned
I'm not a millitary force occupying a different country. I feel bad for the regular people over there, Israelis and Palestinians, but I have little sympathy for the Israeli government.

How long do you think a person should be sentenced if they throw stones at you?

glorydaz

Right, but the principle remains that they're needlessly excessive punishments when, in reality, they're both acts that could result in the same damage and they're done to the same end.

Nope, they are not "done to the same end". One involves momentary (unpremeditated) anger against one or two individuals, and the other involves (premeditated) hatred for an entire people.

glorydaz

I predict that it will "disincentivize" no one. In fact, I predict that it will incentiviize even more real terrorists when Israel starts locking up 9-year-old Palestinian kids for 20 years for throwing stones. Not to mention making Israelis look petty, vindictive, and foolish in the process.

Drawing a cartoon of Mohamed is enough to "incentivize" a nut.

The older ones launch rockets.
That's what happens when you occupy someone else's land. If you don't like being bit by ants, you shouldn't build your house on an anthill.

The land belongs to Israel, and the Palestinians didn't even want it until Israel fixed it up. :nono:

glorydaz

I'm not a millitary force occupying a different country. I feel bad for the regular people over there, Israelis and Palestinians, but I have little sympathy for the Israeli government.

That's right. Why have sympathy for the folks tasked with keeping people safe in a tiny little country being bombarded by rockets on a constant basis? It must be a walk in the park for those guys in charge. They must sleep really well in those bomb shelters.

Daniel1611

That's right. Why have sympathy for the folks tasked with keeping people safe in a tiny little country being bombarded by rockets on a constant basis? It must be a walk in the park for those guys in charge. They must sleep really well in those bomb shelters.

There's a risk when you build your house in the middle of Palestine.

Daniel1611

I see, so it would be ok with you if you and your family were routinely pelted with rocks by american indians?

America went through the backlash from taking land from the native Americans. It's been centuries. It's not the same situation. Many Palestinians whose lives were upended by the UN and Israeli government are still alive. It's barely been 50 years. If I go to an Indian reservation and throw a family out of their house tomorow, I would expect that the least they might do is throw rocks, especially if they had no legal recourse. I don't think your analogy is accurate.

Nazaroo

There's a risk when you build your house in the middle of Palestine.

LOL!

I was thinking of the Holy Scripture about building your house on sand vs rock...

question is, is there any rock in Israel?

If I go to an Indian reservation and throw a family out of their house tomorow, I would expect that the least they might do is throw rocks, especially if they had no legal recourse. I don't think your analogy is accurate.

Thats just what McCain did! unbelievable...

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
America went through the backlash from taking land from the native Americans. It's been centuries. It's not the same situation. Many Palestinians whose lives were upended by the UN and Israeli government are still alive. It's barely been 50 years. If I go to an Indian reservation and throw a family out of their house tomorow, I would expect that the least they might do is throw rocks, especially if they had no legal recourse. I don't think your analogy is accurate.

Its completely accurate and its the same situation, most countries gained their lands through war.

Daniel1611

Its completely accurate and its the same situation, most countries gained their lands through war.

Yeah hundreds of years ago and eventually people chilled. In Israel, it's been 50 years. People are still mad. Further, with regards to your remark about other countries taking land, I say two wrongs don't make a right.

Foxfire

Soooo, you would support the right of an aggressor to displace you, your friends, family and neighbors from your/their home(s) and not resist that tyranny so long as they did so under the auspices of a contrived war?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Yeah hundreds of years ago and eventually people chilled. In Israel, it's been 50 years. People are still mad. Further, with regards to your remark about other countries taking land, I say two wrongs don't make a right.

Then you agree that harming people with rocks is wrong, thanks!

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Absolutely agree. But I don't agree with the 10 year minimum sentence. You see people throwing stones at tanks. That's not a 10-20 offense.

They throw them at people too and have killed many with them and that is a 10-20 offense, we have done the same to teens who caused injury (not death even) to motorists with them. See the facts already presented in this thread.

Daniel1611

They throw them at people too. See the facts already presented in this thread.

If it's a person, something should be done. What I gather is that it's 10-20 for throwing a stone regardless. I don't agree with the law. I'm expressing my options that A. The law is not good. B. Israel playing victim is getting played out

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Soooo, you would support the right of an aggressor to displace you, your friends, family and neighbors from your/their home(s) and not resist that tyranny so long as they did so under the auspices of a contrived war?

Not what happened and no it doesnt justify pelting rocks at innocent people - those doing it belong in jail.