Isn't it reasonable to doubt Young Earth Creationism?

Derf

The water was on the Earth. It's in the text.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

It started on the earth. Did it stay there? That's really the question you are wanting to beg.

The text, if read without a system to guide your interpretation, is pretty clear what the firmament is, where the firmament is, what is in the firmament, what is on the face of the firmament, and what the firmament is called.

I don't know if you saw my response to [MENTION=16942]JudgeRightly[/MENTION] about the extension of the two firmaments logically requiring two earths as well.

Derf

why would something have to be mentioned more than once?

Abraham's side is only mentioned once and is no longer relevant .

Luk 16:22 The poor man died and was carried by the angels to Abraham's side. The rich man also died and was buried,

But the scriptures don't take the time and energy to name it. What was the name of Abraham's side/bosom? There have been a few that have been proposed extra-biblically, but the scripture doesn't name it and then not talk about it again, ever.

Now, that doesn't mean there aren't those that use that term as a place name, "Abraham's Bosom", just like "Jesus' Tomb" can be visited in Jerusalem. But it doesn't say, 'And God called it "Abraham's Bosom"."

But indeed, "Heaven" IS mentioned more than once. "Heaven" is used hundreds of times in the bible. Just never for "earth". "Earth" is never called "heaven", that I know of, except here, and only recognized as that by a very few people.

Derf

The water being on earth, below the firmament called heaven, with a spherical shell super-continent with seas instead of oceans, is the only (as far as I'm aware) plausible scenario that doesn't rely on any miracles other than creation. Adding miracles into Genesis where there are none to make one's theory fit is a bad idea. Letting scripture speak for itself allows for Occam's Razor, the simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

Who is suggesting miracles beyond creation?

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Who is suggesting miracles beyond creation?
Not "who."

The different theories, such as canopy theory, and catastrophic plate tectonics. Both require miraculous rescue devices in order to work.

Canopy theory wouldn't work because any more than (iirc) 4 inches of water in the atmosphere would boil everything on the earth, which on it's own prevents it from working, but in addition to that, 4 inches of water in the atmosphere wouldn't be anywhere near enough to cover the earth nearly 20 cubits above the highest hills, nor does it explain where the water went, other than God removed it, which as I say below, is possible but isn't supported.

CPT doesn't work because you don't simply subduct 30-60 mile thick continental crust under other 30-60 mile thick continental crust. It's just not possible, and it still doesn't explain where the water came from nor where it went, except that it was miraculously removed by God, which is possible, but isn't supported by the text.

The only thing necessary (aside from the creation event) for the HPT to work is gravity, or more generally, physics.

Derf

Not "who."

The different theories, such as canopy theory, and catastrophic plate tectonics. Both require miraculous rescue devices in order to work.

Canopy theory wouldn't work because any more than (iirc) 4 inches of water in the atmosphere would boil everything on the earth, which on it's own prevents it from working, but in addition to that, 4 inches of water in the atmosphere wouldn't be anywhere near enough to cover the earth nearly 20 cubits above the highest hills, nor does it explain where the water went, other than God removed it, which as I say below, is possible but isn't supported.

CPT doesn't work because you don't simply subduct 30-60 mile thick continental crust under other 30-60 mile thick continental crust. It's just not possible, and it still doesn't explain where the water came from nor where it went, except that it was miraculously removed by God, which is possible, but isn't supported by the text.

The only thing necessary (aside from the creation event) for the HPT to work is gravity, or more generally, physics.

I think we're veering far afield. I'm not trying to denigrate Walt's theory or suggest others are better. Stripe started this little sub-topic by suggesting there are multiple firmaments, which he had a hard time giving evidence for.

I don't think Walt needs the earth-called-"Heaven"-firmament to keep the rest of his theory, does he? If he does, then his theory is bankrupt before it starts.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
I think we're veering far afield. I'm not trying to denigrate Walt's theory or suggest others are better. Stripe started this little sub-topic by suggesting there are multiple firmaments, which he had a hard time giving evidence for.

I don't think Walt needs the earth-called-"Heaven"-firmament to keep the rest of his theory, does he? If he does, then his theory is bankrupt before it starts.

IF (and that's a big IF) the water from the great deep was from below the firmament, then I think we can know that Walt Brown's HPT is correct, that it IS the correct theory.

One of the first challenges that Atheists bring up when discussing the flood is "where did the water come from?"

I'd like you to watch this, and you don't have to watch the whole thing, but I highly recommend watching all of it. It's about 3 hours, and unfortunately I don't have one single point to start watching from that gets my position across, nor do I remember the timestamps for each, meaning it would be simpler just to watch the whole thing, or at least the first half.

https://youtu.be/tpQSPaJ-X_U

Bob goes through the Biblical evidence for why there are two firmaments, one called Heaven, and one "of the heavens."

I know relying on videos is usually frowned upon in discussions, but I forget things easily, and it's far easier for me to direct people to other people's explanations of things that I agree with, especially if they do it better than I ever could.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

Ok, so you may want to start at 33 minutes in that video...

Jose Fly

One of the first challenges that Atheists bring up when discussing the flood is "where did the water come from?"
There's a bit more to it than that.

First, the challenges come from not just atheists, but from multiple fronts, i.e., non-young earth creationists and even from some young-earth creationists. As I've posted here many times, John Baumgardner from the Institute for Creation Research has written an article explaining how the flood just isn't possible without many miracles.

Second, the challenge isn't just "where did the water come from". It's that there simply isn't enough water on the earth to flood the entire earth. If there was, the entire earth would be flooded right now. The reason it isn't, and the reason we have this thing called "dry land", is because there simply isn't enough water.

You try and get around this by arguing that mountains and mountain ranges didn't exist (or were much smaller) prior to and during the flood, and were formed very rapidly. But as we've been over before, that doesn't work without multiple major miracles, primarily due to the ridiculous amounts of heat that would be given off. The Baumgardner article notes this in the section titled "The Thermal Problem"....

--"A further major problem in interpreting geologic history in light of the biblical Flood concerns the cooling of vast bodies of rock on a short timescale. Since all the present-day ocean floor is no older than Mesozoic, placing the onset of the Flood at the Precambrian-Cambrian boundary means that the present oceanic lithosphere must have cooled from near the molten state to its current temperature distribution in only a few thousand years.... It appears that some additional mechanism is required for cooling the oceanic lithosphere to its present thickness on a brief timescale."

--"A similar problem exists in the cooling of the large magmatic bodies in the continents known as batholiths. A good example is the granite body that comprises the Sierra Nevada mountain range of California. The crystallization age for this rock is Cretaceous, which means the body has cooled from the molten state since the onset of the Flood. Again thermal conduction alone simply cannot cool a body so vast in the span of a few thousand years....Some other mechanism seems to be needed."

--"A third observation that points to a need for special cooling is the viscosity of the mantle. Estimates for the present mantle viscosity make tectonic velocities greater than a few centimeters per year implausible. It appears almost essential to conclude the average mantle viscosity during the Flood and probably for many centuries afterward was several orders of magnitude lower than present to allow the large displacements of the continental blocks to their present positions. "​

Those appeals to "some other mechanism" is code for "miracle". Baumgardner sums up....

--"These observations all point to the need to remove large amounts of heat from extensive bodies of rock in the earth in order to account for the geological change proposed for the Flood. It is the author’s conclusion that this cannot happen within the framework of time-invariant physics."​

So you can't really say that the challenges to the flood models are just coming from atheists, can you? And unless you have new specific information that addresses the issues raised by Baumgardner, you can't say that miracles aren't required either.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber

By the way, keep in mind that this video is somewhat out of date. Walt has revised the theory to state that the crust was about 60 miles thick, not 10.

Derf

IF (and that's a big IF) the water from the great deep was from below the firmament, then I think we can know that Walt Brown's HPT is correct, that it IS the correct theory.

I'd like you to watch this, and you don't have to watch the whole thing, but I highly recommend watching all of it. It's about 3 hours, and unfortunately I don't have one single point to start watching from that gets my position across, nor do I remember the timestamps for each, meaning it would be simpler just to watch the whole thing, or at least the first half.

https://youtu.be/tpQSPaJ-X_U

Bob goes through the Biblical evidence for why there are two firmaments, one called Heaven, and one "of the heavens."

I know relying on videos is usually frowned upon in discussions, but I forget things easily, and it's far easier for me to direct people to other people's explanations of things that I agree with, especially if they do it better than I ever could.

I like a good amount of what Bob says, but he's off on this one. All of his references have alternate explanations that make as much or more sense, and don't try to confuse the words so badly.

It's really poor bible study. "Eisegesis", it think it's called.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It started on the earth. Did it stay there? That's really the question you are wanting to beg.
:AMR:

Seriously?

The "deep" is introduced in verse two. It's on the Earth. You want me to believe it flies into space because the Bible doesn't say it remains where it was?

What about all the other mentions of the deep in scripture that obviously refer to the oceans? Are you proposing more than one deep?

The text, if read without a system to guide your interpretation, is pretty clear what the firmament is, where the firmament is, what is in the firmament, what is on the face of the firmament, and what the firmament is called.

Why the distinction?

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The ridiculous amounts of heat that would be given off.

:rotfl:

Darwinists will do anything to keep their talking points alive.

This one is dead and buried, McFly. You're parading around a rotting corpse.

Derf

:AMR:

Seriously?

The "deep" is introduced in verse two. It's on the Earth. You want me to believe it flies into space because the Bible doesn't say it remains where it was?

What about all the other mentions of the deep in scripture that obviously refer to the oceans? Are you proposing more than one deep?
Seriously?
Are you having that much trouble understanding what you said that I responded to? You were saying the "deep" was something that was below the earth's crust, with another layer of water above the earth's crust (which you called the "firmament"). I was talking about the water above the firmament, which, if you actually read the scripture without a preconceived interpretation, it is apparent that the waters "above" the firmament would have to be "above" the sun, moon, and stars.

This is made apparent in the following verses, with an emphasis on vs 9 and 10:

[Gen 1:6 KJV] And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
[Gen 1:7 KJV] And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which [were] under the firmament from the waters which [were] above the firmament: and it was so.
[Gen 1:8 KJV] And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.
[Gen 1:9 KJV] And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry [land] appear: and it was so.
[Gen 1:10 KJV] And God called the dry [land] Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that [it was] good.
[Gen 1:14 KJV] And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
[Gen 1:15 KJV] And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
[Gen 1:17 KJV] And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,
[Gen 1:18 KJV] And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that [it was] good.

What you will see in vs. 9 is that After He names the firmament "heaven", He then makes dry land appear in the lower part, the part below the firmament. The non-dry stuff He calls "Seas", the dry stuff He called "Earth".

I'll touch again on a point I made earlier, God is naming these things, and when the translators record a name, they capitalize the name. I think this was a bad idea, but because multiple things were named, we can derive some information from the naming, denoted by capitalization. First, these names are the names we use for those kind of things: "Earth", "Seas", "Heaven". These are not names for things that can't be seen.

If "Seas" refers to pools of waters under the crust, then how did we get to call pools of water above the crust "Seas"? If "Heaven" is what God called the crust of the earth, how did we decide to call the stuff above the earth "Heaven"? One more thing: if the "Seas" are pools of water under the crust, and God pooled the waters under the crust to form dry land, which He called "Earth", then Earth, like the Seas, is not visible to us.

Can you see where your theory takes you? Seas are not the water we see, Earth is not the dry land we see, and Heaven is the ground we see by looking down. It's silly. It's antithetical to the meaning of the words.

And it's not necessary. Let's say that God did actually make pools of water below the crust (not the "firmament" in vs 7). Does He need to name it? No. Does He even need to tell us it is there? No. He didn't tell us what was below the waters, so there could easily be waters below the rock below the waters (and more layers of rock and water and rock and water below that).

There could just as easily be something we don't know about above the firmament of the heavens, where the other part of the waters went.

Why the distinction?

Distinction between what? I was not making a distinction. And I don't see the passage as making a distinction. I can only see where Bob Enyart got his distinction by hearing his version of Walt's theory. (That doesn't make it wrong, but it makes me question whether one could really get this from reading the scripture--I don't think one can.)

None of Walt's theory relies on the interpretation of "Heaven" to mean "crust of the earth". It functions as a potential support, but it only works if you already believe Walt's theory when you read Gen 1. That's an example of a system driving your interpretation of scripture. That's "eisegesis".

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Seriously?
Are you having that much trouble understanding what you said that I responded to? You were saying the "deep" was something that was below the earth's crust, with another layer of water above the earth's crust (which you called the "firmament"). I was talking about the water above the firmament, which, if you actually read the scripture without a preconceived interpretation, it is apparent that the waters "above" the firmament would have to be "above" the sun, moon, and stars.
That seems to be a mixture of things people believe.

I'm not sure whether you're challenging what I presented, or asserting what you believe.

What you will see in vs. 9 is that After He names the firmament "heaven", He then makes dry land appear in the lower part, the part below the firmament. The non-dry stuff He calls "Seas", the dry stuff He called "Earth".
That's the gathering together of the waters under the heavens.

If "Seas" refers to pools of waters under the crust.
It doesn't.

If "Heaven" is what God called the crust of the earth, how did we decide to call the stuff above the earth "Heaven"?
heavens. Specifically, the firmament of the heavens.

One more thing: if the "Seas" are pools of water under the crust.
The firmament named Heaven divided water above from water below. The seas formed from the water above (under the heavens). The water below powered the fountains of the deep.

Can you see where your theory takes you? Seas are not the water we see, Earth is not the dry land we see, and Heaven is the ground we see by looking down. It's silly. It's antithetical to the meaning of the words.
This is why I advocate drawing what we read. Your description is nothing l like what I presented.

There could just as easily be something we don't know about above the firmament of the heavens, where the other part of the waters went.
The firmament of the heavens was not said to divide anything.

Distinction between what?
The firmament named Heaven. The firmament of the heavens.

Two different firmaments.

None of Walt's theory relies on the interpretation of "Heaven" to mean "crust of the earth". It functions as a potential support, but it only works if you already believe Walt's theory when you read Gen 1. That's an example of a system driving your interpretation of scripture. That's "eisegesis".

Maybe. But that does nothing to show that what I have said is impossible.

Derf

That seems to be a mixture of things people believe.

I'm not sure whether you're challenging what I presented, or asserting what you believe.
That's pretty much just reading the scripture.

That's the gathering together of the waters under the heavens.
No. It's the same word that was introduced in the previous verse. It doesn't have "firmament of the" in front of it, it doesn't have an extra plural, it isn't capitalized in Hebrew, it just is the same word. And because it refers to the previous events, the waters below the thing called "heaven", it is ridiculous to detach the two verses and say they are talking about two different heavens and two different firmaments.

Reading "heaven" from vs 9 as something different from "heaven" in vs 8 is schizophrenic. No one would do that unless they were trying to fit the text into some model they had already developed separate from reading these verses. Let's look at it again:
[Gen 1:6 KJV] And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters. Where's the firmament? between two waters.
[Gen 1:7 KJV] And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which [were] under the firmament from the waters which [were] above the firmament: and it was so. Where are the two waters in comparison to the firmament? One above and one below.
[Gen 1:8 KJV] And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day. The firmament is named "heaven".
[Gen 1:9 KJV] And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry [land] appear: and it was so. "The waters under" refers directly back to vs 7. "The heaven" refers directly back to vs 8. There's nothing else for it to refer to.

It doesn't.
It does if you are consistent with your model and normal use of language.

heavens. Specifically, the firmament of the heavens.
The word for "heavens" is exactly the same word as the one for "heaven". Exactly. No difference. When you insert a difference, you are adding to scripture. Don't do that.

The firmament named Heaven divided water above from water below. The seas formed from the water above (under the heavens). The water below powered the fountains of the deep.
I understand this is what your model says. But this is not what scripture says. The model is fine, as long as it doesn't contradict scripture. But you (and Bob, and JudgeRightly, and Walt) are using the model to redefine terms in scripture to say something scripture doesn't really say. That's adding to scripture. Don't do that.

This is why I advocate drawing what we read. Your description is nothing l like what I presented.
If you'll draw what you read from scripture, without any input from your model, I'm willing to try this, although I've had trouble uploading pictures to TOL.

The firmament of the heavens was not said to divide anything.

The firmament named Heaven. The firmament of the heavens.

Two different firmaments.
Only if you ignore what the scripture says. Don't do that.

Maybe. But that does nothing to show that what I have said is impossible.
Thank you!!! Yes, you are correct, and that's what I've been saying--Walt's theory is just fine as a theory, but Walt's interpretation of Genesis is poor to terrible. If Walt needs Genesis to say that there are two firmaments in order for his theory to work, then his theory is wrong. But if he doesn't need that, then only his hermeneutics is wrong, and he should stick to theory-making.

Jose Fly

You, Sunshine.

When kinetic energy is converted, it does not have to be converted to heat
Stripe hates reading.

My post was about material from John Baumgardner of the Institute for Creation Research and how he concluded that various aspects of the flood model don't work without miracles (cooling of the lithosphere, cooling of batholiths, and viscosity of the mantle). None of it was about kinetic energy.

Try paying closer attention next time.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Seriously?

No, "waters below" are subterranean. "Waters above" would be seas. You're still trying to fit some vapor canopy idea(s) into this. That, or you're trying to interpret the "firmament called Heaven" as the "firmament of the heavens."

The firmament called Heaven is terra firma.

The firmament of the heavens is space.

This is made apparent in the following verses, with an emphasis on vs 9 and 10:

[Gen 1:6 KJV] And God said, Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.
[Gen 1:7 KJV] And God made the firmament, and divided the waters which [were] under the firmament from the waters which [were] above the firmament: and it was so.
[Gen 1:8 KJV] And God called the firmament Heaven. And the evening and the morning were the second day.
[Gen 1:9 KJV] And God said, Let the waters under the heaven be gathered together unto one place, and let the dry [land] appear: and it was so.
[Gen 1:10 KJV] And God called the dry [land] Earth; and the gathering together of the waters called he Seas: and God saw that [it was] good.
[Gen 1:14 KJV] And God said, Let there be lights in the firmament of the heaven to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs, and for seasons, and for days, and years:
[Gen 1:15 KJV] And let them be for lights in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth: and it was so.
[Gen 1:17 KJV] And God set them in the firmament of the heaven to give light upon the earth,
[Gen 1:18 KJV] And to rule over the day and over the night, and to divide the light from the darkness: and God saw that [it was] good.

He named the firmament in the midst of the waters (the waters below, aka "the Deep" (Genesis 1:2) (which David in Psalms refers to as being in storehouses), and the waters above, aka "the Seas") Heaven.

David says something interesting in Psalm 136.

To Him who laid out the earth above the waters, For His mercy endures forever; - Psalm 136:6 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm136:6&version=NKJV

"Earth above the waters." :think:

I'll touch again on a point I made earlier, God is naming these things, and when the translators record a name, they capitalize the name. I think this was a bad idea, but because multiple things were named, we can derive some information from the naming, denoted by capitalization. First, these names are the names we use for those kind of things: "Earth", "Seas", "Heaven". These are not names for things that can't be seen.

If "Seas" refers to pools of waters under the crust, then how did we get to call pools of water above the crust "Seas"?

It doesn't. "Seas" are above the firmament called Heaven.

If "Heaven" is what God called the crust of the earth, how did we decide to call the stuff above the earth "Heaven"?

Because "Heaven" in Genesis 1 stopped being "Heaven" at the Fall. What we call "Heaven" today is not the same place called "Heaven" in Genesis 1.

One more thing: if the "Seas" are pools of water under the crust, and God pooled the waters under the crust to form dry land, which He called "Earth", then Earth, like the Seas, is not visible to us.

"Seas" are not pools of water under the crust, they're above the crust, the "firmament called Heaven."

This is based off the false premise that "Seas" are pools of water under the crust, and not under the atmosphere/sky/space.

----

Spoiler
Then God said, “Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.”

So we have water on the sphere of the earth, and God put a "raqia" in the midst of the waters, to divide the waters from the waters.

Spoiler
Thus God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament; and it was so.

The "raqia" divided the waters above from the waters below.

Spoiler
And God called the firmament Heaven. So the evening and the morning were the second day.

God called the "raqia" Heaven. End of the second day, but notice that this is the only time in the 6 days that the Bible does not say it was good. Why? Because God wasn't done yet with what he was doing.

You don't call something very good if you're not done with it.

Spoiler
Then God said, “Let the waters under the heavens be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear”; and it was so.

God made the dry land appear on the surface of the earth, forming large pools of water.

Spoiler
And God called the dry land Earth, and the gathering together of the waters He called Seas. And God saw that it was good.

Dry land "Earth," waters above the "raqia" but below the heavens "Seas."

Spoiler
Then God said, “Let the earth bring forth grass, the herb that yields seed, and the fruit tree that yields fruit according to its kind, whose seed is in itself, on the earth”; and it was so.
And the earth brought forth grass, the herb that yields seed according to its kind, and the tree that yields fruit, whose seed is in itself according to its kind. And God saw that it was good.
So the evening and the morning were the third day.

God created some (not all) of the vegetation.

Spoiler
Then God said, “Let there be lights in the firmament of the heavens to divide the day from the night; and let them be for signs and seasons, and for days and years;

God created the stars and set them in the "raqia" of the heavens.

Why would God say "raqia" 5 times without clarifying "of the heavens" and then the next 4 (raqia is used 9 times in Genesis 1) he does clarify "of the heavens"?

If you are talking about an automobile, and you use the word multiple times, you don't need to clarify "of the driving" unless you were talking about a different kind of automobile than one "of the driving" kind.

Same thing here: the first 5 times, God is talking about one firmament, the next 4 He's talking about another firmament, clarified by "of the heavens."

Spoiler
and let them be for lights in the firmament of the heavens to give light on the earth”; and it was so.

God set the stars in the heavens as if they were anchored there. In the oldest book of the Bible, Job, God is said to have "hung the earth on nothing." Yet how firmly it's set in its orbit. In the same way, the stars are firmly set in the firmament (raqia) of the heavens.

Heaven was on the firmament of the crust of the earth, and it was to last for eternity. You need a solid foundation for something to last that long.

Spoiler
Then God made two great lights: the greater light to rule the day, and the lesser light to rule the night. He made the stars also.
God set them in the firmament of the heavens to give light on the earth,

Again, God put the sun and the moon in the firmament of the heavens, and they won't move except in their proper orbits, the moon around the earth around the sun around the center of the galaxy.

And it's not necessary. Let's say that God did actually make pools of water below the crust (not the "firmament" in vs 7). Does He need to name it? No. Does He even need to tell us it is there? No. He didn't tell us what was below the waters, so there could easily be waters below the rock below the waters (and more layers of rock and water and rock and water below that).

Except that's not what the Bible says. See above.

So you're saying your model needs a rescue device?

Distinction between what? I was not making a distinction. And I don't see the passage as making a distinction. I can only see where Bob Enyart got his distinction by hearing his version of Walt's theory. (That doesn't make it wrong, but it makes me question whether one could really get this from reading the scripture--I don't think one can.)

See my breakdown of Genesis 1:6-17 above.

Walt's theory relies on the assumption that the waters of the great deep (from the Flood) are the same waters in Genesis 1:2, the "Deep," and in Genesis 1:6-7, the waters under the firmament.

Derf

No, "waters below" are subterranean. "Waters above" would be seas. You're still trying to fit some vapor canopy idea(s) into this. That, or you're trying to interpret the "firmament called Heaven" as the "firmament of the heavens."

The firmament called Heaven is terra firma.

The firmament of the heavens is space.
I know you and Stripe are trying to make this case, but you're not convincing me. And scripture doesn't support it. And Bob Enyart is wrong to promote it. "Heaven" is always used for something that is above the earth. even in the very first book of the bible, the very first verse, Gen 1:1, "heaven" is not "earth"--they are two separate things.

And I'm not making the case for a vapor canopy. But I'm willing to say the waters are above the firmament of heaven, and if "heaven" means the stuff up above our heads, which is pretty consistent with all the definitions I can think of, I'm certainly willing to consider ideas that are consistent with all of English-speaking peoples' idea of what "heaven" and "the heavens" means.

But I have a hard time with someone that says "heaven" means "earth".

He named the firmament in the midst of the waters (the waters below, aka "the Deep" (Genesis 1:2) (which David in Psalms refers to as being in storehouses), and the waters above, aka "the Seas") Heaven.

David says something interesting in Psalm 136.

To Him who laid out the earth above the waters, For His mercy endures forever; - Psalm 136:6 http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Psalm136:6&version=NKJV
Ah, "the deep". David has a few things to say about the deep:
[Psa 107:23 KJV] They that go down to the sea in ships, that do business in great waters;
[Psa 107:24 KJV] These see the works of the LORD, and his wonders in the deep.
[Psa 107:25 KJV] For he commandeth, and raiseth the stormy wind, which lifteth up the waves thereof.
[Psa 107:26 KJV] They mount up to the heaven, they go down again to the depths: their soul is melted because of trouble.

Notice how David says sailors can see the works of the Lord, his wonders in the deep? That they sail their ships on the deep? That the deep has waves? the waves actually mount up to heaven? And remember that this can't be the "heaven" that is the crust of the earth, because that no longer exists in your model. Are you saying the waters under the crust mount up to the sky, and that sailors can see into the waters under the crust? Amazing!

Job, too:
[Job 38:30 KJV] The waters are hid as [with] a stone, and the face of the deep is frozen.
[Job 41:31 KJV] [Leviathan] maketh the deep to boil like a pot: he maketh the sea like a pot of ointment.
[Job 41:32 KJV] He maketh a path to shine after him; [one] would think the deep [to be] hoary.

Are you really ready to say that the waters under the earth are frozen, that "the deep" and "the sea" refer to the same thing--waters under the crust--which are "hoary"-looking after the leviathan moves through it? Really...under the crust of the earth?

"Earth above the waters." :think:
I'd rather think about earth below the waters. The earth wouldn't stay dry very long. That was why the flood was so devastating: [Gen 7:20 KJV] Fifteen cubits upward did the waters prevail; and the mountains were covered. Even in your model, the Lord had to bring the land up, so that it wold not be under water. So why is "earth above the waters" so helpful to your case?

Because "Heaven" in Genesis 1 stopped being "Heaven" at the Fall. What we call "Heaven" today is not the same place called "Heaven" in Genesis 1.
But in YOUR narrative, "Heaven" stopped being "Heaven" in Gen 1:8, way before the fall, and immediately after it was named "Heaven".

"Seas" are not pools of water under the crust, they're above the crust, the "firmament called Heaven."
He's working with the waters UNDER THE FIRMAMENT called "Heaven" in vs 9, the firmament He made in vs 7, the one He named "Heaven" in Vs 8.

This is based off the false premise that "Seas" are pools of water under the crust, and not under the atmosphere/sky/space.
It was based off the premise that God wouldn't name something in one verse, and then use the name for something completely different in the very next verse. That leads to confusion, and God is not a god of confusion, but of order. When He names something, he doesn't immediately turn around and use that name for something completely different. C'mon JR, you're better than this.

----

Spoiler
Then God said, “Let there be a firmament in the midst of the waters, and let it divide the waters from the waters.”

So we have water on the sphere of the earth, and God put a "raqia" in the midst of the waters, to divide the waters from the waters.

Spoiler
Thus God made the firmament, and divided the waters which were under the firmament from the waters which were above the firmament; and it was so.

The "raqia" divided the waters above from the waters below.
Yep. But we don't know what that "raqia" is made of. Scripture doesn't tell us.

Spoiler
And God called the firmament Heaven. So the evening and the morning were the second day.

God called the "raqia" Heaven. End of the second day, but notice that this is the only time in the 6 days that the Bible does not say it was good. Why? Because God wasn't done yet with what he was doing.

You don't call something very good if you're not done with it.
Yes, you're exactly right. He wasn't done with it, and so He keeps working on it the next day, in the next verse. So the "heaven" in vs 8 is the same as the "heaven" in vs 9.

Spoiler
Then God said, “Let the waters under the heavens be gathered together into one place, and let the dry land appear”; and it was so.

God made the dry land appear on the surface of the earth, forming large pools of water.
Yes, under "heaven"--the firmament he made and worked on the previous day, when He didn't say "good". Not under the crust.

Why would God say "raqia" 5 times without clarifying "of the heavens" and then the next 4 (raqia is used 9 times in Genesis 1) he does clarify "of the heavens"?

If you are talking about an automobile, and you use the word multiple times, you don't need to clarify "of the driving" unless you were talking about a different kind of automobile than one "of the driving" kind.

Let's say Henry Ford designed and built an automobile. And in the early stages, he just called it "the automobile". As it was nearing completion, and he was ready to unveil it before the public, he figured he better name it. So he named it "Model A". From then on, whenever he referred to his product, he called it the "Model A automobile", so everybody would be sure he was talking about his only automobile. Then Ford went out of the automobile business, but he would often look back on his venture with pride, and talk of his "Model A" or his "automobile".

Now, some well-meaning TOL enthusiasts studied Ford's notes and the specifications of the Model A, and decided that Ford really built two automobiles, one called "Model A", and another called "Model A automobile". The description of the Model A's invention was very interesting, and showed quite obviously that the Model A was really the Model A automobile, but that didn't fit our TOL'ers' understanding of the production of the two vehicles Ford had built, so they propagated a story about how Ford's notes and specifications were really referring to two automobiles.

Same thing here: the first 5 times, God is talking about one firmament, the next 4 He's talking about another firmament, clarified by "of the heavens."
The first 4 times, He hadn't named it yet. He named it the fourth time. After He named it, He used its name, but also its description sometimes. Like "Model A automobile".

Walt's theory relies on the assumption that the waters of the great deep (from the Flood) are the same waters in Genesis 1:2, the "Deep," and in Genesis 1:6-7, the waters under the firmament.

Then Walt's theory is bankrupt, because the waters under the firmament are expressly the same as the waters under the heavens in Gen 1:9. Read it, don't just reply.