Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

Wile E. Coyote

It is clear that you simply do not understand the doctrine of Conditional Immortality and that is the reason you disagree with it.

If the doctrine was what you CLAIM it is, I wouldn't believe it either. Jesus said that the road is wide that leads to destruction and narrow that leads to life. I believe him. The only 2 options are destruction or eternal life. I'm sorry that you can't understand this.
You have already been disproven. Terms like "death" and "destruction" have qualitative reference in the scriptures. The prodigal son was said to be both "dead" and "destroyed" by his father. Yet he was NOT annihilated.

You give people an incentive to sin. They can say, "I may as well sin all I want because death is the end."

Death is NOT the end. The smoke of their torment rises up forever and ever. Where there is smoke there is fire. Therefore, the fire is forever and ever.

Last edited:

Timotheos

You have already been disproven. Terms like "death" and "destruction" have qualitative reference in the scriptures. The prodigal son was said to be both "dead" and "destroyed" by his father. Yet he was NOT annihilated.

You give people an incentive to sin. They can say, "I may as well sin all I want because death is the end."

Death is NOT the end. The smoke of their torment rises up forever and ever. Where there is smoke there is fire. Therefore, the fire is forever and ever.

So if death really doesn't mean death, if every word in the bible is redefined to mean the exact opposite of its meaning, only Then have I been proven wrong. You misrepresented my position. You could make an attempt to understand the doctrine rather than rely on straw man arguments. Your straw man has not proven me wrong. If you want to convince that people go to hell when they die for eternal torment, all you have to do is post the scripture that says that. Your side has been proven wrong by your inability to provide even one verse that agrees with your false doctrine. Doesn't it concern you that there isn't any scripture that you can show in support of your doctrine? And I've given dozens of scripture verses that say exactly what I'm saying. Just read John 3:16, why can't you accept what it plainly says?

Last edited:

Timotheos

Wile E Coyote said:
Terms like "death" and "destruction" have qualitative reference in the scriptures.
When you start to question the meaning of the words death and destruction, you are getting off track. In the first place, the Bible never says "death doesn't really mean death, no death is actually eternal life in hell being tortured." Do you really believe the Bible if you need to redefine the words in it first?

An atheist could use your argument. He could say "The term 'God' when used in the scriptures is a qualitative reference, so I believe in God." He doesn't really believe in God, but through the process you use of redefining the words in the Bible, he can have it both ways.

But why stop at redefining "God", "death" and "destruction"? Why don't you redefine all of the words in the Bible to mean whatever you need them to mean? If I'm redefining "death", why not redefine it as "an ice cream cone"? That way, Romans 6:23 is saying that the wages of sin is an ice cream cone. Isn't that nice? I'll use your process and redefine all of the words in the Bible, so that it will be a nice story about a boy and his dog.

Somebody quoted Humpty Dumpty before. It was spot on. To you, words mean what you want them to mean. If the wages of sin is death is inconvenient to your doctrine, change the meaning of death so it fits. Paint the roses red. "Off with their heads" really means "tea and crumpets for everyone". Lalaladedah. I believe the Bible, just don't insist that words have meaning, that's so old fashioned.

"Is" has a qualitative reference when Bill Clinton used it. It all depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is. Please do not Clintonize the Bible. If you are right, and the words in the Bible do not have any meaning or they mean anything and everything, then there is no reason to read the Bible at all.

Last edited:

Iakabos

When you start to question the meaning of the words death and destruction, you are getting off track. In the first place, the Bible never says "death doesn't really mean death, no death is actually eternal life in hell being tortured." Do you really believe the Bible if you need to redefine the words in it first?

An atheist could use your argument. He could say "The term 'God' when used in the scriptures is a qualitative reference, so I believe in God." He doesn't really believe in God, but through the process you use of redefining the words in the Bible, he can have it both ways.

But why stop at redefining "God", "death" and "destruction"? Why don't you redefine all of the words in the Bible to mean whatever you need them to mean? If I'm redefining "death", why not redefine it as "an ice cream cone"? That way, Romans 6:23 is saying that the wages of sin is an ice cream cone. Isn't that nice? I'll use your process and redefine all of the words in the Bible, so that it will be a nice story about a boy and his dog.

Somebody quoted Humpty Dumpty before. It was spot on. To you, words mean what you want them to mean. If the wages of sin is death is inconvenient to your doctrine, change the meaning of death so it fits. Paint the roses red. "Off with their heads" really means "tea and crumpets for everyone". Lalaladedah. I believe the Bible, just don't insist that words have meaning, that's so old fashioned.

"Is" has a qualitative reference when Bill Clinton used it. It all depends on what the meaning of the word "is" is. Please do not Clintonize the Bible. If you are right, and the words in the Bible do not have any meaning or they mean anything and everything, then there is no reason to read the Bible at all.

Wages of sin is an ice cream cone haha you lift spirits!

Krsto

I'm assuming you're talking about a non-believer here for a believer in Christ who had been born from above tries not to sin because he loves God and wants to be conformed to the image of Christ, and then hopefully he won't be trying in his own strength but giving himself over to God every day getting his power to overcome sin.

A non-believer may think he can sin as much as he wants but why would he base that on a believer's view of the afterlife? He would have his own reasons quite apart from our theology of the afterlife. I know many atheists who work harder at not sinning than a lot of Christians simply because they just want to be decent people.

Timotheos

I'm assuming you're talking about a non-believer here for a believer in Christ who had been born from above tries not to sin because he loves God and wants to be conformed to the image of Christ, and then hopefully he won't be trying in his own strength but giving himself over to God every day getting his power to overcome sin.

A non-believer may think he can sin as much as he wants but why would he base that on a believer's view of the afterlife? He would have his own reasons quite apart from our theology of the afterlife. I know many atheists who work harder at not sinning than a lot of Christians simply because they just want to be decent people.
Thanks for addressing that, I missed that little gem. Wile E Coyote may as well argue that he can jump off all the cliffs or have an Acme Anvil fall on his head because the only bad thing that will happen is that he will die. It isn't a very good argument, because DEATH is not a good thing. But these people who are committed to the false unbiblical and illogical doctrine of Eternal Torture use this bad argument all the time. Besides, they ask "Can I sin all I want and still go to heaven?" Just how much do they want to sin? Sin is NOT GOOD. What kind of Christian asks "How much can I sin and get away with?" A Carnal Christian, I guess. The question I ask is "What can I do to eliminate this cruddy sin from my life?"

Krsto

Thanks for addressing that, I missed that little gem. Wile E Coyote may as well argue that he can jump off all the cliffs or have an Acme Anvil fall on his head because the only bad thing that will happen is that he will die. It isn't a very good argument, because DEATH is not a good thing. But these people who are committed to the false unbiblical and illogical doctrine of Eternal Torture use this bad argument all the time. Besides, they ask "Can I sin all I want and still go to heaven?" Just how much do they want to sin? Sin is NOT GOOD. What kind of Christian asks "How much can I sin and get away with?" A Carnal Christian, I guess. The question I ask is "What can I do to eliminate this cruddy sin from my life?"

I would think a person who asks, "How much can I sin and still go to heaven?" probably isn't a Christian to begin with and it wouldn't matter how much or how little he sins. The end will be the same either way.

Timotheos

I would think a person who asks, "How much can I sin and still go to heaven?" probably isn't a Christian to begin with and it wouldn't matter how much or how little he sins. The end will be the same either way.

So what about a person who only doesn't sin because they are afraid of going to hell if they do. I think their end will be the same either way too. Fear of Hell is not a virtue. If I only obey God because I think God will punish me if I don't, then I might as well not obey Him at all. God isn't stupid. Am I a peaceful man if I only hit people who are smaller than me?

Krsto

Timotheos, Wile E., grulz, et al, the problem with this doctrine, like most any doctrine, is that it is impossible to "prove" either side. The only way to prove a doctrine is if there are no other possible interpretations for those "proof texts." Those of us on our side of the fence need to recognize that it is indeed possible that someone can be both dead and destroyed while still alive and those on the other side of the fence need to recognize that it is at least possible that eternal destruction can be a destruction with an eternal result (just as with the term "eternal salvation" being salvation with an eternal result) and not a process of destruction that is eternal for that soul.

One thing I think we can say, and I think an honest proponent of the other side would admit, that the terms used by them are not taken in their most normal understanding, as can be seen by the Humpty Dumpty piece. In other words, if we are going to just look at all of the uses of those terms they at face value support our side. This, I hope, would cause them to ask why they must insist that they be taken they way they do. Then I would hope they also look at the two strongest scriptures they use, the Parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man, and the ones in Revelation about the smoke of their torment rising, and realize their interpretation is not the only valid or logical one, that it's at least possible that the smoke is forever because the fire is forever and the "fuel supply" (people dying and going to hell) is forever, but those being tossed in aren't necessarily burning forever. Whether they agree with that interpretation is one thing, but hopefully they can at least recognize another valid interpretation. I'm not sure everybody here is willing to do that.

Which brings me to the point of this post. Why are they not even willing to recognize other interpretations? And if they do recognize them as valid WHY IN GOD'S HOLY NAME DO THEY STILL INTERPRET the scriptures in such a way that makes God out to be a monster? Why wouldn't this in and of itself cause them to say to themselves, "Ya know, ECT isn't mandated by scriptures, in fact, if we just use the terms normally as the Humpty Dumpty piece lays them out, we wouldn't come to that position, so why have I? Why would I use something out of a highly symbolic book like Revelation that nobody can agree on as to what it really means, and perhaps the story of Lazarus is there to each us that we only have one life to respond to God's word and the details were there only to make a story, much like any parable, and weren't put there to teach us about what it's like in hell.

Doesn't the whole idea of a loving and just God cause people to find a way to reject a doctrine that makes God out to be not only unjust but cruel beyond measure?

I guess not, for they continue to defend this doctrine even though they can't really "prove" it, for the reasons I spelled out in the beginning of this post.

ECT proponents (and opponents), are you really here to grow in grace and truth or are you here to just play "gotcha" with the scriptures?

Timotheos

Timotheos, Wile E., grulz, et al, the problem with this doctrine, like most any doctrine, is that it is impossible to "prove" either side. The only way to prove a doctrine is if there are no other possible interpretations for those "proof texts." Those of us on our side of the fence need to recognize that it is indeed possible that someone can be both dead and destroyed...
So do we just not discuss this, and allow God to be painted as the ECTist paint Him? I would hope that we could discuss this calmly with the other side, but it doesn't seem possible.
(And I don't quite agree that it is possible to be both "dead and destroyed" and "alive and undestroyed" at the same time.)

Aimiel

I simply don't see in Scripture any proof that the fate of men cast into the Lake of Fire might be any different than the other created beings cast there (demons) who are tormented for ever and ever. Both are created beings. Both are cast alive into the Lake of Fire. Both (I believe Scripture clearly shows) shall be tormented for ever and ever by the flames. I have yet to see anything in Scripture which proves otherwise. Jesus didn't give us the parable of Lazarus to make us think that a fictitious torture awaits sinners. He doesn't mince words or play games. He said we'd be better off cutting off a limb than going into hell whole. I take Him very seriously when He is that serious about something. He wasn't using satire. He was serious. Hell is real, whether it fits into our understanding or 'image' of God or not.

Timotheos

I simply don't see in Scripture any proof that the fate of men cast into the Lake of Fire might be any different than the other created beings cast there (demons) who are tormented for ever and ever. Both are created beings. Both are cast alive into the Lake of Fire. Both (I believe Scripture clearly shows) shall be tormented for ever and ever by the flames. I have yet to see anything in Scripture which proves otherwise. Jesus didn't give us the parable of Lazarus to make us think that a fictitious torture awaits sinners. He doesn't mince words or play games. He said we'd be better off cutting off a limb than going into hell whole. I take Him very seriously when He is that serious about something. He wasn't using satire. He was serious. Hell is real, whether it fits into our understanding or 'image' of God or not.
He also said that we should fear the one who can destroy both body and soul in Hell. I just don't see the evidence that body and soul won't be destroyed in Hell. I see what you are saying, in parables and symbolism. But in the clear passages of scripture, it says over and over that sinners will be destroyed, burnt up, they will perish, they will be as ash, they will be no more, and on and on. Why should I ignore so much scripture just to hang on to two passages that may or may not mean what you say they mean? Body and Soul are destroyed in hell, whether that fits into our theology of Hell or not. If Body and Soul are destroyed in Hell, then they are not kept undestroyed forever in torment in Hell. The arguments for Eternal Torment are very weak in comparison to the arguments for Eternal Destruction.

Aimiel

There are far more than just two Scriptures which point to everlasting torment. As I said: I see no reason to think that men might suffer a different fate in the Lake of Fire from what demons are sentenced to, which is clearly eternal conscious torment. Being destroyed by the flames in the Lake of Fire doesn't mean 'poofed' out of existence as a temporal view of death might suggest. Those who are destroyed in the Lake of Fire will suffer eternal destruction. They will have no effect upon anything or anyone, ever. They will only suffer constant destruction. That isn't life. Life is growth. Life is interfacing with others. Life is making something, doing something or effecting things. Those who are only ever tormented in flames are not alive, per se, but suffer the pains of destruction of their body and soul for ever and ever. They will be in outer darkness, gnashing their teeth, being eaten by worms and tormented in flames. That is the 'second death' and is far worse than non-existence, which would be worse than never having been born.

Mark 14:21
The Son of man indeed goeth, as it is written of him: but woe to that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! good were it for that man if he had never been born.

To no longer exist would be the same as never having been born (for the one who betrayed Jesus) and could not be the fate of this man, or it wouldn't be possible to say that it would be good for him if he had never been born.

Timotheos

And here is the type of response I get for believing that the wages of sin is death, just as the Bible says:
OH Boy!!! - Here we go again with everything except the Truth of the Scriptures!!
I would accept that if I had said "the wages of sin is not death, anything but death", but why on earth is believing what the scriptures say called "NOT believing what the scriptures say"?

Why should I be demonized for believing the Bible?

Timotheos

There are far more than just two Scriptures which point to everlasting torment. As I said: I see no reason to think that men might suffer a different fate in the Lake of Fire from what demons are sentenced to, which is clearly eternal conscious torment. Being destroyed by the flames in the Lake of Fire doesn't mean 'poofed' out of existence as a temporal view of death might suggest. Those who are destroyed in the Lake of Fire will suffer eternal destruction. They will have no effect upon anything or anyone, ever. They will only suffer constant destruction. That isn't life. Life is growth. Life is interfacing with others. Life is making something, doing something or effecting things. Those who are only ever tormented in flames are not alive, per se, but suffer the pains of destruction of their body and soul for ever and ever. They will be in outer darkness, gnashing their teeth, being eaten by worms and tormented in flames. That is the 'second death' and is far worse than non-existence, which would be worse than never having been born.

Mark 14:21
The Son of man indeed goeth, as it is written of him: but woe to that man by whom the Son of man is betrayed! good were it for that man if he had never been born.

To no longer exist would be the same as never having been born (for the one who betrayed Jesus) and could not be the fate of this man, or it wouldn't be possible to say that it would be good for him if he had never been born.

Okay, believe what you want to believe. Just don't give me a hard time for believing that the second death really is death, the wages of sin really is death, destruction really means destruction, perish means perish, eternal life means eternal life and those who do not have eternal life are not conscious eternally. Okay?

Wile E. Coyote

So if death really doesn't mean death, if every word in the bible is redefined to mean the exact opposite of its meaning, only Then have I been proven wrong.
You cannot define a word with the word itself. The statement "death means death" is meaningless. If I said to you, "snork means snork," it would mean nothing. But if I said, "snork is a mammal," I am telling you a little something about snork.

The word "death" in scripture has to do with the severance of relationships. We are "dead" to sin. This means that our relationship to sin has been severed. "The wages of sin is death," that is, seperation from God. The prodigal son was "dead" because his relationship with his father had been severed.

You have no case Bub! The heavens and earth in Noah's day were "destroyed." Yet they are still here. Therefore, death and destruction does NOT mean annihilation.

"The smoke of their torment rises up forever and ever." This means that the fire is forever and ever. When a fire is put out the smoke ceases to ascend shortly thereafter. Duh!

Wile E. Coyote

If death is the end as Timotheus erroneously thinks, then there is nothing for the wicked to fear. Paul said, "Knowing the TERROR of the Lord we persuade men." But if death is the end, then there is no terror.

Timotheus neg repped me and said in his comment that being destroyed is not an incentive to sin. But once I gave the gospel to a relative of mine and he replied saying, "Death is the end so I am going to live it up."

Timotheus is living in his own little make believe world.

Timotheos

Death means the condition of not being alive. Death does not mean "the severance of relationships. The prodigal son was not dead. The heavens and the earth were not destroyed in Noah's day. The people who were not on the Ark were destroyed. They are not still here. They died in the flood. The flood did not sever their relationship. The flood drowned them. Yes, the Apocalypse of John says that the smoke of their torment rises forever. That is not saying their torment lasts forever. You have no case. The Bible says that the wages of sin is death. And I will assume for your sake that you said "Duh!" because you can't think of anything else to say. Otherwise that would be offensive. I don't call you stupid by saying "Duh!" do I? I hate that.

According to the Bible, the penalty for sin is death. The Bible says this in Romans 6:23, you can't deny it. "For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." Those who believe in him will not perish but will have eternal life, John 3:16. This means that those who do not believe in him will perish and will not have eternal life.

Do not EVER say "Duh!" to me again. When you say "Duh!" you are saying that I am too stupid to see what is obvious to everyone else. If you really think I am that stupid, say that I am that stupid so that I can report you.

Timotheos

If death is the end as Timotheus erroneously thinks, then there is nothing for the wicked to fear. Paul said, "Knowing the TERROR of the Lord we persuade men." But if death is the end, then there is no terror.

Timotheus neg repped me and said in his comment that being destroyed is not an incentive to sin. But once I gave the gospel to a relative of mine and he replied saying, "Death is the end so I am going to live it up."

Timotheus is living in his own little make believe world.

So you falsely believe that DEATH is nothing to fear. Okay, I call your bluff. Go off and die, since death is nothing to fear. Sane people fear death, because death kills them.

Being destroyed is absolutely not the same thing as no punishment at all, as you falsely believe. Your relative is going to live it up and then die? And you don't think that dieing is a bad thing? You are the one who is living in a make believe world where death doesn't kill a person and dead people live forever while they are dead. That's a make believe world. I'm not surprised that you don't know the difference.

Timotheos

John 3:16 says For God so loved the world that he gave his only begotten son that whoever believes in him will not perish but will have eternal life. This means that whoever does not believe in him will perish, even if you don't believe it. Whoever doesn't believe in him will not have eternal life. They will not be conscious forever in hell being tormented alive forever while they are dead.

If you really believe that the Bible says that people will go to Hell when they die where they will be tormented alive forever while they are dead, SIMPLY post the verse from the Bible that says this. If you can't post it, it is because such a verse does not exist. No excuses, you've been harsh with me, so either post the verse or go away.