Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

Timotheos

Not so fast Evil.Eye, Jesus was not God. Jesus was a Jew, born as a Jew, and died as a Jew. God was neither born nor has ever died. For a Jew to claim to be God, he is either a mental case or be claimed by another, especially a Christian.

Hi Ben,
I am a Christ-ian. I believe that Jesus is fully God. If you want to have a discussion intending to convert all Christians to Judaism, please start your own thread for that. Don't do it here.

Rosenritter

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by freelight

God is Love
are you sure?

1 John 4:14-21 KJV
(14) And we have seen and do testify that the Father sent the Son to be the Saviour of the world.
(15) Whosoever shall confess that Jesus is the Son of God, God dwelleth in him, and he in God.
(16) And we have known and believed the love that God hath to us. God is love; and he that dwelleth in love dwelleth in God, and God in him.
(17) Herein is our love made perfect, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment: because as he is, so are we in this world.
(18) There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear: because fear hath torment. He that feareth is not made perfect in love.
(19) We love him, because he first loved us.
(20) If a man say, I love God, and hateth his brother, he is a liar: for he that loveth not his brother whom he hath seen, how can he love God whom he hath not seen?
(21) And this commandment have we from him, That he who loveth God love his brother also.

Pretty sure.

Rosenritter

glad you are pretty sure -
I was just having a little fun with freelight who is still investigating what is truth so anytime I see him say something definite I want to make sure he is sure
Thanks for specifying what you meant. Glad to hear you aren't Jonathan Edwards.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
are you sure?

Do you believe John was inspired by the Holy Spirit when he penned his passages on 'God' and 'love' in the writings ascribed to John? In my own conscience and human experience, I'm pretty sure of God working in our hearts by love by the Spirit. Do you interpret John differently, and is your own experience of 'love' apart from 'God'?

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
I'm pretty sure of that but freelight isn't

Just what are you 'sure' of about 'God'? How much is taken by 'faith', 'assumption', 'preference' or speculation? As far as the subject here I've given ample commentary and my own perspectives/insights concerning the matter in this and the other thread on the subject. I'm quite fine assuming an 'agnostic' position accepting that some things may not be 'knowable' or currently are not 'knowable' to me. On the other hand I pursue a more 'gnostic' approach to religion and spirituality, meaning I accept personal religious experience as a genuine 'knowledge' about 'God' since I experience such subjectively or spiritually.... as Paul speaks about, "to be spiritually minded is life and peace", "spiritual things must be spiritually discerned", "the Spirit bears witness with our spirit that we are the children of God", etc.

There is both the 'unknowable' and 'knowable' in our experience in space-time relativity. It just so happens that in this duality of 'light' and 'darkness', all is multi-dimensional.

Ben Masada

Hi Ben,
I am a Christ-ian. I believe that Jesus is fully God. If you want to have a discussion intending to convert all Christians to Judaism, please start your own thread for that. Don't do it here.

Judaism is different from other religions. Conversion to Judaism does not start with the Jew but with the potential convert. For instance, a Christian who expresses the desire to join God's Covenant with His People Israel, he or she must seek the proper Jewish authority in charge of conversions. It is called the Bet Din.

Ben Masada

Ben, you are attempting to insert this into the wrong forum. Can you honestly persuade me that what you are saying influences the resolution of "Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical" one way or the other?

The answer to your question is double. First, there is nothing eternal about man and second, NO, that doctrine is no way Biblical.

Evil Eye entered this forum and he can choose to enter others. On this topic he said that he believed Jesus was God. I didn't have to twist his arm or "deceive" him into believing this. The reason it's such a widespread belief is because it's said so many different ways throughout the whole scripture, even starting in Genesis and Chronicles, permeating book after book all throughout Moses and the prophets, the psalms, gospels, epistles, and Revelation.

Jesus was not God and you are welcome to quote any thing you want throughout the Tanach. If anywhere says that Jesus was God, I'll become a Christian just as you are. Do we have a deal?

John 5:39 KJV Search the scriptures; for in them ye think ye have eternal life: and they are they which testify of me.

All right, go ahead and search the Scriptures that Jesus always referred to as the Word of God aka the Tanach. If you find any thing about Jesus as a fact in the Tanach, I'll be a Christian.

If you know me then you also know that I am not one to merely support a doctrine because it is "popular" or "traditional." I am concerned first and foremost with what the scripture says.If you wish to persuade me, show me from scripture. Prove it to me. You can send private message or use my personal email, or invite me to a thread of your own making.But this is not the right location for that discussion.

Here is my private email benhur007@rocketmail.com Be my guest and start any time you want.

marke

I think that it would be more appropriate to say that Jesus is God only by faith which requires no understanding.

I do not think we should say faith requires no understanding. The faith of Abraham which saves all believers is solidly built upon Biblical understanding.

Ben Masada

I do not think we should say faith requires no understanding. The faith of Abraham which saves all believers is solidly built upon Biblical understanding.

There is an enormous difference between faith and trust. The failure of faith constitutes a liability of the one who claims to have faith. The failure of trust is not upon the one who trusts but the one who is trusted. Abraham trusted that HaShem would not fail in His promise of a land of milk and honey to him and his descendants through Isaac and Jacob. It was not faith because faith without the workings of the Law would be akin to a body without the breath of life. (James 2:26)

marke

There is an enormous difference between faith and trust. The failure of faith constitutes a liability of the one who claims to have faith. The failure of trust is not upon the one who trusts but the one who is trusted. Abraham trusted that HaShem would not fail in His promise of a land of milk and honey to him and his descendants through Isaac and Jacob. It was not faith because faith without the workings of the Law would be akin to a body without the breath of life. (James 2:26)

Too much theology and not enough simple faith and trust in the infallible inerrant inspired Word of God.

way 2 go

The majority of Christianity believe in an eternal Hell of torture. How could all of those people be wrong?

they are not.

Luk 16:24-31
Jesus tells the Pharisees about Abraham, Lazarus
and the rich man and Jesus reveals
already known truths such as
consciousness of the departed,
fire for the unrepentant to stand in,
a protected place with Abraham right next to the unpleasant place,
and he caps it off with
the place of torment is historical
made known to people by
Moses and the Prophets
and if you do not believe them
you will not believe one rising from the dead.

do you believe Jesus ?

Rosenritter

they are not.

Luk 16:24-31
Jesus tells the Pharisees about Abraham, Lazarus
and the rich man and Jesus reveals
already known truths such as
consciousness of the departed,
fire for the unrepentant to stand in,
a protected place with Abraham right next to the unpleasant place,
and he caps it off with
the place of torment is historical
made known to people by
Moses and the Prophets
and if you do not believe them
you will not believe one rising from the dead.

do you believe Jesus ?

Way 2 Go, you have a reputation for being hard headed but you have stepped into the realm of fabrication now. "Already known truths?" The law and the prophets call you a liar. Your "already known truths" are the stuff of pagan mythology, not previous scripture.

Jesus used the figure of a Gentile hell as the story element, which does not overrule dozens of clear passages that state the dead are plainly dead and beyond consciousness.

But you have been told a dozen times and you always refuse to answer in anything resembling an intelligent fashion. I am not sure why you continue, but you always do.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Way 2 Go, you have a reputation for being hard headed but you have stepped into the realm of fabrication now. "Already known truths?" The law and the prophets call you a liar. Your "already known truths" are the stuff of pagan mythology, not previous scripture.

Jesus used the figure of a Gentile hell as the story element, which does not overrule dozens of clear passages that state the dead are plainly dead and beyond consciousness.

But you have been told a dozen times and you always refuse to answer in anything resembling an intelligent fashion. I am not sure why you continue, but you always do.

People are only dead until their raising from the dead.

Dan 12:2 And many of them that sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt.

LA