Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

God's Truth

Exactly, and this is where Christians need to listen to Jews so we know how things were interpreted in the first century. That way we are not doing exegesis in a vacuum, as most of us tend to do.

I can hardly believe that you say we should listen to cut off Jews who did not recognize the Messiah.

God's Truth

They are dead. Dead bodies don't rest. They don't get up feeling refreshed from their nap.
Jesus says the dead are asleep. Sounds like rest to me.

Acts 7:60
Then he fell on his knees and cried out, "Lord, do not hold this sin against them." When he had said this, he fell asleep.

rstrats

God's Truth,

re: "You are wrong."

That of course is possible. I've only checked 20 different translations so I suppose there could be others that add that phrase.

Timotheos

So...

After all of that, has anyone shown that the doctrine of eternal conscious torment in hell has biblical support or is it safe to say that the wages of sin really is death instead of eternal conscious torment in hell.

I haven't seen any verse quoted that says "The wicked will go to hell when they die where they will be tormented alive forever while they are dead".

:cheers:

Timotheos

Boy I am so tired of seeing this same DUMB question asked over and over again.

I haven't seen it in a while so I bumped up the thread.

As for me, I am tired of see the same old dumb doctrines promoted as truth with no scriptural evidence whatsoever. But, my Dear Christian Brother in Christ, if you don't want to see the question, you could always look at a different thread.

Cheers Bro!

God's Truth

So...

After all of that, has anyone shown that the doctrine of eternal conscious torment in hell has biblical support or is it safe to say that the wages of sin really is death instead of eternal conscious torment in hell.

I haven't seen any verse quoted that says "The wicked will go to hell when they die where they will be tormented alive forever while they are dead".

Parables are stories, they are not lies.

Jesus tells us about the rich man who went to hell and was tortured.

Timotheos

Parables are stories, they are not lies.

Jesus tells us about the rich man who went to hell and was tortured.

I don't think that the parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man was a lie. It is also not about the final punishment of the wicked, because the parable was not set in the end times. The most that you could say if you insist on constant literal-ism is that there is a fire in Hades for an unknown period of time during the intermediate state.

Jesus said that we should fear the one who is able to destroy both body and soul in hell (Gehenna). Was Jesus lying or telling God's Truth?

Timotheos

of course they have timmy - lots of people

the fact that you even ask this question just goes to prove that you're a retard :idunno:

Okay Genius, Show me the post that quotes the Bible verse that says that the lost go to hell when they die where they are tormented alive forever while they are dead.

God's Truth

I don't think that the parable of Lazarus and the Rich Man was a lie. It is also not about the final punishment of the wicked, because the parable was not set in the end times. The most that you could say if you insist on constant literal-ism is that there is a fire in Hades for an unknown period of time during the intermediate state.

Jesus said that we should fear the one who is able to destroy both body and soul in hell (Gehenna). Was Jesus lying or telling God's Truth?

God is able to put an end to the spirits of men, but does not.

After we are ALL raised from the dead with imperishable bodies that can no longer die---how are those not saved going to die in the lake of fire.

Timotheos

God is able to put an end to the spirits of men, but does not.

After we are ALL raised from the dead with imperishable bodies that can no longer die---how are those not saved going to die in the lake of fire.

The Bible doesn't say that the wicked will be raised with imperishable bodies. The verse you are referring to means that those who are in Christ will be raised imperishable. The Bible specifically says that the wicked will perish, in Psalm 37:20, among other places. How could they perish if they are also imperishable?

I think that you believe what you want to believe.

I am Larry

Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment (ECT) biblical or not?

Which verses in the Bible support ECT and which verses in the bible support the doctrine that the wicked perish instead?

The old testament Hebrews did not believe in heaven and hell. Those were beliefs added during the Babylonian captivity by influence of Zoroasterism. The Hebrews believed that death is extinction. Hell was created by the early church to scare people into joining. The heaven they devised was the reward for becoming a Christian, i.e., supporting the church. The point was that only the church could give you heaven but if you did not behave, i.e., supporting the church, you would go to hell. They told us that we were doomed and then they offered the only salvation, if we supported them.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
The old testament Hebrews did not believe in heaven and hell.

no? Where do you think David will be meeting his dead child again?

2 Samuel 12:23 "But now he has died; why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me."

God's Truth

The Bible doesn't say that the wicked will be raised with imperishable bodies. The verse you are referring to means that those who are in Christ will be raised imperishable. The Bible specifically says that the wicked will perish, in Psalm 37:20, among other places. How could they perish if they are also imperishable?
What is raised is not imperishable. That is what the scriptures say.
I think that you believe what you want to believe.
You think wrong.

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
no? Where do you think David will be meeting his dead child again?

2 Samuel 12:23 "But now he has died; why should I fast? Can I bring him back again? I will go to him, but he will not return to me."

There is nothing said about David meeting his son.

Rather it is that David would go to the grave where his son is.

LA