Is the doctrine of Eternal Conscious Torment biblical or not?

Lazy afternoon

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
By implication, you are suggesting that God would be a sadist if the lake of fire involves conscious torment. This is a JW argument (yes, you are not a JW, but you are both wrong in this thinking).

As it happens God is not a sadist and there is no conscious suffering in hellfire for eternity for anything evil or for evil doers.

Those who insist on it are the sadists.

LA

Timotheos

By implication, you are suggesting that God would be a sadist if the lake of fire involves conscious torment. This is a JW argument (yes, you are not a JW, but you are both wrong in this thinking).

No I am not suggesting that. God gets to do whatever He wants because He is God. Whatever God does is good. But the Bible does not say that God invented a place of torture where dead people go to be be tortured alive forever while they are dead.

This is insane. People argue about everything on the internet.

According to the BIBLE, The wages of sin is death but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord. But if YOU WANT to believe instead that the wages of sin is to be tormented alive in Hell forever and ever and gift of God is to be chosen as one of the few who will not be tortured, go ahead and believe that.

Romans 6:23 believe it or not, I don't care anymore.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
Timmy tells a fib:
...(resurrected) said that he likes to watch people burn.

res catches Timmy and whacks him on the nose with a rolled up newspaper:
No Timmy :nono:

That's a lie

Bad Timmy.

Timmy whimpers "but you said something I don't like so it's OK that I lied":
This is the internet sicko.
I can post the link where you said it:

res: I'll enjoy watching you burn Rusha

Enjoying watching someone burn alive is bad, sicko.

Bad Timmy!

No more lying!

Jordan Fontenot

I believe that death is the punishment for sin (For the wages of sin is death), and I believe that punishment by death is eternal. It lasts forever.

There are two groups in Matthew 25:46, one group gets eternal life, the other group does not get eternal life. The ECTists are claiming that BOTH groups get eternal life. One in heaven and the other in hell being tormented alive forever. IF they are correct, then Matthew 25:46 is wrong, since both groups have eternal life.

Most people wouldn't change the context of a word in mid sentence. If we were talking about death the word nekros would have been used, but instead the word kolosin is used

Timotheos

Timmy tells a fib:

res catches Timmy and whacks him on the nose with a rolled up newspaper:

Timmy whimpers "but you said something I don't like so it's OK that I lied":

Bad Timmy!

No more lying!

I proved that I wasn't lying. You said "I''ll enjoy watching you burn, Rusha". I posted the link to your post saying that.
You will enjoy watching Rusha burn. This means you enjoy watching people burn just as I said.
Stop trying to weasel your way out of this.

I'll enjoy watching you burn Rusha

Bad Sicko! Bad!

Last edited:

godrulz

Hall of Fame
Physical, spiritual, eternal/Second death relates to separation in various ways, not cessation.

Root problem with Tim's view.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
Timmy demonstrates the depth of his retardation:
You will enjoy watching Rusha burn. This means you enjoy watching people burn just as I said.

No Timmy.

They don't mean the same thing.

One of them is set in the future.

One is set in the present.

It's no wonder you're so confused about scripture when you can't understand the concept of simple verb tense.

Timotheos

Timmy demonstrates the depth of his retardation:

No Timmy.

They don't mean the same thing.

One of them is set in the future.

One is set in the present.

It's no wonder you're so confused about scripture when you can't understand the concept of simple verb tense.
Oh, I see now. Thank you. So are you saying that you WILL be a sadist who enjoys watching others burn in the future, but you are not currently a sadist who enjoys watching others burn?
I'll enjoy watching you burn Rusha

Are you looking forward to a time when you will enjoy watching Rusha burn? When did you first suspect that you would enjoy watching a person burn? Are there other people that you will enjoy seeing burn? Do you think that you will enjoy all misery or is it something about the fire that you will enjoy? Is it the charring flesh that pleases you the most, or is it something else? The screaming sobs, perhaps? Have you seen a doctor about your sick fantasies?

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
back to schools of thought......

back to schools of thought......

~*~*~

As we noted earlier,...the word 'death' can be variously 'defined' or 'interpreted'. A soul may 'die' also to varying degrees, and who could say when 'death' is fully consummated, as in a total disintegration or destruction of that soul, COMPLETELY? This of course means that soul is totally dissolved, expunged, voided out as it had never existed. These are among the speculations as what death might mean, besides the varying stages of 'death' a soul might experience in its journey of life, since one can mind the things of the flesh or the Spirit and reap the fruit thereof proportionately at any point in time,...so beyond suppositions, its all pretty 'relative'.

A 'soul-death' view holds that souls that finally choose death and totally reject 'God' altogether reap the final consummation of 'death' in its utter finality as the cessation of life. This cessation of life includes the cancelling of consciousness, the disintegration of that individual soul as a living entity. That soul is 'no more', dissolved back into the primal elements, and only a memory...its personality-potential and activity as that 'person' is expunged from which there is no resurrection. I think that's pretty clear, even though some debate that this is not expressly taught in the scriptures. (The fact is a lot of things regards the metaphysics/ontology of the soul are not fully 'explained' in the so called 'scriptures').

If the total embrace of iniquity and rejection of 'God' entails such annihilation into 'nothingness', then such a wiping out of existence would seem fair, since the consequence of choosing such iniquity in full, is obliteration, destruction, oblivion.

But for a 'god' to keep souls in a state of eternal torment/pain/punishment.... with no hope of relief, remedy or repentance is insane as we've stated many times previously, which would appear 'obvious' to most reasonable folks. Love would keep wooing souls back to itself, for as long as souls have the ability to return to 'God',....Love would ever hold itself open to them. We are brought to 2 possible conclusions for the totally wicked who utterly reject Life.

1) total death (disintegration) of these souls, which is the cessation of their conscious individual existence. This is only when iniquity has reached its zenith and the ultimate consequence of its embrace has been fully earned, resulted in termination of life.

2) a 'death-state' which is an eternal separation from 'God' where the punishment, pain and torment of being somehow 'seperated' is eternally sustained, to no end. Here the souls are kept in a 'stasis' of perpetual torment, misery and degeneration....for all eternity,.....and as we said,...to no end, because these souls are somehow kept 'separated' from God forever.

Covered earlier - ECT fails in glorifying 'God'

There are other views among Spiritualist and Universalist schools that offer other possibilities on the issue of soul-progress and destiny as well, that do not accept the above conclusions.

pj

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
do you understand that you are a child when it comes to understanding scripture?

Psalm 37:13 but the Lord laughs at the wicked, for he knows their day is coming.

Psalm 58:10 The righteous shall rejoice when he seeth the vengeance: he shall wash his feet in the blood of the wicked.

2 Thessalonians 1:7 And to you who are troubled rest with us, when the Lord Jesus shall be revealed from heaven with his mighty angels,

8 In flaming fire taking vengeance on them that know not God, and that obey not the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ:

9 Who shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord, and from the glory of his power;

Last edited: