ECT Is "Original sin" Seen by Others as Intrinsic Potential or latent in Creation as Evil

Jerry Shugart

I still want to know from you more about this "spiritual life" that you speak of.

OK, please consider what the Lord Jesus said here:

"That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit" (Jn.3:6).​

So when a person is born of the spirit he has spiritual life.

Do you agree with that?

In the following verse the Apostle Paul describes how he was saved by being made alive by the spirit:

"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Spirit"
(Titus 3:5).​

Joseph Henry Thayer says that the Greek word translated regeneration "denotes the restoration of a thing to its pristine state, its renovation" [emphasis added] (Joseph Henry Thayer, A Greek - English Lexicon of the New Testament, 474).

The word "regeneration" is translated from the Greek word paliggenesia, which is the combination of palin and genesis.

Palin means "joined to verbs of all sorts,it denotes renewal or repetition of the action" (Ibid., 475).

Genesis means "used of birth, nativity" (Ibid., 112).

So when we combine the two words the meaning is a repetition of a birth. Therefore, when Paul used the Greek word translated "regeneration" to describe his salvation experience he was speaking of a repetition of a birth.

It is obvious that the reference is not to a "physical" rebirth, or the repetition of one's physical birth. Paul could only be speaking of a repetition of a spiritual birth. And the words that follow make it certain that the "birth" of which Paul is referring to is a "spiritual" birth--"renewing of the Holy Spirit."

Since the "renewal" of the Holy Spirit is in regard to being made alive spiritually then the previous birth of the Spirit must also be in regard to being made alive spiritually by the Holy Spirit. In other words, since a person is "regenerated" by the Holy Spirit then that means that one must have previously been born of the Holy Spirit. That happens at conception.

So when a person is conceived in the womb he has spiritual life. And when he sins he is separated from God who is the very source of spiritual life. He becomes spiritually dead.

Last edited:

GeoffW

OK, please consider what the Lord Jesus said here:

"That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit" (Jn.3:6).​

So when a person is born of the spirit he has spiritual life.

Do you agree with that?

While I agree with the general thrust of your reasoning, I cannot fully agree without re-working your statement because it becomes the basis on which you build your later argument. Once again you use a phrase that has no real meaning. I don't find the phrase "spiritual life" in scripture so I have no real means of knowing what you mean by it. If you mean, a person born of the spirit reflects the very character/nature of God by that term, then I'm in agreement.

In the following verse the Apostle Paul describes how he was saved by being made alive by the spirit:

"Not by works of righteousness which we have done, but according to his mercy he saved us, by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Spirit"
(Titus 3:5).​

Joseph Henry Thayer says that the Greek word translated regeneration "denotes the restoration of a thing to its pristine state, its renovation" [emphasis added] (Joseph Henry Thayer, A Greek - English Lexicon of the New Testament, 474).

The word "regeneration" is translated from the Greek word paliggenesia, which is the combination of palin and genesis.

Palin means "joined to verbs of all sorts,it denotes renewal or repetition of the action" (Ibid., 475).

Genesis means "used of birth, nativity" (Ibid., 112).

So when we combine the two words the meaning is a repetition of a birth. Therefore, when Paul used the Greek word translated "regeneration" to describe his salvation experience he was speaking of a repetition of a birth.

It is obvious that the reference is not to a "physical" rebirth, or the repetition of one's physical birth. Paul could only be speaking of a repetition of a spiritual birth. And the words that follow make it certain that the "birth" of which Paul is referring to is a "spiritual" birth--"renewing of the Holy Spirit."

Since the "renewal" of the Holy Spirit is in regard to being made alive spiritually then the previous birth of the Spirit must also be in regard to being made alive spiritually by the Holy Spirit. In other words, since a person is "regenerated" by the Holy Spirit then that means that one must have previously been born of the Holy Spirit. That happens at conception.

So when a person is conceived in the womb he has spiritual life. And when he sins he is separated from God who is the very source of spiritual life. He becomes spiritually dead.

See, that's what happens when you build a case on a false premise, the conclusion doesn't stand up.

Rom 5:6 For when we were yet without strength, in due time Christ died for the ungodly.
Rom 5:7 For scarcely for a righteous man will one die: yet peradventure for a good man some would even dare to die.
Rom 5:8 But God commendeth his love toward us, in that, while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us.
Rom 5:9 Much more then, being now justified by his blood, we shall be saved from wrath through him.
Rom 5:10 For if, when we were enemies, we were reconciled to God by the death of his Son, much more, being reconciled, we shall be saved by his life.

Read above carefully and you should see the problem with your reasoning. You have done a very good job giving us word meanings etc. but missed the point of them because you force them to align with your preconceived notion.
Reconciliation is what what takes us back to Adam. We are reconciled to God by the death of his son.
Isa 59:2 But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear.

Rom 3:23 For all have sinned, and come short of the glory of God;
Rom 3:24 Being justified freely by his grace through the redemption that is in Christ Jesus:
Rom 3:25 Whom God hath set forth to be a propitiation through faith in his blood, to declare his righteousness for the remission of sins that are past, through the forbearance of God;

What you roll into one event is a two step process.
When we read in Titus 3:5 "by the washing of regeneration, and renewing of the Holy Spirit" it is talking about the same process that Rom. 5:10 speaks of, there being much more beyond reconciliation.

This is the much more:
Joh 14:16 And I will pray the Father, and he shall give you another Comforter, that he may abide with you for ever;
Joh 14:17 Even the Spirit of truth; whom the world cannot receive, because it seeth him not, neither knoweth him: but ye know him; for he dwelleth with you, and shall be in you.
Joh 14:18 I will not leave you comfortless: I will come to you.

Joh 6:63 It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.

Gal 2:20 I am crucified with Christ: nevertheless I live; yet not I, but Christ liveth in me: and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by the faith of the Son of God, who loved me, and gave himself for me.

Col 1:25 Whereof I am made a minister, according to the dispensation of God which is given to me for you, to fulfil the word of God;
Col 1:26 Even the mystery which hath been hid from ages and from generations, but now is made manifest to his saints:
Col 1:27 To whom God would make known what is the riches of the glory of this mystery among the Gentiles; which is Christ in you, the hope of glory:
Col 1:28 Whom we preach, warning every man, and teaching every man in all wisdom; that we may present every man perfect in Christ Jesus:

The much more is "Christ in you, the hope of glory"!

Now since we know that our hope specifically is Christ in us for the renewing of our minds by the Holy spirit which produces the "new man", it is interesting to note what John wrote:

Joh 7:38 He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water.
Joh 7:39 (But this spake he of the Spirit, which they that believe on him should receive: for the Holy Ghost was not yet given; because that Jesus was not yet glorified.)

Geoff.

glorydaz

Glorydaz, in light of that which I believe will come against you, I pray that you persevere and that your mind, life and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus.
There's just more than one way you can be tempted.

It's a mind to mind communication.

Geoff.

So you just put your own understanding into the verses I quoted?

That's one way to do it, but I'd say your mind has deceived you on this one.

Let's see how well a natural man's mind is able to commune with God. Will thinking hard enough do it? Will deciding to believe in God make it happen?

1 Corinthians 2:13-14
13 Which things also we speak, not in the words which man's wisdom teacheth, but which the Holy Ghost teacheth; comparing spiritual things with spiritual. 14 But the natural man receiveth not the things of the Spirit of God: for they are foolishness unto him: neither can he know them, because they are spiritually discerned.​

Will standing in the outer court allow you access to the innermost court? :chew:

glorydaz

Man's spirit in that passage?

His mind.

In contrast to God's Mind.

Paul is referring to God's Mind or Outlook on said, once kept hidden things of God that the Spirit of God had revealed unto his mind.

Which things he then spoke / wrote of, given that he now had the mind of Christ on said things of God once kept hidden by God.

And that is in contrast to that mind or outlook of men that he describes at the beginning of chapter three.

Acts 17: 11, 12.

No, our spirit is stirred in us by the Holy Spirit before our mind has a chance to fully comprehend any facts. We see that all the time in scripture....here is a good example.

Acts 17:16 Now while Paul waited for them at Athens, his spirit was stirred in him, when he saw the city wholly given to idolatry.​

Man's mind needs renewing day by day, but our spirit is at the Spirit's behest once He dwells in us. You seem to put man's intellect on a pedestal, but even the simplest among us can commune with the Holy Spirit via our own spirit. Spiritual discernment is a greater understanding than that of the intellect. Heart versus mind.

Jerry Shugart

Once again you use a phrase that has no real meaning. I don't find the phrase "spiritual life" in scripture so I have no real means of knowing what you mean by it.

The reason why you don't understand is that you do not believe what the Lord Jesus says here:

Do you really think that once someone is born of the Spirit and is spirit he then doesn't have spiritual life?

I have answered you so please answer a question for me about the following verse:

"And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses"
(Col.2:13).​

The meaning of the word death is end of life. What kind of life is it that has died in this verse?

Thanks!

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
The reason why you don't understand is that you do not believe what the Lord Jesus says here:

Do you really think that once someone is born of the Spirit and is spirit he then doesn't have spiritual life?

I have answered you so please answer a question for me about the following verse:

"And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses"

The meaning of the word death is end of life. What kind of life is it that has died in this verse?

Thanks!

A soul and spirit that is no longer completely controlled by the body they are trapped in.

Jerry Shugart

Since when?

But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway

Paul is using figurative language there because the the Lord Jesus said that it is the "heart" which is the source of people's evil deeds:

"Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught? But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man" (Mt.15:17-20).​

The word heart cannot be in regard to the "outward man" but instead it is referring to the "inward man."

It's the mind which controls the body. The body doesn't control the mind.

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
Paul is using figurative language there because the the Lord Jesus said that it is the "heart" which is the source of people's evil deeds:

"Do not ye yet understand, that whatsoever entereth in at the mouth goeth into the belly, and is cast out into the draught? But those things which proceed out of the mouth come forth from the heart; and they defile the man. For out of the heart proceed evil thoughts, murders, adulteries, fornications, thefts, false witness, blasphemies: These are the things which defile a man: but to eat with unwashen hands defileth not a man" (Mt.15:17-20).​

The word heart cannot be in regard to the "outward man" but instead it is referring to the "inward man."

It's the mind which controls the body. The body doesn't control the mind.

Romans 7:18 KJV: For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh,) dwelleth no good thing: for to will is present with me; but [how] to perform that which is good I find not.

GeoffW

Jesus was speaking of the great divide, if you like, between opposing ideals.
The human spirit/mind/nature being self serving, self glorifying, lustful in it's outlook, ever self justifying while condemning others in thoughts if not deeds. It sets itself in opposition to God in the very belief that it can be pleasing in God's sight.
The Holy spirit/mind/nature by comparison, is beyond human description, and it's glory unseeable in human perspective.
That's why one has to be born of this spirit to know God.
Applying the term "spiritual life" to this gift seems to degrade it in my eyes, let alone the suggestion that it is something man lost.
I'll quote you from a previous post so there is no mistake:
This speaks of spiritual death:

"But your iniquities have separated between you and your God, and your sins have hid his face from you, that he will not hear" (Isa.59:2).​

Let's continue.

Without wishing to seem picky, I see a whole raft of questions I've asked of you that you haven't addressed.
Nonetheless:

Thanks!

Once again:

Gen 2:17 and of the tree of knowledge of good and evil, thou dost not eat of it, for in the day of thine eating of it--dying thou dost die.' (YLT)

The death that Paul is speaking of is the condition that man enters (in the first "death" that Young translates) when he discovers good and evil. He now knows that he is required to choose the good and reject the evil to be pleasing in God's sight, but in and of himself he cannot find the capacity to choose the good for he is not good, since there is but one who is good, that being God.
Now your reasoning begs the question, if one can have "spiritual life" and lose that life such that he is now "spiritually dead" because he sins, then of what use is the spirit?
Why should the quickening Paul speaks of give us any comfort?

This is why I have confidence in Paul's words:
Joh 5:26 For as the Father hath life in himself; so hath he given to the Son to have life in himself;

That's the life that I see in "Christ in you, the hope of glory!"

Geoff.

Jerry Shugart

The death that Paul is speaking of is the condition that man enters (in the first "death" that Young translates) when he discovers good and evil.

So being "alive" before that death is not having the knowledge of good and evil?

That makes absolutely no sense!