Is Naughty Language Sinful?

glorydaz

Yes, indeed. Likewise we are not to lie one to another. God's word has much to say what should and should not come out of our mouth's and what should and should not be in our hearts.

Out of the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks

There are a lot of words in scripture that call a spade a spade so to speak. Words that as I remember were censored by this website. The three letter word for donkey is one that is found in scripture but in my experience is not permitted to be used on this website. We will try this one. Genesis 22:5 And Abraham said unto his young men, Abide ye here with the ***; and I and the lad will go yonder and worship, and come again to you.

Evidently, God's choice of words is not acceptable on this website.

Except when someone uses that word on this website, they are not talking about an animal, are they? Their intent is usually as a result of malice.

oatmeal

Except when someone uses that word on this website, they are not talking about an animal, are they? Their intent is usually as a result of malice.

Well, I used it because it is contained in scripture and I desired to convey truth. As you pointed out, motive is a part of why we do things.

God does not have a problem with using words that describe what HE wants said accurately. He does so that we may learn to discern truth from error.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Well, I used it because it is contained in scripture and I desired to convey truth. As you pointed out, motive is a part of why we do things.

God does not have a problem with using words that describe what HE wants said accurately. He does so that we may learn to discern truth from error.

ok, this could go in a variety of directions and I really have to get my paper written, but.....

how does this all apply to a non-believer (like the fellow in the youtube video whose language sparked this discussion)?

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
i can't imagine a "righteous" way of eating a peach - am i sinning when i eat a peach?
You have to slurp and suck at it while you're biting. It's not going to be quiet, and standing over a sink isn't a bad idea.

But having a nice sharp knife you could instead slice off pieces and eat those. Because of the sharp blade, the juice tends to stay in the flesh instead of want to squirt all over the place.

BTW, I dogging love God. God is dogging awesome. Dog I love God. :devil:

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
More'n likely.;):chuckle:
And is that a problem? No. If you really want to know what perfect is, you can know much more precisely than you ever dreamed. We just need to receive that we are not the source of morality and goodness, we can only recognize what already nonfictionally exists outside of ourselves; we cannot, and we do not create or change morals, but we can however see them, and we can see when they are violated. These violations are sins or trespasses, and everyone sins and is a trespasser. And what if someone lives for six or seven decades trespassing in a certain way, and never realizing they were sinning all along in that way? And then they found out? What should they think? What should they do? What about eight decades? Nine? What if a 100-year-old realizes that they've believed something that is good and right, is actually evil and from the pit of hell? They've fought against goodness, because they thought they were warring against evil? But now they see aright. Who are they now?

1Mind1Spirit

Literal lunatic
And is that a problem? No. If you really want to know what perfect is, you can know much more precisely than you ever dreamed. We just need to receive that we are not the source of morality and goodness, we can only recognize what already nonfictionally exists outside of ourselves; we cannot, and we do not create or change morals, but we can however see them, and we can see when they are violated. These violations are sins or trespasses, and everyone sins and is a trespasser. And what if someone lives for six or seven decades trespassing in a certain way, and never realizing they were sinning all along in that way? And then they found out? What should they think? What should they do? What about eight decades? Nine? What if a 100-year-old realizes that they've believed something that is good and right, is actually evil and from the pit of hell? They've fought against goodness, because they thought they were warring against evil? But now they see aright. Who are they now?

Song of Solomon
Chapter 1

The song of songs, which is Solomon's.
Let him kiss me with the kisses of his mouth: for thy love is better than wine.
Because of the savour of thy good ointments thy name is as ointment poured forth, therefore do the virgins love thee.
Draw me, we will run after thee: the king hath brought me into his chambers: we will be glad and rejoice in thee, we will remember thy love more than wine: the upright love thee.
I am black, but comely, O ye daughters of Jerusalem, as the tents of Kedar, as the curtains of Solomon.
Look not upon me, because I am black, because the sun hath looked upon me: my mother's children were angry with me; they made me the keeper of the vineyards; but mine own vineyard have I not kept.
Tell me, O thou whom my soul loveth, where thou feedest, where thou makest thy flock to rest at noon: for why should I be as one that turneth aside by the flocks of thy companions?
If thou know not, O thou fairest among women, go thy way forth by the footsteps of the flock, and feed thy kids beside the shepherds' tents.
I have compared thee, O my love, to a company of horses in Pharaoh's chariots.
Thy cheeks are comely with rows of jewels, thy neck with chains of gold.
We will make thee borders of gold with studs of silver.
While the king sitteth at his table, my spikenard sendeth forth the smell thereof.
A bundle of myrrh is my wellbeloved unto me; he shall lie all night betwixt my breasts.
My beloved is unto me as a cluster of camphire in the vineyards of Engedi.
Behold, thou art fair, my love; behold, thou art fair; thou hast doves' eyes.
Behold, thou art fair, my beloved, yea, pleasant: also our bed is green.
The beams of our house are cedar, and our rafters of fir.

ok doser

"they made me the keeper of the vineyards; but mine own vineyard have I not kept"

what's he talking about here?

Truster

Why does a person use offensive terms
and then say, sorry, I hope I didn’t offend?
It’s like punching someone in the face
and saying, sorry, I hope I didn’t hurt you.

There is as much violence in a word
as there is in physical violence
Once used it is pointless saying sorry,
because if you were truly sorry,
you wouldn’t have done it or said it.

oatmeal

Indeed. Should believers succumb to political correctness? God tells to not let any corrupt communication to come out of our mouth. Is that the same thing as PC?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Can anybody provide scriptural support for the contention that using the F-word is evil?

Ephesians 5:4
Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk, or crude joking, which are out of character, but rather thanksgiving.

Colossians 3:8
But now you must put aside all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your mouth.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
which is worse?

crude language or lying?
lying - which is one of the commandments unless of course the crude language is referring to God or a parent, then they would be on par as far as what a sin is.
The Catholic Church teaches that dishonesty becomes graver the more serious the harm done by the deceit, so if someone dies because of a lie, then that lie is a mortal sin, but a "white lie" without any harm done, is venial.

ok doser

The Catholic Church teaches that dishonesty becomes graver the more serious the harm done by the deceit, so if someone dies because of a lie, then that lie is a mortal sin, but a "white lie" without any harm done, is venial.

interesting

are you Catholic?

What about a lie that intends grave harm but is ineffective?

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
interesting

are you Catholic?

What about a lie that intends grave harm but is ineffective?
:think: I'll have to review the Catechism of the Catholic Church for a better answer, but from what I know the gravity of a sin depends upon the actual harm done, not its intent. The imputability of the guilt for the sin though, does depend upon intent. In this case, where there's no or limited harm actually done, firstly the trespass (the lie) is intrinsically light, regardless of the intent. Only secondly would we say that the deceiver is fully guilty . . . of a venial sin. 'Could be wrong of course, but I'll look into it because it's a good question. :thumb: