Is marital rape scripturally defensible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClimateSanity

Oh boy, you're just as nuts as he is...

What a pair of paranoid deluded fruitcakes.

:freak:

Look at the history of the women's movement. Look at how women manipulate men with sex. Do some thinking beyond emotional knee jerk denial. I guess men in your circles are afraid to mention how they are treated at home.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
I'm talking about the brass tacks. When it really comes down to it, if she wants to take it there- to the place you cannot. The whole 50/50 thing is not without a ridiculous lean towards the woman, it is a full reversal of a patriarchal, biblical family setting.

Feminism just played men like a fiddle, is all. Right under your nose- they know what they are doing and you don't hold them accountable for that the same as you don't hold them accountable for anything else.
It's why I've made ample use of the phrases 'hostage' and 'Stockholms syndrome'- that's exactly what it is.

Men would do well to heed the Patriarchs, even if one is an atheist. There is valuable wisdom for men in the Bible in regards to the attack they are under by women.

If I so chose, I can take it to a place that my wife could never dream of. Why would I? Why would she? Once you reduce marriage to who is in control it is no longer a marriage. Power struggles never end well.

Arthur Brain

Look at the history of the women's movement. Look at how women manipulate men with sex. Do some thinking beyond emotional knee jerk denial. I guess men in your circles are afraid to mention how they are treated at home.

Yeah, lets look at it shall we? Let's review how women had to fight to get the vote for starters. Let's review how few rights and lack of a voice they had in society as well as at home to boot. You whinge, moan and blow off as if women have you tied to the bloody sink dude. If I were supposedly so scared to mention my home life because of some supposed browbeaten existence by a woman then why would I come online to bluntly call you out on being a crank?

Do the math doofus.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
A poll asked if Milo should be banned from the university of bristol. It was 84% to 16% saying no. That guy seems to make sense. Never heard of him until today though.

I like Milo. He puts up a good fist against feminism and is honest about the gay agenda. The UK needs some based sanity, I think. They love to pummel Americans and Russians day in and day out for their conservative Christian slant.

Arthur Brain

I like Milo. He puts up a good fist against feminism and is honest about the gay agenda. The UK needs some based sanity, I think. They love to pummel Americans and Russians day in and day out for their conservative Christian slant.

Nah, just the nutty ones...

:)

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Yeah, lets look at it shall we? Let's review how women had to fight to get the vote for starters. Let's review how few rights and lack of a voice they had in society as well as at home to boot. You whinge, moan and blow off as if women have you tied to the bloody sink dude. If I were supposedly so scared to mention my home life because of some supposed browbeaten existence by a woman then why would I come online to bluntly call you out on being a crank?

Do the math doofus.

All they really wanted was to have birth control and not be married. That was them wanting to 'be like men', and in order to do so, they had to be have jobs and vote.

The rest is just mythologized nonsense.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Apparently, the discussion has very much progressed (I use the term loosely) since I've last posted. I wish to speak briefly to the original posting:

1. As scriptural commentators note, Eve was made from the rib of Adam. She was not made from his feet, so as to signify that Adam should dominate her, and that she should be his slave, but from his side, close to his heart, in order to signify that the woman is man's helpmate/partner, in order to signify the mutual complementarity of male and female. Men and women, I emphasize, are mutually complementary to each other. Each "brings something to the table," so to speak.

2. Nonetheless, as has been noted, as the scriptures tell us, a married person's body does not only belong to him or her, but also to his or her spouse, and, likewise, the other way around. Marriage involves complete mutual self-giving. Each spouse rightly may say of the other: "You are mine." This is a right of each spouse to the other which is not to be refused lightly.

3. Marriage is a dim prefigurement of the union of Christ and His Church. Marriage should imitate the sacrificial love that Christ has shown for His bride, the Church. Consider for a moment the Most Blessed Sacrament, the Eucharist, and how marriage imperfectly imitates this.

The attitude of spouses to each other should be one of mutual respect, love, self-giving and self-sacrifice.

For the wife, this means: "I don't feel like it," "I have a headache," "I just washed my hair" and even "I am menstrating (as St. Thomas Aquinas tells us)" aren't good enough reasons to say "no."

For the man, this means that he should be sensitive to the needs, emotions, well being, etc. of his wife.

"No means no." Sure, in some sense, I'll grant that. But if the wife were justified in saying "no," the man should not have asked in the first place.

Arthur Brain

All they really wanted was to have birth control and not be married. That was them wanting to 'be like men', and in order to do so, they had to be have jobs and vote.

The rest is just mythologized nonsense.

Readers digest version and accurate.

Oh, well, yes that just must be true then. Forget the annuls of history on the topic and lets just accept you two as spokespersons for women of the time instead...

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
]1. As scriptural commentators note, Eve was made from the rib of Adam. She was not made from his feet, so as to signify that Adam should dominate her, and that she should be his slave, but from his side, close to his heart, in order to signify that the woman is man's helpmate/partner, in order to signify the mutual complementarity of male and female. Men and women, I emphasize, are mutually complementary to each other. Each "brings something to the table," so to speak.

A feminized, revisionist falsehood.

The rib comes from Mesopotamian lore, in which a god was cursed by a goddess.
Imagine that.

genuineoriginal

Lets be clear: this is your definition of marriage. I do not agree with your definition.
Yes, you do not agree with the definition of marriage established in the Bible because it does not fit your liberal sensitivities.

1 Corinthians 6:16
16 What? know ye not that he which is joined to an harlot is one body? for two, saith he, shall be one flesh.​

It is incomplete and does not honor God.
Actually, it is quite complete and does honor God, but you do not want to accept it.

No, my comments are not limited to Christian marriages, my comments apply to all marriages between a man and a woman.
Not at all.

You are trying to identify what is needed in a marriage to make it "a strong and lasting no God honoring marriage".

I, on the other hand, am not distracted by your rabbit trail, and am sticking to what makes every marriage different from any other type relationship, including the weak marriage, the short marriage, and the marriage that doesn't honor God, such as one that ends in adultery.

Since you can't stick to the subject without running away from it, I will repeat it again.

The things that makes a marriage different from any other type of relationship are:
  • The sexual relationship between the man and wife
  • The children that may be produced from that sexual relationship
  • Additional family in the form of in-laws.

Common law marriages are probably the most common type throughout history, and do not include a marriage certificate and may not include a ceremony other than the consummation of the marriage itself.

genuineoriginal

Go back and look at your posts and OD's posts at several others who are all saying that rape does not exist in a marriage because a woman's bodies is not her own. i haven't read every single post but I have not seen one of these people say that a woman can say no because she has authority over her husbands body to do so. It has been very one sided and misogynistic.

You have been reading your own distorted opinion of what has been posted instead of reading the actual posts.

The point I have been making in this thread is a simple one based on whether the legal definition of rape should include the brand new freshly minted feminist concept of marital rape.
I say it should not.
Here is the historical definition of sex from before the changes imposed by feminists.
"A carnal knowledge of a woman not one's wife by force or against her will."

Crucible has been trying to make the point that feminists have been calling everything rape in order to seize control over male-female relationships, since all they would need to do is claim rape to ruin the life of the man.

You have been trying to argue about what constitutes a good marriage as opposed to a bad one.
The same argument is also being made by ok doser, Crucible, and ClimateSanity.
The difference is you are focused on claiming it is evil for the husband to have sex with his wife after she says "no" and they are focused on claiming it is evil for the woman to say "no" when there is no sufficient reason for doing so.

To combine both sides: in a good marriage the husband does not pursue sex with his wife after she says "no" and the wife does not say "no" without sufficient reason.
Everyone in this thread is in agreement with this, now find out what you are actually disagreeing about.

The topic of the thread is whether there is scriptural support for marital rape.

The answer is not "no, the scriptures do not allow the husband to rape his wife."

The answer is not "yes, the scriptures allow the husband to rape his wife."

The answer is "the scriptures are silent on the matter since a husband having sex with his wife cannot be considered to be rape."

Why would that be the answer?
Two reasons.
The scriptures state that a man that has sex with an unmarried woman is to become her husband for the rest of her life and he cannot divorce her.
The scriptures state that a man that has sex with some other man's wife is to be put to death.

These scriptures are enforcing the principle that the only place that sex is allowed is in a marriage between the husband and his wife.

In our society, we are so messed up that we freely allow sex outside the marriage without any care whether the people having sex are a man and a woman, whether they are married to each other, or whether they are committing adultery.

On top of it, we have found a way to criminalize sex inside the marriage.

Permitting sex outside of marriage has been historically proven to destroy societies.
Criminalizing sex inside the marriage is only being done to promote more sex outside the marriage.

genuineoriginal

Apparently, the discussion has very much progressed (I use the term loosely) since I've last posted. I wish to speak briefly to the original posting:

1. As scriptural commentators note, Eve was made from the rib of Adam. She was not made from his feet, so as to signify that Adam should dominate her, and that she should be his slave, but from his side, close to his heart, in order to signify that the woman is man's helpmate/partner, in order to signify the mutual complementarity of male and female. Men and women, I emphasize, are mutually complementary to each other. Each "brings something to the table," so to speak.

2. Nonetheless, as has been noted, as the scriptures tell us, a married person's body does not only belong to him or her, but also to his or her spouse, and, likewise, the other way around. Marriage involves complete mutual self-giving. Each spouse rightly may say of the other: "You are mine." This is a right of each spouse to the other which is not to be refused lightly.

3. Marriage is a dim prefigurement of the union of Christ and His Church. Marriage should imitate the sacrificial love that Christ has shown for His bride, the Church. Consider for a moment the Most Blessed Sacrament, the Eucharist, and how marriage imperfectly imitates this.

The attitude of spouses to each other should be one of mutual respect, love, self-giving and self-sacrifice.

For the wife, this means: "I don't feel like it," "I have a headache," "I just washed my hair" and even "I am menstrating (as St. Thomas Aquinas tells us)" aren't good enough reasons to say "no."

For the man, this means that he should be sensitive to the needs, emotions, well being, etc. of his wife.

"No means no." Sure, in some sense, I'll grant that. But if the wife were justified in saying "no," the man should not have asked in the first place.
According to the Bible, menstruation is a time that the husband is to avoid sex with his wife.
So, St. Thomas Aquinas would be wrong in saying that it is not a good enough reason.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

It's pretty apparent by a few of the posters in this thread (which would include Crucible aka Sum/Skybringr/Homeskillet under his newest username) that they don't believe there is ANY justification for no.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
GO, ok doser, and Crucible, is your general idea this......that in marriage your body is no longer your own so rape in marriage is a contradiction and can't exist?

Status
Not open for further replies.