Is "let go, let God" a Christian bridge to all the ancient religions?

rondonn

It's a popular saying in Christian circles. This is not about doing anything, but just letting go (as I understand it).

Could this be an opening to shake hands and support many of the major religions of the world? Buddhism, Taoist, Sufi, Vedic tradition of India (and probably many more), they all have this theme of surrender at the heart of their spiritual practices.

Let Go, let God. Do you think this a good opening for better friendships among many of the religions of the world?

musterion

It's a popular saying in Christian circles. This is not about doing anything, but just letting go (as I understand it).

Not defending it because the phrase means more than one thing to different people. So, question: what's the alternative?

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame

Could this be an opening to shake hands and support many of the major religions of the world? Buddhism, Taoist, Sufi, Vedic tradition of India (and probably many more), they all have this theme of surrender at the heart of their spiritual practices.

Let Go, let God. Do you think this a good opening for better friendships among many of the religions of the world?

Tell me what you believe that phrase means, before i respond, thanks.

glorydaz

I don't see how it could be used to promote friendships among other religions of the world. I see it as saying to have total trust in God to do His work through you. It's been over used, though, and has become a sort of catch phrase, almost a canned response, but other than that, I don't see it.

Buzzword

Let go (of the dogma and doctrines which set us against each other)
and
Let God (love others through you).

Or as one of my theology professors put it:
"God already loves everyone. When you struggle to do the same, stand in the river of God's love and trust that He will work through you."

nikolai_42

The connection is tenuous at best. Phrases like this need context to judge properly. Otherwise, anytime someone says "Breathe deeply" you should be afraid that they are trying to indoctrinate you in Yoga and related Eastern Mystical practices.

EDIT : Even in scripture you find this potential for abuse by overgeneralization. For example...

But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.
Matthew 6:7

Yet God told the Israelites to march around Jericho a grand total of 13 times...Elisha had Naaman wash in the Jordan 7 times to cure him of his leprosy...the Seraphim in Isaiah 6 (and the "winged beasts" of Revelation 4) cried "Holy, Holy, Holy!" in offering up praise to God....all repetitious but with a specific purpose (even if the Israelites and Naaman may have wondered what they were doing in the middle of those seemingly ineffective repetitions)

PureX

It's a saying meant to remind us of the need for humility. "Let go, let God" is about recognizing our habit of presuming ourselves to be gods, and therefor presuming ourselves to be in charge of everything we see and experience. And thus we stand in judgment of, and then try to manipulate and control that which is not ours to judge or manipulate or control.

Most of the world's religions have come to realize that this is an ongoing problem for we humans: this insistence on 'playing God', ourselves. In Christian terms, it is mankind's original sin. it was the idea that the snake tempted Eve with in the garden (we would be God's equals once we possessed God's knowledge of good and evil), and that they both "fell for" in the story of our loss of Eden. And it's still the sin that leads us into most other sins, today.

rondonn

Good, now I can see that the phrase can pick up a number of meanings. All these responses are well thought out. Thanks