Is it morally wrong to Fake your own Death?

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Whatever grants the children greater protection from the threat is the superior method.

I see no reason to agree to this premise.

Consider the following:

Whatever grants Americans greater protection from the North Korean nuclear threat is the superior method.
Exterminating all North Koreans grants the greatest protection against North Korean nuclear threat.
Therefore, exterminating all North Koreans is the superior method of protecting Americans.

You may well deny the minor premise, but even if it were true, I assume that you wouldn't grant the argument. The major premise is simply false.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I see no reason to agree to this premise.

I don't need you to agree with me. A parent's first responsibility should always be to protect the children against anyone or anything that could/would cause them harm.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Consider the following:

Whatever grants Americans greater protection from the North Korean nuclear threat is the superior method.
Exterminating all North Koreans grants the greatest protection against North Korean nuclear threat.
Therefore, exterminating all North Koreans is the superior method of protecting Americans.

You may well deny the minor premise, but even if it were true, I assume that you wouldn't grant the argument. The major premise is simply false.

Your example does not work within the context of the OP.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
I don't need you to agree with me. A parent's first responsibility should always be to protect the children against anyone or anything that could/would cause them harm.

I don't question this. I only tack on the qualification: "insofar as their means of doing so is morally permissible."

Arthur Brain

Yep. His whole premise is flawed, just like anyone who insists that lying in itself is always wrong etc...

elohiym

On the question of faking death: I don't see playing dead per se as an immoral act. It's always about the intent of the heart, so it will depend on the circumstances.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
On the question of faking death: I don't see playing dead per se as an immoral act. It's always about the intent of the heart, so it will depend on the circumstances.

Exactly so ...

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
]

In many of the known cases, the perpetrators were successful for many years,
and some have not been proven or caught to this day in spite of evidence of their fakery.

Many were extremely wealthy, but others were working class or did it to make money,
for instance on insurance.

We must always logically assume that there are more actual cases than those which have been
exposed.
:wazzup:
We would know only the 'fake' attempts.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Though it was only a movie, I will use the example of Julia Robert's character in "Sleeping with the Enemy". In that particular case, no it wasn't wrong and was done for the purpose of self-defense.

Agree, good moves too. I like the more recent one where the lady goes off the Carolina coast better. :)

Although she is running away from her abusing monster accuse she stabs him, even though the alcoholic creep finds her, she prevails in the end.:up:

Thy both kill their monsters, and end up with nice men, Carolina man, as one would expect, is much more cute and handsome. :)

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Agree, good moves too. I like the more recent one where the lady goes off the Carolina coast better. :)

Although she is running away from her abusing monster accuse she stabs him, even though the alcoholic creep finds her, she prevails in the end.:up:

Thy both kill their monsters, and end up with nice men, Carolina man, as one would expect, is much more cute and handsome. :)

Is that a remake of "Sleeping With The Enemy"? I would like to see it. Another good one is the movie "Enough".

Traditio

BANNED
Banned

Do you mean "the reason why he did it"? I don't think that's the only sole determining factor: do you really care how well-intentioned a rapist or a serial murderer may have been?

We should attend to the act itself and inquire whether it itself is wrong either 1. in itself or 2. in certain circumstances.

Traditio

BANNED
Banned
Your example does not work within the context of the OP.

This is a cop-out.

The simple fact, Rusha, is that you are using a good end to justify the use of any means, without stopping to consider whether or not those means are permissible, considered in themselves.

In terms of ethics, a good end cannot justify intrinsically bad means.