Is it morally wrong to Fake your own Death?

Nazaroo

Faking your own death is as old as Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.

Its been used as a military tactic, a political solution, a way to remarry
or elope, a method to dissuade investigators, a way to cover up murder,
and for a thousand other reasons.

It has been largely reserved as a practice for those wealthy enough or powerful enough
to pull it off successfully. It is often unsuccessful as well as successful for at least a time,
but remains an attractive option under many situations.

Lists of successful and unsuccessful perpetrators of their own death are available.

Some famous cases are:

JACQUOTTE DELAHAYE // C. 1656

LORD TIMOTHY DEXTER / 1800
ALEXANDER I OF RUSSIA // 1825

WILLIAM GOODWIN GEDDES // 1877

BELLE GUNNESS // 1908

MARION FRANKLIN ROGERS // 1929

CONNIE FRANKLIN 1929

ALFRED ROUSE // 1930

Ken Kesey 1965

JOHN STONEHOUSE // 1974

Lord Duncan 1974

Gandaruban Subramaniam 1987

Bennie Wint 1989

Philip Sessarago 1993

Arthur Bennett 1994

Friedrich Gulda 1999

Samuel Israel III 2000

Alexander “Ace” Baker 2001

John Darwin 2002

Jenaro Jimenez Hernandez 2008

In many of the known cases, the perpetrators were successful for many years,
and some have not been proven or caught to this day in spite of evidence of their fakery.

Many were extremely wealthy, but others were working class or did it to make money,
for instance on insurance.

We must always logically assume that there are more actual cases than those which have been
exposed.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
and some have not been proven or caught to this day in spite of evidence of their fakery.

Many were extremely wealthy, but others were working class or did it to make money,

We must always logically assume that there are more actual cases than those which have been
exposed.

I guess it would depend on *why* they were faking their death and whether it not it negatively affected others. Are they faking their death to avoid prosecution of a criminal offense?

Has the person left his/her family members grieving? Was it done to keep the person and their loved one's safe?

Though it was only a movie, I will use the example of Julia Robert's character in "Sleeping with the Enemy". In that particular case, no it wasn't wrong and was done for the purpose of self-defense.

Last edited:

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Though it was only I movie, I will use the example of Julia Robert's character in "Sleeping with the Enemy". In that particular case, no it wasn't wrong and was done for the purpose of self-defense.

I really like that movie. Always makes me jump. (Although that's not saying much - I was in the theater last week with my sisters and jumped three times in one preview for The Boy... :chuckle:)

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I really like that movie. Always makes me jump. (Although that's not saying much - I was in the theater last week with my sisters and jumped three times in one preview for The Boy... :chuckle:)

Almost everything I watch is either horror or suspense ... so I am use to jumping during scary movies.

theophilus

I don't think it's morally wrong to fake your own death but it's wrong on many other levels.

:think:

zoo22

Faking your own death is as old as Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet.

Its been used as a military tactic, a political solution, a way to remarry
or elope, a method to dissuade investigators, a way to cover up murder,
and for a thousand other reasons.

It has been largely reserved as a practice for those wealthy enough or powerful enough
to pull it off successfully. It is often unsuccessful as well as successful for at least a time,
but remains an attractive option under many situations.

Lists of successful and unsuccessful perpetrators of their own death are available.

Some famous cases are:

JACQUOTTE DELAHAYE // C. 1656

LORD TIMOTHY DEXTER / 1800
ALEXANDER I OF RUSSIA // 1825

WILLIAM GOODWIN GEDDES // 1877

BELLE GUNNESS // 1908

MARION FRANKLIN ROGERS // 1929

CONNIE FRANKLIN 1929

ALFRED ROUSE // 1930

Ken Kesey 1965

JOHN STONEHOUSE // 1974

Lord Duncan 1974

Gandaruban Subramaniam 1987

Bennie Wint 1989

Philip Sessarago 1993

Arthur Bennett 1994

Friedrich Gulda 1999

Samuel Israel III 2000

Alexander “Ace” Baker 2001

John Darwin 2002

Jenaro Jimenez Hernandez 2008

exposed.

You think David Bowie faked his death? Who else do you think has faked their own death? That list above? Who else? Is Elvis dead or fake dead? I'm sure you know that Elvis and Bowie have the same "birth" day... Do you think that's coincidence? Looking forward to your thoughts!

Just watch these sinners undulate:

Moonage Daydream by David Bowie

Hey also, do you think Mick Ronson's death was faked? Curious. Mick Ronson "died" of cancer. What?? How could he have been so incredible a guitar player besides selling his soul?? (Or practice I guess, but let's ignore that for now). Anyway, let us know!

Granite

Hall of Fame
So let's see now:

Bowie's not dead, and no one was killed at Sandy Hook, and I'm sure Naz will tell you plenty of "alleged" 9/11 victims never existed in the first place. So, maybe it's best to ask the guy if he thinks anyone actually ever dies anymore.

Nazaroo

I guess it would depend on *why* they were faking their death and whether it not it negatively affected others. Are they faking their death to avoid prosecution of a criminal offense?

Has the person left his/her family members grieving? Was it done to keep the person and their loved one's safe?

Though it was only a movie, I will use the example of Julia Robert's character in "Sleeping with the Enemy". In that particular case, no it wasn't wrong and was done for the purpose of self-defense.

Best answer so far.

Sorry for the rest of you.

Rusha actually took the question seriously and responded with intelligent issues.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
If it is, wouldn't it also be morally wrong to enter the Federal Witness Protection Program?

:think: I know you didn't ask me, however, the whole reason to enter one of those programs is to PROTECT a witness who would otherwise be at risk of danger or death.

It is one of those rare instances in which there would be an exception to the rule.

genuineoriginal

:think: I know you didn't ask me, however, the whole reason to enter one of those programs is to PROTECT a witness who would otherwise be at risk of danger or death.

It is one of those rare instances in which there would be an exception to the rule.

Thank you for your answer.

Entering the Witness Protection Program is like faking your own death in that the former identity is abandoned and a new identity is adopted.

Most of the people that are put in the Witness Protection Program took a deal to gain immunity from prosecution in exchange for providing testimony about a major crime.
They are rarely innocent people that happened to witness a crime, but are almost always accessories to the crimes.

Like the OP stated, there are many reasons people will fake their own death, and almost every one can be traced to a desire to escape the consequences of the choices they made.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Thank you for your answer.

Entering the Witness Protection Program is like faking your own death in that the former identity is abandoned and a new identity is adopted.

Most of the people that are put in the Witness Protection Program took a deal to gain immunity from prosecution in exchange for providing testimony about a major crime.
They are rarely innocent people that happened to witness a crime, but are almost always accessories to the crimes.

Like the OP stated, there are many reasons people will fake their own death, and almost every one can be traced to a desire to escape the consequences of the choices they made.

Oh, okay. I see the point you are making. That is interesting. I would hate to be a prosecutor and have to rely on an unsavory person to take down someone who is a much greater threat.

That actually makes for a decent topic ... protecting one form of evil to take down many. :think: