Is death just another life?

marke

So you don't even think we die physically, except that we stop breathing?
I have no idea what you are trying to twist out of this. When people die they are dead and their bodies uusually get cremated or buried. How hard is that to understand?

Derf

I have no idea what you are trying to twist out of this. When people die they are dead and their bodies uusually get cremated or buried. How hard is that to understand?
That's pretty clear, thanks. I'm not trying to twist anything, I'd just like to make sure our language isn't confusing; see the title of the thread.

In a previous post you defined the body's demise in terms of the person going to heaven, which I didn't quite expect.

So if Paul talks about death as something that is before it really is, in Rom 8:10, you think it is because we are to hold the body as dead to sin, because we are in Christ, right?

But the structure of the sentence compares two things that are "because" of something, "if you are in Christ." The body is dead because of sin, and the Spirit is life because of righteousness. If your interpretation was intended, I think it would have to say "the body is dead TO sin," rather than BECAUSE of sin. Thus, the Roman readers, whose bodies were still living and breathing, were told their bodies weren't living and breathing "because of sin."

In other words, their bodies were doomed to die. Thus Paul was using a future reality (death) to describe a present condition.

The same could be said about when we were "dead in our trespasses and sins." We weren't really dead, just doomed to die.

Derf

And where in scripture do you find that?
I'm not for sure about it, but Judas' father's name was Simon, and they were at a Simon's house.

John 12:4 (KJV)
Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon's [son], which should betray him,

Mark 14:3 (KJV)
And being in Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, as he sat at meat, there came a woman having an alabaster box of ointment of spikenard very precious; and she brake the box, and poured [it] on his head.

Both of these passages describe the same event.

Right Divider

Body part
I'm not for sure about it, but Judas' father's name was Simon, and they were at a Simon's house.

Then saith one of his disciples, Judas Iscariot, Simon's [son], which should betray him,

And being in Bethany in the house of Simon the leper, as he sat at meat, there came a woman having an alabaster box of ointment of spikenard very precious; and she brake the box, and poured [it] on his head.

Simon seems to be a fairly common name at that time. Even Peter is Simon:
Matt 4:18 (AKJV/PCE)
(4:18) ¶ And Jesus, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers.

Mark calls this Simon "Simon the leper". You'd think that if it was Judas Iscariot's father, he would have said so (because that's an import detail, if true).

Idolater

"Foundation of the World" Dispensationalist χρ

Could just be a different Simon, like the Simony Simon in Acts.

(4:18) ¶ And Jesus, walking by the sea of Galilee, saw two brethren, Simon called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea: for they were fishers.

Mark calls this Simon "Simon the leper". You'd think that if it was Judas Iscariot's father, he would have said so (because that's an import detail, if true).
Another argument from silence. You love those. You employ them all the time. They're very rhetorically effective, but they're still logically invalid. In order to know the truth you must understand the difference.

Derf

Judas was only called Simon's son three times, that I found--all by John. We know some of the other disciples' father's names, like Zebedee (James and John), or Jonas (Simon Peter and Andrew). But not all. Since Judas had a "last name", his father's name wasn't necessary to distinguish from the other Judas. It's certainly not something I can support with scripture--just a conjecture.

Gary K

Banned
Judas was only called Simon's son three times, that I found--all by John. We know some of the other disciples' father's names, like Zebedee (James and John), or Jonas (Simon Peter and Andrew). But not all. Since Judas had a "last name", his father's name wasn't necessary to distinguish from the other Judas. It's certainly not something I can support with scripture--just a conjecture.
Judas Iscariot was Simon Iscariot's son. Scripture makes that pretty clear as it tells us Judas' last name.

Gary K

Banned
Which is almost as much of a conjecture as mine.
Really? How do you come to that conclusion?

Luke 22:3 ¶Then entered Satan into Judas surnamed Iscariot, being of the number of the twelve.

The Collaborative International Dictionary of English v.0.48 (gcide)
Surname Sur"name`, n. [Pref. sur + name; really a substitution
for OE. sournoun, from F. surnom. See Sur-, and Noun,
Name.]
1. A name or appellation which is added to, or over and
above, the baptismal or Christian name, and becomes a
family name.
[1913 Webster]

Derf

Really? How do you come to that conclusion?
Here's another use of the word "surnamed", also by Luke:
Acts 4:36 (KJV) And Joses, who by the apostles was surnamed Barnabas, (which is, being interpreted, The son of consolation,) a Levite, [and] of the country of Cyprus,

It probably wasn't a "last name" as we usually think of such. Joses' father was probably not "consolation".

Gary K

Banned
Here's another use of the word "surnamed", also by Luke:
Acts 4:36 (KJV) And Joses, who by the apostles was surnamed Barnabas, (which is, being interpreted, The son of consolation,) a Levite, [and] of the country of Cyprus,

It probably wasn't a "last name" as we usually think of such. Joses' father was probably not "consolation".
Big difference. Who does Luke say surnamed Barbabas? If that was true of Judas why didn't he say say the same thing he did about Barnabas? Because it was Judas' family name and as I said the disciples were not apt to forget Judas' entire name. They had traveled and worked with him for 3 years before his betrayal.

Not that this will mean anything to you, but I have never seen any pastor, Bible commentary, theologian, or author ever question Judas' last name. Not a single one. But when you think your speculation is as reliable as God's word I'll leave you to your speculation.

Derf

Big difference. Who does Luke say surnamed Barbabas? If that was true of Judas why didn't he say say the same thing he did about Barnabas? Because it was Judas' family name and as I said the disciples were not apt to forget Judas' entire name. They had traveled and worked with him for 3 years before his betrayal.

Not that this will mean anything to you, but I have never seen any pastor, Bible commentary, theologian, or author ever question Judas' last name. Not a single one. But when you think your speculation is as reliable as God's word I'll leave you to your speculation.
The apostles surnamed Barnabas. Jesus surnamed Peter and the sons of thunder, if I remember correctly. Who knows who surnamed Saul (“Paul”). In none of these cases do we transfer the surname to the actual fathers. Why should we presume to do it with Judas’s?

Gary K

Banned
The apostles surnamed Barnabas. Jesus surnamed Peter and the sons of thunder, if I remember correctly. Who knows who surnamed Saul (“Paul”). In none of these cases do we transfer the surname to the actual fathers. Why should we presume to do it with Judas’s?
I don't see any presumption in it. You can't find you point of view in any spiritual writings. It simply doesn't exist. So do what you want to do. Be the one person on earth who disbelieves scripture on this subject. It's no skin off my nose either way.

Derf

I don't see any presumption in it. You can't find you point of view in any spiritual writings. It simply doesn't exist. So do what you want to do. Be the one person on earth who disbelieves scripture on this subject. It's no skin off my nose either way.
I've admitted I can't find my position anywhere, but I've also shown you can't find yours in the bible, either.

My point was for you to consider that Jesus had actually embarrassed Judas in front of his father, and possibly many other people. That wouldn't be manipulation, because Judas brought it on himself, but it might have caused him stop the pretense of being a disciple.

Right Divider

Body part
Saul was not surnamed Paul.
Saul was ALSO CALLED Paul.

Acts 13:9 KJV
Then Saul, (who also is called Paul,) filled with the Holy Ghost, set his eyes on him,

Paul had both Hebrew and Greek names.

Gary K

Banned
I've admitted I can't find my position anywhere, but I've also shown you can't find yours in the bible, either.

My point was for you to consider that Jesus had actually embarrassed Judas in front of his father, and possibly many other people. That wouldn't be manipulation, because Judas brought it on himself, but it might have caused him stop the pretense of being a disciple.

So the one person on earth who never sinned deliberately manipulated Judas to betray Him. That is sin as it is deception. You're willing to accuse Jesus of sin to uphold your speculation. Sorry, but I find that pretty much off the charts weird for anyone to say who claims to love God.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
So the one person on earth who never sinned deliberately manipulated Judas to betray Him. That is sin as it is deception. You're willing to accuse Jesus of sin to uphold your speculation. Sorry, but I find that pretty much off the charts weird for anyone to say who claims to love God.

There is nothing wrong with God manipulating His enemies into accomplishing His will.