Introduction: I am not an open theist

BrianJOrr

Greetings,

My name is Brian Orr, and I am not an open theist; I am of the Reformed persuasion. I am a PhD student, historical theology, and my thesis will focus on the influence of Adolf von Harnack in the development of open theism. I am here to seek feedback as needed from open theists to ensure that my work demonstrates clarity in representation of those who are open theists. I will ask questions from time to time that will at times be in a form that challenges open theism but do so to learn not create a hostile environment.

I am looking for solid, biblical and philosophical arguments from those who are open theists, not ones rooted in emotion or experiential only. This area of theology, theology proper, is our most important doctrine of the Christian faith, which requires the totality of special and general revelation to be examined and interpreted in a clear and concise manner, that coheres with and in the Scriptures.

I am also looking to find as much written material, scholarly that is, from open theists, and I hope there are those in this group that can help me with that.

I hope I am received in this group, and I will do my best to ensure that my posts and comments are as charitable as possible. I won't be one that trolls the board to stir up trouble. I just want to learn as much as I can.

Thanks,

Brian Orr

musterion

Why are you of the Reformed persuasion, if I may ask?

No, I'm not an Open Theist, either. At least I don't think so.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
You may want to read though old threads. Ask specific questions.
welcome

nikolai_42

Why are you of the Reformed persuasion, if I may ask?

No, I'm not an Open Theist, either. At least I don't think so.

Assuming this is the same Brian Orr, he has written a short book on that subject :

http://www.amazon.com/The-Fallenness-Man-Graciousness-God/dp/1312270284

The short bio on that page answers your question directly (if tersely):

I believe Reformed theology is the most God-centered approach to interpreting and understanding the Scriptures thus elevating God and lowering man, demonstrating that we can do nothing apart from the grace of God through Christ.

Welcome to Brian, by the way!

oatmeal

Greetings,

My name is Brian Orr, and I am not an open theist; I am of the Reformed persuasion. I am a PhD student, historical theology, and my thesis will focus on the influence of Adolf von Harnack in the development of open theism. I am here to seek feedback as needed from open theists to ensure that my work demonstrates clarity in representation of those who are open theists. I will ask questions from time to time that will at times be in a form that challenges open theism but do so to learn not create a hostile environment.

I am looking for solid, biblical and philosophical arguments from those who are open theists, not ones rooted in emotion or experiential only. This area of theology, theology proper, is our most important doctrine of the Christian faith, which requires the totality of special and general revelation to be examined and interpreted in a clear and concise manner, that coheres with and in the Scriptures.

I am also looking to find as much written material, scholarly that is, from open theists, and I hope there are those in this group that can help me with that.

I hope I am received in this group, and I will do my best to ensure that my posts and comments are as charitable as possible. I won't be one that trolls the board to stir up trouble. I just want to learn as much as I can.

Thanks,

Brian Orr

You'll be received

BrianJOrr

Thank you all! And yes, that is my book. I have never been to TOL. So, this general forum is not just open theism; rather, the OT forum is a separate forum within TOL?

Thanks

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Thank you all! And yes, that is my book. I have never been to TOL. So, this general forum is not just open theism; rather, the OT forum is a separate forum within TOL?

Thanks
Yes, and you have to request to join that sub-forum in order to be able to post in it.

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Welcome Mr. Orr.

I am a fellow-Reformer and will be interested in your questions put to the Open Theists.