Intimacy with God?

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
For me, intimacy with God generally means wallowing in the excellency of His truth that I have hid in my heart. This seems to stick with me throughout the day and I find myself reflecting on how the world is so bankrupt but God's plan is so rich.

Jamie Gigliotti

For me, intimacy with God generally means wallowing in the excellency of His truth that I have hid in my heart. This seems to stick with me throughout the day and I find myself reflecting on how the world is so bankrupt but God's plan is so rich.

Thank you George for your perspective. Sorry for the slow response.

In your intimacy with Him, would you say His Spiritual presence is felt by you?

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
Thank you George for your perspective. Sorry for the slow response.

Hi Jamie - always appreciate your comments. You are probably not looking for this kind of reply but here it is anyway - lol

Quick answer for me is - No. Not in the way most people think of it. I don't trust feelings by themselves.

Spiritual presence, for me, takes the form of truth. I am always careful about emotions. It's relatively easy to know when physical or mental things supplant truth, but feelings manifest in ways very close to the spiritual and can be untrue (deviously unbiblical).

Because of this, I try to make sure sentiment does not fool me by masquerading as spiritual. In fact, whenever I think of Spirit I think of Truth and vice versa. If I can keep them together, I am less likely to be fooled and there are a lot of people who are fooled these days. Be careful of those who accuse you of quenching the Spirit by being faithful to Truth.

Jamie Gigliotti

Hi Jamie - always appreciate your comments. You are probably not looking for this kind of reply but here it is anyway - lol

Quick answer for me is - No. Not in the way most people think of it. I don't trust feelings by themselves.

Spiritual presence, for me, takes the form of truth. I am always careful about emotions. It's relatively easy to know when physical or mental things supplant truth, but feelings manifest in ways very close to the spiritual and can be untrue (deviously unbiblical).

Because of this, I try to make sure sentiment does not fool me by masquerading as spiritual. In fact, whenever I think of Spirit I think of Truth and vice versa. If I can keep them together, I am less likely to be fooled and there are a lot of people who are fooled these days. Be careful of those who accuse you of quenching the Spirit by being faithful to Truth.

Some excellent perspectives to add to the topic. Thanks brother.

First thing that comes to mind is how we tend to seperate the emotional experience and the Spiritual experience. The fruit of the Spirit, love, joy, peace point to the positive emotional character He can shine through us (Galatians 5:22) in contrast to the dark emotions that literally can consume us: rage, hate, bitterness, jealousy to name a few. It seems only a rational step for us to see these are Spiritual in nature and not of the Light.

You also mentioned the truth being inline or equivalent with the Spiritual. What I hear you saying is test the Spirits. God does not contradict Himself, or His word. Only God's Spirit brings Agape love, love that Paul beautifully describes in 1 Corinthians 13. Jesus call the Holy Spirit 'the Spirit of Truth' that 'will guide us into all truth'; and undoubtedly they are of the same supernatural substance.
The truth itself, I tend to view as objective reality. The Spiritual reality does tend to push our minds beyond our limits, but that does not minimalize the reality non-the less.

My intentions are not to boast about my spirituality, by to encourage others to find a deeper love and intimacy with God through Jesus and His Spirit. The emotional connections can even move to what could only be described as supernatural, peace that surpasses all understanding. And a presence that words could never describe the goodness of.

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
You also mentioned the truth being inline or equivalent with the Spiritual. What I hear you saying is test the Spirits.

If you have a minute, have a look at my thread "The non-abortion". This was not an abortion issue; I just saw it as one who, by God's grace, escaped the death camps and lives to tell the tale.

I saw this as an example of how God used the trust and faith of these parents, in His truth, to inspire victory in others. My personal response was emotional.

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
I'll give you an example on the other side.

A few years ago I had a conversation with a co-worker; actually one of my bosses. They approached me because they knew I was "religious", so-called, with a personal story I was supposed to appreciate.

The mother, apparently a well loved person, had died in August and had always tended a garden of roses in the backyard. This person saw one rose still blooming in December and was convinced it was the mother sending notice to the family that she was all right. I was asked to give an opinion about it.

It did not go well!

Jamie Gigliotti

If you have a minute, have a look at my thread "The non-abortion". This was not an abortion issue; I just saw it as one who, by God's grace, escaped the death camps and lives to tell the tale.

I saw this as an example of how God used the trust and faith of these parents, in His truth, to inspire victory in others. My personal response was emotional.

That was an awesome testimony of the goodness and love of our Lord Jesus.
George from what I've seen of you and your heart on here I have little doubt that you have responded to His love, Grace and forgiveness for you personally with love, that you share with Him.
"Her sins, which are many, are forgiven--for she loves much." Luke 7:47

And anyone who genuinely has felt His love and forgiveness through His Spirit has shared in intimacy with Him... The question then seems to arise are we going to go deeper still as He calls us; considering everything rubbish compared to knowing our great, wonderful, loving Father and His Son our Saviour Jesus Christ.

"Open the eyes of heart Lord"!
He is never far from any of us.

Jamie Gigliotti

I'll give you an example on the other side.

A few years ago I had a conversation with a co-worker; actually one of my bosses. They approached me because they knew I was "religious", so-called, with a personal story I was supposed to appreciate.

The mother, apparently a well loved person, had died in August and had always tended a garden of roses in the backyard. This person saw one rose still blooming in December and was convinced it was the mother sending notice to the family that she was all right. I was asked to give an opinion about it.

It did not go well!
Not surprising they only wanted validation, not the truth.

Jamie Gigliotti

I find intimacy with Him, by spending time with Him in His word; by worshipping Him from my heart in singing and speaking praises audibly and silently; sharing His love and truth with others; honoring and confessing to Him at communion.

Any other ways you do?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame

It is felt by every person. He has poured his Spirit out on all flesh and dealt a measure of faith to ever person. People choose to reject him.

Jamie Gigliotti

It is felt by every person. He has poured his Spirit out on all flesh and dealt a measure of faith to ever person. People choose to reject him.

Nick I'm sure you know there is a difference between the convicting work of the Spirit and an adoptive Son and Daughter filled with the Spirit in love and intimacy unto His fruit overflowing through them.

Jamie Gigliotti

I'm just about to give this subject a rest. But I wonder why so much silence on the issue?

Is it because intimacy is a scary subject for most, or have many here not personally experienced Him and His love?

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
I'm just about to give this subject a rest. But I wonder why so much silence on the issue?

Is it because intimacy is a scary subject for most, or have many here not personally experienced Him and His love?

I think its because they are too busy hating other Christians in the KJV thread.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
"According to the Gospel, God offers us His indwelling presence where spirit touches spirit and the deepest, truest intimacy results." Ravi Zacharias

The whole reason for it all; His love that He wants us to willingly share in through Jesus, the reconcilling work of the cross, and His Spirit. His love filling out hearts, Him filling us and demonstrated through us in what we say and do.

"So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in Him." 1 John 4:16

Do you know Him intimately?
There is nothing greater!
Have you read Intimacy with the Almighty?

glorydaz

My intentions are not to boast about my spirituality, by to encourage others to find a deeper love and intimacy with God through Jesus and His Spirit. The emotional connections can even move to what could only be described as supernatural, peace that surpasses all understanding. And a presence that words could never describe the goodness of.

It isn't because it's "scary", nor is it "because many have not experienced Him and His love". All true believers know intimacy with God the very minute the Holy Spirit comes to dwell in them. That's intimate. That's when the love of God is shed abroad on our hearts. We don't have to learn to be intimate or take lessons on how to be intimate....it's what HE accomplishes in us as we are being conformed into the image of the Son.

It's why I keep silent on this issue. It's private.....it's intimate....it's personal. And, in my opinion, it absolutely does leave room for boasting. Man must ever guard against the temptation to appear more holy and closer to God than the next guy.

2 Corinthians 10:12
For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.​

Jamie Gigliotti

It isn't because it's "scary", nor is it "because many have not experienced Him and His love". All true believers know intimacy with God the very minute the Holy Spirit comes to dwell in them. That's intimate. That's when the love of God is shed abroad on our hearts. We don't have to learn to be intimate or take lessons on how to be intimate....it's what HE accomplishes in us as we are being conformed into the image of the Son.

It's why I keep silent on this issue. It's private.....it's intimate....it's personal. And, in my opinion, it absolutely does leave room for boasting. Man must ever guard against the temptation to appear more holy and closer to God than the next guy.

2 Corinthians 10:12
For we dare not make ourselves of the number, or compare ourselves with some that commend themselves: but they measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise.​
So do you play any part in intimacy with Him?

If God desires intimacy with us should we not encourage others to seek it and Him?

glorydaz

So do you play any part in intimacy with Him?

If God desires intimacy with us should we not encourage others to seek it and Him?

That's like saying we can't be intimate with our spouse unless we talk about the how-to's with our girl friends. What happens there? I'll tell you. Pretty soon we have to put on a show where we are more intimate than our neighbor. We begin comparing ourselves among ourselves. People shouldn't want to do that.

I think people have to be very careful when they think God wants them to do anything for the benefit of others. It means their focus is on themselves DOING something. Why are they looking at what others may lack to begin with? I see you asking certain ones if they have thus or so in regards to their feelings of intimacy. It seems very disingenuous to me, and I can't help but question your motives. You may think they are only good, but it isn't working for you....for the reasons I have mentioned already.