Inerrancy of Scripture

Johnny

Why is it that the Bible is considered inerrant by Christians? I'm a Christian struggling with the concept of inerrancy. I've been told that it is a matter of faith, and I would agree. However, I cannot find the reason we have that faith. What is the basis for that belief? It seems like a bunch of people just got together and said "ok let's believe this".

I've heard 2 Timothy 3:16 often quoted, which says, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness."

Two points about this verse:

(1) What exactly is inspiration? I was always taught that every single word was almost dictated in some sort of divine manner. Inspiration doesn't really mean that though. An inspired work doesn't always reflect the original inspiration. One can be inspired by God to write about God, but it is still a human writing. Do Christians honestly believe that God guided their hand down to the dotting of the i and crossing of the t?

(2) Scripture, as Timothy knew it, was essentially the Jewish writings of the OT. Further, we do not have all the books in our Old Testament that were considered Jewish scripture. Thus, I don't now that it is intellectually honest to attribute that verse to the modern scripture.

Further, it seems that our modern Bible was decided on by a group of guys a few hundred years after Christ died. Some books they rejected, others they kept. Are we to believe that they were also inspired by God to "make the right decision"?

God bless,
John

Johnny

I seem to have implied that Timothy wrote 2 Timothy. Apologies. If I recall correctly it was Paul. I can't find the edit button to change it.

Mr. Coffee

Hi Johnny,

The docrine of inerrancy is logically inherent in the doctrine of inspiration.

And over a period of time a set of writings were generally recognised as unique.

"Also, this is why we constantly thank God, because when you received the message about God that you heard from us, you welcomed it not as a human message, but as it truly is, the message of God, which also works effectively in you believers." (1Thes. 2.13)

Agape4Robin

Johnny said:
Why is it that the Bible is considered inerrant by Christians? I'm a Christian struggling with the concept of inerrancy. I've been told that it is a matter of faith, and I would agree. However, I cannot find the reason we have that faith. What is the basis for that belief? It seems like a bunch of people just got together and said "ok let's believe this".

I've heard 2 Timothy 3:16 often quoted, which says, "All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness."

(1) What exactly is inspiration? I was always taught that every single word was almost dictated in some sort of divine manner. Inspiration doesn't really mean that though. An inspired work doesn't always reflect the original inspiration. One can be inspired by God to write about God, but it is still a human writing. Do Christians honestly believe that God guided their hand down to the dotting of the i and crossing of the t?

(2) Scripture, as Timothy knew it, was essentially the Jewish writings of the OT. Further, we do not have all the books in our Old Testament that were considered Jewish scripture. Thus, I don't now that it is intellectually honest to attribute that verse to the modern scripture.

Further, it seems that our modern Bible was decided on by a group of guys a few hundred years after Christ died. Some books they rejected, others they kept. Are we to believe that they were also inspired by God to "make the right decision"?

God bless,
John
Hi Johnny-
The greek translation for the word used in 2Tim 3:16; inspiration in this context is theopneustos. Literally translated "divinely breathed". This would show God having an active role in determining scripture instead of a passive role. God was not the muse. Jesus, Himself was the Word and the scriptures continue to "breathe" new life into many men and women today....2000 years later. How amazing is that!!

As far as the inerrancy issue goes, when we take original manuscripts (of any sort) and translate them into another language, misunderstandings are common. I recommend a Strong's Exhaustive Bible Concordance....you will be amazed at what you will learn.

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Hello, Johnny! Welcome to TOL. My material on the Old Testament is kind of long, so I'll save the New Testament material for a follow-up post.

The Old Testament

If you believe that Jesus is God the Son, then you should have no trouble believing that the Old Testament (which is made up of three sections: the Law, the Prophets, and the Writings) is God's authoritative word, because Jesus affirmed it:

Then He said to them, "These are the words which I spoke to you while I
was still with you, that all things must be fulfilled which were written in
the Law of Moses and the Prophets and the Psalms* concerning Me.
"
And He
opened their understanding, that they might comprehend the Scriptures. Luke
24:44-45​

*Here Christ used "the Psalms" to refer to "the Writings." It's a Hebrew figure of speech in with the beginning of something is used to refer to the whole. Likewise, sometimes "the Law" is used to refer to five books of Moses, but sometimes it is used to refer to the enter Old Testament, since it is the first section. It's similar to when we might refer to an author's "bestselling title" when we're actually talking about his "bestselling book."

And as if that weren't enough...

I've emboldened places where Christ refers to Old Testament Scripture authoritatively, and I've italicized where He has quoted a specific passage.

And He answered and said to them, "Have you not read that He who made them at the beginning 'made them male and female,' and said, 'For this reason a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and the two shall become one flesh'?" Matthew 19:4-5 (also Mark 10:6-8)

So God created man in His own image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them. Genesis 1:27

Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh. Genesis 2:24

"And as it was in the days of Noah, so it will be also in the days of the Son of Man: They ate, they drank, they married wives, they were given in marriage, until the day that Noah entered the ark, and the flood came and destroyed them all. " Luke 17:26-27

Jesus said to them, "Most assuredly, I say to you, before Abraham was, I AM." - John 8:58

Then Moses said to God, "Indeed, when I come to the children of Israel and say to them, "The God of your fathers has sent me to you,' and they say to me, "What is His name?' what shall I say to them?"
And God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM." And He said, "Thus you shall say to the children of Israel, 'I AM has sent me to you.'" Exodus 3:13-14
[See Genesis for the story of Abraham. Note also that Exodus cites the six-day account of creation (Exodus 20:11), and that Jesus credits Moses as the author of Genesis, since it is one of the books of "the Law of Moses." (Luke
24:44)]

Jesus answered and said to them, "You are mistaken, not knowing the Scriptures nor the power of God. For in the resurrection they neither marry nor are given in marriage, but are like angels of God in heaven. But concerning the resurrection of the dead, have you not read what was spoken to you by God, saying, 'I am the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob'? God is not the God of the dead, but of the living." Matthew 22:29-32 (also Mark 12:24-26)

"But even Moses showed in the burning bush passage that the dead are raised, when he called the Lord 'the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.'" Luke 20:37

Now Moses was tending the flock of Jethro his father-in-law, the priest of Midian. And he led the flock to the back of the desert, and came to Horeb, the mountain of God. And the Angel of the LORD appeared to him in a flame of fire from the midst of a bush. So he looked, and behold, the bush was burning with fire, but the bush was not consumed. Then Moses said, "I will now turn aside and see this great sight, why the bush does not burn."
So when the LORD saw that he turned aside to look, God called to him from the midst of the bush and said, "Moses, Moses!"
And he said, "Here I am."
Then He said, "Do not draw near this place. Take your sandals off your feet, for the place where you stand is holy ground." Moreover He said, "I am the God of your father—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob" And Moses hid his face, for he was afraid to look upon God… Moreover God said to Moses, "Thus you shall say to the children of Israel: 'The LORD God of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you. This is My name forever, and this is My memorial to all generations.'" Exodus 3:1-6, 15

But when the Pharisees heard that He had silenced the Sadducees, they gathered together. Then one of them, a lawyer, asked Him a question, testing Him, and saying, "Teacher, which is the great commandment in the law?"
Jesus said to him, "'You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.' This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets." Matthew 22:34-40 (also Mark 12:28-34; Luke 10:25-28)

"You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength." Deuteronomy 6:5

"You shall not hate your brother in your heart. You shall surely rebuke your neighbor, and not bear sin because of him. You shall not take vengeance, nor bear any grudge against the children of your people, but you shall love your neighbor as yourself: I am the LORD." Leviticus 19:17-18

Now behold, one came and said to Him, "Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life?"
So He said to him, "Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments."
He said to Him, "Which ones?"
Jesus said, "'You shall not murder,' 'You shall not commit adultery,' 'You shall not steal,' 'You shall not bear false witness,' 'Honor your father and your mother,' and, 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.'" Matthew 19:16-19

"Honor your father and your mother, that your days may be long upon the land which the LORD your God is giving you.
"You shall not murder.
"You shall not commit adultery.
"You shall not steal.
"You shall not bear false witness against your neighbor." Exodus 20:12-16 (also Deuteronomy 5:16-20)

[Leviticus 19:17-18 referenced again]

Then the scribes and Pharisees who were from Jerusalem came to Jesus, saying, "Why do Your disciples transgress the tradition of the elders? For they do not wash their hands when they eat bread."
He answered and said to them, "Why do you also transgress the commandment of God because of your tradition? For God commanded, saying, 'Honor your father and your mother'; and, 'He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.' But you say, 'Whoever says to his father or mother, "Whatever profit you might have received from me is a gift to God"-- then he need not honor his father or mother.' Thus you have made the commandment of God of no effect by your tradition. Hypocrites! Well did Isaiah prophesy about you, saying:

'These people draw near to Me with their mouth,
And honor Me with their lips,
But their heart is far from Me.
And in vain they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.'
"

When He had called the multitude to Himself, He said to them, "Hear and understand: Not what goes into the mouth defiles a man; but what comes out of the mouth, this defiles a man." Matthew 15:1-11 (also Mark 7:5-16)

[Exodus 20:12; Deuteronomy 5:16 referenced again]

"And he who curses his father or his mother shall surely be put to death." Exodus 21:17 (see Deuteronomy 21:18-21 for more detail and clarification.)

Therefore the Lord said:
"Inasmuch as these people draw near with their mouths
And honor Me with their lips,
But have removed their hearts far from Me,
And their fear toward Me is taught by the commandment of men," Isaiah 29:13

But He said to them, "Have you never read what David did when he was in need and hungry, he and those with him: how he went into the house of God in the days of Abiathar the high priest, and ate the showbread, which is not lawful to eat except for the priests, and also gave some to those who were with him?"
And He said to them, "The Sabbath was made for man, and not man for the Sabbath. Therefore the Son of Man is also Lord of the Sabbath." - Mark 2:25-28

And the priest answered David and said, "There is no common bread on hand; but there is holy bread, if the young men have at least kept themselves from women."
Then David answered the priest, and said to him, "Truly, women have been kept from us about three days since I came out. And the vessels of the young men are holy, and the bread is in effect common, even though it was consecrated in the vessel this day."
So the priest gave him holy bread; for there was no bread there but the showbread which had been taken from before the LORD, in order to put hot bread in its place on the day when it was taken away. 1 Samuel 21:4-6

Then Jesus returned in the power of the Spirit to Galilee, and news of Him went out through all the surrounding region. And He taught in their synagogues, being glorified by all.
So He came to Nazareth, where He had been brought up. And as His custom was, He went into the synagogue on the Sabbath day, and stood up to read. And He was handed the book of the prophet Isaiah. And when He had opened the book, He found the place where it was written:
'The Spirit of the LORD is upon Me,
Because He has anointed Me
To preach the gospel to the poor;
He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted,
To proclaim liberty to the captives
And recovery of sight to the blind,
To set at liberty those who are oppressed;
To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD.'
"
Then He closed the book, and gave it back to the attendant and sat down. And the eyes of all who were in the synagogue were fixed on Him. And He began to say to them, "Today this Scripture is fulfilled in your hearing." So all bore witness to Him, and marveled at the gracious words which proceeded out of His mouth. And they said, "Is this not Joseph's son?" Luke 4:14-22

"The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon Me,
Because the LORD has anointed Me
To preach good tidings to the poor;
He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted,
To proclaim liberty to the captives,
And the opening of the prison to those who are bound;
To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD,
And the day of vengeance of our God;
To comfort all who mourn," Isaiah 61:1-2a

And He said to them, "When I sent you without money bag, knapsack, and sandals, did you lack anything?"
So they said, "Nothing."
Then He said to them, "But now, he who has a money bag, let him take it, and likewise a knapsack; and he who has no sword, let him sell his garment and buy one. For I say to you that this which is written must still be accomplished in Me: 'And He was numbered with the transgressors.' For the things concerning Me have an end." Luke 22:35-56

"Or do you think that I cannot now pray to My Father, and He will provide Me with more than twelve legions of angels? How then could the Scriptures be fulfilled, that it must happen thus?"
In that hour Jesus said to the multitudes, "Have you come out, as against a robber, with swords and clubs to take Me? I sat daily with you, teaching in the temple, and you did not seize Me. But all this was done that the Scriptures of the prophets might be fulfilled."
Then all the disciples forsook Him and fled. Matthew 26:53-56

Therefore I will divide Him a portion with the great,
And He shall divide the spoil with the strong,
Because He poured out His soul unto death,
And He was numbered with the transgressors,
And He bore the sin of many,
And made intercession for the transgressors Isaiah 53:12

Jesus said to them, "Have you never read in the Scriptures:
'The stone which the builders rejected
Has become the chief cornerstone.
This was the LORD's doing,
And it is marvelous in our eyes'
?"
Matthew 21:42 (see also Mark 12:10)

The stone which the builders rejected
Has become the chief cornerstone.
This was the LORD's doing;
It is marvelous in our eyes. - Psalm 118:22-23

"I do not speak concerning all of you. I know whom I have chosen; but that the Scripture may be fulfilled, 'He who eats bread with Me has lifted up his heel against Me.'" John 13:18

Even my own familiar friend in whom I trusted,
Who ate my bread,
Has lifted up his heel against me. Psalm 41:9

Then the blind and the lame came to Him in the temple, and He healed them. But when the chief priests and scribes saw the wonderful things that He did, and the children crying out in the temple and saying, "Hosanna to the Son of David!" they were indignant and said to Him, "Do You hear what these are saying?"
And Jesus said to them, "Yes. Have you never read,
'Out of the mouth of babes and nursing infants
You have perfected praise'
?"
Matthew 21:14-16

Out of the mouth of babes and nursing infants
You have ordained strength,
Because of Your enemies,
That You may silence the enemy and the avenger. Psalm 8:2

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The New Testament

The Gospels

The fiery whirlwind from Ezekiel 1, the wheels from Ezekiel 10, and the throne from Revelation 4 each have four faces:
A lion - symbolic of royalty / a king
An ox (Ezekiel 1), a calf (Revelation 4), or a cherub (Ezekiel 10) - symbolic of a servant
A man - representing a man. (No mystery there.)
An eagle - symbolic of deity

The four canonized gospels present Christ from each of these perspectives, which is especially apparent by the genealogies they record:
Matthew - Christ as king, son of David. His genealogy is traced to Abraham, the father of the nation of Israel. His lineage is traced from David to Joseph, who is not His natural father, but the one from whom He inherited the throne.
1:1 A record of the genealogy of Jesus Christ the son of David, the son of Abraham:

Mark - Christ as a servant. A servant's genealogy is not considered important, and no genealogical information is given in Mark.

Luke - Christ as the Son of Man - His genealogy is recorded from Adam, the first man, through David to Mary, his natural mother. (Luke 3:23-38)

John - Christ as God - "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God... And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us..." John 1:1, 14

The traditional order of the Gospels seems to be based on the order the faces of the throne are named in Revelation 4:7.

1 & 2 Peter, 1, 2, & 3 John, Revelation

The apostles (Peter and John) were chosen and given authority by Christ himself during his Earthly ministry. Their ability to perform miracles was a sign of their legitimate authority, as had been with the prophets and Jesus before them.

Paul’s epistles

Paul, the apostle to the Gentiles, also claimed to be chosen and trained directly by Christ, but it was about a year after the resurrection. He insisted that he did not receive his teachings from men, but rather through direct revelation.

Galatians 1
But I make known to you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached by me is not according to man. For I neither received it from man, nor was I taught it, but it came through the revelation of Jesus Christ.
For you have heard of my former conduct in Judaism, how I persecuted the church of God beyond measure and tried to destroy it. And I advanced in Judaism beyond many of my contemporaries in my own nation, being more exceedingly zealous for the traditions of my fathers.
But when it pleased God, who separated me from my mother's womb and called me through His grace, to reveal His Son in me, that I might preach Him among the Gentiles, I did not immediately confer with flesh and blood, nor did I go up to Jerusalem to those who were apostles before me; but I went to Arabia, and returned again to Damascus. Galations 1:11-17​

Peter affirmed Paul’s epistles as Scripture in his second Epistle:
and consider that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation--as also our beloved brother Paul, according to the wisdom given to him, has written to you, as also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things, in which are some things hard to understand, which untaught and unstable people twist to their own destruction, as they do also the rest of the Scriptures. 2 Peter 3:15-16​

James’ epistle

James, Jesus’ (half-)brother, became the leader of the church in Israel and apparently replaced the apostle James (John’s brother) who was killed (Acts 12:2). Paul counted him as one of the apostles:
But I saw none of the other apostles except James, the Lord's brother. Galatians 1:19​

Acts of the Apostles

Acts was written by Luke: a doctor, a Gospel writer, and a great historian who was apparently trusted by the apostles. His account is very important, bridging the gap between the Gospel story and the launch of Paul’s unique ministry and message.

The Epistle to the Hebrews and Jude’s Epistle

The author of the Epistle to the Hebrews is unknown. Therefore I cannot validate the author’s authority, per se. But it points out how the symbolism of the priesthood and sacrifices of the Old Covenant pointed to Christ. It is consistent with the rest of the Scriptures and was apparently accepted as Scripture, despite the fact that the author’s identity is a mystery.

Jude was another of Christ’s (half-) brothers, but I don’t know why exactly his epistle is considered to be inspired.

Paul did write that “All Scripture is given by inspiration of God” in 2 Timothy 3:17, and I know that was one of Paul’s later epistle. It may be that Hebrews and Jude were written (and generally recognized as inspired) when Paul wrote 2 Timothy. But I don't know for certain.

Last edited:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Johnny said:
Biblical faith is not "blind" but rather it is based upon substantive evidence. I highly recommend that you read Clete's posts in the thread Faith vs. Reason.

You mean as if the authors were used like mindless puppets? No, I don't think that's how it worked. (Some Christians surely do though.)

I think the authors may have been similar to administrative assistants. In some cases they may have taken God's dictation word-for-word whether or not they understood why God was saying what He was saying. In other cases the authors may have written reports based on communications with under His supervision. Either way, the result is that Scriptures are authoritave and true.

(2) Scripture, as [Paul] knew it, was essentially the Jewish writings of the OT.
But Paul began his epistle to the Galatians by claiming that he received what he was saying through direct revelation from Christ. And Peter referred to Paul's epistles as scriptures in 2 Peter 3:15-16. So it's not as if the New Testament authors weren't aware that new scriptures were being written.

Further, we do not have all the books in our Old Testament that were considered Jewish scripture.
How do you know that?

They affirmed and made record of what was already accepted among believers since these books were written. And as I showed in my previous post, there are good reasons that the books that are in there are in there.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
"Scripture is inerrant."

Is our understanding of Scripture inerrant as well? How do biblical contradictions negate the power of Christ? Why does Jesus die on the day before Passover in John, while in the other gospels he is crucified on Passover? Why is the sign posted above Jesus' body on the cross is quoted differently in all four accounts?
What is the main difference between the Jesus of the four gospels and the Christ of Paul?

Mr. Coffee

A7,

Where are you going with the Q about Jesus and Paul? (There are answers about the other things and they aren't hard to find). Just focus on th Jesus and Paul question before the thread explodes into some kind of apologetics Hydra.

Johnny

Thank you all for your responses, they were very informative.

How do you know that?
I first learned about it in a Judaism class I took last year.

They affirmed and made record of what was already accepted among believers since these books were written. And as I showed in my previous post, there are good reasons that the books that are in there are in there.
I just have a problem with a bunch of people deciding what was inspired and what wasn't inspired. There are many books in the Bible that never claim to be inspired but are included anyways. That has always just seemed a bit dubious to me.

Thanks again for your responses!

Caledvwlch

Not to be a bummer here, but how does one reconcile the "infallibility" of scripture with the obvious discrepancies in things like the geneological records (i.e. Matthew intentionally leaving out some names to achieve the perfect 14-14-14 effect). Or the two different versions of the David and Goliath story (in one, David was a harp player for Saul, in the other, the first day Saul and David met was the day he slew Goliath). If ALL scripture is inspired and thus innerrant, can two contradictory accounts both be correct?

Granite

Hall of Fame
Or Matthew saying that "according to the prophets" he will be called a Nazarene?

The entire verse is a total invention on Matthew's part.:think:

Hmmm...

servent101

Johnny
I just have a problem with a bunch of people deciding what was inspired and what wasn't inspired. There are many books in the Bible that never claim to be inspired but are included anyways. That has always just seemed a bit dubious to me.

Regardless of what this or that group of people say is inspired or not - one has to determine for oneself if what is Written is Inspired... those who try to force people to accept that this or that, and only this or that is inspired, ten years later find out they are surrounded by a bunch of idiots, and their lives may as well of been thrown away.

I always remember the time, place and circumstance in which the Scriptures were Written in, and if anything seems a little strange, it is usually the "way" whatever seems a bit strange, had to be Spoken to those who were listening - For example, Jesus saying that He is the Only way to the Father - to those people in that time and place, within their isolated geographical location - YES it was, but do not get me wrong, no one who is Spiritual denies the Christ - though the Only Way being used to discredit all other Scriptures is definitely rejected by those who are Spiritual.

With Christ's Love

Servent101

Caledvwlch

granite1010 said:
Or Matthew saying that "according to the prophets" he will be called a Nazarene?

Hmmm...
Not to mention Matthews invention of the virgin birth because he couldn't stomach the thought of the Messiah being of Moabite descent.

Mr. Coffee

granite1010 said:

Hmmm...
The Messiah is referred to a "the branch" in Isaiah 11:1, Jeremiah 23:5, 33:5; and probably Zechariah 3:8; 6:12. The consonants in the word "branch" are identical to those in "Nazarene" (the Hebrew Scriptures were originally written without consonants). In Matthew's culture, the similarity would be considered meaningful.

No doubt this won't pass muster in Granite's Rules Of Authentic Prophecy, but we'll get over it just fine.

Caledvwlch

ilyatur said:
The Messiah is referred to a "the branch" in Isaiah 11:1, Jeremiah 23:5, 33:5; and probably Zechariah 3:8; 6:12. The consonants in the word "branch" are identical to those in "Nazarene" (the Hebrew Scriptures were originally written without consonants). In Matthew's culture, the similarity would be considered meaningful.

No doubt this won't pass muster in Granite's Rules Of Authentic Prophecy, but we'll get over it just fine.
Maybe so, but nobody has yet to tell me why two "infallible" geneologies which disagree are both "infallible".

Zakath

Resident Atheist
ilyatur said:
Begging the question, of course, of whether the gospel attributed to Matthew was actually written in Hebrew or Aramaic and not originally written in Greek; in which case the point does not stand.

Caledvwlch

Zakath said:
Begging the question, of course, of whether the gospel attributed to Matthew was actually written in Hebrew or Aramaic and not originally written in Greek; in which case the point does not stand.
Wow, good point. Why didn't I think of that?

Zakath

Resident Atheist
Caledvwlch said:
Maybe so, but nobody has yet to tell me why two "infallible" geneologies which disagree are both "infallible".
This one has been discussed in (painful) detail here on TOL before but I believe the threads have been "pruned" to free up server space.