Inappropriate test question at a Charlotte NC school

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
This is concerning a biology test question at a Charlotte public school:

'Bootie' problem at CMS? Mom says offensive question went too far

A Charlotte mother is expressing concern after a class assignment she considers offensive was given to high school students. Some say it has racial undertones.

“I was completely stunned,” the mother said. “This is not appropriate language at all for the children in the school.”

The question was from a test on genetics.

"LaShamanda has a heterozygous big bootie, the dominant trait. Her man Fontavius has a small bootie which is recessive. They get married and have a baby named LaPrincess," the biology assignment prompts students.

The assignment then continues to ask "What is the probability that LaPrincess will inherit her mama's big bootie?"

The mother says the assignment was given last Monday and she reached out to the teacher for an explanation for the question.

"I am extremely concerned that this type of language is being used and considered expectable [sic] to be issued to students," she said while asking for an explanation.

According to an image of the assignment provided to WBTV, the questions before and after the "bootie" question revolved around "stinky feet" and the height of plants....
more at link

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...-cms-mom-says.html#.VGlYbMkjaO9#storylink=cpy

The school first didnt act like it was that big of a deal, but after people reported it to local news, then the school district finally stated that it wasnt a CMS district wide test and the question would no longer appear on tests.

The teacher said the worksheet had been passed down to her by other teachers who have been using it. It was also reportedly part of the "Summer School Biology Notebook Packet" that teachers were given by the school district.

WBTV's Dedrick Russell reached out to the school district to ask about the worksheet. "The worksheet does not appear to be a document created by CMS," the officials said. "The school has taken the worksheet out of circulation and requested its teachers to discontinue using it."

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...-cms-mom-says.html#.VGlYbMkjaO9#storylink=cpy

What i would like to know is who actually allowed that and put it there to begin with? I think that should be pointed out because obviously their judgement is severely messed up and the finger pointing goes both ways.

What do you think?

Do you think thats inappropriate and why?

Do you think anyone who would allow this should be able to teach?

Buzzword

I laughed probably way too hard, but yes that is an idiotic and overtly racist approach by the school district.

Reminds me of a test question in my wife's Developmental Psychology class that she took to her departmental dean in protest of the "correct" answer.

Based on the information given, choose the most likely answer.
Jose is sixteen years old. He drives an older vehicle. He gets into a car accident. What is the reason for this?

A) He's a teenager who isn't very experienced as a driver.
B) His car was in need of repair.
C) He was distracted by the music playing on the radio.
D) He was drinking.

The professor declared D the "correct" answer, apparently based on nothing but Jose's supposed ethnicity.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Can't have kids talking about booties in school, now. But yeah, pretty stupid. Problem is, similarly stupid stuff gets by every day in business and government.

Most of the time, the racism is a bit more subtle than that. Most of the time.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Connie is to intellect what McDonald's is to quality hamburgers.

Do you think that the teacher is member of the ultra liberal National Education Association?

Proof! Liberal National Education Association Members are Racist

TAMPA, Fla. — A new study by a liberal "civil rights project" of data collected by the liberal Department of Education provides prima facie proof that the liberal National Education Association, the union representing most of the nation's teachers, is racist.

Here are the stunning facts.

Nearly 1 in 6 African-American students was suspended from school during the 2009-10 academic year, more than three times the rate of their white peers. That compares with about 1 in 20 white students, researchers at The Civil Rights Project, based at the University of California, Los Angeles, conclude. They use data collected from about half of all school districts in the nation for that year by the U.S. Department of Education's office for civil rights.

But it gets worse.

For black children with disabilities, the rate was even higher: 1 in 4 such students was suspended at least once that year. In some districts, as many as 1 out of every 2 black students was suspended.

"These numbers show clear and consistent racial and ethnic disparities in suspensions across the country," said John H. Jackson, the president of the Schott Foundation for Public Education, based in Cambridge, Mass., which supports equity in schooling for all students and efforts to improve outcomes for African-American boys. "We are not providing (these students) a fair and substantive opportunity to learn. Any entity not serious about addressing this becomes a co-conspirator in the demise of these children."

http://www.creators.com/opinion/jos...education-association-members-are-racist.html

Shame on you liberal teachers and the fascist teachers union you bow down to.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
I laughed probably way too hard, but yes that is an idiotic and overtly racist approach by the school district.

Reminds me of a test question in my wife's Developmental Psychology class that she took to her departmental dean in protest of the "correct" answer.

The professor declared D the "correct" answer, apparently based on nothing but Jose's supposed ethnicity.

Where is "all of the above" in that test question? :eek:

Seriously though, if i would have gotten that i would have chosen "B" based on the fact that in the limited information given, it said he had an old car - so out of those choices given, that actually would have been the most logical answer.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Do you think that the teacher is member of the ultra liberal National Education Association?

I never joined. I don't believe teachers should be in unions.

Proof! Liberal National Education Association Members are Racist

TAMPA, Fla. — A new study by a liberal "civil rights project" of data collected by the liberal Department of Education provides prima facie proof that the liberal National Education Association, the union representing most of the nation's teachers, is racist.

Is this like your "most Nazis were homos" story?

Here are the stunning facts.

Nearly 1 in 6 African-American students was suspended from school during the 2009-10 academic year, more than three times the rate of their white peers. That compares with about 1 in 20 white students, researchers at The Civil Rights Project, based at the University of California, Los Angeles, conclude. They use data collected from about half of all school districts in the nation for that year by the U.S. Department of Education's office for civil rights.

Teachers don't expel students from schools, moron. Administrators do. Some states allow administrators to join the union, but mostly, they don't. You built a strawman, and he's whipping your tail, Connie

But it gets worse.

Of course. It's another reality-free Connie rant. And of course, reality never kept Connie from belching out comical accusations:

Shame on you liberal teachers and the fascist teachers union you bow down to.

Perfect.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
This is concerning a biology test question at a Charlotte public school:

'Bootie' problem at CMS? Mom says offensive question went too far

more at link

The school first didnt act like it was that big of a deal, but after people reported it to local news, then the school district finally stated that it wasnt a CMS district wide test and the question would no longer appear on tests.

The teacher said the worksheet had been passed down to her by other teachers who have been using it. It was also reportedly part of the "Summer School Biology Notebook Packet" that teachers were given by the school district.

WBTV's Dedrick Russell reached out to the school district to ask about the worksheet. "The worksheet does not appear to be a document created by CMS," the officials said. "The school has taken the worksheet out of circulation and requested its teachers to discontinue using it."

What i would like to know is who actually allowed that and put it there to begin with? I think that should be pointed out because obviously their judgement is severely messed up and the finger pointing goes both ways.

What do you think?

Do you think thats inappropriate and why?

Do you think anyone who would allow this should be able to teach?
So, what's the answer?
Is the kid going to have the genetic tendency to be big butted, or not?

musterion

Charlotte-Mecklenburg Public is predominantly black, I'm led to understand. So I have to wonder the skin color of the teacher using the question...it might not necessarily have been white. If it wasn't, that might explain the relative lack of uproar. Awaiting further data.

allblack

BANNED
Banned

:rotfl:

Hey come on, you did not know that Latinos tend to drink a lot and black women (usually they don't drink a lot, rather they smoke a lot of chronic - which probably accounts for overeating and the weight gain on the bootie) tend to have big booties ?

You obviously never lived in Miami.

Daniel1611

Probably not wise to make a test question about "booties." I'd probably cancel the pop quiz about "ba-zoongas" too, if I were in charge.

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Easy. Mother is heterozygous and big booty is dominant. (Aa) Hence phenotype is big.

Dad is small, and therefore homozygous (aa; it's not what you think, Nick) for small booty.

So the Punnett Square is:

Punnett6.gif

Showing 50% chance that offspring will be heterozygous, (Aa) and have big booty, and 50% chance that they will be homozygous (aa) and have small booty.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Charlotte-Mecklenburg Public is predominantly black, I'm led to understand. So I have to wonder the skin color of the teacher using the question...it might not necessarily have been white. If it wasn't, that might explain the relative lack of uproar. Awaiting further data.

No matter what color the teacher was, it was an inappropriate question and its been admitted to being used by several teachers, i want to know why anyone teaching thinks its ok.

musterion

No matter what color the teacher was, it was an inappropriate question and its been admitted to being used by several teachers, i want to know why anyone teaching thinks its ok.

Oh I agree, don't get me wrong. But if this were a white teacher, I'd expect to have already seen wall to wall Outrage of the Day coverage on every news outlet (and rightly so, for once). I don't think I've heard a thing about it apart from here, though.