In Memoriam

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
This can be a thread for any loss among us and, I think, the friend I'm thinking of today would like that, would like the notion of starting something new and resonant among us, something meaningful and true in a place he gave so much to, even as he leaves us for a time.

It begins, for me, with Thomas Ellis, the Psalmist.

To say he was my friend is insufficient, but to say anything without saying everything would feel that way. For nearly nine years he was a constant touchstone for me, offering a joke, insights into life and evidence of a life well spent in the service of our faith, notes and notices about my Jack and hopeful, affirmative counsel...and when he thought I could take it without changing hats, a gentle nod, a nudge of praise and confidence that never failed to move me and raise my spirits. I remember one day he asked to quote me and use it in his larger life and I was impossible for the rest of the week. :)

Most of us who have been around this neighborhood for long have our stories and know the obvious. His birthday thread attention was legendary as was his Praise the Lord, in its three incarnations. But for me Psalmist, Thomas begins and ends with a thought of kindness and humor tied into a passion for Christ that so obviously transformed him that any time I spent around him here or elsewhere left me stronger for it. I'll miss sharing an appreciation of old cars with him, of hearing his "Lawyer Daggett!" and whatever followed...he was funny when he wanted to be and always appreciated humor that wasn't steeped in venom.

We shared baseball and racing stories, talked about old movies and song, thought aloud about the bits and pieces of our lives. I'm happy now to find a great deal of conversation in my profile to go back through. I hope some of you are doing the same in yours. We passed a good bit of time laughing together about things. Especially early on, before he was here less and less and life took up more and more of my time. I was lucky to have any part of that life and I know it, feel it more keenly in its passing.

I will miss him.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Psalmist was always so diligent with his birthday threads. You could tell that this place meant a lot to him. His encouragement and edification to everybody was very uplifting. Always with a kind or sympathetic word. My heart hurts because he is no longer with us but it also rejoices over what he must be experiencing right now. Can't wait to meet him one day. I will truly miss him.

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Psalmist was always so diligent with his birthday threads. You could tell that this place meant a lot to him. His encouragement and edification to everybody was very uplifting. Always with a kind or sympathetic word. My heart hurts because he is no longer with us but it also rejoices over what he must be experiencing right now. Can't wait to meet him one day. I will truly miss him.
Yes he did, Poly.
When he became ill and was no longer able to be here every day, he asked if I would continue his birthday wishes tradition to all (regardless of their religious or political views).
It was a lovely jester on his part, and I felt honored to carry on the torch he started and was so diligent to maintain (as I'm sure many here would have done the same).

He was one of the reasons I just love this place!
His contributions and generosity here will not be forgotten.

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
One of my last direct communications with Psalmist:

September 19th, 2014 03:16 AM
Hope your feeling well ... It's been a real struggle the past 3-4 months, more respiratory (copd) than the slow progressive Parkinson's, the Parkinson's is managed with meds for now.

Memorial Drive Presbyterian Church where Violet does her BSD class on Thursday, they come by every 3-4 days to how we are doing, that a real booster to the spirit. So overall we're taken care of and look forward to each new day as a blessing; how is it with you all?

A couple more from our eight year communication on TOL (our private emails to one another are too personal and often poignant to publish):

January 2nd, 2011 07:58 PM
With resolute endeavors,
be encouraged dear brother and friend, be encouraged...

The Lord bless you and keep you;
The Lord make His face shine upon you,
And be gracious to you;
The Lord lift up His countenance upon you,
And give you peace.

May the joy of the Lord be your strength.

And as your day, so shall your strength be.

Psalmist

September 18th, 2010 01:57 PM
Violet and I are well, minor changes as we get older. Thankfully my eyesight is stable very little change, however my lung capacity has changed, that means doing the walks and the like a little slower. But Praise the Lord, His mercies are new everyday.

No matter what he was dealing with, he always took time for another's trials and tribulations and, like Job, glorified God without complaint. I will continue to remember his wife, Violet, in my prayers.

AMR

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
@Knight

TOL needs a username profile tag or group membership tag for posts from those that have gone on to their glory. "In The Lord's Bosom" or something similar. If that is too offensive to those that would take issue with the summary final destination of another, then perhaps at least "In the Lord's Hands Now".

AMR

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
TOL needs a username profile tag or group membership tag for posts from those that have gone on to their glory. "In The Lord's Bosom" or something similar. If that is too offensive to those that would take issue with the summary final destination of another, then perhaps at least "In the Lord's Hands Now".

AMR
That's a grand idea. You should share it with Knight. We've lost a few good ones over the years.

MichaelCadry

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Dear Town Heretic,

See Rev. 6:11 KJV, "until their fellow servants also and their brethren , that should be killed as they {his fellow servants and brethren} were, should be fulfilled." See also Rev. 14:13 KJV, "Blessed are the dead which 'die in the Lord from henceforth;' Yea, saith the Spirit, that they may rest from their labors; and their works {in Heaven} do follow them."

I do hope that you understand this. Psalmist died in the Lord. He is definitely Blessed by the Lord, as the verses above say. Now Psalmist works in Heaven for the Lord. I have a 13 year old calico cat who I named Psalm. May God be with him and his loved ones, especially his wife!!

God Hold You In His Bosom, Psalmist!!

Michael