I'm new. Book recommendations?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Hi guys, I was excited to find this forum. I am pretty new to studying theology at age 23. Any advice about using this forum to it's best potential and books to get started with?
Please start with the book of Romans (epistle)

READ Romans thru Philemon to understand this current dispensation and fully understand the gospel of grace given to Paul directly from the Risen Ascended Christ

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
I agree with PJ about reading Romans thru Philemon, using Paul's writings as the lens through which to view the whole Bible.

Many Preterists here, appear to recommend that one should get familiar with the teachings of John Nelson Darby. They talk about it all the time.

PureX

Hi guys, I was excited to find this forum. I am pretty new to studying theology at age 23. Any advice about using this forum to it's best potential and books to get started with?
Welcome!

My advice is don't become a "Bibleolator": one of those people who worships every word in the Bible as if it had come directly from God's own mouth. It didn't.

And as to other books, I strongly suggest reading some Thomas Merton. Maybe find a copy of 'A Thomas Merton Reader' or 'Conjectures Of A Guilty Bystander'. These are both journal type collections and are both excellent food for theological contemplation.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Read Ephesians !! It was written to you -

Ephesians 3:1-2 KJV - Ephesians 3:3-4 KJV -

Ephesians 3:5 KJV - Ephesians 3:6 KJV - Ephesians 3:7 KJV -

Nang

TOL Subscriber
Wow.. is this forum Dispensational? I've heard weird things about Dispensationalism.

You heard right.

Yes, this forum is dominated by Mid-Acts Dispensationalists, who recommend restricted reading of the Bible, and with whom Reformers such as myself disagree.

I hold to Covenant Theology which is much different than the above, so interesting discussions develop between the two views.

Welcome to this site, but be on guard and test the spirits. I John 4:4

May God bless your studies!

Nang

njspolk

From a Newbie to another, welcome! Idk what your theological background is, but I would suggest reading On Christian Theology by Rowan Williams. He's ridiculously smart. Looking forward to seeing more of your posts! :D