I have an Idea for a new Christian Branch.

Huckleberry

I know, but trying to be like Him will help us minutely see the world as he sees it, and thus be able to apply what we see to better others and the world.

Great. But it cannot make you good. Nothing you can do, even with all the truth and power that science can discover for you, even from now until our last days, can give you the ability to do anything that is as righteous as God. Science cannot make man us His equal.

All the "good" things you do are, compared to God's righteousness, practically nothing. If you love truth and desire to do good, then you need Jesus Christ.

Luke 12:20 But God said to him, ‘Fool! This night your soul will be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?’

In other words, on your last day alive nothing you've accomplished will matter a wit to you. You will go to face judgment and nothing you have done, no matter how good or great, will acquit you.

James Shepard

No I rate my knowledge of His word very small. The Bible helps us understand what we need to do to be able to fix and build the universe. Using his other words of math and science help us achieve that end.

James Shepard

Of course not. We can never be equal with him, but by trying to do so, we see what we have to do to make the world and the universe the way He wants. We will never be his equal but trying to do so helps us understand His plan.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
No I rate my knowledge of His word very small.

The Bible helps us understand what we need to do to be able to fix and build the universe. Using his other words of math and science help us achieve that end.

If you really believe that, i would think it of utmost importance to know His word.

Wouldnt that be the best place to start, getting to know His word better?

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Is the resurrection of Jesus Christ one of those moral stories?
What's the ultimate meaning of "resurrection"? Shouldn't THAT be the standard and not the various ways the tradition was expressed in the Bible and nowadays?

Huckleberry

No I rate my knowledge of His word very small. The Bible helps us understand what we need to do to be able to fix and build the universe. Using his other words of math and science help us achieve that end.
Of course not. We can never be equal with him, but by trying to do so, we see what we have to do to make the world and the universe the way He wants. We will never be his equal but trying to do so helps us understand His plan.
If you really believe that, i would think it of utmost importance to know His word.

Yup. :up:

aikido7

BANNED
Banned

Which translation of his word? Which version of the Bible do we use to get to know "His word"?

And which book, verse or passage in the Bible do we use as the lens through which we interpret what we read?

Huckleberry

Where to start?

Where to start?

Here's some good advice, I think, on where and how to start exploring the bible.

From gotquestions.org (a very nice resource for new Christians and anyone interested in the bible).

"...any first reading of the Bible should begin with the Gospels. The gospel of Mark is quick and fast-paced and is a good place to start. Then you might want to go on to the gospel of John, which focuses on the things Jesus claimed about Himself. Mark tells about what Jesus did, while John tells about what Jesus said and who Jesus was. In John are some of the simplest and clearest passages, but also some of the deepest and most profound passages. Reading the Gospels (Matthew, Mark, Luke, John) will familiarize you with Christ’s life and ministry.

After that, read through some of the Epistles (Romans, Ephesians, Philippians). They teach us how to live our lives in a way that is honoring to God. When you start reading the Old Testament, read the book of Genesis. It tells us how God created the world and how mankind fell into sin, as well as the impact that fall had on the world. Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers, and Deuteronomy can be hard to read because they get into all the laws God required the Jews to live by. While you should not avoid these books, they are perhaps better left for later study. In any case, try not to get bogged down in them. Read Joshua through Chronicles to get a good history of Israel. Reading Psalms through Song of Solomon will give you a good feel for Hebrew poetry and wisdom. The prophetic books, Isaiah through Malachi, can be hard to understand as well. Remember, the key to understanding the Bible is asking God for wisdom (James 1:5). God is the author of the Bible, and He wants you to understand His Word."

James Shepard

I have read the Gospels. I just cannot accept (with God being perfect), He would allow these bad things to remain in the Universe unless he did so on purpose. I will not accept it.

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
I have read the Gospels. I just cannot accept (with God being perfect), He would allow these bad things to remain in the Universe unless he did so on purpose. I will not accept it.

You evidently don't believe that there was an actual space-time fall where the creation was brought into subjection to corruption by the sin of the first man, which explains sufficiently why the creation is in the mess it is at this present time.
GOD explains all of this in His Word and it is really the only satisfactory answer to evil and death in GOD's originally perfect creation.

The answer to man's problems: Believe GOD!.....what He says!

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
You evidently don't believe that there was an actual space-time fall where the creation was brought into subjection to corruption by the sin of the first man, which explains sufficiently why the creation is in the mess it is at this present time.
GOD explains all of this in His Word and it is really the only satisfactory answer to evil and death in GOD's originally perfect creation.

The answer to man's problems: Believe GOD!.....what He says!

:thumb: But they will keep looking for alternates.

Huckleberry

Ecclesiastes 7:27-29
27 Here is what I have found,” says the Preacher,
“Adding one thing to the other to find out the reason,
28 Which my soul still seeks but I cannot find:
One man among a thousand I have found,
But a woman among all these I have not found.
29 Truly, this only I have found:
That God made man upright,
But they have sought out many schemes.”

steko

LIFETIME MEMBER
No I cannot accept it. Why would our mistake transfer to the rest of the universe? We are very insignificant

That's where you're wrong, man is made in the image of GOD and thus is extremely significant. Man was given dominion over this planet and lost that dominion to an evil other. Christ came to restore all things.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote function:
All you have to do is click the 'quote' button at the bottom right in my post.
My post will come up in a box. Respond to it underneath and click 'Submit Reply'.