I have an Idea for a new Christian Branch.

Huckleberry

And my claim? The fact he gave us free will. If He truly wanted to make us be good without discovering it ourselves, he would take that away and we would just be puppets. But by making the world in the ideal image He would want, we better understand Him and our place and come closer to Him

Could it be that He wants us to learn that we cannot be good without Him? That's what Christianity says.

James Shepard

Well I do not know if it is from God. He works mysteriously. But I had this revelation when I was recovering from something that should have killed me. I feel I was saved for a purpose. And it feel this ideal in every fiber of my being. I feel it in my heart, i feel it in my mind. I feel and see it when I am at the lab.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Well I do not know if it is from God. He works mysteriously. But I had this revelation when I was recovering from something that should have killed me. I feel I was saved for a purpose. And it feel this ideal in every fiber of my being. I feel it in my heart, i feel it in my mind. I feel and see it when I am at the lab.

If you actually had a revelation that came from God, you would know it.

James Shepard

Hes not going to be doing a parade and spelling "subtlety" like this "SUBTLELY" It is up to us to interpret what He gave us. Thus going to my Hints idea.

Huckleberry

Well I do not know if it is from God.
Well, that seems a rather important question, don't you think?
He works mysteriously. But I had this revelation when I was recovering from something that should have killed me. I feel I was saved for a purpose. And it feel this ideal in every fiber of my being. I feel it in my heart, i feel it in my mind. I feel and see it when I am at the lab.
What purpose?

I'm glad that whatever unfortunate thing that happened to you has prompted you to seek God, but as a scientist don't you think it behooves you to more closely examine the most prevalent, well established, religious faith on the planet, rather than dismissing it out of hand? And to do so out of incredulity, certainly!

Let me suggest you not waste this opportunity to take a careful, measured look at Christianity and the scripture it derives from. Seems more than reasonable to me. :idunno:

George Affleck

TOL Subscriber
Devious things made in the name of the Bible? easy. The Inquisition, the Reconquista, The Crusades, vast corruption which lead to the Reformation, the whole of Westboro Baptist, etc. I can go on.

If I were to do some terrible things and then claim that you were my inspiration for doing them, would this mean that you were in any way responsible?

None of these were done in the name of the Bible, except for Westboro; rather, the claim was made that they were doing right. They were done because people wanted to do them and then tried to take the Bible out of context for justification.

Less than half the lies people tell are true.

James Shepard

And I always had God in my heart. This accident happened when I was younger. I used to be almost like a fundamentalist, but I could not accept this happening to me. I cursed Him for letting this happen to me, I cried, I was scared I would never see any of my family or friends again. But then, before I made significant progress, I had.. ithink a dream, i could have been really out of it so I might have been awake. I saw a mighty beautiful skyscraper being built, I saw everyone working on it, trying to better themselves and be like the boss. On top of the skyscraper, I saw the cross. I knew then that we must strive to be like Him (to the best of our ability). When I started studying science, I saw that it can be done. That science is His true language and that we must use it as a tool.

Damn i feel really crazy saying that lol

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
And I always had God in my heart. This accident happened when I was younger. I used to be almost like a fundamentalist, but I could not accept this happening to me. I cursed Him for letting this happen to me, I cried, I was scared I would never see any of my family or friends again. But then, before I made significant progress, I had.. ithink a dream, i could have been really out of it so I might have been awake. I saw a mighty beautiful skyscraper being built, I saw everyone working on it, trying to better themselves and be like the boss. On top of the skyscraper, I saw the cross. I knew then that we must strive to be like Him (to the best of our ability). When I started studying science, I saw that it can be done. That science is His true language and that we must use it as a tool.

Damn i feel really crazy saying that lol

What does this mean? " I used to be almost like a fundamentalist"

Huckleberry

I knew then that we must strive to be like Him (to the best of our ability). When I started studying science, I saw that it can be done. That science is His true language and that we must use it as a tool.

Again, science is method of discovering the truth. It is not the truth. It can't be and still be science!

If you are truly a scientist, then you are a lover of the truth.

Here's the truth...

Matthew 7:13-14
13 “Enter by the narrow gate; for wide is the gate and broad is the way that leads to destruction, and there are many who go in by it. 14 Because narrow is the gate and difficult is the way which leads to life, and there are few who find it.

1 Peter 5:8
8 Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour.

2 Peter 3:9
9 The Lord is not slack concerning His promise, as some count slackness, but is longsuffering toward us, not willing that any should perish but that all should come to repentance.

Romans 6:23
23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.

John 3:18
18 “He who believes in Him is not condemned; but he who does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

Acts 4:12
12 Nor is there salvation in any other, for there is no other name under heaven given among men by which we must be saved.”

2 Timothy 3:16
16 All Scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness,

James Shepard

I am very aware. But its still like trying to use the tools of math and science to be like Him. For what we know, they are true, but might be proven wrong. But i think you are more focused on theory and what we know now. I am saying science and math as a whole, things we have discovered and things we have yet to discover. That is a way we strive to be like him.

James Shepard

And the thing is, you better understand God and your relationship to Him when you question, argue, reaffirm and look for ways of how to apply your Faith. I feel I have a very strong connection to Him, as I have done everything I can to build and fix things the way He would have wanted.

Huckleberry

I am very aware. But its still like trying to use the tools of math and science to be like Him. For what we know, they are true, but might be proven wrong. But i think you are more focused on theory and what we know now. I am saying science and math as a whole, things we have discovered and things we have yet to discover. That is a way we strive to be like him.
Isaiah 64:6
But we are all like an unclean thing, And all our righteousnesses are like filthy rags; We all fade as a leaf, And our iniquities, like the wind, Have taken us away.

Are you claiming the pursuit of science can overcome this truth? Because if not...if we cannot achieve a righteousness on equal with God Himself...we will always be less than He. And less than He is what sin is.

Unless we can achieve a righteous on equal with God's, we cannot be saved of ourselves. We need Him to make us righteous.

That is Christianity. Christianity appreciates science and recognizes its beauty, but it is not deluded to think it can save us.

James Shepard

I know, but trying to be like Him will help us minutely see the world as he sees it, and thus be able to apply what we see to better others and the world.

James Shepard

I know we need him to save us, but we cannot just expect Him to do everything for us. We have to strive to make the world and each other better

James Shepard

Very small Angel, there are just things as Humans we will probably never know. Even though you can quote scripture, that does not mean you know His word even if you believe so. Applying what you believe is His word to make the world and others better, is knowing His word.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Very small Angel, there are just things as Humans we will probably never know. Even though you can quote scripture, that does not mean you know His word even if you believe so. Applying what you believe is His word to make the world and others better, is knowing His word.

So you want to be like Him, yet rate His word, very small.

So, you dont believe the bible legit, is that it? Same premise that started Mormonism and JWs - is that why you want to start a new religion?