I am disgusted!

Mr. 5020

Poly said:
To refuse somebody water who is in desperate need of it to save his/her life would be wrong if it's within our power to do this. We've already seen that those who are attempting to get her water at this point are having no success and it wouldn't be a sin if one didn't try. But it's so understanding to see somebody so moved, thinking "I'm going to get water to her if it kills me". Sometimes we want the right thing done so bad we can't see anything else but wanting desperately to accomplish it.

I have to be honest and say that Wamba's suggestion of a huge group bombarding has entered my mind as well. I don't have the resources to get down there but if I knew for sure that there was going to be a massive take over and that the outcome was that she would be very likely to get the nourishment to save her life, I would be awfully tempted to find a way. A lot of wishful thinking going on right now with a lot of people.
:thumb: Good post.

Imrahil

LIFETIME MEMBER
Mr. 5020 said:
So, where is the line drawn? If we must break laws to "love our neighbor," should we start shooting judges, abortionists, and (hopefully) Hillary Clinton. You would make her nearly starve to death, and then make her go through the whole process again. That just sounds like torture.

No, we don't kill people if we do not have the proper authority or authorization because that power is not delegated to everyone. Everyone does have the authorization to intervene in a situation where an innocent person is being harmed or in this case, murdered even if it becomes necessary to kill the criminal.

SOTK

I think in some unfortunate and wrong situations like this all we can do is be outspoken and pray. Good intentions can sometimes make matters worse and not better.

Wamba

`
LIFETIME MEMBER
Imrahil said:
No, we don't kill people if we do not have the proper authority or authorization because that power is not delegated to everyone. Everyone does have the authorization to intervene in a situation where an innocent person is being harmed or in this case, murdered even if it becomes necessary to kill the criminal.

Exactly

Mr. 5020

Imrahil said:
Like abortionists?

Crow

You know, instead of being frustrated, use the opportunity that this sad case provides. In the last few nights at work it has been a hot topic of discussion. It was interesting to see that several people who originally were OK with turning off Terri's feeding have now switched sides. If nothing else, use what you've seen here to help you get some advance directives into writing. Don't let the courts decide whether or not you are worthy of hydration and nourishment.

Mr. 5020

SOTK said:
I think in some unfortunate and wrong situations like this all we can do is be outspoken and pray. Good intentions can sometimes make matters worse and not better.
Exactly.

Imrahil

LIFETIME MEMBER
Mr. 5020 said:
Like abortionists?

I think we would be authorized to intervene or even kill an abortionist if he is attempting to kill a child just as we would to protect a child from anyone else. I don't think that we have the right to simply kill him whenever we want just as we aren't authorized to kill someone who will eventually kill an innocent person. It all depends on the situation and the escalation of force.

Mr. 5020

Imrahil said:
I think we would be authorized to intervene or even kill an abortionist if he is attempting to kill a child just as we would to protect a child from anyone else. I don't think that we have the right to simply kill him whenever we want just as we aren't authorized to kill someone who will eventually kill an innocent person. It all depends on the situation and the escalation of force.
So, to make sure I understand you, if a doctor down the street was about to perform an abortion, it would be okay for me to walk in and shoot him in the head, am I correct?

P.S. I am done for tonight. I average 3 posts per day, and I've quadrupled that in this thread alone. I'm all TOL'd out (though if you feel like yelling at me, I am Mister5020 on AIM and Mr_5020 on YIM, which I should still be logged into for a while.

Imrahil

LIFETIME MEMBER
Mr. 5020 said:
So, to make sure I understand you, if a doctor down the street was about to perform an abortion, it would be okay for me to walk in and shoot him in the head, am I correct?

P.S. I am done for tonight. I average 3 posts per day, and I've quadrupled that in this thread alone. I'm all TOL'd out.

You have the right to try to stop him. If it escalates to the point where violence is merited than yes, you may fire when ready. You don't get to kill him if he's a med student considering abortion as a career or if he is to perform an abortion tomorrow or sometime later. Similarly, you can kill some who is breaking into your home to kill you but you don't get to kill them if they say, "I'm going to kill you tomorrow".

Granite

Hall of Fame
You can always make a scene, get thrown in jail, and all the time listen to Terri's parents beseech you to stop...:rolleyes:

Wamba

`
LIFETIME MEMBER
granite1010 said:
You can always make a scene, get thrown in jail, and all the time listen to Terri's parents beseech you to stop...:rolleyes:

She needs water. So I would say all of those things are worth it. And the Schindlers need to realize that the people who try to give her water are admirable.

Mr. 5020

Wamba the Fool said:
You have the right to try to stop him. If it escalates to the point where violence is merited than yes, you may fire when ready.
That would be taking execution into your own hands, wouldn't it?
Wamba the Fool said:
She needs water. So I would say all of those things are worth it. And the Schindlers need to realize that the people who try to give her water are admirable.
No they're not.

Imrahil

LIFETIME MEMBER
Mr. 5020 said:
That would be taking execution into your own hands, wouldn't it?

That first quote was actually by me. No, it's not executing someone, it's saving an innocent life just as self-defence is. Execution is killing someone for a crime. Self-defence (or the defence of others) is different because it is simply defending an innocent life from an unlawful killing.

ShadowMaid

Mr. 5020 said:
Yes, in ways that are actually beneficial.

What ways do you consider beneficial?

Do you think the cops would benefit from passive activity? It's not just about Terri, it's about right and wrong.

Last edited:

Mr. 5020

ShadowMaid said:
What ways do you consider beneficial?
Mr. 5020 said:
What should we do? Your suggestions are at best, unrealistic; at worst, torture. Many people are doing the only things they can do: pray (if they believe in such a thing), protest, and I have sent countless e-mails and made 2 phone calls to Jeb Bush's office.