How's homeschooling going?

King cobra

DOCTA
LIFETIME MEMBER
It hasn't been so far due to monetary restrictions, but I'm always open to the possibility.

I understand, completely. Our school offered some creative ways to help. Many of our parents supplied services in exchange for tuition. Services such as cleaning, game officiating, grounds care and the like. And, oftentimes these services could be rendered with kids in tow, even helping.

I hope this doesn't sound insensitive, but given what I've seen of you on TOL, I think Christian school should only be temporary...until you find another good woman to help raise your children in the way you know they should go.

Breathe

Public schooling works just fine for some, there's no doubting that. Like you said no method works for everyone or is perfect and you are right. There are so many perks though to being homeschooled and a lot of people are bothered by homeschooling because they don't think we think the way their kids are learning is good enough. The reason homeschooling is so great is that for somebody like me who isn't academically skilled, but still smart, can still have the ability to show that I'm smart. I have the ability to learn things I apply other than on a test. Some people learn things by learning it for a test, a lot of people don't. Public education is a system, a cookie cutter, a mold that blanketed on people. If people cannot fit in that cookie cutter or mold they have a very tough time getting a job and therefor functioning in society. My sister is one of those academic people, like your son. Her academics have improved dramatically since homeschooling. Why? Because she can constantly challenge herself instead of sitting through a boring class of something she already understands. Homeschooling allows people to learn at their own rate and in their own way. Some people learn at the rate of public education, and that's fine, but quite a few people don't.
Thank you for a well thought out and very courteous answer. :)
My son managed to be challenged well in public school by taking advanced placement classes. Another advantage to AP classes is their potential for college credit. For my son, that meant a year's worth of credit, and only three years to finish college. Is this option available to home schoolers? When he started school, the home school options, programs, athletics and perks were very limited in comparison to public - or even private - schools. Even though I am a certified teacher, that lack in the program led us to public schools.

Jordan Fontenot

Thank you for a well thought out and very courteous answer. :)
My son managed to be challenged well in public school by taking advanced placement classes. Another advantage to AP classes is their potential for college credit. For my son, that meant a year's worth of credit, and only three years to finish college. Is this option available to home schoolers? When he started school, the home school options, programs, athletics and perks were very limited in comparison to public - or even private - schools. Even though I am a certified teacher, that lack in the program led us to public schools.

Dual-credit and college classes are available to both public and homeschoolers. A good friend of mine, who I now go to college with, was homeschooled and she was able to come in with enough credit hours to be considered a sophomore. As far as programs and athletics are concerned I have not felt a lack in anything. As a matter of fact I could choose which athletic groups and teams I wished to join, and compete with private, and some public, schools. I've been the chaplain for a civics club, been on 2 student councils, 3 dance commites, went with a homeschool group to help lobby a bill for state legislation twice, worked with countless pliticians and worked in 4 robotics groups and 9 theatre productions. Never really a dull moment.

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I understand, completely. Our school offered some creative ways to help. Many of our parents supplied services in exchange for tuition. Services such as cleaning, game officiating, grounds care and the like. And, oftentimes these services could be rendered with kids in tow, even helping.

I hope this doesn't sound insensitive, but given what I've seen of you on TOL, I think Christian school should only be temporary...until you find another good woman to help raise your children in the way you know they should go.

It isn't at all insensitive, and I appreciate your comments.

Breathe

Dual-credit and college classes are available to both public and homeschoolers. A good friend of mine, who I now go to college with, was homeschooled and she was able to come in with enough credit hours to be considered a sophomore. As far as programs and athletics are concerned I have not felt a lack in anything. As a matter of fact I could choose which athletic groups and teams I wished to join, and compete with private, and some public, schools. I've been the chaplain for a civics club, been on 2 student councils, 3 dance commites, went with a homeschool group to help lobby a bill for state legislation twice, worked with countless pliticians and worked in 4 robotics groups and 9 theatre productions. Never really a dull moment.
I am very glad to know that these opportunities exist for those who choose to home school! Hopefully everyone who home schools will take advantage of them. :)

1PeaceMaker

I am very glad to know that these opportunities exist for those who choose to home school! Hopefully everyone who home schools will take advantage of them. :)

Why everyone? I didn't. But that didn't hinder me from getting what I wanted out of my home education. I was able to complete high school in 2 years with good grades, and then I wanted to be a medical missionary, so I volunteered at a mission school until I married young at 18 instead of taking the course at the school. (Actually, I took courses while there but never became an official student.)

The move was right for me. I've found that I'm more satisfied as an autodidact, learning from life and the tools available through the internet, because my life is one of becoming an expert in motherhood. I realize that this is considered a lowly vocation to most women, but I find it challenging, mentally stimulating and fulfilling. I wouldn't trade it for any college degree.

To each their own.

1PeaceMaker

Thanks, 1PM.

As for Summer vacation, I haven't really had to experience one yet so I'm not certain. My wife passed away at the end of August this past year, so Summer was nearly at an end. My parents live in another state, and my sister lives in Maryland.

Is the main concern a lack of babysitting? Are your kids at an age where they can fend for themselves in the home? Can you take them along with you where you work to keep an eye on them?

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior
I wasn't belittling those that keep their children at home and teach them good Christian values that they obviously won't learn from a public education; I was giving accolades to those that spread the word of God to those who obviously won't hear it from homeschooled kids.

If this isn't the thread to discuss that in, my apologies.

Well no harm no foul...but in my defense, I'm a preacher...

Thank goodness that you're not a teacher in the public school district, your wishy washy attempt at justifying sinful behavior would be too confusing for the children.

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2868141&postcount=1

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Are you suggesting that public school children don't have homeschooler friends? Cause I've got news for you, my children play with as many public schoolers as homeschoolers. There is such a thing as school is out or summer vacation, you know.

No, I'm not suggesting it, I'm stating that it's a fact.

Why would good little homeschooled Christian parents want to have their kids around heathens, some of whose skin color might be dark?

1PeaceMaker

The you are pretty dull. I've walked both lines. I've been a public schooler with homeschooler friends, a homeschooler with public-schooler friends, and a mother with homeschooled children and public schooled friends. What - you don't think weekends, summer vacation or public playgrounds exist? :doh:

BTW, for someone who's regularly hyperventilating over homosexuality, you are taking a pretty strange stance on public schools. What kind of officer are you, the kind who polices schools? Are you afraid that if the public school population shrinks your paycheck will be cut? :patrol: It's just... weird. Tell me, have you ever toted a tazer in school zones? I understand they get used on small children during school hours.

Meanwhile, my kids have been spared perverse sex-ed classes. So consider that.

Why would good little homeschooled Christian parents want to have their kids around heathens, some of whose skin color might be dark?

This little parent isn't worried about my children meeting and talking to other children, it's the teachers and school system that's the problem. Christianity or any type of serious spirituality isn't exactly welcome, in case you didn't notice.

But you know, when I was a kid, I took Bible Story books to public school and stood up for my constitutional rights. I bucked the system and made a stink when they tried to conform my conscience to their curriculum. So I'm aware of how broken the system can be. I tried to evangelize to the other kids, but I had more chance for that out of school than in. (From a very young age I wanted to be a missionary.)

1PeaceMaker

Jordan Fontenot

I think my african-american friends might disagree with you. Also the fact that I'm even in college would pretty much shatter this idea. You don't know anything about those who homeschool. You don't know any of their situations and you don't care to, so in all logic this thread is no place for you. I don't mind people who have issues with homeschooling trying to educatate themselves on the subject, but to call us all racist hateful ignorant biggots who can't associate with society is wrong, and in this case, hypocritical. Please stop posting on this thread.

Jordan Fontenot

Quote:
Originally Posted by aCultureWarrior
I wasn't belittling those that keep their children at home and teach them good Christian values that they obviously won't learn from a public education; I was giving accolades to those that spread the word of God to those who obviously won't hear it from homeschooled kids.

If this isn't the thread to discuss that in, my apologies.

Thank goodness that you're not a teacher in the public school district, your wishy washy attempt at justifying sinful behavior would be too confusing for the children.

http://www.theologyonline.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2868141&postcount=1

Well at least I stand for something...

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
I think my african-american friends might disagree with you.

Now are your friends "African" or "American"?

Also the fact that I'm even in college would pretty much shatter this idea. You don't know anything about those who homeschool. You don't know any of their situations and you don't care to, so in all logic this thread is no place for you. I don't mind people who have issues with homeschooling trying to educatate themselves on the subject, but to call us all racist hateful ignorant biggots who can't associate with society is wrong, and in this case, hypocritical.

Drop the second "g" in biggot. Homeschooling nor college doesn't seem to have helped your spelling.

Please stop posting on this thread.

Thank you for proving my point preacher Jordan:

Those that don't agree with your views are not welcome in your world.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Irrelevant to this thread, and I see that once again you drag it up. Anywhere and everywhere, if you can make it about homosexuality, you do, it seems to me. What a pattern you like to keep going! :think:

I noticed in your private message to me that you have issues with people talking about a sin that God abhors.

It appears that you're sensitive about that issue for some reason.

Is that topic not allowed to be discussed in the 1PeaceMaker's homeschool curriculum?