How Bout Them Cowboys!

Jerry Shugart

The Dallas Cowboys have now won ten straight games, and they have done it with a rookie running back and a rookie quarterback. They have three All Pros on their offensive line and they are all young.

The sky is the limit for this team, both this year and in the future!

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Yep. I would not let Romo play again. He might have trade value. Or if he is a truly a stand up guy, he will be a ready, willing, and able back up. And Zeke Elliot is the real deal. Having him counter to Dez Bryant is the key. This is true of all football teams. You have to have balance and not be one dimensional.

Jerry Shugart

Yep. I would not let Romo play again. He might have trade value. Or if he is a truly a stand up guy, he will be a ready, willing, and able back up. And Zeke Elliot is the real deal. Having him counter to Dez Bryant is the key. This is true of all football teams. You have to have balance and not be one dimensional.

That's right. And all they need to make themselves invincible now is a pass rush.

Go Boys!

john w

Hall of Fame
Oh sure! How many times have you been on and off the Mayberry Tigers bandwagon?

Oh, you're a regular Curt Gowdy, ain'y ya, Mayor? Why don't you offer to be the play-by play announcer, for your local women's Roller Derby team, and give an exciting description of the chicks, pulling each others' hair out? I'd bet you would win an Emmy, for that, squirt! You shore are an Ebeneezer Scrooge, Mayor....

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Good one. You guys are too much!

Tonight's Game:

Cowboys 31
Vikings 13
Solid team. Playing about as well as any in the NFL right now. . . The only problem with rookie QBs is that by the playoffs teams have books on them and they don't tend to fare as well then. They're like great heat throwers in the early part of a Major League career. They don't have enough junk yet. So if whats in the bag doesn't work they're done for the night. Dak is really talented and I like the way he's handling himself under center, but the best defenses will be giving him pressure he mostly hasn't seen yet. The Ravens game was encouraging. Minnesota has a talented defense too, so this will be another good game to watch on that front.

Dallas is currently 16th in pass yds per game and 2nd in rushing yds per. They're 3rd in the league in off pts scored, 2 pts back of the Saints and 4 back of Atlanta. But they're 21st in yds given up on the other side of the ball but they've been stout in the red zone. Dallas shuts the run down (3rd best) but the worry here is in the passing game, where they're next to dead last in yards allowed. So far the ability to shut down teams trying to run it in close has saved them on the point totals, but that's a vulnerability that can kill you if you run into a hot hand late, like Rivers on a run or Eli in big games.

It's early, but you have to feel good about the Boys moving in the right direction.

Tonight's contest?

Lower and closer. They're 3.5 favorites. The differential has them at 4 to cover. I went with them, but I'm not as optimistic as you.

Jerry Shugart

the worry here is in the passing game, where they're next to dead last in yards allowed.

Thanks for your comments. They have very little pass rush and that is their biggest weakness. Also, the last four weeks two of their starting defensive backs have been out due to injury. But tonight one of them returns (Barry Church) so I believe that will help their defense.

Their best defense is their offense who usually wins the time of possession which keeps the defense off the field.

Jerry Shugart

Vikings fan here...Skol!

Cowboys 24
Vikings 30

I just don't see the Vikings scoring that many points. The Boys do give up a lot of yards but they rank fairly high in the points allowed category. On the other hand, the Vike's defense might limit the Boys to under twenty points but I doubt it.

Let's just hope both teams come out of the game injury free!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Thanks for your comments. They have very little pass rush and that is their biggest weakness. Also, the last four weeks two of their starting defensive backs have been out due to injury. But tonight one of them returns (Barry Church) so I believe that will help their defense.

Their best defense is their offense who usually wins the time of possession which keeps the defense off the field.
I'd tend to agree. That's how the Giants pulled New England's teeth in the first SB match up and how they did it against the Bills years earlier. I'd be happier if they found someone to rush effectively...I think they're the pride of the NFC now in the toughest division, echoing the west in the AFC. That said, the Pats, when healthy, might rattle them. I mean, New England is even better at keeping folks out of the end zone and they're only trailing Dallas on offensive production marginally, and that with Brady on the bench for four of the eleven games.

I'd get a kick out of a healthy Pats/Cowboys SB...though there are a few contenders who will have something to say about it on either side. I think the NFL is better for having Dallas and Oakland back in stride, the way college football needs a strong Golden Dome and Crimson Tide. :D

Jerry Shugart

That said, the Pats, when healthy, might rattle them. I mean, New England is even better at keeping folks out of the end zone and they're only trailing Dallas on offensive production marginally, and that with Brady on the bench for four of the eleven games.

I think that New England would probably beat the Boys if they both ended up in the Super Bowl. Their defense is much superior than the defense of Dallas and you know what thry say, that defense win championships.

I'd get a kick out of a healthy Pats/Cowboys SB...though there are a few contenders who will have something to say about it on either side. I think the NFL is better for having Dallas and Oakland back in stride, the way college football needs a strong Golden Dome and Crimson Tide. :D

I too would love to see a Pats/Cowboys SB. And I think that the Pats will have an easier time getting there than Dallas. Teams like Atlanta and Washington scare me in the playoffs.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I think that New England would probably beat the Boys if they both ended up in the Super Bowl.
Getting there might be hard enough. Gronk is going to have back surgery, so there goes a serious weapon. It makes them less imposing.

Their defense is much superior than the defense of Dallas and you know what thry say, that defense win championships.
In New England it goes "Kickers win championships", but they don't say it as much since Adam left town.

I too would love to see a Pats/Cowboys SB. And I think that the Pats will have an easier time getting there than Dallas. Teams like Atlanta and Washington scare me in the playoffs.
Washington...not sure about whether or not they have enough at the skill positions to wade deeply into the playoffs. Atlanta is a lot like Dallas, but I think they're mentally fragile. We'll see.

Jerry Shugart

Final Score

Cowboys 17
Vikings 15

It was ugly but we will take it.

But we better play better than that in ten days when we play the New York Giants.

Jerry Shugart

Getting there might be hard enough. Gronk is going to have back surgery, so there goes a serious weapon. It makes them less imposing.

That's for sure. No one causes more problems for a defense than he does.

Washington...not sure about whether or not they have enough at the skill positions to wade deeply into the playoffs. Atlanta is a lot like Dallas, but I think they're mentally fragile. We'll see.

Washington gave Dallas all they could handle. And how could Atlanta be fragile since they have Matty Ice? LOL!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
That's for sure. No one causes more problems for a defense than he does.
It will be interesting to see how it impacts the team. I'd say it moves them back into the pack. Of course, the good news for AFC contenders is that the Western Conference is going to keep one or two real competitors on the bench come playoff time.

Washington gave Dallas all they could handle.
That has more to do with your defensive woes. Philly played you close. The Giants played you close. So did the Steelers. The teams that padded the rest of your schedule? The oddly declining Bengals, the Bears and the Browns. The only surprise beat down was the one you handed the Ravens. So if Dallas wins against quality teams, which tends to be who you face in the playoffs, don't look for a dominating performance. They aren't quite built for it on the defensive side just yet.

Case in point, last night, which was low and slow, as I predicted. Should have taken the Vikings, but that's life. My model had it a three pt game, but everyone else had Dallas ahead by more and the differential (comparative averages) had Dallas and 4. Nuts. I hate games like that. They can kill you in a given week.

And how could Atlanta be fragile since they have Matty Ice? LOL!
Their history plays against them. They've been either poorly coached or inadequately staffed for a long time. Only the Bengals have squandered more potential in recent years. Same sort of problem there as in Atlanta too. I think they lack swagger and a depth of confidence. This year they're playing pinball, offensively, but as with Dallas their defense keeps other teams in the game. The only thing that makes me wonder if they can turn the corner is the drubbing they gave a decent Arizona, following the embarrassing loss to Philly right before the bye. The next few games are going to shake a few things out.

Jerry Shugart

It will be interesting to see how it impacts the team. I'd say it moves them back into the pack. Of course, the good news for AFC contenders is that the Western Conference is going to keep one or two real competitors on the bench come playoff time.

Yes, I agree with that.

That has more to do with your defensive woes. Philly played you close. The Giants played you close. So did the Steelers. The teams that padded the rest of your schedule? The oddly declining Bengals, the Bears and the Browns. The only surprise beat down was the one you handed the Ravens. So if Dallas wins against quality teams, which tends to be who you face in the playoffs, don't look for a dominating performance. They aren't quite built for it on the defensive side just yet.

The defense won the game for the Pokes last night. That was a surprise even though the Vikings' offense is nothing to write home about.

Case in point, last night, which was low and slow, as I predicted. Should have taken the Vikings, but that's life. My model had it a three pt game, but everyone else had Dallas ahead by more and the differential (comparative averages) had Dallas and 4. Nuts. I hate games like that. They can kill you in a given week.

You missed that one but you are fantastic when it comes to picking the winner of the spread. When are you going to pick 'the games this Sunday and Monday?

Their history plays against them. They've been either poorly coached or inadequately staffed for a long time. Only the Bengals have squandered more potential in recent years. Same sort of problem there as in Atlanta too. I think they lack swagger and a depth of confidence. This year they're playing pinball, offensively, but as with Dallas their defense keeps other teams in the game. The only thing that makes me wonder if they can turn the corner is the drubbing they gave a decent Arizona, following the embarrassing loss to Philly right before the bye. The next few games are going to shake a few things out.

Thanks!

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
The defense won the game for the Pokes last night. That was a surprise even though the Vikings' offense is nothing to write home about.
I think last night encapsulates my evaluation of the Cowboys. They went against a playoff caliber defense and it took a lot out of their offense. On the other side, as you rightly note, the Vikings offense isn't a playoff caliber variety (at least not without its signature RB out for a bit more) and the defense did enough.

I think that sums the problems you face. Come playoffs, they'll see more defense like that, but likely attached to better offense. To me, that means they're going to have to improve the defense. A rookie qb is only going to expand his game so much in his first year and the best defensive coordinators are going to have a decent book on what he does by the time it's important.

You missed that one but you are fantastic when it comes to picking the winner of the spread. When are you going to pick 'the games this Sunday and Monday?
Thanks. I enjoy thinking about and talking about football, so it's really good to have you active on the boards on point. I put in provisional picks for this week (on ESPN), but I'm going into finals and it's been hard to find time to spend fleshing it out here. Maybe something late today or tomorrow. I should have gone with my reservations on your guys yesterday, but really, until fairly late it looked like the gamble was going to pay off. When the numbers are that close it's just a stroke of luck that makes the difference one way or another.

:cheers: